AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Hey guys, I have recently ordered a Shrine for my Daughters (still unassembled, but some day..!) and I've been wondering about two things:

1. Is a free-walking Avatar of Khaine useful?

2. A bit of a modelling issue - the standard head for a Slaughter Queen is... well, unattractive. Anyone tried replacing it with something else? I've been wondering whether I could use a head from a Sorceress on Black Dragon... or, maybe, something from WH40K? Maybe I could steal a head from a Drukhari Succubus... or Lelith Hesperax? Has anyone tried that?

I did head swaps on all my heroes. Really not hard. You'll need a bit of green stuff is all. You can absolutely add in some 40k stuff. I did the opposite of what you're thinking and put witch aelf heads and weapons onto 40k bodies (with the futuristic bits shaved off). One of my hags has inquisitor greyfax as its body, and the other is... some eldar model. I think it's a harlequin? Medusa just got a heartrender head.

20200302_222020.jpg

20200302_222039.jpg

15832057323132478697189428610764.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Oh, interesting! Are these kinds of radical conversions allowed?

BTW. When mixing AoS and WH40K Aelf / Eldar parts, is there ever a problem with proportions, i.e. a head being too big etc.?

BTW 2. I have a spare Aelf Sorceress lying around and I'm considering using her as a Haq Queen... But she has this staff in one of her hands. Would it be considered a lore or rules problem if I have her keep it?

Another option is to try cutting off her head and using it for a Slaughter Queen, but I'm not sure if it's doable. Part of her hair seems integrated with the main body...

On another note, I have another question regarding Shrines and Avatars. Is a Shrine-based Avatar considered animated all the time, or does the priestess have to pray each round to activate him, just as if he was a free-walking unit?

5 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Oh, interesting! Are these kinds of radical conversions allowed?

BTW. When mixing AoS and WH40K Aelf / Eldar parts, is there ever a problem with proportions, i.e. a head being too big etc.?

BTW 2. I have a spare Aelf Sorceress lying around and I'm considering using her as a Haq Queen... But she has this staff in one of her hands. Would it be considered a lore or rules problem if I have her keep it?

Another option is to try cutting off her head and using it for a Slaughter Queen, but I'm not sure if it's doable. Part of her hair seems integrated with the main body...

On another note, I have another question regarding Shrines and Avatars. Is a Shrine-based Avatar considered animated all the time, or does the priestess have to pray each round to activate him, just as if he was a free-walking unit?

Conversions are encouraged at every event I've been to. Heck, you cant even get a painting nomination without the points from conversions at some of them. As long as it is clear what each model represents, you are fine. I have a cauldron I built from a 40k robot and the yncarne, and am building my bloodwrack shrine from a magmadroth.

Sometimes there are proportion issues, but less often than youd think. GW uses the same rough scale between systems, so a lot of pieces between their elves are close. 

Having some superfluous pieces isnt a big deal so long as it is clear what the model represents. If your hag has a staff, it should be fine. But if you were to use that model as a hag, and then also ally in a sorceress using the same model, there would be an issue. You cant induce that sort of confusion for your opponent.

Yes, the avatar on the shrine must be prayed to awaken turns 1 and 2, just like the one on foot. They are automatically awakened from turn 3 onward. Good news is, you can do the prayer to awaken it in addition to the prayer you take from the table in the book.

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

58952007-B9F9-40A1-AB0D-35ED353A92E1.jpeg.fc7d1077ab6d3b8b8d1d2cfce1e702a8.jpeg

I mean....not saying this might be new DOK stuff...but I am holding hope. Even if its for Underworld some cool new DOK minis would be welcome

This would be excellent. I'd love to see a mini release for some of the armies with smaller ranges like fyreslayers, FEC, and of course daughters, where we get 1 new dual kit each. Just to pad us out a bit. I wouldn't say no to a terrain piece that boosts our prayers a la the fyreslayer forge either.

