AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

43 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

I've got a question about using predatory spells to kill Pink Horrors now that I know how they're correctly used. Really, I'm just wondering what's the most effective and ideal way to use them.

Casting the spell on my first turn, whether I go first or second, is basic. On subsequent turns, I understand that if I go first then my enemy will get to move the predatory spell and will likely not hurt the pink horrors. If I go second on the second turn, I will get to control the predatory spell and attack my pink horrors but then it will be my enemy's turn before I get to use Fold Reality. If I go first and the enemy uses the predatory spell I created on the previous turn can I then unbind it with a wizard and recast it? Would that even be worth it? 

As and example: Can you not cast swords , damage the pinks and then give up a cast on another wizard to dispel the swords ? 

Also deploy in a way that means stuff you don’t want to be hit by the endless spells is well out the way !

12 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

As and example: Can you not cast swords , damage the pinks and then give up a cast on another wizard to dispel the swords ? 

Also deploy in a way that means stuff you don’t want to be hit by the endless spells is well out the way !

Perhaps that is a better plan. 

I'm not sure how practical it is to keep my pinks/endless spells away from other units. Partly because Arcane Sacrifice on the Gaunt Summoner requires him to be within 3" of the pink horrors, but even in the cases where I do not take that command trait I still think it'd be rather difficult. The swords move 8" and have a range of 6" so they've got a pretty good reach.

Good advice, though.

On second thought, if I make it so the Gaunt Summoner is on one flank of the Pink Horrors and I move the swords so that it is 6" away from the pinks on the opposite side, as long as the unit is more than 6" long, the swords won't be able to make it the gaunt summoner. They might be able to reach my acolytes, but that would just be a minor annoyance. I'll have to practice. 

Edited by Kharneth

13 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

You right. Brain f a r t. Just in general I wouldn’t rely too much on mortal wound output at range from skyfires now that they don’t work on 5 and 6 even if you give them +1 to hit (from the shaman for example). And -1 rend d3 damage, while good, is something the tree people are generally good at avoiding with their high base armor save for the most part.

Alright now that I've had some sleep and thinking about how to best hurt those blasted Kurnoth Hunters hiding in trees, how would you think a Warpflame Host would perform? Something along the lines of:

Herald of Tzeench of Burning Chariot (General)

Herald of Tzeench on Disc

Lord of Change

Battleline: 
Burning Chariot x1

Burning Chariot x1

Burning Chariot x1

Other:
Exalted Flamer x1

Exalted Flamer x1

Flamers of Tzeench x3

Flamers of Tzeench x6

Warpflame Host

1980 points so there is a decent chance I'll get a triumph reroll. Maybe against other armies I'd spend the last 20 on Soulsnare Shackles but since Sylvaneth don't really need to move, just teleport from trees to trees, the reroll might be more useful here.

Everything flies, so shooting and magic nukes aren't blocked by trees, chariots can cause mortals when they move, and I figure from the mass shooting of the Flamers, 1 or 2 wounds are bound to get through, and with luck, Capricious Warpflame will deal another D3 mortals as well.

I guess now my question about the Warpflame Host special ability, if an enemy unit is within 9" of multiple units from the battalion, can I roll 1 die for each of my units within the range or do I only roll 1 die regardless the number of units?

1 hour ago, Kharneth said:

Perhaps that is a better plan. 

I'm not sure how practical it is to keep my pinks/endless spells away from other units. Partly because Arcane Sacrifice on the Gaunt Summoner requires him to be within 3" of the pink horrors, but even in the cases where I do not take that command trait I still think it'd be rather difficult. The swords move 8" and have a range of 6" so they've got a pretty good reach.

Good advice, though.

On second thought, if I make it so the Gaunt Summoner is on one flank of the Pink Horrors and I move the swords so that it is 6" away from the pinks on the opposite side, as long as the unit is more than 6" long, the swords won't be able to make it the gaunt summoner. They might be able to reach my acolytes, but that would just be a minor annoyance. I'll have to practice. 

You can only dispel endless spell at the start of a turn so @CountryMou3e's plan wont work so much. 

Either way this is probably why I prefer pendulum and burning head. As pendulum can be set up so it wont come back, and burning head doesnt hurt that much or spike as high as swords. 

