AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@Gwendar I reckon you have the right of it but does this mean that the attacks are done all at once when the unit is activated in the shooting phase? Or can you choose to attack once with the unit, and then select another unit to fire and then fire again later in the phase? Similar abilities in the combat phase offer two pile in moves, so maybe we have to run each round of shooting to completion before running the second attack?

In my mind the split sequence is a disadvantage in most circumstances, unless you are locked in combat and cannot jump away, you manage to kill off the offending unit with your first round of shooting and then get to select another target there after.

@Origin I looked at it similarly to Slaanesh command abilities to pile in and attack twice, I see it as an advantage to be able to commit a bunch of shots to one target, and then depending on the outcome choose to shoot at the same target again, or have the freedom to shoot at another. I would much rather do that than have to commit two rounds of shooting at one target, potentially over killing it by a large margin.

Who knows, maybe email the rules team and see what they think of it for certainty. 

Edited by Gwendar

Went to a tournament last week with wanderers and came in 7th out of 12.  Had a great time with the army and was able to table a triple stonehorn with grots list.  I think the glade guard bodkins saved my bacon with that match up. Then on another match I had to use all 40 bodkin shots to take out a 2+ reroll1 treelord ancient general. It got the job done but then I got run over by Allarielle and her one shot sniping of my nomad prince with her friggin spear.  Glade guard were pretty good at blocking off objectives with just bodies once their bodkins were gone... so for now im still team glade guard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to choose between another unit of 30GG and a unit of sisters to complete my 2000pt Wanderers force. I already run 30GG

In favour of GG:

- I already have a second command unit painted, and it annoys me not using them

- I could build up slowly - paint another 8 GG and I can run 2 units of 20, while I paint up the others. (I painted the first 32 all in one batch and wanted to die)

- I'm not 100% sure I like the SOW aesthetic ported over from high elves to wood elves

- Buying 32 GG is £20 cheaper than buying 20 SOW (more so if I get them second hand!)

In favour of SOW:

- I would then have a complete collection of all the different models available to Wanderers (I've based my list more on the range of fun models to paint than being competitive)

- It would annoy Chaos players, particularly Nurgle. (This is partly a fluff thing, partly I had a game against a really annoying Nurgle player).

- The models are pretty cool, and might look less incongrous painted in wood elf colours

- I really struggle to get 30 GG into range for their bodkins. If I try to get close enough to get 30  models in range (which in practical terms means being about 14" away) then I inevitably seem to get charged first turn. Usually by a dragon. Glade Guard hate that.  20 SOW have a smaller footprint, which negates the difference in range, and have a chance of actually sticking around long enough to shoot.

Also, has anyone tried running units of 20GG? Or do they inevitably take a casualty before they can shoot, thus rendering their shooting ability worse than Orruk Arrowboyz?

Edited by DionTheWanderer

So I have another local tournie coming up start of October, same sort of rules as before (no double turn chance, no endless spells, no realm artifacts) and I'm slightly tweaking my list

Waystone Pathfinders

Nomad Prince with starcaster longbow

Spell weaver with viredecent shawl

Waywatcher general with eagle eyes

Waywatcher

Waywatcher

30 glade guard

10 sisters of the watch

10 sisters of the watch

10 sisters of the watch

5 sisters of the thorn

5 wild riders

As long as I keep my head in the game as to playing the objectives (so maybe not starting to drink at 9am lol) I should go alright.

I'm not worried about the damage output of the army, as long as things are positioned right I'll be fine, I just need to remember to focus on objectives

• Like 2

20 hours ago, adreal said:

So I have another local tournie coming up start of October, same sort of rules as before (no double turn chance, no endless spells, no realm artifacts) and I'm slightly tweaking my list

Waystone Pathfinders

Nomad Prince with starcaster longbow

Spell weaver with viredecent shawl

Waywatcher general with eagle eyes

Waywatcher

Waywatcher

30 glade guard

10 sisters of the watch

10 sisters of the watch

10 sisters of the watch

5 sisters of the thorn

5 wild riders

As long as I keep my head in the game as to playing the objectives (so maybe not starting to drink at 9am lol) I should go alright.

I'm not worried about the damage output of the army, as long as things are positioned right I'll be fine, I just need to remember to focus on objectives

What s the twist @adreal

@adreal do you find that you just get boxed out of your first turn alpha by a good enemy deployment?