So I'm looking at getting back into my daughters of khaine as I really enjoyed their glass cannon high damage playstyle but never really properly finished my project of them. So I'm wondering what my best options might be with what I currently have and expanding on it (ideally keeping costs down for now but it's also good to consider what to aim for in the future)

My current collection is:

-Morathi
-1 Blood Cauldron with slaughter queen
-1 Bloodwrack Shrine
-2x Foot hags
-1x bloodwrack medusa
-2x Avatar of khaine on foot
-20x Sister of slaughter with bucklers & whips
-10x which aelves with double knife
-10x Blood sisters

Any suggestions on where to take this? I mostly play a mix of casual to casual-competitive but I have plenty of 'for fun' armies so it would be quite nice to run this one with a bit of teeth to it.

59 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

So I'm looking at getting back into my daughters of khaine as I really enjoyed their glass cannon high damage playstyle but never really properly finished my project of them. So I'm wondering what my best options might be with what I currently have and expanding on it (ideally keeping costs down for now but it's also good to consider what to aim for in the future)

My current collection is:

-Morathi
-1 Blood Cauldron with slaughter queen
-1 Bloodwrack Shrine
-2x Foot hags
-1x bloodwrack medusa
-2x Avatar of khaine on foot
-20x Sister of slaughter with bucklers & whips
-10x which aelves with double knife
-10x Blood sisters

Any suggestions on where to take this? I mostly play a mix of casual to casual-competitive but I have plenty of 'for fun' armies so it would be quite nice to run this one with a bit of teeth to it.

After GHB2019 points changes you don't really need much else tbh.  Some ideas:

Option 1 [Most expensive]: Grab 20 more Elves to run a blob of 30 Slaughter elves and a 2nd small group of 10 Slaughter Elves, and 2 packs of Harpies to field a Slaughter Troupe. You will likely never field Morathi in this list due to points limits. 

Option 2 [Cheaper]: Ignore battalions and grab 2 packs of Blood Sisters so you can run the discounted max squad of 20. Bloodwrack will need to be general. 

Option 3 [Cheapest]: Buy 1 pack of Khinerai and use them as a deep strike source to patch up your immobility.  Least competitive but most flexible option, and probably the wisest of the 3 as it can let you transition into option 1. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nasrod said:

After GHB2019 points changes you don't really need much else tbh.  Some ideas:

Option 1 [Most expensive]: Grab 20 more Elves to run a blob of 30 Slaughter elves and a 2nd small group of 10 Slaughter Elves, and 2 packs of Harpies to field a Slaughter Troupe. You will likely never field Morathi in this list due to points limits. 

Option 2 [Cheaper]: Ignore battalions and grab 2 packs of Blood Sisters so you can run the discounted max squad of 20. Bloodwrack will need to be general. 

Option 3 [Cheapest]: Buy 1 pack of Khinerai and use them as a deep strike source to patch up your immobility.  Least competitive but most flexible option, and probably the wisest of the 3 as it can let you transition into option 1. 

Thanks for the quick response! Loading up on sisters of slaughter and some harpies sounds pretty fun though not being able to really field morathi is a bit of a shame (I do really like her model)

However I do like the idea of utilising SoS more than witch aelves for now but do you recommend I keep the whip & buckler for the 30 man unit or do some changes on 10 of the prebuilt and go with knife and whips on the big blob?

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Thanks for the quick response! Loading up on sisters of slaughter and some harpies sounds pretty fun though not being able to really field morathi is a bit of a shame (I do really like her model)

However I do like the idea of utilising SoS more than witch aelves for now but do you recommend I keep the whip & buckler for the 30 man unit or do some changes on 10 of the prebuilt and go with knife and whips on the big blob?

You can run a list that has every kit in our, admittedly small, range. Morathi, hag on cauldron, foot medusa, 30 SoS, 10 SoS, 20 snakes, 2x5 heartrenders is 2k exactly. 

