AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just now, The Red King said:

So the latest rumour engine, everyone is calling elves but I don't see it. Thoughts?

Compare it to the back armor on Lotann:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Lotann-Warden-Of-The-Soul-Ledgers-2018

Or the crotch armor on Thralls:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Namarti-Thralls-2018

It looks a lot like Deepkin armor, but not anything else I personally recall to compare it to.

It doesn't particularly look like any of the Old World Aelfs, but your mileage may vary on how important that is.

19 minutes ago, madmac said:

Compare it to the back armor on Lotann:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Lotann-Warden-Of-The-Soul-Ledgers-2018

Or the crotch armor on Thralls:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Namarti-Thralls-2018

It looks a lot like Deepkin armor, but not anything else I personally recall to compare it to.

It doesn't particularly look like any of the Old World Aelfs, but your mileage may vary on how important that is.

See this is what I was looking for. I knew somebody somewhere was going to have seen the thing this reminded them of, I just couldnt think of it. 

Maybe GW is going to solve the alarming lack of giant enemy crabs in the first wave of idoneth?

I would like it to be new elves but I wouldn't hate weaponized giant pistol shrimp either...

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

They look great! Also, it looks like these are eternal guard weapons, on WWR bodies. Any reason for that

just used hoody heads, just becouse i like them more 😬 Those EG are the last ones to get a 1K fullpainted army.... god, this hobby is hard...

BTW! i was wondering about including the marauder mercenaries in my way to 1500 to get some extra melee people. ¿How you guys feels about them? They feel pretty wanderer-ish, do they? Also could be converted a little bit.

Edited by GladeRider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Thanks a lot! And Please don't die,-  it is so rewarding when the army comes together - I just had this moment when I finished more Glade Guard and got to the Basing.  Still there are 5 Glade Guard left out of 30 😬

Show full army!

2 minutes ago, martinwolf said:

Hey, I was wondering, when I run the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion, do I have to set all units aside at the start of the game or could I deploy a couple of the units normally and then put the rest aside?

From what I understand because it's a battalion you can either deploy all units on the first turn, setting aside as many as you want and placing as many as you want on the table.

Or you can deploy 1 unit at a time (on or off the table) until you want then deploy everything left in 1 turn (so if your opponent has 5 drops you can go, 1 unit, 1 unit, 1 unit, 1 unit, the rests)

• Thanks 1

Wow I just realized that if you go with waystone pathfinders, you lose an entire hero phase! So you could potentially go until the bottom of turn 2 without being able to cast any spells, or use any command abilities! Do most wanderers players go with the battalion? 

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Wow I just realized that if you go with waystone pathfinders, you lose an entire hero phase! So you could potentially go until the bottom of turn 2 without being able to cast any spells, or use any command abilities! Do most wanderers players go with the battalion? 

I just don't deploy complete off the board as most battleplans the objectives are in the centre of the board. So I set up my castle with spell weaver and nomad prince within range of the objectives, and then I set up the fast units or deep strike units seperately. I've never had much success with a totally deep strike deployment due to the 6" from the edge rule.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

The off board deployment that the battalion's version of Realm Wanderers grants is optional, and can be used on a unit by unit basis. You can deploy off the board all, some, or none of the units in the battalion in any combination; you effectively lose a hero phase only if you choose to deploy all your wizards and heroes off the board at the start. Instead you can have just a couple of key units off the board ready to move in and flank but deploy your heroes normally and not lose a hero phase. In short, the Waystone Pathfinders "Realm Wanderers" ability is really just a nice optional bonus but it's really the Defensive Volley ability and the big reduction in number of 'drops' you have that make the battalion worth it.

• Like 2

So for Meeting Engagements, how do you feel about this?

Allegiance: Wanderers

Spearhead

Waywatcher (120)

- General

- Trait: Masterful Hunter

- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow

10 x Glade Guard (120)

Main Body

Nomad Prince (80)

20 x Eternal Guard (140)

20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)

Rearguard

Wayfinder (80)

20 x Eternal Guard (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000 Extra Command Points: 0 Wounds: 85

I dont own anything yet, but wood elves look fun and they have some neat shooting tricks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GladeRider said:

BTW! i was wondering about including the marauder mercenaries in my way to 1500 to get some extra melee people. ¿How you guys feels about them? They feel pretty wanderer-ish, do they? Also could be converted a little bit.

It seems perfectly logical that Wanderers (being wanderers) would have as much contact with nomadic human tribes, barbarian or otherwise. as they do with city-dwelling humans, if not more so.  I have always felt that Wanderers see the importance of balance to maintain the existence of the Realms more clearly than other factions within Order.  Therefore, acceptance of a certain amount of unaligned Chaos may be necessary from time to time to realign that balance.  Similarly, Destruction and Death are also necessary ingredients within an Holistic approach to the Realms.

In short, go for it.  After all, 40 wounds for 200 points is not to be sniffed at. :) 

Personally, I've been wondering whether it's possible to kitbash some Aelven skeletons and an Aelven Necromancer, so that the ancestors can be called upon to aid the living when the need is great.  Does anyone know if there are Aelven skulls in the GW skulls kit?