The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yeah. In a way Warcry is kind of the anti Mordheim. It's easy to learn, it plays fast and has great replayability due to the way missions are generated. There is a narrative side to the game but it's not massively in-depth. 

Mordheim on the other hand is difficult to learn with a lot of rules to remember. It can be pretty clunky to play, but the narrative side is very in-depth and can be incredibly engaging with the right group of people.  

I wouldnt call narrative part of warcry that much "surface level" theres plenty of fun to be had, but theres not that much customization for your normal fighters that arent characters there, thats for sure

I find the talk over the the double turn very interesting with pros and cons with both arguments. I am not a fan, but I do know all my friends play super aggressive and we all bet it all on getting the double turn...................... Bright side being is that most of my AoS games are less then an hour lol.

The biggest issues I find with the system is:

1. Balance- We all know GW track record when it comes to balancing pretty much anything lol. Very interesting to see if the setback is enough to make people not take the double turn. GW have been throwing so many negative rules, but none of them seem to be enough.

2. Keeping new players away- You see a lot of complaint and people pointing to the double turn as the reason they stay away from the game. For new players it could just wipe them from the table (of course a lot of the blame would be on the teacher there).

Just wonder why GW is so set on that one rule when it feels like AoS really likes to throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

• Like 3

What do you guys think awaits us next week? Will we see a new Liberator miniature on Monday or GW will keep waffling on obvious info. My hopes are that we see at least one miniature and maybe new warscroll composition.  

7 minutes ago, Ookami said:

What do you guys think awaits us next week? Will we see a new Liberator miniature on Monday or GW will keep waffling on obvious info. My hopes are that we see at least one miniature and maybe new warscroll composition.  

I expect they'll maybe tease some short warhammer aos preview, and show the box and a couple minis from the first wave off then in a couple weeks

5 minutes ago, Ookami said:

It's April 1st on Monday. That will probably have an affect on this things. I could see them doing something Skaveny with April fools but they might decide to skip new miniature Monday especially as it's also Easter weekend. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chikout said:

It's April 1st on Monday. That will probably have an affect on this things. I could see them doing something Skaveny with April fools but they might decide to skip new miniature Monday especially as it's also Easter weekend. 

I'm expecting some sort of goofy joke post or something, like their "Warhammer Workout" thing last year.

It would be nice to see some miniatures soon. It is also curious to see what else is in the box. Previous trailers missed out a few models (Dominion for example, if we look at Stormcast, didn't show Vindictors, Knight Arcanum, Vexillor or Yndrasta) so I am very curious what other heroes models we will see.

Also if AoS 4 moves to attaching heroes to units similar to 10th for 40k then maybe that gives us an idea of what heroes it could be like if one goes with Prosecutor maybe it is a new Knight Azyros for example or are we up for some new leaders instead/ as well as updated?

15 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

It would be nice to see some miniatures soon. It is also curious to see what else is in the box. Previous trailers missed out a few models (Dominion for example, if we look at Stormcast, didn't show Vindictors, Knight Arcanum, Vexillor or Yndrasta) so I am very curious what other heroes models we will see.

Also if AoS 4 moves to attaching heroes to units similar to 10th for 40k then maybe that gives us an idea of what heroes it could be like if one goes with Prosecutor maybe it is a new Knight Azyros for example or are we up for some new leaders instead/ as well as updated?

Stormcast seeing annother 10 new heroes be liker/ageofsigmar - I don't want 20 Knights and 30 Lords...

• Haha 10

50 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I expect they'll maybe tease some short warhammer aos preview, and show the box and a couple minis from the first wave off then in a couple weeks

We already got the preview teased. May 16th:

Celebrate the New Edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar at The Mortal Realms Reforged - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Attendees must also have a ticket to the US Open event, though there will be a live stream starting at 7pm local time on the 16th.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

please no attached leaders like 40k, it's such a boring way to represent heroes. Especially if they don't allow them to hop between units mid game like current 40k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Yeah. In a way Warcry is kind of the anti Mordheim. It's easy to learn, it plays fast and has great replayability due to the way missions are generated. There is a narrative side to the game but it's not massively in-depth. 