As for SoS, there are good things about both types of builds. I run the list above, as I like morathi too much to not run her as well. Because it is a bit light on bodies, I like the bucklers to help them last, but they are sometimes lacking in the damage department. Knives would help with that, and in an army with more models, knives may be the way to go. I do think its personal preference, but in my eyes, SoS benefit more from knives because they could use some extra damage and pile in from 6 will help them survive, and witches benefit more from bucklers, as they often have enough attacks base.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:28 PM, jhamslam said:

1500 vangaurd tourney this weekend. Thinking about a last minute tweak, would love soem expert opinions before i go buy an avilgaurd SC for the scourge chariot i need lol. 
Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
Hag Queen (90)
Hag Queen (90)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
- Allies

Total: 1490 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 150 / 200
Wounds: 112

I went 2-1 and placed, which was nice. 1st match and my only loss was against my buddies SCE star drake list that is literally an impossible matchup ( we have played many games together and practice games for this tourney in particular) so im feeling good about the list. 

1st match- SCE-Places of power from core book ( tourney used core book instead of GHB19)  He brought meteor, and a star drake and some vangaurd raptors(?)/leaders/ draco mounts or something idk lol, SCE have too many models. He took priority turn 1, grabbed 2 objectives, one with the drake, and loaded the other with some other mounted units. got my hag queen with cathecism on turn 1 with AOE damage ( i deployed very poorly for that meteor but its pretty impossible to avoid in DoK where everything is stacked by shrine).  and ended turn. That was already game. I know his list very well, and i had to move past the drake to do anything, which just wasnt going to happen after he had moved. For those of you who havent fought the star drake fully loaded with the shard fist pelt, its straight up retarded against our army. 1+ save, rerolls 1, 4+ do mortals, 6+ heals 1 wound. So throwing a blob of WE into him results in dead WE models, and a healed dragon. You need to either throw the avatar on cauldron at him with mind razor, or bring sneks with mind razor. But that being said, the battleplan was extremely in his favor, heroes within 3" capping objectives and its all central to the board leaving him plenty of range to be in his auras and on 2 points. I Couldve played and given it a run, but i've faced it enough to know the tools at my disposal werent going to cut it. Conceded top of turn 2. 

2nd match was against PE OBR- mortek gaurds, boneshapers/ bone masons/ 6 stalkers- Battle plan was starfall or w/e where top of round 2 the meteors drop on each side. 
I hunkered down and let him come to me so i could have turn 3 hit rerolls. so turn 1/2 were me just staying out of range of his charge. My meteor dropped center of my zone, which was perfect because i had my entire army there ready to go left or right. He made the charge, came in HARD with some stalkers at -3 rend 3 or 4 damage. But my rolls were on fire, and i reflected plenty of mortals with heart piercer shield, and then took 8 wounds out of 22 from 5+ FNP with rerolls from blessing of khaine. I murdered the stalkers and the 20 blob mortek that had charged mewith some hero phase activates and regular combat. I failed to get mindrazor off, but the weight of attacks was more than enough and my opponents rolls were not great. I think this one swung heavily in my favor with some dice luck. 

3rd match- BoC- Gavespawn(?) . Lots of bestigors/gors/raiders - battle for the pass was the battle plan. 
i split myself on 2 points, and just held for his charges after he popped some bestigors outside 9" of my flank. We were even on point til turn 3 where he got priority and charged 30 bestigors at me with +3 attacks each from a chaos spawn, and +1 form the charge. He hit a 30 blob of WE with 115 bestigor attacks lol. i rolled 20 6s on my armor saves, literally killing his unit. and i only took 23 damage from his 87 wounds. Thats right, i killed his unit on their charge lol. On my turn i dropped some heartrenders on his back objective that he had killed all the gors off with his herdstone. that was gonna give me a 4 pt lead and the match had 15 minutes left, so we called it. 

That was my first tourney so im happy with the results. The army is so good against alot of matchups, but SCE has always destroyed me. It was my first time using scourge runner chariots, and for their points, holy ****** its a steal. Great screening unit, excellent hero sniping, and very fast. 

