gluing magnets to bases recommendations

peasant

I just used super glue (CA) same as you. I use a mitre bond from Screwfix, which is the same thing but comes with a can that accelerates drying. I've not had any issues, either with magnet to magnet or magnet to metal if all sorts of sizes. Maybe try scuffing the bottom of the base to increase surface area? 

I make little green stuff balls, stick them underneath the base, add a drop of superglue (not too much), and then slowly push the magnet in so that the greenstuff comes up around the magnet sides too.

I don’t take my models out too much these days but none have come off so far, out of almost a couple hundred models. And it’s quick enough to do also if you assembly line it.

Another thought is to maybe try to choose magnets that aren’t too strong (although still strong enough!) as they’re more likely to want to break free!

18 hours ago, Tommy said:

I make little green stuff balls, stick them underneath the base, add a drop of superglue (not too much), and then slowly push the magnet in so that the greenstuff comes up around the magnet sides too.

I don’t take my models out too much these days but none have come off so far, out of almost a couple hundred models. And it’s quick enough to do also if you assembly line it.

Another thought is to maybe try to choose magnets that aren’t too strong (although still strong enough!) as they’re more likely to want to break free!

17 hours ago, Kramer said:

So far no problem with super glue. But @Tommy is right, if you use to much superglue it works less, just a little layer on both sides, let it dry for 2 to 5 seconds and then press it together. At least that's how it works best for me :) 

This is pretty much how I magnetize my bases as well. I use more greenstuff for repairs than actual crafting lol

Make sure you are layering super glue on both sides of the green stuff. The layers should look like:

Base
Super Glue
Green Stuff
Super Glue
Magnet

What size magnets are you using? If they're too big the attraction from the magnet may be strong enough to weaken the hold of the glue each time you remove it from a magnetic surface.

Make sure the underside of the base is flat. Some bases have raised lettering or little bumps on the underside that will reduce surface area contact and filing these flat can make all the difference.

Also only use as strong a magnet as is necessary to hold the model in place. If you find the model isn't staying in place multiple tiny magnets can work better than one very powerful magnet that will pull itself off the base.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, Orsino said:

Make sure the underside of the base is flat. Some bases have raised lettering or little bumps on the underside that will reduce surface area contact and filing these flat can make all the difference.

This ^

Unlike other glues, superglue works best when there is as little gap between the two surfaces possible, embossed and other non-flat surfaces reduce the glue's strength.  In the suggestions above, all the green stuff does is to provide a super smooth surface.  You can actually achieve similar by using plastic glue to glue a piece of plasticard in place and then superglue the magnet to that.  There are some gel-based superglues that are designed to bond even when there's a bit of a gap, but for magnets you still can't beat a flat surface.

One tip that I give people is to glue the magnets onto the bases before you glue the models on.  This way you can have them upside-down on a baking sheet and the magnet helps to keep itself in place :)

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

This ^

Unlike other glues, superglue works best when there is as little gap between the two surfaces possible, embossed and other non-flat surfaces reduce the glue's strength.  In the suggestions above, all the green stuff does is to provide a super smooth surface.  You can actually achieve similar by using plastic glue to glue a piece of plasticard in place and then superglue the magnet to that.  There are some gel-based superglues that are designed to bond even when there's a bit of a gap, but for magnets you still can't beat a flat surface.

One tip that I give people is to glue the magnets onto the bases before you glue the models on.  This way you can have them upside-down on a baking sheet and the magnet helps to keep itself in place :)

I also add a little square of plasticard on my bases before gluing the magnet, allows you to get the height just right too.

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

This ^

Yeah, I've experimented quite a bit with this and found green stuff generally unsatisfactory for the job, particularly when you compare the cost of green stuff to a blob of superglue. Even after it has hardened green stuff retains a certain pliability that isn't suited to this task and if the magnet does manage to pull itself out of place it may stretch out the green stuff with it and leave a tricky mess to remove.

Make sure the underside of the base is smooth. Don't use a needlessly powerful magnet. Apply a generous blob of superglue. Nice simple process, and once you've got it worked out you can repeat it hundreds of times without any problems.

Archived