AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

4 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Maybe I just don’t get it but can anyone find any reason to include the Shyish Reaper instead of the Aethervoid Penduloum? Both cost 40pt and are somewhat similar in there way of making damage and move, but the Reaper is harder to cast and much weaker. Am I missing something here or does the Shyish Reaper need a rewrite or update or something?

The reaper can also change direction, the pendulum cannot. But it also depends a lot on the army you are facing. You need to get 7 models with an armor save of  "4+" models to be even statistically speaking. You need 10.5 models for 5+. But it can still be relevant later on since it can change direction, while the pendulum many times is a one-time thing if you don't have the magic to cast it each turn.

A big problem with predatory damage spells is the fact that you can pay for them only for your opponent to end up pointing them back at you.  That doesn't happen with the pendulum.  Further, because it can't be redirected, if you cast the pendulum in the second player turn of a battle round and end its movement less than an inch in front of an enemy unit, that unit will take 2d6 mortals, 1d6 from when you cast it, and another d6 regardless of which player gets to move it in the next battle round.

The second wave of d6 is like this:

18 hours ago, Sception said:

pendulum in the second player turn of a battle round and end its movement less than an inch in front of an enemy unit

the movment of pendulum by the oponent  is mandatory and BEFORE he does something (begining of the turn). Then, the pendulum passes just through the last unit it spoped by. hence the 2d6.

21 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

But if the enemy doesn't move it and moves its unit away...no 2d6 damage!

You cast it in the second turn of the battle round, and stop it one inch in front of a target unit for d6 mortals.

Since you went second in that battle round. A new battle round starts before your opponent has had any chance to move their unit or dispel the pendulum.

If your opponent goes first again then you get to move the pendulum, either leaving it where it is or moving it over the unit, either way dealing another d6 mortals.

But if you get the double turn, the enemy gets to move the pendulum.  For other predatory spells this could be very bad, but with the pendulum they can't change its direction to point it back at you.  They can either move it no inches, in which case it again stops within an inch of their unit, or they can move it over the unit.  Either way, that's another d6 mortals.

Edited by Sception

Personally I think the biggest downside of the reaper is having it sent back towards my own units.  That being said, it's novel in how it interacts with the enemy unit's Save value and I'm sure would be the better choice in some match ups.  But if I was choosing between the two in an unknown meta, I'd probably take the Pendulum every time.

The larger base doesn't help that much, as its mostly just longer, and has to move length-wise.

As for the Reaper, though, it's worse for the same reason most predatory spells are worse than the pendulum.  GW were leery of the new mechanic and didnt want to accidentally break the game with it so they deliberately lowballed their power relative to their points cost.  While the reaper compares poorly to the pendulum, and maybe the geminids (though I'm not so sure of that post nerf), it doesn't compare especially poorly for its price to the swords, or the skull, or the gravetide, or the jaws, or the sun.  Honestly, most predatory offensive spells are similarly lackluster.

Pendulum only escaped this because they also and underestimated just how much of a drawback the chance of your opponent sending your own spell back at you was, which meant they didn't account for how how good it is for the pendulum that they can't do that.

Even if they've since realized the issue, it would have been too late to fix it for the nighthaunt spells.  All that can be hoped is that they, along with most other predatory spells, see a significant points drop in next year's GH.

Edited by Sception

I've finally gotten around to starting to collect my Nighthaunt army. My first purchases were Reikenor, two boxes of Myrmourn Banshees, and two boxes of Grimghast Reapers.

After building the easy-to-builds first (first models I've built in about 5 years!), I've now started on the Reapers. I built one with a head and one without a head to see which I liked the look of better, but am curious about how others are building them now that they've been out for a bit.

So, are you building your Reapers with or without heads?

Cheers!

So, finally got round to updating my spreadsheet with our heroes. Here's a link to the latest version.