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

I went 2-1 and placed, which was nice. 1st match and my only loss was against my buddies SCE star drake list that is literally an impossible matchup ( we have played many games together and practice games for this tourney in particular) so im feeling good about the list. 

1st match- SCE-Places of power from core book ( tourney used core book instead of GHB19)  He brought meteor, and a star drake and some vangaurd raptors(?)/leaders/ draco mounts or something idk lol, SCE have too many models. He took priority turn 1, grabbed 2 objectives, one with the drake, and loaded the other with some other mounted units. got my hag queen with cathecism on turn 1 with AOE damage ( i deployed very poorly for that meteor but its pretty impossible to avoid in DoK where everything is stacked by shrine).  and ended turn. That was already game. I know his list very well, and i had to move past the drake to do anything, which just wasnt going to happen after he had moved. For those of you who havent fought the star drake fully loaded with the shard fist pelt, its straight up retarded against our army. 1+ save, rerolls 1, 4+ do mortals, 6+ heals 1 wound. So throwing a blob of WE into him results in dead WE models, and a healed dragon. You need to either throw the avatar on cauldron at him with mind razor, or bring sneks with mind razor. But that being said, the battleplan was extremely in his favor, heroes within 3" capping objectives and its all central to the board leaving him plenty of range to be in his auras and on 2 points. I Couldve played and given it a run, but i've faced it enough to know the tools at my disposal werent going to cut it. Conceded top of turn 2. 

2nd match was against PE OBR- mortek gaurds, boneshapers/ bone masons/ 6 stalkers- Battle plan was starfall or w/e where top of round 2 the meteors drop on each side. 
I hunkered down and let him come to me so i could have turn 3 hit rerolls. so turn 1/2 were me just staying out of range of his charge. My meteor dropped center of my zone, which was perfect because i had my entire army there ready to go left or right. He made the charge, came in HARD with some stalkers at -3 rend 3 or 4 damage. But my rolls were on fire, and i reflected plenty of mortals with heart piercer shield, and then took 8 wounds out of 22 from 5+ FNP with rerolls from blessing of khaine. I murdered the stalkers and the 20 blob mortek that had charged mewith some hero phase activates and regular combat. I failed to get mindrazor off, but the weight of attacks was more than enough and my opponents rolls were not great. I think this one swung heavily in my favor with some dice luck. 

3rd match- BoC- Gavespawn(?) . Lots of bestigors/gors/raiders - battle for the pass was the battle plan. 
i split myself on 2 points, and just held for his charges after he popped some bestigors outside 9" of my flank. We were even on point til turn 3 where he got priority and charged 30 bestigors at me with +3 attacks each from a chaos spawn, and +1 form the charge. He hit a 30 blob of WE with 115 bestigor attacks lol. i rolled 20 6s on my armor saves, literally killing his unit. and i only took 23 damage from his 87 wounds. Thats right, i killed his unit on their charge lol. On my turn i dropped some heartrenders on his back objective that he had killed all the gors off with his herdstone. that was gonna give me a 4 pt lead and the match had 15 minutes left, so we called it. 

That was my first tourney so im happy with the results. The army is so good against alot of matchups, but SCE has always destroyed me. It was my first time using scourge runner chariots, and for their points, holy ****** its a steal. Great screening unit, excellent hero sniping, and very fast. 

Sounds like you had a good event. Honestly the stardrake has never been too impressive considering how many points go into making it work. Unfortunate considering how cool the model is. It sounds like you got a bad matchup considering your lack of rend or mortal wound sources. It's funny that your next game presents a very similar situation in the super tough petrifex matchup but you pulled that one out without much difficulty. Petrifex are one of the new boogeymen while stormcast is considered a more easy matchup typically. But metas are always different.

I have a 1 dayer saturday myself to prep for adepticon. Im considering adding in a unit of scourgerunners like you have here, but unsure if I want to try to tackle that hobby project in such a short time.

