Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at Tempest's Eye for the first time, and wondered what more experienced players thought of a little combo of:

• Ghur Battlemage (general) with Aura of Glory (and maybe Arcane Tome and Strike of Eagles)
  • Stormcast Protectors (General's Retinue)
  • Yndrasta
  • Emerald Lifeswarm

Basic idea being: With Aura of Glory and two Starsoul Maces, the Protectors do 4 x D3MW on 2+s, plus the 19 attacks with the Glaives on 3+,3+,-2. I work that out as an average of 7MW and 8 normal wounds at rend -2. 

The Ghur spell (Wildform) gives them +2 run and charge, so together with TE abilities, they could run 11-16" turn 1, to get them onto an objective. They also have a 1+ save in turn 1.

The Battlemage can pass on wounds to them on a 4+, and then heal them (and/or himself, or Yndrasta) with Lifeswarm, which he casts with a +2 (as he's in Ghur and casts endless spells with +1). Yndrasta can bring back one Protector per turn, if she's landed nearby (e.g. if popping over to heal herself).

So together, the little unit of Battlemage and Protectors might be quite tough to budge from an objective, could send out a few long-range moral wounds (with Strike of Eagles), and heal other units, and could provide a bodyguard for a shooting unit (e.g. a Hurricanum)

Worth trying?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KydbrookP said:

I'm looking at Tempest's Eye for the first time, and wondered what more experienced players thought of a little combo of:

• Ghur Battlemage (general) with Aura of Glory (and maybe Arcane Tome and Strike of Eagles)
  • Stormcast Protectors (General's Retinue)
  • Yndrasta
  • Emerald Lifeswarm

Basic idea being: With Aura of Glory and two Starsoul Maces, the Protectors do 4 x D3MW on 2+s, plus the 19 attacks with the Glaives on 3+,3+,-2. I work that out as an average of 7MW and 8 normal wounds at rend -2. 

The Ghur spell (Wildform) gives them +2 run and charge, so together with TE abilities, they could run 11-16" turn 1, to get them onto an objective. They also have a 1+ save in turn 1.

The Battlemage can pass on wounds to them on a 4+, and then heal them (and/or himself, or Yndrasta) with Lifeswarm, which he casts with a +2 (as he's in Ghur and casts endless spells with +1). Yndrasta can bring back one Protector per turn, if she's landed nearby (e.g. if popping over to heal herself).

So together, the little unit of Battlemage and Protectors might be quite tough to budge from an objective, could send out a few long-range moral wounds (with Strike of Eagles), and heal other units, and could provide a bodyguard for a shooting unit (e.g. a Hurricanum)

Worth trying?

So protectors can potentially be good in tempest eye, but I wouldn't rely on a battlemage (even with a retinue) to keep up the aura of glory.  At 5 wounds, with a 6+ save battlemages are just too squishy, especially with the number of mortal wounds around the game right now.  Additionally, Yndrasta does nothing for the army outside of maybe bringing back a protector, and she just doesn't carry enough weight for a 320 point unit.

For Aura of Glory carriers, I personally prefer either a Frostheart Phoenix (with arcane tome), a Lord-Arcanum on Taurelion, or the Celestial Hurricanum.  The Frostheart is a very resilient piece that is fast moving, can give a -1 to wound aura, and can easily choose where it needs to go.  The Lord-Arcanum on Taurelion is another large, durable, fast moving threat that has a large base to give Aura of Glory from.  Finally the Hurricanum is just generally good, giving a +1 to hit bubble in addition to the spell and a mortal wound ranged attack.

This is not to say don't bring a battlemage.  They are good, but I wouldn't make him the general and put a significant portion of your build behind him.

Overall, if you want to build around protectors, I would look at something like the following:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
Battlemage (115)
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Eagles: Aura of Glory
Runelord (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed
10 x Longbeards (105)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
30 x Irondrakes (510)
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Dreadspears (90)
10 x Protectors (450)
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Phoenix Guard (350)
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121
Drops: 8

This gives you a solid shooting threat in the irondrakes backed up by the runelord, and gives you 2 solid melee threats in the phoenix guard and the protectors.  It also all fits perfectly into a battle regiment, giving you solid turn priority.  The irondrakes can still be on a 2+/2+ with an all out attack (or if the hurricanum just stays nearish), while the hurricanum can buff either the protectors or the phoenix guard (or both) with a +1 to hit and potentially +1 attacks.  I would also probably just give the runelord the arcane tome to get 3 wizards, but if you want to run something else most of the rest of the list remains pretty open.

• Like 1

Thanks so much @readercolin, that’s really helpful. I see your point re: the battlemage’s 6+ save. 

I’ve got quite a few of these models, so will give a list like this a try (just might swap in crossbowmen for Irondrakes for now).

