AoS 2 - Flesh-eater Courts Discussion

RuneBrush

Ordinarily I agree, Mounted King is way better, however the comparison here is what can you get whilst sticking to the one drop. 

I definitely feel it's worth exploring, maybe try a few games with both variants and see how you get on?

I haven't played my FEC yet this edition as I'm still exploring Soulblight, however if I was I would probably do double dragon with a battle Regiment plus command Entourage, to access the second mount trait and settle at 4 drops.

I would probably take Blisterskin myself if I were to run it now, though that's still my preference and not saying it's better. Feast day is nice but extra 2" move is even better now with the smaller boards. Also Feeding Frenzy can be shut down now with roar which really hurts FEC.

53 minutes ago, KibaWildFang said:

I could, yeah. But it doesn’t pack nearly as much punch as a mounted rider does. It would have no regeneration, not even Heroic Recovery, and it would have a 5+ save and no innate Deathless Courtiers ward. Not to mention no Maw rerolls. And it can’t Frenzy itself if it really needs it.

On the other hand, it brings more to the table than 3 flayers and Corpsemare probably would. More consistent damage than Corpsemare, and 6s on the bite are still 6s. Not to mention a better scream. Its also pretty big and can deny more ground.

Its something to think about though. Not sure, what’s your opinion?

I personally don't think a standard TG is that great. It's too swingy and you have to have something baby sit/buff it up otherwise it can drop really fast and that's easy VP for your opponent. The buffs you want to put on a standard TG will take you so much further on a GKonTG so you'd be wasting those buffs. However, it might play a good distraction role that our opponent will need to address. I would wait to make any list changes until you've tried he 2x6 flayer list 4-5 times on the table against different armies to see how it does and go from there.

You might try Hollowmorne with your flayer list, too. You lose the +1 to cast and your GKonTG is less tanky but you can buff up that Vargulf and run a smashbat list effectively giving you 4 potential threats for your opponent to deal with.

52 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

Ordinarily I agree, Mounted King is way better, however the comparison here is what can you get whilst sticking to the one drop. 

I definitely feel it's worth exploring, maybe try a few games with both variants and see how you get on?

I haven't played my FEC yet this edition as I'm still exploring Soulblight, however if I was I would probably do double dragon with a battle Regiment plus command Entourage, to access the second mount trait and settle at 4 drops.

I would probably take Blisterskin myself if I were to run it now, though that's still my preference and not saying it's better. Feast day is nice but extra 2" move is even better now with the smaller boards. Also Feeding Frenzy can be shut down now with roar which really hurts FEC.

Roar on Frenzy does suck, this is true, but conserving a CP on both turns of a battle round, I have found to be immensely strong because it leaves plenty of room for AoA/AoD and Unleash Hell. I’ve found Feast Day/Wizardry to be immensely fun, even though I’m looking at cutting the robe on the regent for the amulet on the GKoTG.

46 minutes ago, Predien said:

I personally don't think a standard TG is that great. It's too swingy and you have to have something baby sit/buff it up otherwise it can drop really fast and that's easy VP for your opponent. The buffs you want to put on a standard TG will take you so much further on a GKonTG so you'd be wasting those buffs. However, it might play a good distraction role that our opponent will need to address. I would wait to make any list changes until you've tried he 2x6 flayer list 4-5 times on the table against different armies to see how it does and go from there.

You might try Hollowmorne with your flayer list, too. You lose the +1 to cast and your GKonTG is less tanky but you can buff up that Vargulf and run a smashbat list effectively giving you 4 potential threats for your opponent to deal with.

You know, this is something I’ve wanted to test. Hollowmourne is how I first even learned about FEC while lore digging, so they hold a special place in my heart. Though it would be weird to run them with no Horrors. That said, yes losing the +1 to cast on the Regent does suck, but its losing the Feast Day that really hurts, imo. However, I already adore how Varghulfs tear across the table, I would not be against buffing one up with traits and a relic. The CA is nice on paper, but it has a chance of wasting CP if you don’t make the charge. Food for thought, though.

• Like 1

On that Hollowmourne note, it gave me an idea, just a concept.