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

Sounds like you had a good event. Honestly the stardrake has never been too impressive considering how many points go into making it work. Unfortunate considering how cool the model is. It sounds like you got a bad matchup considering your lack of rend or mortal wound sources. It's funny that your next game presents a very similar situation in the super tough petrifex matchup but you pulled that one out without much difficulty

Ya the stardrake is a huge point sink,  and def comes up short against alot of matchups ( hell even a block of blood sisters with mindrazor can end it). but against a pure WE attack, and the way my buddy kits his out with 1+ reroll 1s, reflecting wounds on 4+ healing on 6s, the weight of attacks really works against it. Honestly i've had very few problems with OBR so far in my 3 games against them. I've been on a realllll hot streak with my FNP saves lately though lol. And the hero phase activate from SQ bypasses their reroll saves which is HUGE. 

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

I have a 1 dayer saturday myself to prep for adepticon. Im considering adding in a unit of scourgerunners like you have here, but unsure if I want to try to tackle that hobby project in such a short time.

i'll say this, i used mine very poorly in all 3 matchups, and i would still say they were all stars throughout the day. I mean holy ****** for 150 pts you get soooooooo much potential. the bases are the same size as the cauldron so you can straight up deny objectives and flanks with them. And since they dont benefit from anything DoK you can throw them on their own and still have them at full potential. and ooooh boy is it nice having a range threat in DoK. Its damn near impossible to hero hunt i've found with DoK. but for 150 pts you get to potentially do 6 d3 mortals, thats worth it in and of itself, not to mention the rest of the profile. I want another 3 tbh lol. 

If I can come back to my posts from Tuesday...

On 3/3/2020 at 1:34 PM, Graywater said:

Conversions are encouraged at every event I've been to. Heck, you cant even get a painting nomination without the points from conversions at some of them. As long as it is clear what each model represents, you are fine. I have a cauldron I built from a 40k robot and the yncarne, and am building my bloodwrack shrine from a magmadroth.

Sometimes there are proportion issues, but less often than youd think. GW uses the same rough scale between systems, so a lot of pieces between their elves are close. 

Having some superfluous pieces isnt a big deal so long as it is clear what the model represents. If your hag has a staff, it should be fine. But if you were to use that model as a hag, and then also ally in a sorceress using the same model, there would be an issue. You cant induce that sort of confusion for your opponent.

Yes, the avatar on the shrine must be prayed to awaken turns 1 and 2, just like the one on foot. They are automatically awakened from turn 3 onward. Good news is, you can do the prayer to awaken it in addition to the prayer you take from the table in the book.

Okay, I've received my Shrine today. I compared the Slaughter Queen parts to the Sorceress parts... I think it should be feasible to use the Queen's arms on the Sorceress. I hope to try this during the weekend...

BTW. The Shrine looks very nice - nicer that I expected, actually. My hands are itching to start assembling it. Buuuut... I think it's one of those models that needs to be painted before assembly, right? I suspect it might be hard to paint the crew after glueing them onto the shrine itself. Meanwhile, I'm not in a painting mood lately...

So - should I assemble the shrine, because I feel like it, and worry about painting it later? Or spend the next month on assembling *and* painting it? Drat, this hobby can be frustrating at times...

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Ya the stardrake is a huge point sink,  and def comes up short against alot of matchups ( hell even a block of blood sisters with mindrazor can end it). but against a pure WE attack, and the way my buddy kits his out with 1+ reroll 1s, reflecting wounds on 4+ healing on 6s, the weight of attacks really works against it. Honestly i've had very few problems with OBR so far in my 3 games against them. I've been on a realllll hot streak with my FNP saves lately though lol. And the hero phase activate from SQ bypasses their reroll saves which is HUGE. 

i'll say this, i used mine very poorly in all 3 matchups, and i would still say they were all stars throughout the day. I mean holy ****** for 150 pts you get soooooooo much potential. the bases are the same size as the cauldron so you can straight up deny objectives and flanks with them. And since they dont benefit from anything DoK you can throw them on their own and still have them at full potential. and ooooh boy is it nice having a range threat in DoK. Its damn near impossible to hero hunt i've found with DoK. but for 150 pts you get to potentially do 6 d3 mortals, thats worth it in and of itself, not to mention the rest of the profile. I want another 3 tbh lol. 

