AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

ranged is going to be our ticket in the coming days.

Yeah, I do think so. Or you run a heavy Hammers of Sigmar alpha list. I also think that a staunch defender list focussing heavy on sequitors and evocators can take the huge blow thrown at us between Gristlegore, Bloodthirsters, and VLoZDs. People think they are truely that overpowered, but stack staunch with lantern and cast the Arcanum ability, and you have this re-roll everything unit with a 2+ save, healing on 5's vs no rend and 6's vs 1 rend.  On top of that hitting back as a truck. But yeah, I think it's either being very heavy focussed on range backup, or on ranged damage dealing. I agree.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Also, looking at the Khorne changes, it just solidifies the future of Stormcast as a shooting heavy army imo. Between Gristlegore, Bloodthirsters, and VLoZDs, ranged is going to be our ticket in the coming days.

There's still a place for melee units, but Stormcast definitely have to take a mix of shooting/magic and melee. 

I think Dracoths are going to be a super important unit going forward. Fulminators being able to get 0+ save rerolling 1s against shooting is really valuable.

Edited by PJetski

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

Not mandatory, he will be valuable on your turn 2, in which he can lantern the evocators to a 3+ save with heals on a 7+. This will be a 3+ re-roll 1 save vs shooting. But he is indeed interchangeable if you don't feel you need the added defense. Your choice to replace him can be a good one. Do what you prefer. I also changed the list myself. Currently this is my final Fabrication: 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Man of Mystery
Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Mount Trait: Windrunner
Lord-Castellant  (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Lore of Invigoration: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
9 x Longstrike Vanguard-Raptors (540)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra CP: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

Explanation:
Fielding the battleline units. Also fielding the incantor with the Raptors. That's 5 units fielded. Keeping the Aquilor, Castellant, Azyros and evocators in the air. The Incantor can trigger the Raptors shooting twice ability in the first turn and can protect the raptors with the spells. If you face an alpha strike list you can ward yourself with the azyrite halo and be ready to go all out with the Spirit flasks putting the battlelines in harms way in case of an extreme case. Later on the Azyrite Halo might actually be of use close towards evocators. When you have the chance you drop down the evocators in place, castellant, azyros and aquillor. Turn 3 and 4 is when you want to strike ultra hard with this list. Casting Speed of Lightning on the evocators to engage a charge, boosting the evocators with the lantern in turn 2  and trying to get the charge off, again you shoot twice with your raptors. Either your raptors are now in danger and you need to swoop in and use an extra CP to pick them up and relocate them with the aquilor. But you still get to shoot twice. Now in turn 3 is where you can start being explosive. You probably still have at least 1 extra CP and your raptors should be save now either by having them re-located or by just being defensive enough. Now you can use the Anvil Command ability twice. Once for the evocators and once for the raptors. If you had 2 CP left, you could do the same in turn 4. If not you are back to just the evocators or just the raptors. 

Seems awesome, already bought models haha! I will tell you how the list is doing ;)

This list is not complete and but wanted to see what the community thought. 

I have 140 free points. I want to use the Libs as screens and objective holders. I didn't pick any artifacts. Not sure about grabbing Everblaze or an extra Ballista. Also should I change out Aventis for a cheaper general to free up more points?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (360)
- General
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1860 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 97

1 hour ago, Rotten said:

wanted to see what the community thought. 

So, a few thoughts on this list:

Aventis by himself can definetly be a power house. He is pretty okay in combat, Very strong in the hero phase(with good placement you can litterally set an entire army on fire if you know what I mean), but unless you want sequitors as battleline in your list, don’t take him as general. He is a named hero and therefore may not take a Warlord Trait nor Artefacts. So by taking him as general you waste your Warlord Trait. So at least make your ordinator the general in this case.

second: Aventis Firestrike is a Hammers of Sigmar exclusive character, unless you play Hammers of Sigmar, you cannot use his command ability on your units, So if your idea was to up your longstrikes wound rolls by one, while also using the Anvils CA, well i’m sorry, you can’t. However you can include him though, you just can’t use his personal CA on your units. And he also can’t channel the Anvils CA. So if they take down your Ordinator. Your Anvils CA, is gone.

third: As for warlord traits and artefacts. By picking a stormhost it means that you are bound to take the stormhosts trait, which is Deathly Aura for the Anvils. Your first artefact must also be the stormhosts artefact, which is Soul Thief, and only the ordinator can have both on your list. 

Conclusion: personally i think Aventis within this list not a very good pick. He will blow up things, but won’t help you in any other way. You are a bit light on bodies, so you definetly need something to help you with that. With your list a lord arcanum is not necessarily needed, but it is definetly an option(on mounts or not). With this many ranged options, not seeing a Knight-Azyros surprises me. Do know without evocators/incantors/arcanums, you shall be vulnerable against magic heavy armies. I do think this list needs a bit of work, but you can definetly work towards something with 500 points.

