Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

2 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I was thinking something along these lines. Not much of a change from my old list, just refined down.

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Treesong
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (180)
Household (70)

Total: 2000/2000

Well that seems like a standard gnarlroot list but with sisters. I think the general remark I made on the list above goes here too, I think internal balance being ok this list is solid and it will remain to see if it's worth paying 250 for gnarlroot. I know people like sisters so I guess they might be a decent choice. Personally I favor the Loremaster and so I'll just suggest him to you : take out sisters and 10 dryads and add 3 hunters and a loremaster (I do think this is a slightly stronger build - but i also realize that might just be perspnal preference -since TLA and drycha are good targets for him and a unit of melee hunters backing either of them can deal with the biggest melee treat around ).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Well that seems like a standard gnarlroot list but with sisters. I think the general remark I made on the list above goes here too, I think internal balance being ok this list is solid and it will remain to see if it's worth paying 250 for gnarlroot. I know people like sisters so I guess they might be a decent choice. Personally I favor the Loremaster and so I'll just suggest him to you : take out sisters and 10 dryads and add 3 hunters and a loremaster (I do think this is a slightly stronger build - but i also realize that might just be perspnal preference -since TLA and drycha are good targets for him and a unit of melee hunters backing either of them can deal with the biggest melee treat around ).

Yeah the Loremaster is definitely something to be considered but I've always been let down by melee Kurnoths except units of 6 with Scythes.

But with 4 out of 6 of the new battleplans favouring large units for scoring, a block of 30 Dryads with Mystic Shield and Shield of Thorns is a great way to pressure those objectives.

I m playing so mutch Classic gnarloot in gh16 now I m testing something new 

TLA 300

-briarshearth 

-regrowth 

durthu 400

- general

-gnarled warrior

- moonstone of hidden ways

branchwych 80

- ranu ( maybe better acorn?)

- verdant

branchwych 80

- truesong

10 ravenant 160

5 ravenant 80

20 dryads 200

3 KH scythes 220

3 KH scythes 220

household 70

ironbreack 160

tot 1970

the idea is my free wildwood deployed offensively and durthu use moonstone ( at 3" on wildwood for buffs )

10 revenant use their movement for 9" to enemy for a possible support

20 dryads with inspiring presence to hold objectives

5 revenant to kill single models like mages or supp heroes 

shytes to kill in melee with durthu and Ta 

its a single drop! I still think sylvaneth needs it:)

What do you think?

Just got done with a 3 game Sunday tournament. I got second overall and was happy  about this list.

The list I used is as followed

General Alarielle 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryads x 20 

3x Hunters Greatbows

Dreadwood

Outcast. 

The only thing I had a problem with was what happens when the Everqueen and Dy die?

That was the hardest part.. 

I used the Everqueen as a bullet and sent her right in. Dy murdered units.. I used squirmilngs but also had dwellers on her. She mad pink mist of large units. I find her to be a must.  First turn I killed 30 bloodletters, blood secrator and a bloodthirster, With the Everqueen and Dy. I went first every game and definitely helped with the battalion.  I have another tournament this Sunday and may try to make a more survival list and see how it goes.  The Everqueen hits like a truck and heals well. Everyone will try to kill her and most likely will put every thong they have into her. 

20x dryads did pretty well also, I may run 2x 20 units and maybe 3x hunters with S for each 20 unit. 

All in all had fun.

6 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

I m playing so mutch Classic gnarloot in gh16 now I m testing something new 

TLA 300

-briarshearth 

-regrowth 

durthu 400

- general

-gnarled warrior

- moonstone of hidden ways

branchwych 80

- ranu ( maybe better acorn?)

- verdant

branchwych 80

- truesong

10 ravenant 160

5 ravenant 80

20 dryads 200

3 KH scythes 220

3 KH scythes 220

household 70

ironbreack 160

tot 1970

the idea is my free wildwood deployed offensively and durthu use moonstone ( at 3" on wildwood for buffs )

10 revenant use their movement for 9" to enemy for a possible support

20 dryads with inspiring presence to hold objectives

5 revenant to kill single models like mages or supp heroes 

shytes to kill in melee with durthu and Ta 

its a single drop! I still think sylvaneth needs it:)

What do you think?

I believe Durthu can't take Moonstone, because he's not a wizard.

8 hours ago, Deathawaits101 said:

Just got done with a 3 game Sunday tournament. I got second overall and was happy  about this list.

The list I used is as followed

General Alarielle 

Drycha 

Branchwych 

Spite Rev x 5 

Spite Rev x5 

Spite Rev x5

Spite Rev x5 

Dryads x 20 

3x Hunters Greatbows

Dreadwood

Outcast. 

Hey mate, what other lists did you come up against? Congrats on the 2nd!

Hi, i finally made the jump to try out AoS, and i am starting to collect sylvaneth. And here we play 1000 points, so i am interested to know what changes i could do to this. One unit of 20 dryads ?  The traits/artefacts are fine ? The kurnoth hunters should i change them to scythes ? Cheers and thanks in advance. 

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Warsong Stave 

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
- Greatbows

Total: 1000/1000

7 hours ago, Keldaur said:

Hi, i finally made the jump to try out AoS, and i am starting to collect sylvaneth. And here we play 1000 points, so i am interested to know what changes i could do to this. One unit of 20 dryads ?  The traits/artefacts are fine ? The kurnoth hunters should i change them to scythes ? Cheers and thanks in advance. 