I'll pretty much always take morathi and/or a unit of snakes for exactly the issue you outlined. I'm not currently planning on running a slaughter queen (probably a mistake) to bypass the reroll saves on the morteks, so hoping the snakes pull their weight on the inevitable OBR matchup.

When it comes to the chariots, I'm torn. I see the shooting damage potential, particularly over other units like shadow warriors and heartrenders, but they also lack a lot of the utility those 2 units provide. Furthermore, besides the logistical issues of transporting them to events I fly to with my current setup, their size can be as much a hindrance as it is a boon on the table. Lastly, their average shooting damage actually isnt as impressive as youd think- around 2 wounds +d3 mortals caused to a 4+ save model, not accounting for damage mitigation abilities or to hit/wound modifiers. It can spike, but averages arent making me feel like I absolutely have to run the unit. I dunno...

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

Okay, I've received my Shrine today. I compared the Slaughter Queen parts to the Sorceress parts... I think it should be feasible to use the Queen's arms on the Sorceress. I hope to try this during the weekend...

BTW. The Shrine looks very nice - nicer that I expected, actually. My hands are itching to start assembling it. Buuuut... I think it's one of those models that needs to be painted before assembly, right? I suspect it might be hard to paint the crew after glueing them onto the shrine itself. Meanwhile, I'm not in a painting mood lately...

So - should I assemble the shrine, because I feel like it, and worry about painting it later? Or spend the next month on assembling *and* painting it? Drat, this hobby can be frustrating at times...

Personally, I fully build kits before painting. I rarely have issues getting to different parts of a model if it is built, and I like to see how itll look as a whole as I go. On the flipside, some people swear by sub assembly painting because those are issues for them. So I think it's just down to what you prefer. I can say that this model isnt too difficult to move around and reach all of the parts, but it's your call.

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

My Shrine is build without crew, so when I come around to paint it it will be easier. 

It's perfectly usable in this subassembly 

Had my first tournament of the season. Just a 3 game one dayer, but some good practice with the new version of my list for adepticon at the end of the month. I won, taking out gloomspite, hallowheart, and fyreslayers. I ran:

Hag nar

Hag on cauldron with iron circlet and blessing

Bloodwrack shrine general mind razor

Morathi mind razor

30 sisters of slaughter

10 sisters of slaughter

20 blood sisters

5 heartrenders

Game 1 was against a trogg heavy gloomspite list featuring 15 rockgut troggoths, 6 fellwater, a shaman on araknarok, and a dankhold. Unfortunately for him it was knife to the heart, and long story short, blood sisters with mind razor killed every troggoth on the board by the end of turn 2 and my 30 sisters of slaughter (SoS) took his objective. This game was over before it started. The troggoths are super cool but just cant compete with daughters, especially with an auto win condition.

Game 2 was battle for the pass against a hallowheart army consisting of several sorceresses and a just a bunch of darkling covers infantry. The board had these large volcanic rocks across the middle of the board that made it so there were only two passageways about 8 inches wide for infantry to get from one side to the other. This was where the middle objectives happened to lie as well. You could tell there was going to be some 300 style, battle for thermopylae type action at those spots. I finished deploying first and so let my opponent go first. He moved and ran his entire army forward a ways, assuming he was safe behind the large rocks. They were 8 inches high, so nothing was going over them quickly...unless they can fly... so morathi flew and charged over the middle rocks and tied up almost every unit in his army. Whoops. My blood sisters and SoS moved towards the two passageways and prepared to just hold objectives. By the time my opponent chewed through morathi and ready to charge my snakes with what he had left, he was already too far behind to catch up in points.