Edited by That Guy

So with the things that I own (minus the longstrikes) I'm thinking up something like this,

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph (240)

Knight-Incantor (140)

Knight-Heraldor (100)

Knight-Azyros (100)

Lord-Veritant (120)

Troops:

Sequitors x5 (120)

Sequitors x5 (120)

Sequitors x5 (120)

Other:

Evocators x10 (400)

Longstrikes x9 (540)

I'm thinking about dropping the Lord-Veritant for a Lord-Relictor just for the model looking cooler in the Anvils theme, but that extra dispel is nice. I'm not so sure about keeping the Knight-Azyros either. I also have 10 Liberators available, and a Castellant.

• Like 1

Thank you @That Guy I hate not having my Battletome here with me at work to look at things and completely overlooked Aventis being a named. Yea I want to build a shooter list. I am trying to lean more on a "Ask a question list" over "Answer question list". Asking list is hey buddy can you handle all of this shooting over the Answer list being oh you have magic I have an answer for that, you have melee charging I have a answer for that...

@Rotten Why not both..? Ask questions first, answer later. At least, that’s the trick. With shooting lists like these you want to control the momentum of your enemy. Shutting down their support heroes/units takes priority and making their army synergy crumble. Afterwards, it’s you who answers every one of their moves. Failing to do this, usually means that you are the one on the wrong end of the Heraldor trumpet, if you know what I mean. The trick is finding out how to prevent this and make your list adaptable, for example by using a lord aquilor or relictor with translocation or even a knight-vexillor with pennant. Repositioning, outplaying and answering to your weaknesses. With such a shooty list. You have to respect your strengths, which is shooting.

Edited by That Guy

1 hour ago, stus67 said:

So with the things that I own (minus the longstrikes) I'm thinking up something like this,

Interesting list, once again Someone who tries to do both the melee and ranged potential of the anvils... i’m surprised. On tournaments what we usually have seen so far are either melee focused lists with backup ballistas or ranged focused lists with good screen units and longstrikes. Yet everyone seems to want to shift more towards a best of both lists. Now with your list, i feel you are still a bit light on bodies. 1 x 10 sequitors would be better in there, but you do have a back bone somewhat. 

Now let me tell you a story about my Lord-Veritant that i’ve never used so far and own since it’s release. It’s never used. 

I think the azyros is actually in a good spot in your list in all honesty. He can fall back easily and has a good melee backup, wouldn’t swap him out if you plan to longstrike your way up to victory. They uh, do a bunch of damage. Lord-Relictor with Translocation or Vexillor with pennant is definetly a good pickup. With the Vexillor you can have him at your forefront boosting your melee units charges for re-rolls, which means you can take another spell on your evocators. With the pennant you can once per game pluck your raptors and reposition them. The relictor can keep relocating every turn, but you do have a 1/3th chance that you’ll fail the prayer keep that in mind. The Aquilor can also swoop them away, but for a CP.

with the arcanum and knight incantor you do already have some unbind power as well.

edit: actually now with your heraldor in there, you must consider a few things. You can either Speed of Lightning your evocators, make them run and charge with re-rolls to charge combo. Or you can have a pennant vexillor handle the re-roll charge aura, which you by the way never have to cast since it’s a totem effect. I think the best option for your list truely is including a knight-vexillor with pennant instead of the lord-veritant. You’ll be able to re-roll charges around him and boost your evocators with your heraldor. Good fast engage list solid foundation. Liking it

EDIT: I think i would speed of lightning the evocators anyways, not just to have a bigger coverage of the re-roll charges, but if they take down your vexillor you have a second source of re-roll charges. Not to mention you probably want to Empower anyways instead of celestial blades. Alternatively you drop out the Vexillor in a whole and add 5 more sequitors reinforcing your bodies, but you will lose to option to reposition your raptors in that case, so be careful with positioning if you do that. The vexillor re-roll charges aura is also immidiately effective the moment you drop in, unlike speed of lightning.

Edited by That Guy

19 hours ago, PJetski said:

There's still a place for melee units, but Stormcast definitely have to take a mix of shooting/magic and melee. 

I think Dracoths are going to be a super important unit going forward. Fulminators being able to get 0+ save rerolling 1s against shooting is really valuable.

True, but that's if traditional shooting becomes commonplace. A lot of the ranged damage output were're seeing from armies is MW based (or debuffs comboed with melee). It'll depend heavily on how good things like Free Peoples, Bonesplitterz, and Kharadron Overlords are with their new Battletomes. 

In the meantime, look at those new Khorne Judgements, especially the Axe. You know what kills Slaughterpriests behind a wall of Reavers/Bloodletters dead? Longstrikes, Ballistas, and Judicators. 

