Painting Finecast

GutZilla

Hey guys.

I recently painted up 4 finecast models, and I thought I had washed them thoroughly, but it doesn't look like it was good enough.

I primed the models with vallejo polyurethane brown green primer ( I use a brush to paint it on), let it set for 24 hours, and then started painting. After the basecoat and the first wash, I noticed that I was able to, on certain parts, scrape away the paint and primer right down to the finecast.

I didn't really know what to do, so I just finished painting the models. The paint isn't just falling off the models, but if I take my nail and scrape I can tear pieces off. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I won't do it intentionally, but I can imagine that the wear and tear of gaming and transport will eventually lead to chips. 

Thanks,

Hmm I recently had a few minis primed via airbrush / vallejo black primer  instead of GW spray cans -> was also able to scrap the primer of with my fingernails.

From what I was able to google that seems to be normal? I think I will use a matt varnish on them for added "protection"

The Vallejo PU primers are  IMO pure trash, sorry to drop the bomb. Either go for Stynylrez (that is pretty durable, not as durable as spray-painted primer as it doesn't etch itself into the mini but pretty damn strong - very hard/impossible to scrape it with a nail... ) or one of the finer spraycans. But if you plan to play with them, I'd always give the mini a quick coat with a spraycan - at least the main surfaces and edges should be sprayed, other detail doesn't need to be too durable and could just be covered with some airbrush primer. Then you get an amazingly smooth paintjob that is really durable. 

9 hours ago, MitGas said:

The Vallejo PU primers are  IMO pure trash, sorry to drop the bomb. Either go for Stynylrez (that is pretty durable, not as durable as spray-painted primer as it doesn't etch itself into the mini but pretty damn strong - very hard/impossible to scrape it with a nail... ) or one of the finer spraycans. But if you plan to play with them, I'd always give the mini a quick coat with a spraycan - at least the main surfaces and edges should be sprayed, other detail doesn't need to be too durable and could just be covered with some airbrush primer. Then you get an amazingly smooth paintjob that is really durable. 

Thank you, I’ll look into that primer going forward. Do you know if it is possible to cover the models that I have painted with a clear coat of some sort to harden them up?

54 minutes ago, GutZilla said:

Thank you, I’ll look into that primer going forward. Do you know if it is possible to cover the models that I have painted with a clear coat of some sort to harden them up?

Clearcoat (and time! Usually the primer gets stronger after some time) helps but I fear that you'll have to be careful with them - at least that is my experience. (oh and I washed all my models before priming - resin, finecast, plastic...). I've got no idea why some claim that the Vallejo primers are any good, really. Everyone I personally know that has tried them had nothing but problems with them... :/

I lived in Minnesota for a decade, so potential aerosol days were very limited.

I recommend Gesso for brush on primer. And liquitex brush on varnishes for finish coat. They work great indoors and humidity doesn't seem to matter. The combo makes for some pretty tough paint jobs even on metal, resin, whatever finecast is etc.

33 minutes ago, chuckecheese said:

I lived in Minnesota for a decade, so potential aerosol days were very limited.

I recommend Gesso for brush on primer. And liquitex brush on varnishes for finish coat. They work great indoors and humidity doesn't seem to matter. The combo makes for some pretty tough paint jobs even on metal, resin, whatever finecast is etc.

Miniac tested this and wearther had almost no effect. I live in Finland and have sprayed minis in -30c. 

Anyways having only painted two finecast minis that were both old manglers I can say that a good spray primer will stay on. Finecast holds paint way better than metal and metal minis have been painted for ages

23 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Hmm I recently had a few minis primed via airbrush / vallejo black primer  instead of GW spray cans -> was also able to scrap the primer of with my fingernails.

From what I was able to google that seems to be normal? I think I will use a matt varnish on them for added "protection"

I found that Vallejo airbrush primer always just scraped off - be it on plastic, resin or metal. Even a vigourous drybrush could remove it.

To be honest, I find only the rattle cans (Halfords, GW, Tamiya, etc.) truely work.

Archived