Anyway it's an average 4 mortals that could spike alot more for sure. That said if it's the case that you dont control your spell than you are going first, so it isnt all that bad. 

As you say with quick silver swords it isnt too hard to set it up so that the swords are to far to come back and hit you. Also, you get a whole movement phase to widen that gap should you need. 

@mmimzie good observations. The Pendulum and Burning Head are better if there's more than one unit, but the swords are cheaper and better against a single unit. Because of that I'm sort of stuck with it in 1,000 points. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, Chronomantic Cogs is 60 points that gives me 2 fate points each turn, perhaps spending 40 points on the Pendulum or Head would be a more valuable purchase. I almost always spend fate points on blue horrors anyway. 

Frankly, the danger of the swords striking my own units is not what bothers me the most. It's that I'd lose out on the ability to kill pinks and therefore summon blues on that turn that's bothersome. I'll just have to deal since I've been using them better than they're actually intended to be. 

I'll have to be sure that the swords aren't 12" away from my characters by the end of my movement phase prior to the any turn I gain initiative, but you're right that that's doable. 

4 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

@mmimzie good observations. The Pendulum and Burning Head are better if there's more than one unit, but the swords are cheaper and better against a single unit. Because of that I'm sort of stuck with it in 1,000 points. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, Chronomantic Cogs is 60 points that gives me 2 fate points each turn, perhaps spending 40 points on the Pendulum or Head would be a more valuable purchase. I almost always spend fate points on blue horrors anyway. 

Frankly, the danger of the swords striking my own units is not what bothers me the most. It's that I'd lose out on the ability to kill pinks and therefore summon blues on that turn that's bothersome. I'll just have to deal since I've been using them better than they're actually intended to be. 

I'll have to be sure that the swords aren't 12" away from my characters by the end of my movement phase prior to the any turn I gain initiative, but you're right that that's doable. 

I don't like the LoC with mark of conjuration any longer, and even more so don't like spending pots on the cogs. 

The swords are fine. and there are ways to be cheaky and get the out of range for them to hit anything but your pinks again, general my pinks stay the most behind my army if they are just there to kill themselves and fold themselves. You can always un summon and re summon your swords should  you feel the need to. 

Edited by mmimzie

2 minutes ago, Pandamina said:

Can you guys explain me, please, how Geminids of Uhl-Gysh work right now? I've been told that they can inflict wounds, but not debuffs on the same unit, but in the errata i saw "A unit is not affected", so does it mean no double wounds?

you only get mortal wounds from 1 or the other on any given unit just as the buff. 

SO no double wounds. 

• Thanks 1

So, is Geminids of Uhl-Gysh spell considered to be weak? I guess it's still viable, as it's long range and you can hit two (or even more on 48*48 board) units with it and cripple their melee or ranged potential. Or maybe two units of pinks if you need.
I will be trying this list next weekend. What do you think about it as an all-rounder? I try to keep my drops as low as possible, so there are two endless spells here.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Tzeentch 
Mortal Realm: Ghur 

Leaders 
Lord Of Change (380) 
- Artefact: Wellspring of Arcane Might
- Lore of Change: Fold Reality 
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180) 
- General 
- Trait: Arcane Sacrifice 
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm 

Battleline 
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (200) 
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch 
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80) 

Endless Spells 
Aethervoid Pendulum (40) 
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40) 

Total: 1000 / 1000 
Extra Command Points: 0 
Allies: 0 / 200 
Wounds: 49

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I don't like the LoC with mark of conjuration any longer, and even more so don't like spending pots on the cogs. 

The swords are fine. and there are ways to be cheaky and get the out of range for them to hit anything but your pinks again, general my pinks stay the most behind my army if they are just there to kill themselves and fold themselves. You can always un summon and re summon your swords should  you feel the need to. 

My pink strategy has varied a lot based on the enemy. They're always in the center and usually the last line protecting my gaunt and LoC, but I try to put them in positions where they're a good target but where they aren't likely to be killed off. I started by using Bolt or Mutation with them and in a game I rolled 0 DD results of 1 and in another I only had a single 1. So I realized that Fold Reality is kinda necessary for these unfortunate situations. With Fold Reality, however, I was less reliant on DD and when you suggested giving the Gaunt Bolt instead of Glimpse I found that was useful. 