Mordheim on the other hand is difficult to learn with a lot of rules to remember. It can be pretty clunky to play, but the narrative side is very in-depth and can be incredibly engaging with the right group of people.  

Mordheim isn't difficult to learn, but it has a lot of clunky mechanisms that come from the fact it was a mere adaptation of Warhammer Battle rules to a more skirmish level - even so Battle was made for mass battle games. That's why there are a lot of weirdness in its core rules, and for example why armors are completely useless in the game (critical hits tend to completely nullify them, and if it's not, it's the save modifiers from weapons / strength that are way too easy and common to have...saves were already way too low from the start, anyway). If you knew the edition of Battle from that time, it was actually very familiar and easy to move from one to another...and that was the intent, IMHO.

Warcry isn't at all the "anti Mordheim". If you read its background, it's actually quite grim. Surrounding is hostile, death is at every corner and there's a heavy hint on the futility of these bands' actions in the way most of them die in the dark with their dreams of glory and riches unfulfilled.

But the difference with Mordheim is that Warcry's campaign rules don't translate very well that, because they're meant to be balanced and less frustrating than Mordheim. Wounds are in most cases temporary, death of one of your miniatures in campaign mode is rarer and, in most time, quite without real consequences (you replace the lost guy much more easily, and the "progress" system is so light that it doesn't really matter if you lose an "experienced fighter".

On the other hand, Mordheim campaign rules are cruelly random, it's easy to completely mess your band because of a few bad rolls and the way you gain money to recruit / equip more guys punishes you really hard if you actually play the scenario to the end (ie fight to the last model). Basically, if you lose a Mordheim game, you tend to get punished in the campaign phase because if your heroes were out of action during the game, well guess what, they're also your only money makers - so they give you no money. It leads to stupid situations like routing voluntarily as soon as you lost the minimal numbers of fighters and keep your heroes away from action so that they can search optimally for wyrdstone in the exploration phase.

In Warcry, you care not for your models because they have no depth. In Mordheim, you better care not for your models because they die / get crippled to the point of being useless easily (even your warband, before you simply make a new one from scratch). I'm not sure Mordheim is really that narrative friendly on that matter, TBH (I mean, if you get unlucky with some wounds rolls / got your band heroes wiped out and you just restart your band because it's otherwise unplayable, it's not really narrative driven either).

And I said that as a Mordheim player, who started from the very first day it released to still nowadays, 25 years later. ;) I'm just very aware of Mordheim's flaws, what it is and what it is not. And I certainly don't paint a lovelier picture of it because of nostalgia's bias. I'm not demeaning Mordheim players at all...I'm just amused at how some people tend to believe Mordheim is way better than it actually is / was (mostly those people don't play anymore or certainly not the core rules without heavy "patches" / fanmade rules to make the rules better, which is not my case).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Livestream =/= reveal stream, they could be streaming the games. I expect at least a post with the whole box on that day but waiting another month and a half for anything is probably not how this will be handled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sarouan said:

And I said that as a Mordheim player, who started from the very first day it released to still nowadays, 25 years later. ;) I'm just very aware of Mordheim's flaws, what it is and what it is not. And I certainly don't paint a lovelier picture of it because of nostalgia's bias. I'm not demeaning Mordheim players at all...I'm just amused at how some people tend to believe Mordheim is way better than it actually is / was (mostly those people don't play anymore or certainly not the core rules without heavy "patches" / fanmade rules to make the rules better, which is not my case).

Personally, it is was the setting and vibe + all the flavour 'Town Crier' added. I'd love to see a Warcry plus, complete with lots of extra gear, exp gain, etc, etc. Give me some janky yet flavourful rules, GW!

13 minutes ago, pitzok said:

Livestream =/= reveal stream, they could be streaming the games. I expect at least a post with the whole box on that day but waiting another month and a half for anything is probably not how this will be handled.