I do like the idea of the Runelord though - I know it’s not reliable, but if stars aligned and he did manage to cast Aura and Curse, those Phoenix Guard and Protectors would do a lot of mortals wounds.

Thanks for the advice

• 3 months later...

My problem is that I always lose in roll-offs to determine the turns, so this list is build around the idea of making almost each unit deal damage in the first turn of the first round. Outriders and Crossbows shoot the enemy, while the tank and flying machines keep the enemy melee units away for at least one turn. Outriders should all huddle around the Hurricanum, giving them 1+ to hit and to wound. The Freeguild General does the same for the Crossbows. My tests show I can deal between 40 and 50 wounds in the first turn with 4+ to save.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs: Inspired
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (290)*
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed
- Artefact: Patrician's Helm
- Lore of Eagles: Strike of Eagles
Freeguild General (100)*
- Artefact: Seerstone Amulet
Doralia ven Denst (115)*
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Runelord (95)**
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal
5 x Freeguild Outriders (115)**
5 x Freeguild Outriders (115)*
5 x Freeguild Outriders (115)
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)
- Reinforced x 1
1 x Gyrocopters (80)
1 x Gyrocopters (80)
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (155)
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon
Steam Tank (195)
*Warlord
**Vanguard
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136
Drops: 15

• Like 1

That's a very interesting army; do you have that many Outriders?!  Why not skip the Vanguard and do a Command Entourage for the artefact, then dump 1 unit of Outriders to augment the Steam Tank to a Commander, then you could net 2 Battle Regiments to decrease your drops to 5?  That way you'd be more likely to get first turn if you wanted to control the flow of the game better from the start.  You could probably then also fit in an Endless Spell of some sort (Shackles might be good).

I salute the use of Gyrocopters!  

After I sell off some stuff, some KO ships may find their way to my Cities collection of Duardin.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:24 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

That's a very interesting army; do you have that many Outriders?!  Why not skip the Vanguard and do a Command Entourage for the artefact, then dump 1 unit of Outriders to augment the Steam Tank to a Commander, then you could net 2 Battle Regiments to decrease your drops to 5?  That way you'd be more likely to get first turn if you wanted to control the flow of the game better from the start.  You could probably then also fit in an Endless Spell of some sort (Shackles might be good).

I salute the use of Gyrocopters!  

After I sell off some stuff, some KO ships may find their way to my Cities collection of Duardin.  

At this point I have only half the outriders, but I have ordered the other half. The reason why I didn't do Command Entourage is because my usual opponent always makes sure he has like 2 or 3 drops in total, so there's no point in trying to 'outdrop' him. Also the aim of this list is that it doesn't matter who takes the first turn: it is supposed to be equally unpleasant for the opponent.

The Steam Tank is just there to rush forward and be a meatshield (metal shield?) against the enemy melee units, keeping my Outriders safe: I don't expect it to do much damage and I see little use for a Commander, but another 5 Outriders around a Hurricanum with Hawk Eyes can do a lot of damage. You see my opponent plays Lumineth and Ironjaws, so I have to prepare against both an avalanche of melee units as well as having all my spells be disspelled.

Yes Gyrocopters can do a ton of damage to horde units: I mean if the two of them would park in front of a group of 40 goblins: that's potentially 80 attacks in total: and not even that bad (3+ and 4+ and -1 rend)

Anyway, thanks for the compliments :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on a knight Draconis and Phoenix right now.  Once I get those assembled my Cities will be on the table again, with Tempests Eye being the 2nd one I'll try after Living City and before Greywater.   Glad ppl are still using them and having some good games with them.    I'll NOT be using Krondspine.   One must have principles.  Gotrek is sometimes my principle.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm working on a knight Draconis and Phoenix right now.  

I just ordered two LotR great eagles for my phoenixes.  I was hoping I make the phoenixes great eagles but the sculpt is terrible so I had to pass and find an alternate route.

I've been thinking about the Cities Airforce, and how about this version?  Can't tell how bad or amazing it would perform?

Frostheart Phoenix (general/hawk-eyed/Arcane Tome)

Krondys Son of Dracothion

Warden King

Runelord

3x10 Ironbreakers

KO Ironclad (not sure which main gun is best)

Quicksilver Swords endless spell (or other, maybe Purple Sun or Lifeswarm?)

The big 3 would be a super tough combo I think and dominate a good chunk of table space, with the ground troops holding steadfastly with the Oath Stone and prayers.  Thoughts?  Should I not even be thinking about this?

You would do better to drop the frostheart for something else.  On its own, it really doesn't provide a lot of damage, and your list is otherwise lacking in damage.  You would do better to just run a Celestial Hurricanum instead, as that will at least buff up the Ironclad and Krondys offensively.  All that being said, I think the better option would be to drop the frostheart, warden king, and one of the ironbreakers for the more traditional 20-30 Irondrakes, which is going to give you a significantly better hammer than the frostheart, and due to Krondys and the runelord, they can effectively hit at rend -3.