I've also started fiddling with Ordinator + 4 Ballista + Celestial Hurricanum lists again. It's... silly.

27 minutes ago, Requizen said:

In the meantime, look at those new Khorne Judgements

Not to mention look at the Altar rules. A Khorne Priest wholly within 8” of this model can re-roll prayers and judgement rolls. The Chaos Warshrine can also be used for the re-rolls and prayers/judgements now, since you don’t necessarily need to be on top of the altar. Also look at how valuable the heraldor becomes now. Thunderblasting that altar is an option right?

Edited by That Guy

17 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Not to mention look at the Altar rules. A Khorne Priest wholly within 8” of this model can re-roll prayers and judgement rolls. The Chaos Warshrine can also be used for the re-rolls and prayers/judgements now, since you don’t necessarily need to be on top of the altar. Also look at how valuable the heraldor becomes now. Thunderblasting that altar is an option right?

Sure, but Thunderblast only extends out 3" and they get the buff within 8". Still, with so many armies getting terrain, Heraldors go up in stock quite a bit.

39 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Sure, but Thunderblast only extends out 3" and they get the buff within 8"

Wholly within and I feel that they'll put at least 1 priest on top of that thing. Project Blastem Galorious. But fair enough, if they are careful they might avoid damage on the rest of the priests. Still, it's another thing they have to keep in mind.

Edited by That Guy

5 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

If SCE get update this year(probably). I think we will also get a special terrain....😁

One great thing about playing SCE: never being outdated for long

We won't get an update, we already have an AoS 2 book with Endless Spells. We may get random unit additions, but I would be really flabbergasted to see a terrain piece or Sigmar forbid, Battletome.

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Still, with so many armies getting terrain, Heraldors go up in stock quite a bit.

I agree. I've been going light-on with magic lately, and am having a lot of fun with this double Heraldors list. Soooo many drops, but heaps of wounds too, and the double Heraldors threat really messes with the opponent's deployment...

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 154

On 2/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, ledha said:

You know, the more i play against the new battletomes, the less i think sequitors and evocators will really be nerfed that hard.

Now, everyone seems to be able to punch trough the sequitors without any real difficulty

This has been my thinking as well. There is just a large amount of MW flying around lately too. 

On 3/12/2019 at 11:23 PM, That Guy said:

Not mandatory, he will be valuable on your turn 2, in which he can lantern the evocators to a 3+ save with heals on a 7+. This will be a 3+ re-roll 1 save vs shooting. But he is indeed interchangeable if you don't feel you need the added defense. Your choice to replace him can be a good one. Do what you prefer. I also changed the list myself. Currently this is my final Fabrication: 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Man of Mystery
Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Mount Trait: Windrunner
Lord-Castellant  (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact: Soulthief
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Lore of Invigoration: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Shockbolt Bow

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
9 x Longstrike Vanguard-Raptors (540)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra CP: 2
Wounds: 107

Explanation:
Fielding the battleline units. Also fielding the incantor with the Raptors. That's 5 units fielded. Keeping the Aquilor, Castellant, Azyros and evocators in the air. The Incantor can trigger the Raptors shooting twice ability in the first turn and can protect the raptors with the spells. If you face an alpha strike list you can ward yourself with the azyrite halo and be ready to go all out with the Spirit flasks putting the battlelines in harms way in case of an extreme case. Later on the Azyrite Halo might actually be of use close towards evocators. When you have the chance you drop down the evocators in place, castellant, azyros and aquillor. Turn 3 and 4 is when you want to strike ultra hard with this list. Casting Speed of Lightning on the evocators to engage a charge, boosting the evocators with the lantern in turn 2  and trying to get the charge off, again you shoot twice with your raptors. Either your raptors are now in danger and you need to swoop in and use an extra CP to pick them up and relocate them with the aquilor. But you still get to shoot twice. Now in turn 3 is where you can start being explosive. You probably still have at least 1 extra CP and your raptors should be save now either by having them re-located or by just being defensive enough. Now you can use the Anvil Command ability twice. Once for the evocators and once for the raptors. If you had 2 CP left, you could do the same in turn 4. If not you are back to just the evocators or just the raptors. 

That Guy, I do not understand well when you said: "If you face an alpha strike list you can ward yourself with the azyrite halo and be ready to go all out with the Spirit flasks putting the battlelines in harms way in case of an extreme case"

The Incantor shall cast the spell on itself ? What about mystic Shield? What do you mean by "putting the battlelines in harm ways"?

I am sorry for these questions, my english is quite bad ..

Hello,

Do you want any opinion regarding this list for a future tournament ? Thank you

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait : Keen-clawed

Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (360)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo

Lord-Castellant (100)

UNITS

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1 x Shockbolt Bows