Now, noticing that cogs isn't worth the points and without cogs Mark of the Conjurer is even worse (it might not've ever been worth it). So, if I replace cogs and take the pendulum I can effectively summon blues more effectively. With that in mind, I made a new list. I was 20 points too much for having 2 units of pinks. I can't find many better 80pt options if I removed the 3rd battleline unit, so I filled 20 points with shackles.

180 - Gaunt Summoner - Arcane Sacrifice, Glimpse the Future

380 - Lord of Change - Gryph-Feather Charm, Bolt of Tzeentch

200 - 10 Pink Horrors - Fold Reality

80 - 10 Kairic Acolytes

80 - 10 Kairic Acolytes

20 - Quicksilver Swords

20 - Soulsnare Shackles

40 - Aethervoid Pendulum

Swords (4), Pendulum (3.5), and Arcane Sacrifice (2) means that the Pink Horrors will suffer an average of 9.5 mortal wounds, which means they'll be required to use Fold Reality in order to survive their own hero phase. The reason I'm taking Glimpse the Future back is because my ability to kill Horrors is now greater than my ability to regain them, I'll need every DD of 1 I can get. @mmimzie do you think this is too extreme/excessive? 

@Pandamina Those are the units I've been having success with. Without being able to fit a second unit of Pinks, paying 20 points for Swords to do avg 4 is pretty efficient. Pendulum and Geminids have the advantage of never wiffing and resulting in 0 mortal wounds, but they're more expensive. 

Also, random question. Is there a reason that Glimpse the Future specifically says that it can only be attempted by a single Wizard per hero phase? Isn't this already a universal rule - that a spell can only be attempted once? 

Edited by Kharneth

7 hours ago, Kharneth said:

My pink strategy has varied a lot based on the enemy. They're always in the center and usually the last line protecting my gaunt and LoC, but I try to put them in positions where they're a good target but where they aren't likely to be killed off. I started by using Bolt or Mutation with them and in a game I rolled 0 DD results of 1 and in another I only had a single 1. So I realized that Fold Reality is kinda necessary for these unfortunate situations. With Fold Reality, however, I was less reliant on DD and when you suggested giving the Gaunt Bolt instead of Glimpse I found that was useful. 

Now, noticing that cogs isn't worth the points and without cogs Mark of the Conjurer is even worse (it might not've ever been worth it). So, if I replace cogs and take the pendulum I can effectively summon blues more effectively. With that in mind, I made a new list. I was 20 points too much for having 2 units of pinks. I can't find many better 80pt options if I removed the 3rd battleline unit, so I filled 20 points with shackles.

180 - Gaunt Summoner - Arcane Sacrifice, Glimpse the Future

380 - Lord of Change - Gryph-Feather Charm, Bolt of Tzeentch

200 - 10 Pink Horrors - Fold Reality

80 - 10 Kairic Acolytes

80 - 10 Kairic Acolytes

20 - Quicksilver Swords

20 - Soulsnare Shackles

40 - Aethervoid Pendulum

Swords (4), Pendulum (3.5), and Arcane Sacrifice (2) means that the Pink Horrors will suffer an average of 9.5 mortal wounds, which means they'll be required to use Fold Reality in order to survive their own hero phase. The reason I'm taking Glimpse the Future back is because my ability to kill Horrors is now greater than my ability to regain them, I'll need every DD of 1 I can get. @mmimzie do you think this is too extreme/excessive? 

@Pandamina Those are the units I've been having success with. Without being able to fit a second unit of Pinks, paying 20 points for Swords to do avg 4 is pretty efficient. Pendulum and Geminids have the advantage of never wiffing and resulting in 0 mortal wounds, but they're more expensive. 

Also, random question. Is there a reason that Glimpse the Future specifically says that it can only be attempted by a single Wizard per hero phase? Isn't this already a universal rule - that a spell can only be attempted once? 

The spell is from before that was a rule.

Hello there

Im alittel new to the Tzeentch front but recently i got myself the FW Lord of change and wondering how good it plays on the table? 

I have tried making a list for 2k army and from reading this post i have got som inspiration for what to take and what to avoid. Would really much like some feedback if the list is close to competetive, what traiths and artifackts would work best or have i missed the mark totally ? Cheers

The idear is that Exalted daemon use his command traith every turn and casting his 9 dice mortal wounds 2+ magic and hoping that the Scribes will also use it on a 4+. Gaunt for Horde and the Skyfires for sniping and Kairic for screen and obj sec.