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
Branchwych (80)

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
- Greatbows

Total: 1000/1000

Hi,as my personal experience game:
- 10 dryad don't do nothing, stack them as 20 unit.
- 3 KH with bow same: 4+/3+ is pretty bad i'd swich with scythe
As for rules:
I don't think you can have 2 artefacts since you are not running any battalion,

On 2017-09-06 at 3:14 AM, Mirage8112 said:

Branchwraith (80)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
- Deepwood Spell: Throne of Vines

30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
5 x Spite-Revenants (80)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (440)
- Scythes
Treelord (240)
Dreadwood Wargrove (200)
Outcasts (90)

Total: 2000/2000

Hi Frank, I've been playing with more or less the same list, except for 2x branch wraiths (bc of models I have available) and it works like a charm in most of the scenarios. Only other difference is I've gone for Gift of Ghyran + Briarsheath on the general and Acorn on the other wraith. Really fun and good list. I think it (I?) struggle somewhat with the star strike scenario though. 

1 hour ago, vesco said:

Hi,as my personal experience game:
- 10 dryad don't do nothing, stack them as 20 unit.
- 3 KH with bow same: 4+/3+ is pretty bad i'd swich with scythe
As for rules:
I don't think you can have 2 artefacts since you are not running any battalion,

Thx for the rules clarification. Yeah i should had read as i am juggling to see what my first purchases are.  Yeah 1 unit of 20 i guess would be better, the problem is since i am starting out i will need atleast one unit of 10 dryads because of miniature constraints. Is it possible to use the household with an ancient, or is that limited only with the regular one ? I guess i will remove the warsong staff rather than briarsheath. I  currently own a starter and a kurnouth box. I am still deciding how to equip those since i am not a big far of magnets.

About scythes, i am getting you use them over swords because the range. The difference on 2+, 3+, 4+ is marginal, but on 5+ and 6+ the difference is bigger for swords. Is that correct ?

Thx for the answer !

4 minutes ago, Ratatatata said:

Hi Frank, I've been playing with more or less the same list, except for 2x branch wraiths (bc of models I have available) and it works like a charm in most of the scenarios. Only other difference is I've gone for Gift of Ghyran + Briarsheath on the general and Acorn on the other wraith. Really fun and good list. I think it (I?) struggle somewhat with the star strike scenario though. 

Star strike is tricky in general. what's your strategy for handing it so far (deployment, stratagems, first/second turn ect)?

36 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Thx for the rules clarification. Yeah i should had read as i am juggling to see what my first purchases are.  Yeah 1 unit of 20 i guess would be better, the problem is since i am starting out i will need atleast one unit of 10 dryads because of miniature constraints. Is it possible to use the household with an ancient, or is that limited only with the regular one ? I guess i will remove the warsong staff rather than briarsheath. I  currently own a starter and a kurnouth box. I am still deciding how to equip those since i am not a big far of magnets.

About scythes, i am getting you use them over swords because the range. The difference on 2+, 3+, 4+ is marginal, but on 5+ and 6+ the difference is bigger for swords. Is that correct ?

Thx for the answer !

Well i like scythes more just beacuse of the -2 rend, and you are right about the difference between scythes and swords.
Don't get me wrong tho, KH with bow are great, as MY personal experience: a unit of 3 greatbow make like 2 attacks.

As for battalions just forget them until you reach 2k points
Maybe you can try to fit a Dreadwood or Gnarlroot (to me these 2 are the best) into 1500 points too but that's pretty hard.

23 hours ago, Keldaur said:

Thx for the answer !

1. Household is not with an ancient

2. Scythes are slightly better vs 2+, equal vs 3+ and progressively worse vs 4+, 5+ and 6+ (without any rerolls or ignoring rend 1 taken into account of course).

4 hours ago, Aezeal said:

1. Household is not with an ancient

2. Scythes are slightly better vs 2+, equal vs 3+ and progressively worse vs 4+, 5+ and 6+ (without any rerolls or ignoring rend 1 taken into account of course).

Are you sure? But in gh16 it was right? I played TLA in household!

I want to like Sisters of the Watch... but their point cost for 10 wounds with only a 5+ save really concerns me. Their entire warscroll seems to be at odds with itself - they get an extra attack if they don't move, but only have an average range; they get to shoot when charged... but they're so fragile and expensive they don't want to be anywhere near combat.

I'm not convinced that bow hunters are great at their current points either (that 4+ to hit...), but they just seem to offer so much more. They have solid durability, making them decent objective holders/blockers. They've got some rend. Their immense 30" range is always a psychological factor. Not to mention the fantastic mileage they can get out of stuff like cover and the Gnarlroot spell.

Hunters just seem so much more versatile and tactically useful that I can't imagine ever taking SotW over them. The sisters by contrast just seem painfully one-dimensional.

6 hours ago, Dragon10 said:

Can hunters get anything to re roll hits or +1 to hit 

the only thing i can think about is:
- Loremaster  but it's just on model -  reroll failed to hit and to wound.
- Alarielle command ability - reroll failed to wound.
- Knight-Azyros - reroll to hit = 1 in the shooting phase.

Archived