The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Yep. A game mechanic there simply isn't a counterplay for. Really not sure about that.

Consider.

6 temptation dice per turn. Same unit cannot be affected more than once per phase, so you can't just stack on 6d3 mortal wounds onto a single unit. 

You give the opponent an auto-6, though it doesn't proc abilities that hit on unmodified 6's, so that's a thing... but let's say your opponent is swinging in with a big beefy Monster of some kind. You're unlikely to want to give that monster a free hit or wound on an attack that could do 3 or 6 or more damage to your units. You're also unlikely to give something that you really want to kill a free save.

The counterplay is you're boosting your opponent. You give those temptation dice to a chaff unit and the opponent will simply take the mortal wounds and deny you depravity points. You give those temptation dice to beefy units and suddenly your opponent is doing more damage than average to your forces.

I think there's going to be a particular kind of unit that you're going to give these things to, elite enough that mortal wounds really hurt but not so powerful that a single swing would make the difference between survival and defeat of the unit they're hitting against. 

If you do too much damage, say, to a unit and they fail a save, the opponent will just take the temptation dice to deny you depravity points because their unit is likely already dead anyway, so a mortal wound or two wont make a big difference. 

It's really clever, and I think it'll take playing on the table to really figure out how powerful it is. Good players are going to be very good at it, but because depravity points take a LOT of them to power up, and because the same points are used in summoning, requiring you to give up power-ups to summon new things onto the table, it's not the end of the world to let your opponent have some deprav points. 

And who knows? Maybe the entire army has gotten a boost in points levels to make up for it all. 

• Like 13

I think it would also be interesting if depravity capped at 45 ish and summons start at 10 means anything summoned is garunteed to drop a buff or two if bigger. Having no cap means you can get your buffs and carry on only summoning with excess (get it)

Edited by MothmanDraws

24 minutes ago, RileyArlic said:

Consider.

[...]

And who knows? Maybe the entire army has gotten a boost in points levels to make up for it all. 

The issue that immediately jumped at me is that iof the Slaanesh player goes first and things line up for them, you might be -1 to hit against their whole army for the rest of the game even before your first turn.

And THEN they get to pile in other benefits on top of that.

23 minutes ago, RileyArlic said:

Consider.

6 temptation dice per turn. Same unit cannot be affected more than once per phase, so you can't just stack on 6d3 mortal wounds onto a single unit. 

You give the opponent an auto-6, though it doesn't proc abilities that hit on unmodified 6's, so that's a thing... but let's say your opponent is swinging in with a big beefy Monster of some kind. You're unlikely to want to give that monster a free hit or wound on an attack that could do 3 or 6 or more damage to your units. You're also unlikely to give something that you really want to kill a free save.

The counterplay is you're boosting your opponent. You give those temptation dice to a chaff unit and the opponent will simply take the mortal wounds and deny you depravity points. You give those temptation dice to beefy units and suddenly your opponent is doing more damage than average to your forces.

I think there's going to be a particular kind of unit that you're going to give these things to, elite enough that mortal wounds really hurt but not so powerful that a single swing would make the difference between survival and defeat of the unit they're hitting against. 

If you do too much damage, say, to a unit and they fail a save, the opponent will just take the temptation dice to deny you depravity points because their unit is likely already dead anyway, so a mortal wound or two wont make a big difference. 

It's really clever, and I think it'll take playing on the table to really figure out how powerful it is. Good players are going to be very good at it, but because depravity points take a LOT of them to power up, and because the same points are used in summoning, requiring you to give up power-ups to summon new things onto the table, it's not the end of the world to let your opponent have some deprav points. 

This!! 

There is defo a balencing act as to when and where to offer the temptation. I'm really looking forward to seeing this rule in action. 

This is such a good time to be in the GW hobby - 

New 40k edition coming which means cool new models. 

Horus Heresy is starting to explore non marine armies 

Kill team is exploring different kinds of units and producing some amazing models

Underworlds making some beautiful models and seems to have hit its stride rules wise 

Warcry has given some of my fave models of the past year 

Chaos dwarves return, abet digitally but its a start. 

AoS is going from strength to strength. Armies are fun and characterful. We've got 2 range refreshes coming with a potential 3rd in flesh eaters. Also imo, AoS has the best models that GW produce. 

And my fave piece of news from the past two days, confirmation of new plastic kits for the Old World. While neither Brets or tomb Kings are my fave I'm excited to see them and even more so at the prospect that the Old World may land this year. 

And I've not even mentioned the awesome work they are doing with necromunda, bloodbowl and middleearth at forgeworld. 

Exciting times! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

The issue that immediately jumped at me is that iof the Slaanesh player goes first and things line up for them, you might be -1 to hit against their whole army for the rest of the game even before your first turn.

And THEN they get to pile in other benefits on top of that.

Possible though you would need to weigh stuff up, don't take their offers on first turn if you want to shoot them and them to have the -1, they also have to wound you and you fail before they can procc the temptation so some tankier units should be safe for a little. On average you would have to take 3 offers in first battle round to give them. In fact I think armies that do better into temptations this are bulkier melee armies (wont be shooting or attempting to hit until already in combat so will only be tempted if shot and fail save, or have mortal wound mitigation) or horde armies (who can just take the mortals killing 3 goblins and starving you of depravity outside of using the euphoric killers), what it is strong against is semi elite ranged unit as they will be easiest to procc (units that want to shoot+fight+have middling saves).

