The Rumour Thread

The presence of god characters is a major reason why the AoS lore doesn't appeal to me. From what I've read, it just feels like the only real characters in the setting are Sigmar, Nagash, etc, and everyone else is just their puppet.

For instance, all the Stormcast characters seem to just be vessels of Sigmar's will, who do little more than follow his orders. And all the Ossiarch and Nighthaunt characters are little more than Nagash's puppets, who exist just to enact his plans. Meanwhile, the Soulblight vampires are all terrified of Nagash, so they too just mostly do what he says (but unwillingly). The absolute power of Nagash over all death deprives all the other death characters of their own opportunities to be actual characters.

I think GW added god characters to the setting because at the time the Marvel Cinematic Universe was extremely popular, and they figured they could make the Mortal Realms appealing by adding superheroes and supervillains. But these kinds of uber-characters require a certain setting to work. When you shoehorn them into a high fantasy setting like AoS, all they do is steal the thunder from all the other characters and make the universe seem small.

I'd love to see the gods taken down a peg, have Nagash lose some of his power over death, and have other death characters rebel against him. There could be a death civil war between pro-Nagash and anti-Nagash factions. That would create some much-needed conflict and depth to the setting, and allow non-god characters to develop their own goals, motivations, and agency, making the setting seem alive.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Lord KroakDawnbringers campagin seems to be fixing this. But I partialy agree with you. It doesn't help that some of this Gods can be played on the table, and can be killed with a few units/combo. But the other side of the coin is that other Gods seems to be overpowered, and I mean, so strong that can even shape mountains or kill uber-gargants. When there is a big gap between rules and lore, players have a hard time to swallow the whole story.

And I know that it's impossible to represent god-like beings on the table, but maybe that's exactly our problem with the setting. Make all this titans be playable at 3000-5000 points, or maybe downgrade them to Primarch-like characters. I don't care what they do, but the story needs to be believable and rules will help in achieving that.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

I would love to see a Death army based around galvanism and Frankenstein-esque (yes, the doctor, I know) monstrosities that are reanimated by science rather than magic. Some kind of loophole around Nagash's grasp.

We had that one Underworlds Warband so it's definitely possible! I'm an old time Warmachine player and having an undead army with mechanical doo-dads scratches an itch that AoS doesn't currently do. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DinoJon said:

We had that one Underworlds Warband so it's definitely possible! I'm an old time Warmachine player and having an undead army with mechanical doo-dads scratches an itch that AoS doesn't currently do. 

I won't lie, Cryx was one of two factions that nearly tempted me into Warmachine/Hordes (the other being the Blindwater Congregation (cause voodoo gator men rule)), so a faction of Frankenstein's Monsters sounds really tempting. Unfortunately, odds are that we won't get that for AOS, but maybe in 40k as a part of the Dark Mechanicus.

57 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

The presence of god characters is a major reason why the AoS lore doesn't appeal to me. From what I've read, it just feels like the only real characters in the setting are Sigmar, Nagash, etc, and everyone else is just their puppet.

For instance, all the Stormcast characters seem to just be vessels of Sigmar's will, who do little more than follow his orders. And all the Ossiarch and Nighthaunt characters are little more than Nagash's puppets, who exist just to enact his plans. Meanwhile, the Soulblight vampires are all terrified of Nagash, so they too just mostly do what he says (but unwillingly). The absolute power of Nagash over all death deprives all the other death characters of their own opportunities to be actual characters.

I think GW added god characters to the setting because at the time the Marvel Cinematic Universe was extremely popular, and they figured they could make the Mortal Realms appealing by adding superheroes and supervillains. But these kinds of uber-characters require a certain setting to work. When you shoehorn them into a high fantasy setting like AoS, all they do is steal the thunder from all the other characters and make the universe seem small.

I'd love to see the gods taken down a peg, have Nagash lose some of his power over death, and have other death characters rebel against him. There could be a death civil war between pro-Nagash and anti-Nagash factions. That would create some much-needed conflict and depth to the setting, and allow non-god characters to develop their own goals, motivations, and agency, making the setting seem alive.

For me, AoS has to be approached as a "Dark Souls" universe rather than a "The Lord of the Rings". There are a lot of myths, godbeasts, gods, and factions are like the bosses and the enemies of their areas.

I don't care to explain that 😝

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Magnusaur said:

I would love to see a Death army based around galvanism and Frankenstein-esque (yes, the doctor, I know) monstrosities that are reanimated by science rather than magic. Some kind of loophole around Nagash's grasp.

we had that one WHU warband based on that idea sorta, I think the scientist was a soulblight vampire though. Would be cool to see more of for sure

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I agree for the most part. Chaos gods and Gorkamorka dont have a specific form that has ever been illustrated to my knowledge. They are some higher power that i dont think will ever get a model. If they dont make models for those gods they can continue to release a bunch of avatars and champion models for those gods. Not sure about Sigmar though. Does he go with the likes of Teclis, Kroak, Allarielle, Nagash etcetera or with the other gods.

Khorne and Tzeentch have had “recent” art but all 4 have Older Art from way back when. I’m very much in the mindset of More is more and would relish a Sigmar model. Unpopular opinion but I would want him in Resin (the real resin) with all the detail and attributes they give the Primarchs - just look at Horus Ascended and Fulgrim, now Imagine what Sigmar could be. If they can portray the Primarchs and the Emperor, they can Portray Sigmar. Horus Heresy got Horus, and Lord of the Rings got Sauron, Age of Sigmar is missing out 😂

IMG_3141.png

IMG_3144.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Khorne and Tzeentch have had “recent” art but all 4 have Older Art from way back when. I’m very much in the mindset of More is more and would relish a Sigmar model. Unpopular opinion but I would want him in Resin (the real resin) with all the detail and attributes they give the Primarchs - just look at Horus Ascended and Fulgrim, now Imagine what Sigmar could be. If they can portray the Primarchs and the Emperor, they can Portray Sigmar. Horus Heresy got Horus, and Lord of the Rings got Sauron, Age of Sigmar is missing out 😂

IMG_3141.png

IMG_3144.jpeg

If it is going to be 250 € like Fulgrim, better to do not release him!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2