Archregent (Deranged Transformation)

GKoTG (Gruesome Bite, Spectral Host)

Varghulf (Graverobber, Corpsefane Gauntlet)

3 Horrors

10 ghouls

10 ghouls

6 flayers

6 flayers

Throne

Corpsemare

Now, normally I wouldn’t take Horrors on their own, but they’re battleline in Hollowmourne, and they can just be a direct upgrade to one squad of ghouls that was going to guard the regent anyway. My only real worry is without the +1 to cast, I’m not sure how reliable Corpsemare is going to be.

Hey I want to get into FEC and want to learn the army. Is there a list out there that someone can give me that helps me learn the force? I kinda like the GK on terrorgheist and lots of flayers I've seen. I like going to tournaments so I want to learn them to play there

• LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, Bozly said:

Hey I want to get into FEC and want to learn the army. Is there a list out there that someone can give me that helps me learn the force? I kinda like the GK on terrorgheist and lots of flayers I've seen. I like going to tournaments so I want to learn them to play there

At least one King on Terrorgheist with the Gruesome Bite mount trait, at least one Abhorrant Archregent, and some flayers are usually mandatory (some mileage may vary depending on lists). Some opt to take a Varghulf courtier. I’d highly recommend it. For summons, from what I hear 20 ghouls off the Archregent and 3 Flayers from the Gheist King are usually go to. I like minimum squads of ghouls, especially now in 3.0. The Start Collecting and Mortvane’s Hellcourt are two boxes that can really jump start you, all you’d need are summons and maybe a Varghulf.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KibaWildFang said:

The Start Collecting and Mortvane’s Hellcourt are two boxes that can really jump start you, all you’d need are summons and maybe a Varghulf.

This is exactly what makes them simple to get into at any level of experience, sure its not a lot of variety, but you get most of the range and that's exactly why I love it ( poor variety compared to other armies) 

However many start collecting boxes you require they shall all serve you well, Maybe just one or two max for the Mortvane box because 3 or more Archregants wont really see much play starting into them. 

If you don't want the resin Varghulf, its not terrible with converting bits from the flayer/horror and terrorgeist's bits from the start collecting box in a pinch, but its a start to making it look better for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEC are my 2nd army. I finally got around to tweaking a list for 3rd edition. After playing a few games in the new edition, I think I have a decent feel for it. The good news is that I think we are a lot better off than I initially thought. This is what I was considering:

Abhorrent Archregent 245 (hellish orator, eye of Hysh, Spectral Host)
Abhorrent Ghoul King on terrorghiest 445 (Gruesome Bite, Blood feast)
Crypt Infernal Courtier 130
6 Crypt Flayer 360
6 Crypt Flayer 360
6 Crypt Flayer 360
10 Crypt Ghouls 95

Total: 1995

Terrain: Charnel Throne
Faction: Blisterskin
Battalions: battle regiment

From my initial games in this edition, I have realized how important early objective grabs are. This list is all one drop, so it helps ensure that you go first if you want to. It is blistering fast, and has teleporting capabilities. This ensures that your troops and heroes can be in position to claim objectives and battle tactics. I will probably always free summon a Varghulf and normaly summon 3 more flayers, gining me 5 battleline, 4 heroes. The one thing I kind of regret is having only one monster. I could drop 2 of the flayer squads down to 3, and get another non mounted terrorghiest. I might do that honestly, but for now I think I will run with this.

It amazes me how much the army has pivoted from an overwhelming assault army into a finesse tactical one. But I think if we focus heavily on objectives and tactics, we can do well in this edition.

Edited by bonzai

What do you guys like better? Its going to be on a Infernal Courtier. Frenzied Flesh eater (re-roll hits/wounds if enemy took damage while within 3") And then either; Carrion Wand (Arcane bolt, charge and deal MW's on the charge) or Bilious Decanter. The idea is to get a wound and then double attack, this is for smaller pointed games 600-1k.

Or Make it a wizard equal to a Ghoul king and have Cogs on the table to get +atks and Flaming sword for +1D as well as Bilious Decanter.

