Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RuneBrush

AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

Recommended Posts

We have spoken a lot about competative lists and optimal units, also about balance and overcosted units, but what casual/fun lists or units have people been enjoying? 

I love the shreiker host and have had a few great games where its rules have really impacted the flow of battle, and recently have been using the deathriders battalion. Getting to attack in the charge phase on a 9+ has way more of an impact than I initially thought it would, especially if you take a dreadblade harrow with the balefire blade. In the last game that I took that combo it killed 13 witch aelves in one charge+combat.

Edited by Qrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Qrow I tend to run thematic lists outside of comp play practice. So stuff like death riders with Reik and KoSos. I also like running fluffy lists where I take a hodge podge mix of stuff that really isn't optimal at all, as it's a good way of getting lesser used models onto the table. But my local meta is pretty competitive so taking anything slightly fluffy normally leads to a quick game. 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I initially wanted to create a Banshee-themed list with Olynder and the Briar Queen surrounded by multiple units of Myrmourns and converted Harridans (haaaate their models), with converted Chainghasts (cmon... our only ranged units ARENT Banshees!?) and Tomb banshees toting all the Ldrship nerfs they could bring, with Hosts as the congealed masses of those theyve slain : D

(Mortis Engine banshees as Chainghasts and probably harridans with knives instead of Scything Talons)

Incorporate the Shreiker Host; let the Harridans and Ldrshp-nerfing Tomb Banshees maul enemy hordes, the Hosts backed by Olynder deal with elites, and hunt heroes with the Myrmourns and Chainghasts

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of non optimal units, I'd like to hear about experiences with chainghasts. They seem way too expensive in points, buit perhaps I am wrong. If they were 4 for 100 pts I could see them being a cool unit, although anti horde is already covered by the reapers.

Looking at them, it just seems like having less than 4 in a unit makes it too vulnerable to just get removed from the table instead of the chance of healing up some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I painted my Soulwars chainghasts but have yet to ever field them due to them seeming like a total liability points wise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I painted my Soulwars chainghasts but have yet to ever field them due to them seeming like a total liability points wise

Soulwars didn't have chainghast in it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 4:32 AM, Qrow said:

We have spoken a lot about competative lists and optimal units, also about balance and overcosted units, but what casual/fun lists or units have people been enjoying? 

One fun list im really looking forward to try is my bravery debuff list. As for Wave of Terror this list is quite a bit luck depended. It includes Lady Olyender, 2 banshees, Suffercating Gravetide, and 2 Morghast Harbingers w. Soul glaives.

Think it might work against Low bravery armies. 

If everytjing goes as planned. Banshees will pop up and scream at enemies at -3 bravery, followed up by Morghasts charges and Lady O support shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

One fun list im really looking forward to try is my bravery debuff list. As for Wave of Terror this list is quite a bit luck depended. It includes Lady Olyender, 2 banshees, Suffercating Gravetide, and 2 Morghast Harbingers w. Soul glaives.

Think it might work against Low bravery armies. 

If everytjing goes as planned. Banshees will pop up and scream at enemies at -3 bravery, followed up by Morghasts charges and Lady O support shooting.

I have tried a similar lost in the past, except I took blood knights instead of morghasts. Great deal of fun, ripped through a 40 man horde of stormvermin with both olynder and a banshee screaming mortal wounds at them.

I think my main problem with the list is that I insisted on using the shrieker host with it and had a hard time fitting in a solid frontline. That said, it did hit very hard, and with the -1 to hit from the harridans it had decent survivability... Now I really want to try it again

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like the chainghasts, but they are way overcosted. Then again, I have no idea how to cost them in a way that would make me consider them more... at the very least, 40 point per model is way to high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Chainghasts are also one of the examples of a very strange NH release plan; you can only get them within a named alternate sculpt of one specific hero boxed set.

We have discussed that the entire NH release felt cobbled together in an odd and inexplicable fashion, from soulwars having different point costs and odd-numbered minis compared to their actual squad size, to the chainghasts and dreadblades' extremely odd packaging decisions, the myrmourn's odd repetative sculpts for units of 4 to 12, myrmourns- Reikenor - glavewraiths - Dreadblades being snapfit and having sculpted bases while the rest of the line doesnt....

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Neck-Romantic well the myrmourns have been revealed as a new warband for Underworlds. They're releasing a special version (dreadfane) in between season 2 and season 3 featuring some of the SCE originally revealed at warhammer fest last year (sequitors) and the myrmourns.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

But fully agree that the whole army feels part baked. 

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 10:25 AM, Neck-Romantic said:

Agreed. Chainghasts are also one of the examples of a very strange NH release plan; you can only get them within a named alternate sculpt of one specific hero boxed set.