We also dont know the depravity ramp up outside of euphoric + temptations, its possible only euphoric + temptations are giving you solid depravity rest could be once per turn general abilities or spells. We also dont know how a lot of army is designed, its possible the unit profiles are so glass that they are designed to operate with a -1 to hit in place of armour and wards

33 minutes ago, RileyArlic said:

I believe because it counts as a 'modified 6' not an 'unmodified 6'. 

Does it say that though?  Don’t destiny dice have specific verbiage to make them count as unmodified?  I guess we’ll have to see if they include similar wording here

33 minutes ago, MothmanDraws said:

We also dont know the depravity ramp up outside of euphoric + temptations, its possible only euphoric + temptations are giving you solid depravity rest could be once per turn general abilities or spells. We also dont know how a lot of army is designed, its possible the unit profiles are so glass that they are designed to operate with a -1 to hit in place of armour and wards

Nevertheless, there is a chance that there still are other ways of generating the DP. But hey, we'll find out on Saturday.

Over the last few pages i have seen people mention that the next Warcry box could be Slaanesh vs CoS. Any reason to believe this is true? I really hope GW is following the same pattern and Destruction is up next. I am also not convinced that Slaanesh will be the Chaos army included. BoC could be a solid guess imho. Also Nightmare Quest could mean almost anything.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Over the last few pages i have seen people mention that the next Warcry box could be Slaanesh vs CoS. 

There is a rumor Slaanesh vs. COS for Warcry ? I missed the posts about it...

Like you, I don't see why GW would deviate from the scheme applied to this season. We will most definitely have a destro warband. Reminds me that Whitefang had implied something for orruks... A connection to be made perhaps ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Over the last few pages i have seen people mention that the next Warcry box could be Slaanesh vs CoS. Any reason to believe this is true? I really hope GW is following the same pattern and Destruction is up next. I am also not convinced that Slaanesh will be the Chaos army included. BoC could be a solid guess imho. Also Nightmare Quest could mean almost anything.

Just now, Draznak said:

Like you, I don't see why GW would deviate from the scheme applied to this season. We will most definitely have a destro warband. Reminds me that Whitefang had implied something for orruks... A connection to be made perhaps ?

I've mainly heard of (and think such a release to be likely) of a Tzeentch vs CoS Underworlds Starter, based mainly on recent-ish illustrations of Freeguild troops for Underworlds (the big Gnarlwood one, and now one from the DoK Warband), and of course the teased Tzeentch mini from Twitter.

Spoiler

IMG_8463.png.jpg.8d935fd46745b54348ffaf872a96ea83.jpg

Spoiler

Warhammer Underworlds: Gnarlwood Is the Deadliest Ever Season of the Game -  Warhammer Community

Spoiler

Warhammer Official on Twitter: "To celebrate 99,999 followers on Twitter,  we're showing off this awesome new miniature, just as Tzeentch planned! ✨  Thank you for following us, now what do you think

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Draznak said:

I think it was wishlisting but still would like to check why. 

I would like to see a Bonesplitterz or Spiderfang warband. Ogors would be great too.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Over the last few pages i have seen people mention that the next Warcry box could be Slaanesh vs CoS.

6 minutes ago, Asbestress said:

I've mainly heard of (and think such a release to be likely) of a Tzeentch vs CoS Underworlds Starter,

You are not talking about the same thing. 😉

Edited by Draznak

tbh with name like nightmare quest I would imagine gloomspite as the destruction faction, though if its kruelboys they could be the nightmare and the quest is the hedonites hunting for slaanesh still, or they could push further into the unmade aesthetic for nightmare/body horror slaanesh as the warcry warbands have always been going for slightly different visual takes for chaos worship

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

The quest part refers to the Slaanesh worshippers and their quest to find their deity.

The nightmare part refers to some Gitz who ate the wrong shrooms and are experiencing a narcotic induced waking nightmare.

As much as i love Gitz i would like to see something else in Destruction get some attention besides Moonclan and Kruleboyz this time.

• Like 1

Nightmare could also be Bonesplitterz since they’re spiritualists and big on following visions or interpreting small things as larger meanings such as in Soulbound a Bonesplitterz character may join a group of humans, aelves and duardin if he can hear their heartbeats to which he says it’s a sign Gorkamorka wanted the party to become apart of his tribe.

edit:(though I wouldn’t argue to questing Loonknights for armored Grot infantry and three defensive squig-a-pults with ammo choices)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

27 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Nightmare could also be Bonesplitterz since they’re spiritualists and big on following visions or interpreting small things as larger meanings such as in Soulbound a Bonesplitterz character may join a group of humans, aelves and duardin if he can hear their heartbeats to which he says it’s a sign Gorkamorka wanted the party to become apart of his tribe.

edit:(though I wouldn’t argue to questing Loonknights for armored Grot infantry and three defensive squig-a-pults with ammo choices)

Oh yeah a Nightmare Quest could be like their "Vision Quest". I would love go see more shaman-esque models in Bonesplitterz. Give me orruks with wooden masks, snakes and character. 

• Like 3