I'm struggling with the battalion now more than ever, now we're limited to one unit per turn the one drop battalion is more appealing but it is even riskier without the option to redeploy should a decent opponent limit your first turn options. 

• Like 1

@Origin yeah for sure, but it does depend on the deployment map and the mission. 

It's a trickey one, but sometimes you will only get 2 or 3 units shooting in the first turn, so focus on objectives (either holding them or setting up to threaten them) and try to force movement is the key I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Origin said:

@adreal do you find that you just get boxed out of your first turn alpha by a good enemy deployment?

I'm struggling with the battalion now more than ever, now we're limited to one unit per turn the one drop battalion is more appealing but it is even riskier without the option to redeploy should a decent opponent limit your first turn options. 

Well, you don't have to drop the battalion in one go.  If you can tell how many drops your opponent has, you only have to keep back enough to win first turn choice.  So you can drop some units on objectives or strategic places and keep the rest back to drop later.  Depending on the situation, it might even be better to give them first turn - although probably not if they can summon immediately.   

I presume you have gone for a heavy shooting list to combat Seraphon in particular.  Have you considered 10 WWR and the Nomad Prince with the Forget-me-knot.  The Forget-me-knot would negate the Slann's ability to pass wounds to other units.  You would have to clear a path with your missile troops first.  You also have 2 command points for re-rolling charges.  

Sorry, meant this second bit for @adreal

Edited by Aelfric

1 hour ago, adreal said:

@Aelfric, i have gome more shooting heavy because 1 it suits my style of play and 2 our rules favour shooting over combat.

2 units of 5 wild riders would be good, but sisters do give an additional unbind and have a great spell (even though we lack an anvil to cast it upon)

Completely understand building to your preferred style and agree that Wanderers are better at missile than melee.  If you're going missile heavy, then SotW are the way to go now they are cheaper.  Hope it goes well for the next battle - would be interested to hear how you get on.  

If you did replace SotT with Wild Riders, would that be to add more SotW and do away with GG altogether?  You would have 360 pts, which is 20 Sisters.

7 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Completely understand building to your preferred style and agree that Wanderers are better at missile than melee.  If you're going missile heavy, then SotW are the way to go now they are cheaper.  Hope it goes well for the next battle - would be interested to hear how you get on.  

If you did replace SotT with Wild Riders, would that be to add more SotW and do away with GG altogether?  You would have 360 pts, which is 20 Sisters.

I doubt I would get rid of all my glade guard, bodkins freaks people out, but objectivly sisters are better for the long game, glade guard have that nice alpha strike and having 30 of them is nice

I have a gig 2 dayer coming up shortly, 2K, 1 realm relic. Pretty standard. Can't decide between these two lists...

Allegiance: Wanderers
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Eagle-eyed 
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (360)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)
10 x Eternal Guard (70)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 127

The frosty adds so much to the list. Fast, super tanky and hits pretty hard. The Miasmatic blade gives him -1 to hit... Perfect roadblock. Even with the price hike they are still pure awesome. I quite the like the fact that EG are now discounted in small units, 10 for 70 are solid objective campers. Trip waywatchers, the GGand SotW thump out a good amount of dakka and with the fire concentrated from 2 units I dont feel like i'm hampered too badly by the one unit teleport per turn nerf.

OR....

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Eagle-eyed 
Waywatcher (120)
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Waywatcher (120)

Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (360)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
10 x Eternal Guard (70)

Units
5 x Wild Riders (120)
5 x Wild Riders (120)

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (200)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

All the benefits of the 1 drop alpha and battalion etc. I don't feel the need for SotT with out a suitable target unit. I'm leaning towards list 1, mostly because I feel that list two can be countered too easily by a canny opponent. And the lack of a roadblock/combat unit is really unnerving.

Hey guys,

So I currently serve Nagash with my Nighthaunt army, and play a very aggressive 1 turn charge all melee style.  I am looking to build and Order Army that plays quite different.  Originally I was going to try to make an 'Alliance of Men, Elves, and Dwarves' with a Free City, but the soup Order is very all over the place.  The old Empire units all divided means I can't go with Free Peoples and have enough allied points for artillery AND dwarves and elves, which means I am stuck with generic Order if I go that route.  While a huge line of cannons sounds cool, it also sounds extremely static and not fun for my opponent to play against.

