Next Round of Start Collecting/Battleforce Sets

We have some new armies already released and the pattern is that around Christmas or early the next year, a new Start Collecting box will come out for each army. The battleforce boxes will also come out for Christmas, which practically gives you a 1000 point army and are usually a good deal. 

The armies released this year that do not have a Start Collecting/Battleforce Box are:
-Mortal Nurgle
-Daughters of Khaine (minus the Allies box that isn't in production anymore)
-Idoneth Deepkin
-Stormcast Sacrosanct Chamber
-New Nighthaunt

Whether Moonclan or Darkoath get released or not later this year, idk if they will come out with boxed sets for them. 

Otherwise, which forces of those above do you think will receive a box and what might they feature?

9 hours ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Whether Moonclan or Darkoath get released or not later this year, idk if they will come out with boxed sets for them. 

I doubt it.  Traditionally it seems to take them a while to get around to making a Start Collecting box.  Even NightHaunt are new enough that I am not sure if they will get one this year.  Nurgle & Elves seem the most likely for the next wave.

I'm going to work under the assumption that GW is going to do new battle force boxes for Christmas this year(though did the last year ones stay around a lot longer than 2016?). We got a Khardron battle force the Christmas following their release, so I could see an Idoneth battle force this year. Since they're in the starter I would be slightly surprised to see Nighthaunt get a battle force, but not too much. and not surprised at all if there is a Stormcast battle force that leans heavily into Sacrosanct(maybe all sacrosanct). If Moonclan comes out this year, I think it'll be too late, so Destruction may get skipped again. Actually, I think a Moonclan battle force is more likely if we don't see new Moonclan. A darkhorse candidate for Destruction could be bonesplitters. We've had khorne, we've and Tzeentch, so I think there's a pretty good chance that Nurgle could be the chaos representative this year. Daughters of khaine are probably another good pick for a battle force box.  My guesses for battle force boxes from most to least likely are:

• Idoneth Deepkin
  • Maggotkin of Nurgle(maybe mortal, maybe mixed, maybe daemons)
  • Stormcast Sacrosanct
  • Dadughters of Khaine
  • Nighthaunt
  • Other death(Zombie based?)
  • Slaves to Darkness
  • Moonclan
  • Random Destruction grab bag
  • Bonesplitterz
  • Slaanesh

That's battle forces for this year. If we see new Start Collecting I think they'll be next year and I think we'll see Idoneth Deepkin, Stormcast Sacrosanct, and maybe Nighthaunt. We never saw a mortal tzeentch starter, so I'm not sure what the odds of one for mortal Nurgle is.  Given the prices of the allies box and that DoK don't have a cheaper center piece model for a Start Collecting, I don't know if we'll see on from them. The big problem is they don't have a small cheap hero. If they did, I could see witchelves, the flying ladies and cheap hero. Maybe winged ladies with cauldron of blood, but even that seems like a long shot.

I'm a little iffy on the Nighthaunt because they'll still be pretty new and there is the Start Collecting malignants, even if it is an imperfect starter. While could see it going away due to being an imperfect start for Nighthaunt, it's still a workable starter for Legions of Nagash.

If Daughters don't get a getting started kit at the very least a new Witches kit with a better price or more models would be nice! Right now its the biggest downside to collecting them that their most basic troop type is £35! Personally I expect their Getting started to be at least one if not two witches coupled with either snakes or harpies. 

The only downside to DoK is that they basically don't have a cheap commander unit and if GW puts the Cauldron in (which is a fantastic saving just for the number of leaders it gives) it gives little room to add more than one block of troops alongside.

1 minute ago, pseudonyme said:

I think Idoneth is too new to receive a start collecting

Surely being new, being a major marketing focus makes them ideal for a getting started box to, you know, get lots more people starting them

38 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Start Collecting for Daughters of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin, and Bonesplitters

I don't really see Bonesplitterz happening until they update the force and move more of the heroes to plastic or add some new kits.  There is no large centerpiece kit in the faction and that seems to be an ingredient in just about all of the Start Collecting forces.  I guess they could make one with a box of infantry, a box of boars, and the plastic savage orc boss.  However, this just seems like an unlikely box for them to make.  The Boss is an old WFB model that still comes with a square base (his toes are part of the base) and I don't see them including a model like that in a start collecting box.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Bonesplitterz getting a Start Collecting box for a while.

11 hours ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

We have some new armies already released and the pattern is that around Christmas or early the next year, a new Start Collecting box will come out for each army. The battleforce boxes will also come out for Christmas, which practically gives you a 1000 point army and are usually a good deal. 

The armies released this year that do not have a Start Collecting/Battleforce Box are:
-Mortal Nurgle
-Daughters of Khaine (minus the Allies box that isn't in production anymore)
-Idoneth Deepkin
-Stormcast Sacrosanct Chamber
-New Nighthaunt

Otherwise, which forces of those above do you think will receive a box and what might they feature?

On the topic of SC boxes, the KO box made me angry. It was everything I had bought, but $5 cheaper with a free unit. I collect everything, so I have to keep it on a budget, and so, I’ve pretty much sworn off anything that’s not in a “deal savings” box

But pretty much everything that has more than three units and two heroes deserves a box. Everything else probably deserves a small box. 

17 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

There is no large centerpiece kit in the faction and that seems to be an ingredient in just about all of the Start Collecting forces. 

I don't think that's really true. 

Stormcast Eternals, Khorne Bloodbound, Ironjawz, Nurgle Daemons don't have a centrepiece kit. I think you could arguably say that some of the others like Slaves to Darkness and Greenskinz don't particularly have a centrepiece model.

So I don't really see it as justification. It's cool, but I don't think it's necessary.

As to what we'll get in the future, I think only updated factions are going to get start collecting sets. Stuff like Daemons, Slaves to Darkness, Greenskinz all got sets when AoS was just starting because they wanted cheap entry points into the hobby and bundling up existing cheap sets made sense. But now that the game and background has been fleshed out, I don't think GW really want to put too much focus on stuff that isn't in the spotlight (Aka doesn't have a battletome).

So personally, my top picks would be:

Idoneth Deepkin - maybe something like Thralls,  Eels and an Akhelian King

Daughters of Khaine - Witches, Cauldron and Snakes/Khinerai

Maybe Mortal Nurgle as well? - Blightlords, Blightkings and either a Lord of Plagues or Lord of Blights depending on how generous GW are feeling.

I won't be surprised either if at some point they discontinue the Malignants set and make a proper Nighthaunt one. It's a weird set that's based around a racial keyword as opposed to a faction one.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sacrosanct pop up. GW generally want to push the starter set armies in all facets so they're easy to get into (hence starter sets, easy to build sets, etc). So a start collecting set is inevitable, it's just a case of whether it's in the next round or not. I don't think it'd happen this year.

Archived