What are ForgeWorld armies?

What exactly are ForgeWorld Armies? What is their place in the game? Are they meant to be stand alone armies or taken as allies? 

Will they ever get full in Battletome with lore and pictures and stuff? Are they stuck with those GHB level write ups? 

Whats the plan or direction for ForgeWorld and their whole armies? Think Horde of Tamurkhan or Legions of Azgorh. 

58 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

What exactly are ForgeWorld Armies? What is their place in the game? Are they meant to be stand alone armies or taken as allies? 

Armies  that are sold by Forgeworld, a branch of GW that sell resin models, all model that are sold by them (and some discontinued models like the war-mammoth) have match play point and rules. the only two army that can be play stand alone are Legion of Azgorh and Tamakahan's horde. THey however have a lot of stand alone models. some of these models have the keywords to be played in certain armies (like the Troggoth hag in a Gitz army). However many of the destruction monster and the Fimirs are only playable in mixed destruction.

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

Will they ever get full in Battletome with lore and pictures and stuff? Are they stuck with those GHB level write ups? 

Whats the plan or direction for ForgeWorld and their whole armies? Think Horde of Tamurkhan or Legions of Azgorh. 

FW kind of release a mini compendiums for both Tamurkhan and Legions of Azgorh, they are more extensive then GHB write up but not up to par compare to regular battletomes. but they are in a good playable state

as for direction it kind of unknown, Forgeworld hasn't done much for AoS except for the Khorne dragon and tend to focus more on Horus Heresy since that their main project.

I think the download/free rules nature of AoS means they're less likely to get a book. Outside of AoS, the Horus Heresy stuff obviously gets books because it's a whole game and then the 40k FW stuff has the "Imperial Armor" books, but I think they're much closer to the 40k indexes than codexes, and they exist more because 40k stuff doesn't generally exist as free downloads. The ideal situation would be if the other games got the same treatment as the Middle Earth stuff, where all the FW stuff is in the same core books as the GW stuff, but I think it gets the special treatment because a larger percentage of its miniature is FW(not sure if the FW stuff was in pre-Hobbit book, the Hobbit being when a lot it went FW).

So they’ll never have 100% in depth complete rules write ups like a fully fledged Battletome? 

Its not going to stop me. I want to play Legions of Azgorh, I just wasn’t sure what to expect or if they were really part of the game or just some tertiary supplement that’s never going to be 100% supported to the same degree. 

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

The ideal situation would be if the other games got the same treatment as the Middle Earth stuff, where all the FW stuff is in the same core books as the GW stuff, but I think it gets the special treatment because a larger percentage of its miniature is FW(not sure if the FW stuff was in pre-Hobbit book, the Hobbit being when a lot it went FW).

I believe the reason for that is because FW is in charge of future releases for the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game, and it is now one of FW's main focuses along with Horus Heresy. Would be great to see GW and FW coordinate a bit more for all of their games though, it's a really strange dynamic between the two companies. 

Praise Hashut, welcome to the Legion! As others have stated the LoA sits in a middle range between a GHB army and a recent battle time army. They're a lot of fun and were my first army. We're in a decent place currently, but of course wouldn't mind having additional support in the form of new models and options. A battle tome would be awesome, but isn't really expected. I am hoping that we get some terrain and endless spells though, that would be a very nice addition to the range. Be sure to subscribe to the LoA forum under the Chaos tab, we'll all gladly give you tips and advise on painting, list building and other general questions you might have.

8 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

LoA is a full army, but not one that is competitively viable in my opinion.  They could be fun if your group is not bringing the pain and hard lists.

I’m buying them for pure theme and flair and playstyle which is how I buy all my armies. 

I run Khorne because they’re good at melee and look cool and don’t have any bad models in the whole range and also the same for Ironjawz copy/paste the above reasons PLUS the cool Warcraft Orc factor. 

My Chaos Dwarves are Dark Iron Dwarves through and through :) 

59 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I’m buying them for pure theme and flair and playstyle which is how I buy all my armies. 

I run Khorne because they’re good at melee and look cool and don’t have any bad models in the whole range and also the same for Ironjawz copy/paste the above reasons PLUS the cool Warcraft Orc factor. 

My Chaos Dwarves are Dark Iron Dwarves through and through :) 

You can take what Deadscribe said with a grain of salt. LoA are competitive, just not elite.

21 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

You can take what Deadscribe said with a grain of salt. LoA are competitive, just not elite.

I eventually plan on getting every model in the range available, to try out a variety of lists and just to have some cool looking guys on my shelves. :) 

21 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Then that depends on what you consider "competitive".  If its handicapped vs other builds in any way I don't consider that competitive, but thats my threshold for what the word means.

they have done pretty solid in tournaments whenever they showed up. Though from the Honest wargamer show, they did notice that every time LoA did solid in a tournament one person tanks the stats by going 2-3 in two tournament within weeks of each other which lead them to jokingly make a conspiracy theory that the guy it doing it on purpose to save LoA from being nerf.

I think Fimir are in a weird state of limbo since they have radically changed from original chaos worshipers to "just cyclops people for destruction" so Im not sure if FW really wants to work with that right now.

Also it could be the production line of AoS FW is veeeery slow. The Khorne Dragon was first shown like in 2016 or something right? Whether you like it or not the average Horus Heresy model probably outsells the average AoS model by a decent margin (even popular models like Troggoth Hags)

I've never really understood the relationship between Forgeworld within GW.   Are they a company that got bought by GW and have a contract where they can write their own rules and release at their own discretion?  Or is GW pulling strings there on deadlines and direction at all?   I wish it were much more the latter.

I also run Legion of Azgorh, though I have all the old Chaos big-hat Dwarves instead.  They have great fluff and a wide variety of units and would make an outstanding battletome!  Just needs lots of cool artwork, or cut n paste from the old Fantasy Chaos Dwarves book :D 

Maybe, maybe?!?!? someday after the way too long Horus Heresy comes to an end and nobody wants to bother updating it to 8th edition 40k rules, Forgeworld will realize they could actually sell a bunch of Age of Sigmar stuff if they made it.....and it wasn't points overcosted (looking at you Skaarac).  Frankly they just have to sculpt it and make a mold or two, as resin casting these fine models should be a made to order business, it's ideal for it.  No need to sit on inventory!  Don't get why this is hard.  They could show a sculpt, get pre-orders based renderings like Kickstarters  and wham, labor and molds paid for and then some.

Just my few cents.

Archived