I am looking to play a ranged heavy army so that it is the exact opposite of the Nighthaunt I have, but also mobile and interesting to play as and against.  Obviously you all have a bias living here in the Wanderers section, but would you say Wanderers are more or less fun to play against than a Free Peoples gunline?  Free Guild handgunners can be extremely brutal if static, but it seems like Sisters of the Watch can be nearly as good with less synergy and less models.

Trying to decide between a gunpowder army or aelf arrows army to compliment my Nighthaunt collection.

15 hours ago, Nevar said:

Hey guys,

So I currently serve Nagash with my Nighthaunt army, and play a very aggressive 1 turn charge all melee style.  I am looking to build and Order Army that plays quite different.  Originally I was going to try to make an 'Alliance of Men, Elves, and Dwarves' with a Free City, but the soup Order is very all over the place.  The old Empire units all divided means I can't go with Free Peoples and have enough allied points for artillery AND dwarves and elves, which means I am stuck with generic Order if I go that route.  While a huge line of cannons sounds cool, it also sounds extremely static and not fun for my opponent to play against.

I am looking to play a ranged heavy army so that it is the exact opposite of the Nighthaunt I have, but also mobile and interesting to play as and against.  Obviously you all have a bias living here in the Wanderers section, but would you say Wanderers are more or less fun to play against than a Free Peoples gunline?  Free Guild handgunners can be extremely brutal if static, but it seems like Sisters of the Watch can be nearly as good with less synergy and less models.

Trying to decide between a gunpowder army or aelf arrows army to compliment my Nighthaunt collection.

Both are probably the same amount of fun to play against.

Free guild has access to be big monster but does play this very static, hold them off with the guard while hitting them with the crossbows.

Wanderers still have a hold them off with the Eternal Guard while hitting them with archers, but play a more fluid movement type game with the allegiance ability to teleport and fast options with cavalry.

Both are fun to play and play against with neither being to OP. Just depends what you feel like painting as you will need to paint a lot of models for each army. 

Does anyone here have any experience using Endless Spells to complement wanderers lists? I'm currently painting up my spells and wondering which ones to choose. 

I've gone with soulsnare shackles and pendulum to start with. Will report on how I get on.

Also, are people tempted to customise their spells to their armies or the appropriate realm? I've gone for the former (will post some pictures when I get home) as I quite liked the idea of the pendulum tearing into Ghyran (yeah, I'm not an original thinker with my realm theming). 

Edited by DionTheWanderer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DionTheWanderer said:

Does anyone here have any experience using Endless Spells to complement wanderers lists? I'm currently painting up my spells and wondering which ones to choose. 

I've gone with soulsnare shackles and pendulum to start with. Will report on how I get on.

Also, are people tempted to customise their spells to their armies or the appropriate realm? I've gone for the former (will post some pictures when I get home) as I quite liked the idea of the pendulum tearing into Ghyran (yeah, I'm not an original thinker with my realm theming). 

I have made up my mind on kitbashing the Quicksilver Swords out of Spare Glade Guard Swords, Shadow Warrior Swords and/or Ranger Draichs, however my inexperience with Greenstuff has prevented this little Project from happening. :)
(some cheesy lore: Since a lot of Models from my Army carry Ithilmar Swords - I imagine  the Quicksilver Swords I want to build as a ghostly apparition made out of the Souls of the slain Wanderers of my band. Therefore I could get away with all the Hands on the Weapons, for example by painting them (or the whole Kitbash) spooky ghostly.

• Like 1

Yes - the quicksilver swords look worth it for 20 points. 

Could you try disguising the hands by filing them down and using vines from the GW vine set to cover the spot/make the supporting structure? It’s massively overpriced at £15, but incredibly useful for Wanderers conversions. Maybe find it (or similar) for cheap online

• Thanks 1

Also, the Lifeswarm fits the best with the theme for Wanderers in general/my army in particular, but I think is overpriced at 60 points.  I guess it would be good to keep my Nomad Prince (nickname: Glasshammer the Fragile) in combat for another round or two. 

I suppose it’s priced to stop people using it to make a Greater Daemon or dragon invincible. A price I could take if there were any >5 wound/120pt models available to Wanderers. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Hmmn I wonder if this can be taken as confirmation that Kurnoth is dead.

Kurnoth (kurnous) was confirmed to be still alive in the Ghyran section of the new Core Book. Last we heard he's biding his time and regaining his strength in Ghyran somewhere.

The irony of that post in the Herald is that Khaine is confirmed dead (but not necessarily permadead if Morathi would stop drawing power from his literal heart)

• Like 1