Some observations:

• The Cairn Wraith is by far our most points efficient hero in terms of damage output, vs both units with no save or a really high save. Lord executioner's output is disappointing by comparison.
  • The next tier consists of Kurdoss, the LE, Harrows and Reikenor. They each have pretty reasonable output, but looking at their total wound output aren't going to be soloing that much. That said, all of these outdo the Mourngul, point for point...
  • On the charge the Harrow becomes second best (to the Wraith)!
  • The ST is pretty decent given his high rend, and the GoS with maul outperforms the sword VS all but a 2+ save. Not that you really care about the GoS' damage output...
  • The Wraith is also most durable for the points, with a comparable score to Bladegheists. Olynder and Kurdoss are the frailest units, per point, in the entire book.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

please , develop...

My bad, was playing with them the other day and my opponent was moving models out of the way for the spell to move. It was the first time I'd seen it.

As soon as I posted that comment I thought I'd double check what I'd put was right and I was very wrong ?

But that being said you can use shackles to pin in non-fly units with bigger bases, as once set up they can't be moved. 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:54 AM, dmorley21 said:

I've finally gotten around to starting to collect my Nighthaunt army. My first purchases were Reikenor, two boxes of Myrmourn Banshees, and two boxes of Grimghast Reapers.

After building the easy-to-builds first (first models I've built in about 5 years!), I've now started on the Reapers. I built one with a head and one without a head to see which I liked the look of better, but am curious about how others are building them now that they've been out for a bit.

Cheers!

I thought about no skulls in the Reapers! I decided to leave mine in, though. 

Age of Sigmar is my first experience with tabletop gaming - a friend got me into it and after seeing the Nighthaunt models, I had to buy in. 

Im working on a massive conversion, currently creating a fully Japanese themed army of ghosts.

Here are some WIP shots of how it’s going so far. 

7C4F7F08-CF81-47BC-98AF-92176E89D3AF.jpeg

FAD3E471-ECA6-4B6F-AF55-9F129D686935.jpeg

5A506FA1-FF7D-42FE-9654-23E1CD890174.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AnUncommonCulture said:

I thought about no skulls in the Reapers! I decided to leave mine in, though. 

Age of Sigmar is my first experience with tabletop gaming - a friend got me into it and after seeing the Nighthaunt models, I had to buy in. 

Im working on a massive conversion, currently creating a fully Japanese themed army of ghosts.

Here are some WIP shots of how it’s going so far. 

Amazing! I think I may have to steal that idea for the future! Reminds me of MtG Kamigawa

ghost-lit%20stalker.jpg

• Like 1

Hello All! I recently move my home and in the process sold off a bunch of loose miniatures. I have about $300-400 to build an AoS army and I have been drawn to Nighthaunt. I am a fairly competitive gamer and like to be able to compete in tournaments. Still relatively new to AoS in general, so I decided, without knowing much, to start with an established list, Martin Swaffield's list. I'd really like to add a Black Coach though. If anyone is bored and has time, I'd love your insight on how Martin most likely plays the below list and how you would fine tune it (my version is at 1900).

LEADERS
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Spirit Torment (120)
Spirit Torment (120)
UNITS
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
BEHEMOTHS
Black Coach (280)

BATTALIONS 

Chainguard (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

TOTAL: 1900/2000

On 8/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, dmorley21 said:

Coincidentally, I was painting my Bladegheist Revenants tonight & had left the heads to paint & stick in last. The colour scheme is light on the outside of the cloaks/cowls but dark inside, and now I think it looks really cool without the heads. The darkness creates a void & looks really spooky. 

No idea now if I should leave them out or go with my original plan. There's always the worry that it won't look intentional & I just forgot about them. 

Edited by ladylusiphur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ladylusiphur said:

Coincidentally, I was painting my Bladegheist Revenants tonight & had left the heads to paint & stick in last. The colour scheme is light on the outside of the cloaks/cowls but dark inside, and now I think it looks really cool without the heads. The darkness creates a void & looks really spooky. 

No idea now if I should leave them out or go with my original plan. There's always the worry that it won't look intentional & I just forgot about them. 

Sounds pretty neat. Do you have any pics?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Sounds pretty neat. Do you have any pics?

It's not the best pic & early in the painting process but I think you get the general idea. I chickened out and stuck the heads on later as not all sculpts worked without them. Maybe one day! 

(You can't tell from the pic but the inside is blue, looks black on the photo) 

MVIMG_20180825_171539.jpg

Edited by ladylusiphur
  • Like 3