True, but the name of the "event" makes me think it would be the case.

11 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Personally, it is was the setting and vibe + all the flavour 'Town Crier' added. I'd love to see a Warcry plus, complete with lots of extra gear, exp gain, etc, etc. Give me some janky yet flavourful rules, GW!

Ah but the thing is, once you introduce xp gains / extra gear etc, the Holy Balance is upset between bands. That's why a game in Mordheim between an experienced band and a beginner one tend to be...let's say quick - and the beginner band better rout voluntarily as soon as possible, to get that juicy bonus xp while still have enough heroes to gain money properly. When a game has mechanisms that incite you -not- to play the actual scenario for better long term results (which would be normally the point of a game, after all...moving your models on the board, instead of having them on the sidelines while you just roll dice on exploration tables), that's the hint there's a problem. You can say Warcry campaign rules are less exciting than Mordheim's, sure, but you can never say Warcry doesn't incite you to really get engaged in the actual games preceding the aftermath phase. In Warcry, you rarely try to rout voluntarily, because you know playing the scenario to the best you can won't punish you as hard as in Mordheim.

Unfortunately, I believe such a game is simply not to the current standards in GW industry. Which is why I don't believe we'll see a "true Mordheim remake"...if such a thing was actually necessary. I mean, the rules are already out on the internet, in more than a complete way to say the least. Why doing a remake if you already believe it's perfection ? ;)

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Tbf they can keep the Lord Celestant, it's a 1st edition fatcast yes but it's also a great mini imo, the best from the 1st wave of SCE alongside the Stardrake and Palladors.

Well we got the resign Lord Celestant and the same exact as the previous just missing the arch & hammer cape  Stormcastsigrun.jpg.6003e2d9e0b348636c41788bc47b7221.jpg

20 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Ah but the thing is, once you introduce xp gains / extra gear etc, the Holy Balance is upset between bands. That's why a game in Mordheim between an experienced band and a beginner one tend to be...let's say quick - and the beginner band better rout voluntarily as soon as possible, to get that juicy bonus xp while still have enough heroes to gain money properly. When a game has mechanisms that incite you -not- to play the actual scenario for better long term results (which would be normally the point of a game, after all...moving your models on the board, instead of having them on the sidelines while you just roll dice on exploration tables), that's the hint there's a problem. You can say Warcry campaign rules are less exciting than Mordheim's, sure, but you can never say Warcry doesn't incite you to really get engaged in the actual games preceding the aftermath phase. In Warcry, you rarely try to rout voluntarily, because you know playing the scenario to the best you can won't punish you as hard as in Mordheim.

Unfortunately, I believe such a game is simply not to the current standards in GW industry. Which is why I don't believe we'll see a "true Mordheim remake"...if such a thing was actually necessary. I mean, the rules are already out on the internet, in more than a complete way to say the least. Why doing a remake if you already believe it's perfection ? ;)

I am definitely not in the Mordheim is perfection and I do not seek a one-for-one copy. I quite like the underdog scenarios and decisions made mindful the long campaign. I think that more than anything is what I am looking for. Necromunda might be something. Haven't looked into it much yet though.

32 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

I am definitely not in the Mordheim is perfection and I do not seek a one-for-one copy. I quite like the underdog scenarios and decisions made mindful the long campaign. I think that more than anything is what I am looking for. Necromunda might be something. Haven't looked into it much yet though.

Old Necromunda was the inspiration to Mordheim campaign rules (main difference is that there weren't any henchmen, everyone was treated the hero way in progression - and the way to gain money was significantly different, more territory based : it was actually much more narrative driven than Mordheim, since it was more linked to something more substantial than "exploration somewhere in the town for Wyrdstone"). So if you like SF setting and punk gangs, it's definitely something to try.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peacaf said:

It exceeds 200 people on Twitter and is clearly in favor of the double turn.

Haha, indeed. I give you an internet cookie. 😉

Brilliant move from GW 😉 

Edited by Tonhel