Round 3 was fyreslayers in focal points. I wasnt happy to hear this, as it's a great game type for fyreslayers and an army I've historically struggled with. He had a lords of the lodge battalion and a forge brethren battalion. Overall it had 40 berzerkers, 2 priests throwing out +1 save and -1 to hit,a battlesmith, and 3 units of 5 auric hearthguard with their magma pikes. His overall plan was going to be to buff the lords of the lodge berserkers to a 2+ save with a 4+ dpr, -1 to wound, and targeting my key units with an added -1 to hit and just push through my army. He deployed all of his aurics on his left objective, and his heroes and lodge zerkers with broadaxes on the other. I put my 30 sos across from his aurics with the snakes behind them, anticipating the 20 zerkers with pole axes to tunnel out of the ground in front of me. However, he gave me first turn, which meant that witchbrew, mind razor, and blessing went on the sos, and they ran forward to charge the aurics. Morathi also transformed immediately and moved forward with them. Morathi failed her charge, but the sos didnt, and they tied up all of the aurics and killed 2 of the units of 5. I wasnt worried about his zerkers coming into me, because they were deployed pretty far away, and I strung back a nice little line of SoS from the big unit that charged in front of my cauldron and shrine just in case. This scored me 6 points. He dropped in his 20 pole axe zerkers on his back board edge to try to reclaim his objective, but failed the charge. The other zerkers ran because they were too far away to do anything. He scored 1 point. We roll for initiative and I win. Im pretty sure I have the game here, as we are going to be fighting on his objectives for the next two turns at least. morathi flies to his back objective with the lords of the lodge berserkers, holding them there for 2 turns. The sos and the pole axe zerkers pummel each other until there is only one aelf left (she was a boss!) and maybe 6 dwarves... who were promptly pounced on by the snakes acting as backup. I score 6 points per turn as I have him tied up in his backfield, and we call it turn 4 with a score of 24-6. 

Coming away from this, I am much more confident with fighting fyreslayers. I feel like I have a better grasp on what they do now. I also really like the shift to a bloodwrack shrine over a foot medusa. I'm significantly more comfortable actually using the medusa for those stare attacks now that she is on a more durable platform than when I had her on foot. Shes too important to have her so easily sniped out like she was susceptible to when she was without her shrine. I thought I'd miss the end heartrender unit, but I really didnt, and i feel getting the extra use out of the medusa more than made up for it. 

Edited by Graywater
  • Like 1

If I can do some minor boasting, I'd like to show you the effects of my weekend conversion experiment...

As I mentioned earlier, I was dissatisfied with the Slaughter Queen mini, so I decided to try and improve it. In the end, I came up with the plan to combine the Queen with the Aelf Sorceress I had lying around. Here's the result:

dok_slaughterqueen1.jpg.b67bcc50c4293e1a87d8dc30e7bd6f82.jpg:

dok_slaughterqueen2.jpg.0bfa6bc03c60d9314393c8d1e9a6e65e.jpg

Basically, I cut of the SQ's forearms and transplanted them onto the Sorceress... The result isn't perfect - still, I like the resulting mini better than the standard "porcupine in an ugly mask" SQ mini.

I realize it's all pretty basic, but it's only the second conversion I've ever done - and the first one that involved actually cutting and kitbashing the minis. So, I'm quite satisfied.

BTW. I have also assembled my first Cauldron / Shrine this weekend (without a crew at the moment). Now, I'm considering painting it! Not sure about the colour scheme, though... Any Cauldron photos you guys could share?

• Like 3

I'm glad you liked her, guys :)

I'm entirely satisfied with how the sword arm fits the pose - seems like an awkward way to hold a sword... Also, if you look closer at the elbow part, you can it's half-melted due to fiddling and too much glue :D Nevertheless, I like the overall results.

I plan on buying another Cauldron and I'm wondering what to do with the SQ from that one... This time around, I'd like to try a head transplant - the problem is finding an appropriate head. My three options are: the ponytailed Sorceress on Dragon, a Drukhari Succubus and Lelith Hesperax. Lelith would be my first choice, but the way her mini is constructed, I fear that extracting her head and hair would be beyond my skills. Nevertheless, just imagine a SQ with that updo!