AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

23 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

So i would keep there hands where they are already and just chop off the scythes, and attach small chains from their wrists. On the end it can be anything, it doesnt have to be those bricks. You could recycle the ends of scythes and have them fling them around on the end of their chains!! (damn thatd look awesome).

As for there faces you can either leave them blind folded, but i would liquid greenstuff the facial features to represent the faceless iron masks they wear. (liquid greenstuff is really easy to use compared to normal greenstuff).

Do you have any tips on where to get chains?
I really like the idea of using the end of the scythes! That was a really cool idea!

Why dont you take the 4 grims from thd starter and convert them to be wielding chaing flinging maces. Get some cheap chain, super glue and tombstone bits or something

Bam, chainghasts

Edited by PFI
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Do you have any tips on where to get chains?
I really like the idea of using the end of the scythes! That was a really cool idea!

haha thanks!!! :D ebay would be a good site for it, brass chains i would use. In my town in the UK we have a bloke who sells chains at the town market for pretty cheap. Other than that try you local hardware store, they should have chains.

What youd want to do is lock each link in place, which can be done by strong super glue (i use a brand called zip) or attach strong wire as a backbone supporting the chain. It may sound like hard work but once youve done one the rest will be easy. Ive converted a megaboss to have a big flail like that using brass chain and a fanatics ball.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

7 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

haha thanks!!! :D ebay would be a good site for it, brass chains i would use. In my town in the UK we have a bloke who sells chains at the town market for pretty cheap. Other than that try you local hardware store, they should have chains.

What youd want to do is lock each link in place, which can be done by strong super glue (i use a brand called zip) or attached strong wire as a backbone supporting the chain. It may sound like hard work but once youve done one the rest will be easy. Ive convert a megaboss to have a big flail like that using brass chain and a fanatics ball.

aaah, I was hoping for a quick plastic chain solution :D Hmm, perhaps I can look over all the sprues I have.. it doesn't really have to be chains.. it could just be some sort of string, like a whip or something along those lines.

It never even crossed my mind to use an actual metal chain in order to modify the models! Will take a  look at it.
Will most likely hold off until I know what sort of extra bits you get from all the boxes that will be pre-ordered and ordered!

I already have this chain at home:
https://www.clasohlson.com/se/Dekorkedja-av-stål/31-1910

Although, I dont know if that is too big. Will have to check when I get back to my apartment tomorrow.

Edited by Nuradin

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

aaah, I was hoping for a quick plastic chain solution :D Hmm, perhaps I can look over all the sprues I have.. it doesn't really have to be chains.. it could just be some sort of string, like a whip or something along those lines.

It never even crossed my mind to use an actual metal chain in order to modify the models! Will take a  look at it.
Will most likely hold off until I know what sort of extra bits you get from all the boxes that will be pre-ordered and ordered!

i dont really know many models with chains, fanatics, wrathmongers..... er... slaughter priest with hackblade? but they would all look abit too thick around the thin arms of the ghasts. With the actual box of 10 grimghasts you get chains to attach to the tattered robes so you could use them, its just bending them around there wrists that may be a problem. 

Other than that, yeah string! but i dunno how good that would look :P  everything of mine always has some conversions, whether its greenstuff, kit bashing or just simply cutting and reattaching parts! I cant stand duplicate pose models so i try customise it, and it makes your army alittle bit more personal and unique!

I was tempted to use the lord of the rings sauron model as my knight of shrouds hahaha!! :D 

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

i dont really know many models with chains, fanatics, wrathmongers..... er... slaughter priest with hackblade? but they would all look abit too thick around the thin arms of the ghasts. With the actual box of 10 grimghasts you get chains to attach to the tattered robes so you could use them, its just bending them around there wrists that may be a problem. 

Other than that, yeah string! but i dunno how good that would look :P  everything of mine always has some conversions, whether its greenstuff, kit bashing or just simply cutting and reattaching parts! I cant stand duplicate pose models so i try customise it, and it makes your army alittle bit more personal and unique!

