Do You Have a "Pet" Unit/Model?

I love the model for doomwheel which I painted for my opponents skaven army early on. It’s been so inept it’s funny but ended up not using it anymore which is a shame as it looks great.  That said, I had a chat with my mate last night about Skryre threshik thing which sounds fun, never tried that. Worth a try at least.

ive just started to build paint a greenskinz grot army so will see how many of these fit this threads title...the fanatics look hilarious.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I converted a Brayherd Shaman into a Rotbringer Sorcerrer since I really didnt like the original model. Made up a little head canon as to how he was the only Brayherd to survive an assault by Stormcast, and in his prayers to Chaos, Rottigus answered. Now he's got all sorts of tentacles and goop, and I try to bring him every time I play Nurgle. Skulk him around in cover for a turn or two until I can cast his spell and drop 3 mortal wounds on a target instantly...he's sniped more than his share of heroes who ignored the little beastman and focused on the Blightkings and GUOs instead.

My other pet model is probably my Knight Questor, who soloed 10 Blood Warriors and 20 Blood Reavers and wiped out both units (though he did catch a healing spell from the Lord Relictor at one point). Traditionally I add a little skull to the base of a model that does something amazing during a game, but for that, I feel like I need to base him standing on a mountain of them.

12 hours ago, Lezlor said:

ive just started to build paint a greenskinz grot army so will see how many of these fit this threads title...the fanatics look hilarious.

Fun hint: You can base the fanatics so that the wrecking ball is on the base and the Grot is being flung through the air. It adds an extra level of hilarity to them.

27 minutes ago, Euphanism said:

Fun hint: You can base the fanatics so that the wrecking ball is on the base and the Grot is being flung through the air. It adds an extra level of hilarity to them.

GW made multiple different versions of fanatics in the past that were doing exactly that.  Like this one:

44_warhammer_night_goblin_fanatics_89_24

On 7/21/2018 at 9:26 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

Well Beastmen could maybe be a destruction army, but skaven are just a different kind of story.

from my perspective (or from most skaven players), they shouldn’t even be included in any of the grand allegiances, but simply put, have their own.

Oh, Queek headtaker and Thanquol are one of my favorite units in the game and lore.

I'd second that Skaven should just be a fifth grand alliance.

And I'll agree with others that it would be neat to see the lore of  Beastmen, Idoneth Deepkin, Flesh-Eater Courts, and even Daughters of Khaine IMO to be written as a forces of destruction. 

As for the topic on hand, I never played Skaven, but back when I played WHFB my buddy did and always took a Screaming Bell. That to me was a great model and rule set (6th Edition). So I guess that would be a pet model insofar as I wished my opponent would always take it. 

Ditto the HE phoenixes from 8th Edition.

As for my own pet models, I always loved the Tomb Banshee. Cool model, originally unique for being a ghost, and a unique rule that made it a shooter in an army without shooting. It's lost some luster now with Nighthaunt, but I'll still take at least one. 

One could say the Lord Arcanum on Tauralon is kind of my pet model (funnily enough it's still unreleased ?).

Unimpressive rules (mostly spell and CA), high point cost and, worst of all, disproportionately expensive money-wise.

I could even end conveting his head into something else!

And yet, I need to play it and make it work. Regardless of everything else ?

Part of me wonders if in the future the Grand Alliances might break up entirely. Even the Grand Alliances already have sub-alliance groups within them which could break-away; granted this would mean order armies would lose access to Stormcast allies; but other than that they wouldn't "lose" anything. 

Lets not forget when the old world fell and the new world was rising, Death, Destruction and Order were all allied under one banner against Chaos. 

16 hours ago, grungolah said:

I have at least one fanatic bouncing on a happy fun ball.  Good times!

"Happy Fun Ball" bwahahahahaha. That SNL reference just made my day. 

15 hours ago, Painbringer said:

Kurnoth hunters with Bows! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

One of the all-time great units and models. They look good and they feel good to play with on the table... and now you can summon extra. Just a great, great pick.

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Part of me wonders if in the future the Grand Alliances might break up entirely. Even the Grand Alliances already have sub-alliance groups within them which could break-away; granted this would mean order armies would lose access to Stormcast allies; but other than that they wouldn't "lose" anything. 

Lets not forget when the old world fell and the new world was rising, Death, Destruction and Order were all allied under one banner against Chaos. 

I don't think this is too far off from a possibility. I actually have a hypothesis on it myself.  

Your Death/Destruction/Order thing is an important point to remember as part of the progressing narrative of AOS (that's also been reinforced by the rules on the table). Leading into 2.0 we had Malign Portents and it sort of culminated when Nagash nearly blew up the Mortal Realms with the necroquake and accidentally made spells endless. GW has proven they'll take some awesome narrative thing and have it reflected in the rules. As a Death player, I'm particularly pleased that Chaos is like 'oookay, this Nagash dude is serious we may need to start worrying about him.' Skaven sabotaging Nagash (again) also puts them back center stage in the story (new Skaven United Battletome ala Legions of Nagash, plox?). And in the background you have some elf and slaanesh stuffs going on. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Malign Portents like thing is actually all about Aelves/Slaanesh. I mean it doesn't get more Soul Warry than what's going on with Slaanesh and Aelf Souls atm and that ties back into how mad Nagash is. It would be a solid segue to go from Nagash is mad to Aelfs doing Aelfs things and have that trigger the next big thing. Aelves being all selfish and such, I can see them going "we're going to make our own alliance now that we're back to power." I do think that somewhere in here Destruction needs to have "a big thing" though. Maybe something with all the old Godbeasts that Gorkamorka was going around and punching in the face.

I WOULD NOT be surprised if 3.0 comes out in a few years and whatever massive event that has happened tracing back to this current narrative arc sort of "resets" the Grand Alliances. GW has given themselves a TON of leeway and a bunch of paths to go down for future events, releases, and even re-releases of old models (what with a bunch of ghosts and ****** escaping Nagash). It's really exciting to think about and now I'm basically Conspiracy Theory Charlie from Always Sunny in Philadelphia. 

5 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Maybe something with all the old Godbeasts that Gorkamorka was going around and punching in the face.

But with the Godbeasts being friends or enemies to Gorkamorka? I really lol'ed at the idea of Gorkamorka going: Guys, do you remember when I smacked you real good? Yeah, why don't we join and stomp everyone? For laughs ?

Archived