Leaders

Exalted Greater Daemon of Tzeentch (500)

- General - Command Trait : Magical Supremacy - Artefact : Pyrofyre Stave

Tzaangor Shaman (180)

The Blue Scribes (140)

UNITS

6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (400)

30 x Kairic Acolytes (240) - 30 x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield

20 x Kairic Acolytes (160) - 20 x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield

20 x Kairic Acolytes (160) - 20 x Cursed Blade & Arcanite Shield

ENDLESS SPELLS Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Hello
I'm almost in the same situation than Mr Smiley

Leaders
Lord Of Change (380)
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (160)
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Unchecked Mutation

Units
9 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (420)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1820 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

This is "my base" i've 180 pts left ans i'm hesitating between Tzeentch herald or blue scribes (or a better idea maybe ?). Same thing between LoC (probably with mark of the conjurer) or Kairos (which is strong with the9 enlightened)
I would like some advices about Endless spells, i just threw some ideas there.

Good evening !

14 hours ago, Grotruk said:
Hello
I'm almost in the same situation than Mr Smiley

Leaders
Lord Of Change (380)
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General

Battleline

Units

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1820 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

This is "my base" i've 180 pts left ans i'm hesitating between Tzeentch herald or blue scribes (or a better idea maybe ?). Same thing between LoC (probably with mark of the conjurer) or Kairos (which is strong with the9 enlightened)
I would like some advices about Endless spells, i just threw some ideas there.

Good evening !

only take cogs if you are gonna pick up the mark of conjuration, that said i think feather charm LoC is where it's at for the +1" move and -1 to hit.

Balewind +arcane sacrafice is alright, but i prefer the portal.  I like the portal because it's more flexible and gives your the heros the option to stay way back while they cast. While balewind + arcane lets you cast potentialy cast 2 spells with the gaunt summoners. The reason i prefer the portal is it's basicly +18" range on 1 spell. Which means you can really set up deep, while still threatening characters and big units alike with both the LoC and the Gaunt summoner. While the bale wind only lets you threaten horde units with the gaunt summoner, and is only a +6" (or a + 9" with sacrafice). 

That said you are just running 1 pink unit and quick silver + sacrafice is a great combo for getting pinks out quickly. 

I prefer fold reality on the pink horrors?? i like making that spell more reliable, but just a reference thing.

i'd be careful on too many more support units, and maybe focus on more key units like maybe more pinks?? or an ogroid that can help you take more table space. 

Oh consider swaping the shaman for a chaos sorc lord, he's a stronger wizard. that said the shaman is a fast moving summoner.  Kairos has a spell that while okay, has too high a casting value with no way of him buffing his own casting values outside of fate pts. The setting dice thing is  either jsutb etter than a +1 to cast to just worse. 

more acolytes wouldn't be bad as they are anoying buddies, blues/pinks wouldn't be bad as well.

Edited by mmimzie

8 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Balewind +arcane sacrafice is alright, but i prefer the portal

Why not both ? 😜

I'm thinking about this:

Leaders
Lord Of Change (380)
- Artefact: Mark of the Conjurer
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General

Battleline
- Lore of Change: Treason of Tzeentch

Units

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Or something like that
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord Of Change (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
Ogroid Thaumaturge (180)
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum

Battleline

Units

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Ty for the answer  and merry christmas !

26 minutes ago, Grotruk said:

Why not both ? 😜

because you are spending 100pts on two things that have a CHANCE to be useful IF you go first and if no they are useless. Also to get both out you are wasting some important cast attempts on important models. 

Either way i like the 2nd list more, i'd still also give fold reality to the pink horrors and drop the shaman for a  sorcorer lord. His buff is  twice the power of the shaman's aura when you are attacking first with your enlightend. Which you'll want to be doing despite there amazing attacking 2nd buff.  It will let you be more offensive. The shaman is better when you get charged and counter attack as that actualy stacks, but killing more when you pick who fights who (IE your turn) is almost infinitly better than killing more when your opponent picks who you are fighting, even more so when your opponent has the option to either wipe your squad so you get no counter attacks or they can decide to just play keep away. 

