5kaven5lave

I just want to wish all of you a well played year of the Rat. We did good. Carried that plague 'erwhere.

I'll take-steal all of the credit of course. As you might expect, only the strongest, the most brilliant of us will draw the attention of the Great Horned One!

Bask-Cower before my glory!

<PSA announcement: don't actually spread Covid, thats a ****** move>

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

What do people think of think of this Skryre army list idea?  

Arch Warlock

2 Warlock Engineers

3 Stormfiends (Ratling Cannons/Windlaunchers/Doomflayer Gauntlets)

2x5 Acolytes

1 Warpgrinder

1 Doom-flayer

1 Doomwheel

1 Warp Lightning Cannon

2x6 Jezzails

Warpcog Convocation/Arkhspark Voltik/Whyrlblade Threshyk 

4 drops and pretty shooty, with some pop-up tricks via Warp Grinder w Stormfiends and the Gnawholes.  Could be fun?  Not sure what the best Command Trait/Relics would be for it, but I do like the Warp Lightning Shield and More-More-Warp Power spells.

Or should I stick with 3 units of Stormfiends for battleline, drop the Warpgrinder (cuz the Stormfiends can take Grinderfists), drop the Acolytes and Jezzails, and take another Doomwheel.....and have a 1 drop army?

• LOVE IT! 1

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What do people think of think of this Skryre army list idea?  

Arch Warlock

2 Warlock Engineers

3 Stormfiends (Ratling Cannons/Windlaunchers/Doomflayer Gauntlets)

2x5 Acolytes

1 Warpgrinder

1 Doom-flayer

1 Doomwheel

1 Warp Lightning Cannon

2x6 Jezzails

Warpcog Convocation/Arkhspark Voltik/Whyrlblade Threshyk 

4 drops and pretty shooty, with some pop-up tricks via Warp Grinder w Stormfiends and the Gnawholes.  Could be fun?  Not sure what the best Command Trait/Relics would be for it, but I do like the Warp Lightning Shield and More-More-Warp Power spells.

Or should I stick with 3 units of Stormfiends for battleline, drop the Warpgrinder (cuz the Stormfiends can take Grinderfists), drop the Acolytes and Jezzails, and take another Doomwheel.....and have a 1 drop army?

It’s looks great but like @DocKeule mentioned, you might find it troubling fighting against fast armies like beasts of chaos, Ironjawz etc.

Good points all.  I've come to realize how important screen units are.  My crappy Gors saved the Bullgors when my Khorne Beasts fought full monster Mawtribes.  At that point I think I would need to go more mixed Skaven then, which would open up some other cool unit options (I really like Plague Priests, been using them as allies for a while for Azgorh and Khorne).  Back to the drawing board!  Still, feel like I should have at least 1 unit of Stormfiends regardless.  

54 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is a 1-eye Grunnock mercenary mega-gargant worth taking with Skaven?  I was thinking that plus a horde could be kinda cool and useful.  The biggest distraction 'carnifex' possible!  Or too many points?

Yes if: 1)Give it a generic artifact, so it doesn't completely derp and 2) the model is completley kitbashed to form some skaven city-smashin' robot. Any other way betrays the betrayal one often betrays in skaven. 

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is a 1-eye Grunnock mercenary mega-gargant worth taking with Skaven?  I was thinking that plus a horde could be kinda cool and useful.  The biggest distraction 'carnifex' possible!  Or too many points?

480 points is a lot and you have no synergies with the rest of your army.

35 wounds on the mega-gargant sounds a lot until you see the 4+ save.  For 40 points more you get six stormfiends who could probably cut a gargant down in a turn rolling well.

I you like the idea just for fun go for it though.

Edited by DocKeule

I just got my hands on a reasonably prices Thanquol and a verminlorn. I will be painting a lot the next couple of weekends and then pretty much have my army completed.

Edit: I don't think I will run those two too much (at least not outside casual games) but since Thanquol is the only named skaven character I wanted one and if I run my screaming bell I would want a verminlord just in case I summon one rolling a 12.

Edited by DocKeule
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 2:37 AM, DocKeule said:

I just got my hands on a reasonably prices Thanquol and a verminlorn. I will be painting a lot the next couple of weekends and then pretty much have my army completed.

Edit: I don't think I will run those two too much (at least not outside casual games) but since Thanquol is the only named skaven character I wanted one and if I run my screaming bell I would want a verminlord just in case I summon one rolling a 12.

