Bringing things back from the history of fantasy

1 hour ago, michu said:

Ok, that could be done, but there's little issue - GW would probably try to move away from babylonian theme. I believe that they should make non-Duardin units for LoA, but not necessarily Hobgoblins (at least not only). Chaos Dwarfs are slavers and some mixed regiments of different species (Orruks, Grots, Human, Elves) could be nice. Skaven lost their Skavenslaves (as units, in the lore they still use them) so maybe LoA could bring that kind of units back, what do you think?

Yes as a skaven player, i really have to agree with you, it would be great to have skavenlsave and similar units back, which do not cost more but rather less than the original clanrat

GW surely dropped that unit, because only models for Skavenslaves were in the Clanrat box and they have the same function - cheap cannon fodder. But LoA is a totally different beast - they don't have that unit and cheap cannon fodder would be quite good for them.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:34 AM, michu said:

That's exactly Legion of Azgorh. They were just redesigned for FW release. Instead of Warriors and Blunderbusses you have now Ironsworn and Fireglaives.(but I agree that modern take on Blunderbusses would be great). Daemonsmiths even look similar to classic 5th ed Chaos Dwarfs. Problem is with hobgoblins, because they are greenskins (and greenskins are usually asociated with Destruction) and adding them to Chaos army could confuse some people.

In Blood Bowl Hobgoblins are part of the Chaos Dwarf team and there is also chaos goblins and chaos trolls.

It’s not particularly confusing but that may be because it’s less about destruction, chaos, order and death and more about your exact, individual team. 

2 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Ugh more old stuff and not completely new AoS factions/units instead. It is a new setting not just a copy and paste from fantasy. ?

Except that it kinda is since many of the factions have their history from the old world and its kinda, you know, the thread title ;)

Can I jump in and say that I think that the dispossessed could be fleshed out a bit more?  Bring back the anvil of doom in plastic, and miners too.  Maybe even the grudge thrower and bolt thrower too.  These seem low tec enough to not be ironweld arsenal.  Actually, if in future the IA become fully fleshed out, maybe the dwarves and freeguild could get their respective artillery units back.

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

Except that it kinda is since many of the factions have their history from the old world and its kinda, you know, the thread title ;)

I know but how about instead you give the old factions something... new? I mean being thrown into a world as strange as AoS I'm sure all the old tricks won't work and they've had to adapt to the new world and thus at least some new units. Anyways I won't post anymore as its off topic. 

1 hour ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Can I jump in and say that I think that the dispossessed could be fleshed out a bit more?  Bring back the anvil of doom in plastic, and miners too.  Maybe even the grudge thrower and bolt thrower too.  These seem low tec enough to not be ironweld arsenal.  Actually, if in future the IA become fully fleshed out, maybe the dwarves and freeguild could get their respective artillery units back.

Why not Rune Golem? They existed in FB.

9 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

I know but how about instead you give the old factions something... new? I mean being thrown into a world as strange as AoS I'm sure all the old tricks won't work and they've had to adapt to the new world and thus at least some new units. Anyways I won't post anymore as its off topic. 

Ahh but of course there will be new things to come, this is more about just wishlisting old stuff; plus as this is old st uff it is still around, someone might see it and go "hey that's cool" then go find those models, convert them up a bit or just use them as is for a proxy of something else that is current. 

Plus even when we've got old things they've changed; take the old Harpies from Dark Elves; once a beast-lords fodder now they are spear and blade wielding queens of combat; striking from the skies to deliver a surgical cut to the enemy. 

11 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I always felt the Grudge Thrower and Bolt Thrower shouldn't have been axed and instead given to the Dispossessed as artillery they didn't have to ally in.  Nearby Runelords could give them similar bonuses to the ones engineers give Ironweld artillery.

10 hours ago, Ashendant said:

Why not Rune Golem? They existed in FB.

This triggers my dwartisim. While rune golems would be totally thematically appropriate additions to the Dispossessed or even Fyreslayers in AoS, outside of a throwaway line in a Black Library novel, and as a way of using your 54mm plastic Fighting Fantasy models in WFB games described in a catalogue in 1985, dwarf rune golems did not exist nor remotely belong in WFB. Good day.