The real loss between sorc and shaman is the loss in speed. As the shaman make a great long range summoner.

either way i'd put fold on the pinks. The pinks have +2 to cast when in the aura buff of your LOC and fold is the more powerful/useful spell over something like unchecked mutation. You lose out on the turn one opertunity to cast unchecked aggressively, but i value fold reality higher. 

if you down grade the shaman, drop the shackles and the vortex you could grab a unit of kairic acolytes. Or you could drop the portal and shackles for the kairic acolytes. I like 4 screen units, makes you near immune to double turns. 

That said you list is likely fine as is i'm more just nit picking. Happy Holidays

Edited by mmimzie

3 hours ago, Grotruk said:
Thanks again for advices.
Just a question: is it not possible to use the Tzaangor shaman spell in order to create screens ?

Happy holydays ;)

You can only add models to existing units, not create new ones.

Additionally, I’d add a caveat that even if you could add a new unit of ~2 tzaangors, it’d be pretty tough to turn that into a useful screen.

Hey fellow mad wizard/mutants! Question! What are some of Tzeench's dirtiest tricks/combos? We're planning a game soon where everybody is bringing their dirtiest, cheesiest, beardiest armies to see who gets to be the king of cheese and I want to bring my A-Game! I'll be making a fancy meat and cheese platter for the winner on new years ;)

Edited by Reezark_SP

14 minutes ago, Reezark_SP said:

Hey fellow mad wizard/mutants! Question! What are some of Tzeench's dirtiest tricks/combos? We're planning a game soon where everybody is bringing their dirtiest, cheesiest, beardiest armies to see who gets to be the king of cheese and I want to bring my A-Game! I'll be making a fancy meat and cheese platter for the winner on new years ;)

27 enlightened 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Reezark_SP said:

I'd probably take:

Kairos Fateweaver, Lord of Change, Gaunt Summoner, 9 Tzaangor Enlightened, 3x10 Pink Horrors, Aethervoid Pendulum, Burning Head, and whatever else I could fit. 

18 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

I'd probably take:

Kairos Fateweaver, Lord of Change, Gaunt Summoner, 9 Tzaangor Enlightened, 3x10 Pink Horrors, Aethervoid Pendulum, Burning Head, and whatever else I could fit. 

What would Kairos do for this list? My understanding is that Kairos is okay at best.

17 hours ago, Reezark_SP said:

What would Kairos do for this list? My understanding is that Kairos is okay at best.

What newsun said, basically.

The main thing he does is prevent Fold Reality from failing once per game, which should usually be enough to prevent it from failing at all but occasionally it will fail a second time, but it should be late enough in the game at this point that Fold Reality has done wonders. Replacing the 1 that destroys the unit is very helpful, but getting to turn it into a 6 means the unit is likely going to reach max again.

He also can cast/unbind two spells very reliably and his Gift of Change spell can be used to place Chaos Spawns in disruptive positions. He's a large, monstrous threat as well. He might not be a powerful monster in combat, but he's still a monster and and has 7 attacks with a -1 and 2 damage. 

Combine him with the Lord of Change and you can jump down and tear something up. The Lord of Change has the best spell I know of, with a common average of 6 mortal wounds at the peak of his strength. Plus the utility of providing +1 to cast for all daemon wizards and being a very reliable cast himself.

I don't think spamming Tzaangor Enlightened is the way to go, but maybe that is powerful. It's certainly challenging to defend more than 9, so I'd stick with the 9 and make sure to use them to your advantage by targeting the right enemy units and not being shy about casualties. 

The Gaunt Summoner mostly because 1) he can use the LoC's buff, and 2) the chances of having an enemy unit with at least 10 models for him to target is too likely. 

Pink Horrors for a battleline that never rests.

Hi Guys,

Could i have some feedback from this list please? I'm a bit of a noob at the moment. 

I'm battling my friend quite a bit with him as Nurgle (Demons mostly) and hoping this would be enough to give me a good chance of winning.

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner (180)

Herald of Tzeentch (140)

Tzaangor Shaman(180)
Lord Of Change (380)
The Changeling (200)

Battleline
20 x Tzaangors (180)

Units
3 x Tzaangor Skyfires (200)

6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on discs (280)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400

Any suggestions on spells/artifacts to take would be cool too. Thanks for looking.