AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Im curious Requizen, how have you fared against the skyre lists with your Anvilstrike? 

Their Stormfiends and Thanquol missile weapons are pure murder on our battleline and they have way too many bodies to engage in pure melee. not to mention 40 plague monks.

Edit: Forgot about the jezzails, aka their longstrike raptors

Any tactical advice?

How does Anvilstrike deal with Skaven? Same way it deals with everything - Aetherwings tie them down in melee, Longstrikes double tap and obliterate any ranged threat, and Evocators sweep in for the kill.

Stormfiends and Thanquol never get within 8" to use their warpfire projectors

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

How does Anvilstrike deal with Skaven? Same way it deals with everything - Aetherwings tie them down in melee, Longstrikes double tap and obliterate any ranged threat, and Evocators sweep in for the kill.

Stormfiends and Thanquol never get within 8" to use their warpfire projectors

Their melee component is fairly strong with the monks. And Thanqul having the 5+ FNP is annoying too.

Id normally agree with you but then they also get their own longstrikes a.k.a Jezzails. Which have a save against missiles and re rolls to hits when they dont move. Im worried about not having enough shots before they either get into range with fiends or mess us up with jezzails

Edited by jhamslam

Just now, jhamslam said:

Their melee component is fairly strong with the monks. And Thanqul having the 5+ FNP is annoying too.

Id normally agree with you but then they also get their own longstrikes a.k.a Jezzails. Which have a save against missiles when they dont move. Im worried about not having enough shots before they either get into range with fiends or mess us up with jezzails

It doesn't matter how strong their melee is because they should never reach melee. Plague Monks are so slow they are basically irrelevant. It will take them 3 turns to reach you, and then the Aetherwings touch their flank and they spend the next two turns piling in against some worthless birds.

A 5+ FNP isn't enough to stop 18 shots from Longstrikes.

Jezzails are the only real threat but you can easily play around them. You have the greater threat range because of Scions and Translocation - dont start in the predictable range of their shooting, then deep strike or teleport into position to kill the Jezzails.

The first two rounds of every Anvilstrike game are about eliminating the ranged threats, because if your Longstrikes go untouched you can't lose a 5 round game.

• Like 1

Just now, PJetski said:

It doesn't matter how strong their melee is because they should never reach melee. Plague Monks are so slow they are basically irrelevant. It will take them 3 turns to reach you, and then the Aetherwings touch their flank and they spend the next two turns piling in against some worthless birds.

A 5+ FNP isn't enough to stop 18 shots from Longstrikes.

Jezzails are the only real threat but you can easily play around them. You have the greater threat range because of Scions and Translocation - dont start in the predictable range of their shooting, then deep strike or teleport into position to kill the Jezzails.

The first two rounds of every Anvilstrike game are about eliminating the ranged threats, because if your Longstrikes go untouched you can't lose a 5 round game.

Ill keep that in mind. Much appreciated, thanks!

@jhamslam I have not yet played against real Skaven filth, but I doubt it would give me much concern. The terrifying shooting is pretty short range, and they can't use Warp Fire Projectors unless you close the distance to them yourself. Even then, it's not particularly scary to most of the Anvilstrike list since we don't run giant units of anything, at most they'll hit the Skinks or Evocators for 5 MWs per Projector on average. Not terrifying imo.

Jezzails are a bit more scary, since they can do the same things we do with popping Heroes, and losing the Relictor/Heraldor/Incantor is a big deal - but they don't get double tapping and if you can shut down the Gnawholes, they're pretty hard to position. Plus, if you're super scared of Jezzails, just put the Longstrikes up in the sky and shoot them first on the drop, no big deal. 

Honestly Skaven fall apart when you kill the Heroes - popping foot Skaven Heroes is easy as pie even with Look Out Sir, though killing the big ones can be a bit slower, especially the Screaming Bell. Even then, if they go Aggro with the Heroes you just Evo them to death on the countercharge. 

Plague Monks are pretty scary, but as PJetski said, you can stop their charges, and only a couple Rats can't kill Aetherwings super efficiently. Plus, you can always just chuck Evos into them and wipe most of the unit, even if you take MWs in response it's probably worth keeping the rest of your army alive. Or running in with the Incantor to Vial a chunk of them. 

It's not an easy win, I think, especially if their Heroes don't drop early and if they get off Vortex, but I don't think it's completely terrifying for the army by any means. It's much harder for Gav Bomb or TAC Ballista style lists. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Requizen said:

Honestly Skaven fall apart when you kill the Heroes - popping foot Skaven Heroes is easy as pie even with Look Out Sir, though killing the big ones can be a bit slower, especially the Screaming Bell. Even then, if they go Aggro with the Heroes you just Evo them to death on the countercharge. 

Can I just add that most tournament minded players are now considering the Verminlord warpseer with a 4+ re-rolllable save and 5++ ward save as their general. It adds a lot of command points, can be the general in every clan specific list and is very decent caster. 

9 hours ago, Requizen said:

Jezzails are a bit more scary, since they can do the same things we do with popping Heroes, and losing the Relictor/Heraldor/Incantor is a big deal - but they don't get double tapping and if you can shut down the Gnawholes, they're pretty hard to position. Plus, if you're super scared of Jezzails, just put the Longstrikes up in the sky and shoot them first on the drop, no big deal. 