Oh you should definitely run them all!  Those with however many Clan Rats you can fit would be pretty awesome.  And they wouldn't suffer battleshock, or almost never.   Dreaded Warpgale along with the Warp Lightning Vortex is super good, and the big dudes would give you some punch vs enemy heroes besides magic.  But the chance of summoning a Verminlord is too fun not to try sometimes :D

3 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Does anyone know of a place to purchase these models? I don't have a printer to do it myself... 

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/corona-containment-rats-emang

IMG_9844_large.jpg.69973a5aff04350b8b07656a6f8f5b50.jpg

Wow, those are NICE!  And apparently a free file?  I would recommend using Shapeways if you don't have a local source for 3D printing.  Sometimes local libraries have printers but they're usually the PLA filament types, better for big things like terrain sized pieces.  I just ordered some Plague Monks for Acoylte conversions.....have some spare heads from the Plague Catapult (gasmask heads), then I'll use bits from IG vehicles or something for the back packs (hard to find Arkanaut backpacks as separate cheapo bits).

The gnawholes certainly look super cool with the upper wooden parts!  I have seen many that did not have those.  I'll be using mine for a Skaveny One-Eyed Grunnock construct.

Gotta get a Thanquol.  Love that model.  What do people think is best to arm him with?  All Warpfire, all braziers, or a mix?  Or does it depend on what else is in the army?

The wodden beams are a drag to glue together but it looks more impressive that the gnawhole by itself. I shortened the parts a little though. Otherwithe I would not have gotten them in my transport case together.

I baught my Thanquol second hand and already built but for me 50:50 is okay. Against another horde army I might play him  as having more warpfire generators but the he is pretty weak in melee.

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Gotta get a Thanquol.  Love that model.  What do people think is best to arm him with?  All Warpfire, all braziers, or a mix?  Or does it depend on what else is in the army?

I always thought I would magnetise him when I finally get around to that model. 
I can’t imagine GW replacing that model in the next update, but that way I’m not stuck with the less cool configuration if the rules change. 

Squeak. So corona, lockdown and everything else actually deterred me from any hobby this year and apparently the last time I checked this thread, @Gwendarwas confidently looking forward to NOVA back in March. So almost a year on, where do we stand, furry compadres? How fares that mighty race of noble rats in the current WarHam landscape?

On 1/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh you should definitely run them all!  Those with however many Clan Rats you can fit would be pretty awesome.  And they wouldn't suffer battleshock, or almost never.   Dreaded Warpgale along with the Warp Lightning Vortex is super good, and the big dudes would give you some punch vs enemy heroes besides magic.  But the chance of summoning a Verminlord is too fun not to try sometimes :D

Wow, those are NICE!  And apparently a free file?  I would recommend using Shapeways if you don't have a local source for 3D printing.  Sometimes local libraries have printers but they're usually the PLA filament types, better for big things like terrain sized pieces.  I just ordered some Plague Monks for Acoylte conversions.....have some spare heads from the Plague Catapult (gasmask heads), then I'll use bits from IG vehicles or something for the back packs (hard to find Arkanaut backpacks as separate cheapo bits).

Do you have any suggestions for a first buyer/user of a 3d printing website? I have no idea what type of material/plastic I should purchase. 

3 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Squeak. So corona, lockdown and everything else actually deterred me from any hobby this year and apparently the last time I checked this thread, @Gwendarwas confidently looking forward to NOVA back in March. So almost a year on, where do we stand, furry compadres? How fares that mighty race of noble rats in the current WarHam landscape?

Played a pretty fun game yesterday with a friend of mine.

will give you the details tomorrow 

49 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Do you have any suggestions for a first buyer/user of a 3d printing website? I have no idea what type of material/plastic I should purchase. 

For Shapeways tiny detailed models, I like the Smooth Fine Detail Plastic.  It's more expensive but way better for bits:

Cataphractii Iron Helmets Carapaces Warhammer 30k (KM5V7JRWX) by CarvedMetal (shapeways.com)

However, for cost, since they're bigger models with the bodies, I'd probably go with White Processed Versatile Plastic.  It's got good strength and pretty good flexibility, however the surface is definitely a bit grainier than the Smooth Fine Detail Plastic.

You can upload your files to Shapeways after making an account and then the automated system will tell you how much the model will be in various materials.  You can probably get one in silver or gold if you're feeling deluxe (always wanted  to do that with an Eldar Wraith-dude of some sort).

• Like 1