I was tempted to use the lord of the rings sauron model as my knight of shrouds hahaha!! :D 

I will pre-order that box. So will take a look inside and see if I can use any chains. I am not really too buggered if it doesn't look perfect. Thanks for all the tips! Invaluable for someone like me :)

I am pretty new to models, so for me it's enough to just put them together and trying to get them all painted. Nighthaunt will be my 4th army (seraphon first, then SE, then Tzeentch and now this one). None of the armies are painted yet :P oh, and I have a khorne army from the starter box.. been trying to get that sold off for ages, but no one wants it!

I will pre-order that box. So will take a look inside and see if I can use any chains. I am not really too buggered if it doesn't look perfect. Thanks for all the tips! Invaluable for someone like me :)

I am pretty new to models, so for me it's enough to just put them together and trying to get them all painted. Nighthaunt will be my 4th army (seraphon first, then SE, then Tzeentch and now this one). None of the armies are painted yet :P oh, and I have a khorne army from the starter box.. been trying to get that sold off for ages, but no one wants it!

ive been doing warhammer 12 years since i was 10 and i only have 3 armies painted!  :D adeptus mechanicus, ironjaws and 40k orkz.... i have lizardmen, daughter of khaine, empire, dark angels (30k and 40k) night haunt, tau, dark eldar, beastmen, imperial guard and necrons that all need painting!! its our hobbys curse to have shelves of grey miniatures ;)  then dont get me started on my bolt action models.... :( im tryna downsize honest hahaha... XD

If you need any more help id be happy to offer advice!

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

ive been doing warhammer 12 years since i was 10 and i only have 3 armies painted!  :D adeptus mechanicus, ironjaws and 40k orkz.... i have lizardmen, daughter of khaine, empire, dark angels (30k and 40k) night haunt, tau, dark eldar, beastmen, imperial guard and necrons that all need painting!! its our hobbys curse to have shelves of grey miniatures ;)  then dont get me started on my bolt action models.... :( im tryna downsize honest hahaha... XD

If you need any more help id be happy to offer advice!

You can almost call that your savings for retirement :P A long erm investment with about a 20-30% drop on your return.......
And yeah, I have come to realise that the thrill for me is more in owning the models than actually painting and playing them, as weird as it is :D
But Nighthaunt seems like an army that I could quite easily and quickly paint. At least for all the units but the characters that I ofcourse want to put a little more love into.
Tzeentch is down right difficult to paint for a novice like me. SE are really easy to paint, but damn boring to just paint gold all the time. And seraphon was boring as well, apart from the dinosaurs. They were really fun to paint. Now I am trying to sell off my Seraphon cause I just can't stand that all the models that I really like are in finecast or resin and I hvae therefore come to realize that I will never finish that army! ever..

• Haha 1

You can almost call that your savings for retirement :P A long erm investment with about a 20-30% drop on your return.......
And yeah, I have come to realise that the thrill for me is more in owning the models than actually painting and playing them, as weird as it is :D
But Nighthaunt seems like an army that I could quite easily and quickly paint. At least for all the units but the characters that I ofcourse want to put a little more love into.
Tzeentch is down right difficult to paint for a novice like me. SE are really easy to paint, but damn boring to just paint gold all the time. And seraphon was boring as well, apart from the dinosaurs. They were really fun to paint. Now I am trying to sell off my Seraphon cause I just can't stand that all the models that I really like are in finecast or resin and I hvae therefore come to realize that I will never finish that army! ever..

Not if my girlfriend keeps using all my money on dinner dates and spa days! ;) and they say we have expensive hobbies!!! women ;) 

Yeah i cant wait to paint the NH. Watching Peachy paint the mounted KoS was pretty good, i loved how the 3 parts medium to 1 part incubi darkness looked over the hexwraith flame! Hopefully should be able to get this army done as there's not much to it!

My go to army might be the riders battalion for +1 charge andthd +2 move and charge endless spell clock

Take pendant relic  and a couple coaches for 19" coach movement with +3 to charge and possibly runand charge

Reikenor for endless spell cast

Maybe blob up the hexwraiths to 10 man units, take kos mounted for bonus attacks on them deepstrike for 6+charge rolls 

Then a horde of chainwraiths for the backline, maybe even a big unit of hosts 

Might nothappen as it feels like the points are piling up but yeah. Guess i gotta be carrful because its easy to make nighthaunt too elite and then the melt to mass attacks like harlequins would 

4 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Maybe you could this parts from grimghast Reapers set

IMG_20180630_234841.jpg

Those are the chains i've been eyeing! Thanks for pic!