We have discussed that the entire NH release felt cobbled together in an odd and inexplicable fashion, from soulwars having different point costs and odd-numbered minis compared to their actual squad size, to the chainghasts and dreadblades' extremely odd packaging decisions, the myrmourn's odd repetative sculpts for units of 4 to 12, myrmourns- Reikenor - glavewraiths - Dreadblades being snapfit and having sculpted bases while the rest of the line doesnt....

You know. I kinda felt the same! 

I never understood why Dreadblades were hero's instead of units of heavy cavalry. It never really made sense.  We have a lot of Hero units...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Neck-Romantic it might be the one that is more upright and not swooping around like a plastic bag in the wind

I don't know, I compared the ones in the picture to the ones I own and they all match up pretty well. Which is sad, because I would 100% buy it just for the unique character. Wonder if it will still come with special rules though? Some special 4-man myrmourn banshee unit maybe.

 

3 hours ago, El_Commi said:

You know. I kinda felt the same! 

I never understood why Dreadblades were hero's instead of units of heavy cavalry. It never really made sense.  We have a lot of Hero units...

It is strange, it feels almost like they intended for nighthaunt to have more 2/3 model units. 2 harrows in a unit, the spirit torment and 2 chainghasts as a unit, Such a strange release. I just hope we do get a little love with the GH2019, so many models I want to use but can't justifying doing so outside of very casual games.

Edited by Qrow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qrow said:

e, it feels almost like they intended for nighthaunt to have more 2/3 model units. 2 harrows in a unit, the spirit torment and 2 chainghasts as a unit, Such a strange release. I just hope we do get a little love with the GH2019, so many models I want to use but can't justifying doing so outside of very casual games.

Yeah, I hadn't really put too much thought into it to be fair. but I just thought it was a very strange release.  Like.. making the Harrows easy to build, but letting people only ever need one box? That seems daft. 
We have Dreadblade Harrows, Reikenor, and a Knight of Shrouds on a steed... but only 1 unit of Cavalry (Hexwraiths)?  I could easily see a terrifying nighthaunt Cavalry army based of those 4 units, but not with the hero tax. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more you dig the weirder the marketing and associated quirks get.

The Briar Queen is a nice cheap wizard with our nastiest rend and a disposable obj camping unit for a bargain points cost. 

Will definitely keep my ears open for what the Myrmourn band ends up being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What colour did you people use for the flames on your models, the Guardian of Souls, for example? My Nighthaunt models are white-grey-black with a lot of dark blood on their weapons, hands and faces and the Green commonly used really interferes with the rest of my Ghosts and Vampires. Tried Purple-Blue, Yellow-Orange-Red and the Green; will probably settle on a shaded white (the whitest white in the army, though) if I don't figure out a fitting colour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

What colour did you people use for the flames on your models, the Guardian of Souls, for example?

Purple and pink depending on model.

00E3D4F3-0F1F-440C-9817-7A4C6D3F02EE.jpeg

4696C658-292A-42C1-A3AA-F24DB83B3D25.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Purple and pink depending on model.

 

Thanks a bunch! These are looking great. I'm now thinking about having blood trickle down from the wicks and doing a blue-purple-black flame - or the classic flame colors, but with the black taking up most of the space so the color doesn't interfere with the rest of my scheme so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does everyone think of the new contrast paints for Nighthaunt? As someone new to painting, I'm pretty excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the general's handbook is next month, I think we will be getting some serious love, except maybe the Grimghast reapers. 

What does everyone else think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Neffelo said:

Looks like the general's handbook is next month, I think we will be getting some serious love, except maybe the Grimghast reapers. 

What does everyone else think? 

General consensus and rumours seem to indicate an across the board point drop for most units in nighthaunt. At the very least I can't see them giving us nothing at all or nerfing us, which is better than some armies that seem to be freaking out about units getting over-nerfed.

What I am interested in is that the actual match play part is in a seperate cover. They will probably sell them as a package and it could just be for convenience, making the point part smaller and easier to carry, but I am hoping it may contain actual warscoll changes for some units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Qrow said:

General consensus and rumours seem to indicate an across the board point drop for most units in nighthaunt. At the very least I can't see them giving us nothing at all or nerfing us, which is better than some armies that seem to be freaking out about units getting over-nerfed.

What I am interested in is that the actual match play part is in a seperate cover. They will probably sell them as a package and it could just be for convenience, making the point part smaller and easier to carry, but I am hoping it may contain actual warscoll changes for some units.

Warscroll changes would be fantastic. They've seemed a bit hesitant to do that too much so far, but it would be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...