If you see 3 ratling guns with a Engineer nearby target them first! That block has 12" range, with 2d6x2 4+ 4+  -1 rend 2 damage shots per model! It does more work from personal experience than the same points invested in Jezzails.

Also the real ranged killers are warp lightning cannons with an engineer. No look out sir. potential of 12 MW. I tend to average 6/7 MW per sooting phase. (not an exact figure bij any means but that's what I count on and i'm rarely dissapointed with them)

Just some thoughts from a Skaven player.  

Edited by Kramer
fixed typo
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Can I just add that most tournament minded players are now considering the Verminlord warpseer with a 4+ re-rolllable save and 5++ ward save as their general. It adds a lot of command points, can be the general in every clan specific list and is very decent caster. 

If you see 3 ratling guns with a Engineer nearby target them first! That block has 12" range, with 2d6x2 4+ 4+  -1 rend 2 damage shots per model! It does more work from personal experience than the same points invested in Jezzails.

Also the real ranged killers are warp lightning cannons with an engineer. No look out sir. potential of 12 MW. I tend to average 6/7 MW per sooting phase. (not an exact figure bij any means but that's what I count on and i'm rarely dissapointed with them)

Just some thoughts from a Skaven player.  

Warpseer with Ethereal Amulet is a staple in most Skaven lists. It has incredible defenses, but in my experience it's still not enough to survive a double tap from Longstrikes.

Ratling guns are not an issue because theyll be dead long before they make it to 12" to shoot.

WLC are a threat, but we can play around them - they have a threat range of 27" (3" move + 24" shot) so just make sure you deploy out of that range with your key units.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Warpseer with Ethereal Amulet is a staple in most Skaven lists. It has incredible defenses, but in my experience it's still not enough to survive a double tap from Longstrikes.

You must have very hot dice to pull that off!

• Like 1

Played my first game of AOS ever this weekend! 600 point Escalation game against Ironjawz. I had a Knight-Questor, 10 libs, 1 sequitors, 1 castigators, and a ballista against some boar riders, a glot of ardboys, a megaboss and a chanter.

The ballista and sequitors were incredible! I've been reading this forum often enough to hear people talk them up, but the difference between the Seqs and Libs was immense in person.  The ballista gunned down his boar riders basically by itself while taking a 2+ save in cover- ridiculous!

I'm curious how I should escalate my list upwards, though. I'm painting Hammers and looking for an infantry heavy list, but all the talk of the Anvilstrike list has been tempting me towards the dark (paint) side. 

30 minutes ago, Imprudent_Jurist said:

Played my first game of AOS ever this weekend! 600 point Escalation game against Ironjawz. I had a Knight-Questor, 10 libs, 1 sequitors, 1 castigators, and a ballista against some boar riders, a glot of ardboys, a megaboss and a chanter.

The ballista and sequitors were incredible! I've been reading this forum often enough to hear people talk them up, but the difference between the Seqs and Libs was immense in person.  The ballista gunned down his boar riders basically by itself while taking a 2+ save in cover- ridiculous!

I'm curious how I should escalate my list upwards, though. I'm painting Hammers and looking for an infantry heavy list, but all the talk of the Anvilstrike list has been tempting me towards the dark (paint) side. 

Persoanlly i paint all over the place. My Evocators are in celestial vindicators, my artillery as Anvils, my Longstrikes are Astral Templar Colors and Sequitors and Liberators are in Hammers of Sigmar.

I like the idea of stormhosts working in conjunction in a battle and you can just clarify what rules youre using to your opponent, before the battle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jhamslam said:

Persoanlly i paint all over the place. My Evocators are in celestial vindicators, my artillery as Anvils, my Longstrikes are Astral Templar Colors and Sequitors and Liberators are in Hammers of Sigmar.

I like the idea of stormhosts working in conjunction in a battle and you can just clarify what rules youre using to your opponent, before the battle.

that's a great idea! The only question is whether or not I've got the painting chops

7 hours ago, PJetski said:

Perhaps

Now that I think about it, I usually kill them with 10x Evocators lightning arc

Even that seems like quite good rolling. If he doesn’t kill anything, (it’s not amazing nor a slouch in combat) means 20x 4+ = 10 MW -> 5+ save is 6,6 -> 5+ save is 4,4 MW through on avarage from the lightning arc. 

Which means 7,6 wounds to do from combat. Definitely possible of course but remember that 4+ re-rollable is in effect then. 

But of course doable. But just make sure to decide if it’s worht the resources. 

33 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

So i cant get him without buying the taurolon kit :( ..

really dont like how the normal gavriel looks. Does someone have or know a nice conversion?

Give him a helmet? He’s a little chunky for my tastes I must admit but he’s grown on me since owning him.

The knight errant Questor from Warhammer World is a similar model but a bit more dynamic 

53 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Gotta add a few pounds when you always drop from heavens 😂

Sureheart from the Top Rope!

Maybe he dosent drop from the Heavens per se. Maybe he’s just too fat to stay up there.

Edited by Nos
  • Haha 4

Going to try a Drake/Prime combo for a tournament this weekend...

Stardrake- Staunch, Ignax Scales 

Incantor- Azyrite Halo

Lord Castellant (and dogbird)

Celestant Prime 

5x Liberators 

5x Liberators 

5x Liberators 

20x Sequitors 

5x Evocators 

• Like 1