Now I just need to figurer outfit of i want to use reaper model or cairn wrath model.. Kinda depends om how the models are angling their arms!

Give me a week of so and I Will post pics on the conversion!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nevar said:

I already own 15 Hexwraiths, and mKoS... Dreadblade Harrows are icing on that cavalry cake.  I need five more Hexwraiths and a Black Coach and I know what Battalion I will be running.

Have the mKoS with a Pendant in that formation... damn they will be blazing fast.

That looks good. I think the Calvary list is going to be one of the better builds.

what about combining the deathriders with shroudguard? So something like this:

Shroudguard

lord of shrouds on horse

2x bladeghasts

Deathriders

2x dreadblade harrows

4x heaxwraiths

black coach

You will need points for extra command points. Being an alpha strike army, having command points in the first turn is important. You get two for the battalions but more would be useful.

Build is low on wizards. I think the general trait and artefact are still there to make hero’s into wizards. Maybe add the dude on the flying horse to make a three drop list?

Three artefacts with this list. Pennant of course. The mini gaming review mentioned a select your victim artefact that will be handy. And a wizard artefact.

happy play testing.

Really like the look of the Chainguard, especially with one of the relic lanterns. Apart from moving huge chainrasp hordes around the board, that is, which I don't relish the prospect of.

e; I really want to make one of my starter set grimghasts into a cairn wraith, but I'm honestly not sure how I'd go about distinguishing it from a regular grimghast. It's not like its armament would even change significantly. I could give it a scythe blade from somewhere else, and maybe the mask from the cairn wraith model?

Edited by Urauloth

49 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Really like the look of the Chainguard, especially with one of the relic lanterns. Apart from moving huge chainrasp hordes around the board, that is, which I don't relish the prospect of.

e; I really want to make one of my starter set grimghasts into a cairn wraith, but I'm honestly not sure how I'd go about distinguishing it from a regular grimghast. It's not like its armament would even change significantly. I could give it a scythe blade from somewhere else, and maybe the mask from the cairn wraith model?

I am having a hard time finding a place for a cairn wraith.. not really sure what it would give my army that other Heroes dont do better. It may be My noobishness causing me not to ser it, but I honestly cant. So instead of turning reapers into cairn wraiths, i ammthinking of turning cairn wraiths into chainghasts :D or just using the wraiths as normal reapers to fill the lines out egen needed.

As for modding, you could paint them.slightly different. A slightly different weapon ord head of course also works. Bit that model is so similar to the reapers that from a top down perspective you probably wont see much difference.

54 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I figured the vanilla Cairn Wraith would end up being a Battalion tax... surprised

Cairn Wraiths also give you a low profile hero that grants the 6++ to models around him.  His benefit is he is cheap, doesn't do anything so crazy to draw enemy ire, and still does give some boosts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wraith said:

That looks good. I think the Calvary list is going to be one of the better builds.

what about combining the deathriders with shroudguard? So something like this:

Shroudguard

lord of shrouds on horse

2x bladeghasts

Deathriders

2x dreadblade harrows

4x heaxwraiths

black coach

You will need points for extra command points. Being an alpha strike army, having command points in the first turn is important. You get two for the battalions but more would be useful.

Build is low on wizards. I think the general trait and artefact are still there to make hero’s into wizards. Maybe add the dude on the flying horse to make a three drop list?

Three artefacts with this list. Pennant of course. The mini gaming review mentioned a select your victim artefact that will be handy. And a wizard artefact.

happy play testing.

Low on wizards and i don't understand why you want to get a second battallion which doesn't fulfill a role to help the alpha strike. I am sure you would be better with the chainguard or condemned as a secondary battallion (and i am not even sure if a second battallion is wanted).

Also if you are planning to get charges off deep strike, where is the chrono ?

Edited by Keldaur