Shadespire warbands no longer available online.

Jackman

I hope this also means they will have the option for all universal cards being available as a standalone product, since they want the entry barrier being lower. I am quite tired of buying almost every warband I will never play just for the cards. And now 1 year of purchases is kind of invalidated card-wise.

1 minute ago, PiotrW said:

Wait, what??? The old bands won't be available..?

I really wanted that Skaven warband :(

Right now the models still are, but they removed the warband with cards from sale from the first generation. We still don't know what Gw's long term plan is and many are hoping that they re-release the 1st gen warbands with the character cards in them or release a character card pack or something to let them function. 

3 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Aaaaargh! This is really frustrating!

*goes hunting for a third-party shop that still has the Skaven warband in stock*

See this is why I hope GW is just repackaging them. The warbands are tied to armies; Skaven players will want skaven warbands and just because the cards have moved on; doesn't mean that all skaven players got the warbands when they wanted them. And I can't see GW managing to release a new warband for every faction every 2 rotations of cards within the game. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

See this is why I hope GW is just repackaging them. The warbands are tied to armies; Skaven players will want skaven warbands and just because the cards have moved on; doesn't mean that all skaven players got the warbands when they wanted them. And I can't see GW managing to release a new warband for every faction every 2 rotations of cards within the game. 

Do you think it's wise to buy any of these warbands now? Or, maybe, GW will declare them non-legal for games... or re-release them with some completely new cards that will render the old bands invalid..?

1 minute ago, PiotrW said:

Do you think it's wise to buy any of these warbands now? Or, maybe, GW will declare them non-legal for games... or re-release them with some completely new cards that will render the old bands invalid..?

GW said that they are legal for Beastgrove - however what their release plans are going forward are totally unknown. 

Came here to see what y'all though, I am mostly hoping they don't go the WOTC route like Magic and rotate things so fast you have to spend a stupid amount of money to keep up. With them adding new mechanics past Shadespire though, it does make sense to stop printing Shadespire universal cards and rotating them out.

I don't want to think the sky is falling but game companies and  money grubbing is par for the course :/

48 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Came here to see what y'all though, I am mostly hoping they don't go the WOTC route like Magic and rotate things so fast you have to spend a stupid amount of money to keep up. With them adding new mechanics past Shadespire though, it does make sense to stop printing Shadespire universal cards and rotating them out.

I don't want to think the sky is falling but game companies and  money grubbing is par for the course :/

The spending is just for modern though, and many of the generic cards are reprinted enough that they will always stay valid, I play Commander, and check yearly whether cards have come out that complement my warband, but the old cards rarely, if ever leave that format.

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

2 years is a pretty long amount of time. I'm already tired of Shadespire cards and want something fresh. 

Obviously they want to make money. Nobody sane thinks any company is going to altruistically make their game sell at a loss or support something that doesn't make money. So yeah, the rotation gets them paid. But, it also is healthy for the meta, so it's a win/win in my book.

Like some others, my guess is they're going to be repacked with the new 'full' decks of updated neutrals. If they were being culled I expect they'd have yanked the model-only packs along with them.

My guess is we'll see them the same time as the Cursebreakers and Thorns get a standalone release.

The updated Underworlds site, awash with Beastgrave, still lists them as playable Warbands... at the top of it, incidentally.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

They always said they would still be playable. The intent is that models never rotate.

I doubt they get printed with new Universals, as the card count for Beastgrave is about the same as the previous sets. I imagine they get a separate release with just their Faction cards, or their Faction cards become  available separately, as you can already buy the models by themselves.