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

I always felt the Grudge Thrower and Bolt Thrower shouldn't have been axed and instead given to the Dispossessed as artillery they didn't have to ally in.  Nearby Runelords could give them similar bonuses to the ones engineers give Ironweld artillery.

This triggers my dwartisim. While rune golems would be totally thematically appropriate additions to the Dispossessed or even Fyreslayers in AoS, outside of a throwaway line in a Black Library novel, and as a way of using your 54mm plastic Fighting Fantasy models in WFB games described in a catalogue in 1985, dwarf rune golems did not exist nor remotely belong in WFB. Good day.

Regardless of that some sort of golem men does exist in this setting. They are said to be another of griminir wayward creations. It’s in the core rules in the chamon realm description. Sounds like a third dwarf army to me.  I would love for them to be dispossessed who had to seal themselves into constructs to survive age of chaos. 

14 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Let's allow the static play style from the world-that-was die out. Dwarves were always my favorite from a background perspective but were the least rewarding to play with and against. I'm ready for some new ideas to grow the Dispossessed. Drop all the aging, pre-eighth edition kits and give them some new concepts.

19 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Let's allow the static play style from the world-that-was die out. Dwarves were always my favorite from a background perspective but were the least rewarding to play with and against. I'm ready for some new ideas to grow the Dispossessed. Drop all the aging, pre-eighth edition kits and give them some new concepts.

Spoiler

battletome-kharadron-overlords-softback.

;) 

7 hours ago, Overread said:

Ahh but of course there will be new things to come, this is more about just wishlisting old stuff; plus as this is old st uff it is still around, someone might see it and go "hey that's cool" then go find those models, convert them up a bit or just use them as is for a proxy of something else that is current. 

Plus even when we've got old things they've changed; take the old Harpies from Dark Elves; once a beast-lords fodder now they are spear and blade wielding queens of combat; striking from the skies to deliver a surgical cut to the enemy. 

Khinerai and Harpies are not the same thing. Harpies still exist in the Mortal Realms in the Monster of Chaos faction.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:47 AM, Skabnoze said:

I think that when a Moonclan Battletome comes out they will go full blown into the crazy mushroom addicts & monstrous squig creatures.  I am fully on board with that idea, but I will be a bit sad to see them finally shed the utter hatred for dwarfs.  Mushrooms and Squigs have always defined Night Goblins in Warhammer Fantasy - but their absolute utter hatred of dwarfs was the third pillar of their fluff.  If you look at the models over the years that they have made for Night Goblins a lot of the heroes carried stolen dwarf items or scalped dwarf beards.  The dwarfs in return hated all greenskins and so dwarf vs Night Goblin was always a fun and fluffy match-up.

I'll be sad to see that go, but I hope that in the fluff for a Moonclan book they at least write some stories about battles with Dispossessed as a bit of a nod towards that old grudge.

Right know there is some talk of flying grots and guess who their enemy is... the floaty dwarfs. And going into the ground, those stupid fyreslayers are always burning mushrooms! 

And never forget that fluff is always adjustable for a cool idea. Dispossessed are still around and there are still making underground citadels. 

Lastly in general I always loved those 'nemises' armies. Love that they reintroduced it with Daughters of Khaine vs Slaanesh. 

He was killed during the end times, but I'd love them to add some units to my beloved Warherd, starting with bringing back Taurox the Brass Bull! He was an amazingly killy character back then with a cool backstory, but unfortunately never got a model during WFB. I think his aesthetic would be perfect for AoS.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:34 AM, Double Misfire said:

Reveal hidden contents

battletome-kharadron-overlords-softback.

;) 

Luckily there are a lot of other possibilities beyond just "dwarves with balloons". For instance, they could build off of Grungni and Spear of Shadows and explore some other area of technology/crafting that isn't focused on gunlines and artillery war machines.

Wait wait wait WAIT lets not go too nuts here! I mean Dwarfs without gunlines and without artillery - gah next you'll be having dwarves that aren't even born and bred underground! Or without beards! 

Also lets not encourage GW to think about things like Dwarves in power-armour (cause the Squat fanatics might just go all kinds of crazy on us)

Archived