A more realistic approach would be to say that you should probably look to run either the ironclad or krondys, but running both is investing too much in big centerpieces that can't really carry their own weight consistently.  As the proud owner to 2 stardrakes (and eying up a 3rd), I will happily say that sometimes it is fun to do that, but you should never fool yourself into thinking it is a good idea, only a fun one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

You think the phoenixes are bad?  I always thought they were very pretty even if a bit static.  But they are like 10 years old at least aren't they?  I remember seeing them when I moved to Florida in 2012 and thinking they'd make some cool Tzeentch Doomwings or a Firelord for 40k....but didn't ever make one.

Yes they are dismal and lackluster.  They came out with HE in 8th ed.  So I'm guessing 8+ years ago.   They are very static, the heads aren't anything to write home about.  especially when you consider the AoS Range in general is considered better than 40k and has some amazing models in the range.

Turns out the wings on the LotR plastic great eagles are a good width but not the body (not much larger than the metal ones) so I'm going to attach them to a Citadel tree, for a 120 x 90 mm base.  Probably put the hero on the base since it's finecast and I don't want it to break when you look at it the wrong way (thanks finecast).

18 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Yes they are dismal and lackluster.  They came out with HE in 8th ed.  So I'm guessing 8+ years ago.   They are very static, the heads aren't anything to write home about.  especially when you consider the AoS Range in general is considered better than 40k and has some amazing models in the range.

lol absolutely not, the AoS range isn't considered better than 40k's by anyone who isn't a part of our narrow community. Half the AoS range is liked because it's old and recognizably Warhammer, either from Total War/Vermintide fans or people who remember the time before Sigmar, and the other half is a colossal mixed bag. Wet elves, naked dwarfs, tree-people and fantasy space marines have their fans but in absolutely no reality are these widely considered superior to 40k's offerings. You're lucky if you don't routinely bump into people who hate half the armies on aesthetics alone!

And the phoenix is a great model. The fact that it is static isn't inherently bad, it does the job and looks infinitely superior in multiples to a modern day monopose monster- I think literally the only kit in the AoS range that does what the phoenix is trying to do better is the stormcast dragon, but that's cheating since it's a monster kit that builds two discreetly posed guys with options.

I certainly don't think it's fair to ****** on the phoenix for its age and then immediately go for the significantly older and plainer LOTR Eagles! Those things are at least 10 years old (maybe older!) and it definitely shows on the assembly. Especially in a CoS thread, this entire faction exists for those of us who like our old WHFB range.

Edited by NauticalSoup

I like the phoenix model as it really looks like a real soaring bird with all the spread pinion feathers.  And the feet are really nice, and dare I say, cute.  The flamey wings and tail and head could be used to make a Lord of Change probably?!?  Or more cockatrices.

The elf on the back is not my cup o tea, but a dwarf will fit just fine and be more aerodynamic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

lol absolutely not, the AoS range isn't considered better than 40k's by anyone who isn't a part of our narrow community. Half the AoS range is liked because it's old and recognizably Warhammer, either from Total War/Vermintide fans or people who remember the time before Sigmar, and the other half is a colossal mixed bag. Wet elves, naked dwarfs, tree-people and fantasy space marines have their fans but in absolutely no reality are these widely considered superior to 40k's offerings. You're lucky if you don't routinely bump into people who hate half the armies on aesthetics alone!

And the phoenix is a great model. The fact that it is static isn't inherently bad, it does the job and looks infinitely superior in multiples to a modern day monopose monster- I think literally the only kit in the AoS range that does what the phoenix is trying to do better is the stormcast dragon, but that's cheating since it's a monster kit that builds two discreetly posed guys with options.

I certainly don't think it's fair to ****** on the phoenix for its age and then immediately go for the significantly older and plainer LOTR Eagles! Those things are at least 10 years old (maybe older!) and it definitely shows on the assembly. Especially in a CoS thread, this entire faction exists for those of us who like our old WHFB range.

uh no.  you seem to be coming from a negative history with this.  But feel free to keep being only negative.  

On 11/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, Popisdead said:

uh no.  you seem to be coming from a negative history with this.  But feel free to keep being only negative.  

On the contrary, you posted purely to dump on a sculpt - I posted purely to dump on a guy who was dumping on a sculpt. I'm just matching your negativity with my own while correcting some of your wackier claims (and my post wasn't strictly negative, I think the phoenix is a very pretty sculpt and said as much).

On 11/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, NauticalSoup said:

On the contrary, you posted purely to dump on a sculpt - I posted purely to dump on a guy who was dumping on a sculpt. I'm just matching your negativity with my own while correcting some of your wackier claims (and my post wasn't strictly negative, I think the phoenix is a very pretty sculpt and said as much).

Nope.  but have a nice day.