I want a more friendly list for Path to Glory while building up my General as a Big bad Bat. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, bonzai said:

FEC are my 2nd army. I finally got around to tweaking a list for 3rd edition. After playing a few games in the new edition, I think I have a decent feel for it. The good news is that I think we are a lot better off than I initially thought. This is what I was considering:

Abhorrent Archregent 245 (hellish orator, eye of Hysh, Spectral Host)
Abhorrent Ghoul King on terrorghiest 445 (Gruesome Bite, Blood feast)
Crypt Infernal Courtier 130
6 Crypt Flayer 360
6 Crypt Flayer 360
6 Crypt Flayer 360
10 Crypt Ghouls 95

Total: 1995

Terrain: Charnel Throne
Faction: Blisterskin
Battalions: battle regiment

From my initial games in this edition, I have realized how important early objective grabs are. This list is all one drop, so it helps ensure that you go first if you want to. It is blistering fast, and has teleporting capabilities. This ensures that your troops and heroes can be in position to claim objectives and battle tactics. I will probably always free summon a Varghulf and normaly summon 3 more flayers, gining me 5 battleline, 4 heroes. The one thing I kind of regret is having only one monster. I could drop 2 of the flayer squads down to 3, and get another non mounted terrorghiest. I might do that honestly, but for now I think I will run with this.

It amazes me how much the army has pivoted from an overwhelming assault army into a finesse tactical one. But I think if we focus heavily on objectives and tactics, we can do well in this edition.

Whoa what a list. That’s nice looking. I feel you could also go Feast Day and make the Infernal the General to go Dark Acolyte and do just as good! I, myself, want a Varghulf in the list but this looks really solid. Maybe put Deranged Transformation on a Dark Acolyte Infernal General?

Also I agree. Its feels weird for an army of crazy cannibals to go from rampaging assault weapon to tactical scalpel, but I’m here for it

Edited by KibaWildFang
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, plavski said:

Had a game last night with the new ward rules. AGKoTG with a mystic shield/aod, amulet of destiny, unholy vitality is quite a thing.

3+, 5++, 5+++, heroic recovery on bravery 10, heal D3 on your hero phase. Yeah, it's kinda obnoxious.

Let's not get used to that. One of the AoS rules writers stated on twitter they'll be discussing this internally next week, I highly doubt returning the multiple after-saves was intentional. I've also seen multiple TO's stating they will still rule that you're only allowed one after-save roll, no matter what. 

Edited by Kiekeboe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiekeboe said:

Let's not get used to that. One of the AoS rules writers stated on twitter they'll be discussing this internally next week, I highly doubt returning the multiple after-saves was intentional. I've also seen multiple TO's stating they will still rule that you're only allowed one after-save roll, no matter what. 

Honestly, i hope ALL negate wounds goes to wards, IDK why this isn't already the case. Sure it helps us but it also helps other armies become almost unkillable with 4+++'s on top of another save, and it makes some spells, unit abilities, etc.. that ignores Wards almost pointless.

Edited by Maddpainting

22 hours ago, Kiekeboe said:

One of the AoS rules writers stated on twitter they'll be discussing

With all the other brilliant rule ideas with the stringent and clear interactions (unleash hell & redeploy with 16.3 core rule)…

homeoffice does not seem to be working out so hot for them. Maybe they should pay less for IP lawyers and get more traction in the design and awesomeness section 🧐

I'm playing a small friendly tournament on saturday with my beloved FEC. I'll be playing this list. I'm not sure about the viability but it seem alot of fun. 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts (Feast Day Delusion) 
Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (245)*
- General
- Command Trait: Dark Wizardy
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (445)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
Abhorrant Ghoul King (165)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Crypt Ghast Courtier (70)**

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (190)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Crypt Ghouls (190)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Crypt Ghouls (95)**

Units
1 x Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone (80)**

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Mount Trait

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105
Drops: 10

1 hour ago, Dejnar said:

I'm playing a small friendly tournament on saturday with my beloved FEC. I'll be playing this list. I'm not sure about the viability but it seem alot of fun. 

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts (Feast Day Delusion) 
Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Abhorrant Archregent (245)*
- General
- Command Trait: Dark Wizardy
- Artefact: The Dermal Robe
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
- Mount Trait: Razor-clawed
- Lore of Madness: Monstrous Vigour
Abhorrant Ghoul King (165)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline
20 x Crypt Ghouls (190)*
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Crypt Ghouls (190)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Crypt Ghouls (95)**

Units
1 x Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone (80)**

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Mount Trait

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105
Drops: 10

The Terrorgheists will do work for sure. You may lose ghouls faster than the Crypt Ghasts can return but that depends on your opponent I think. The main problem could be that once one or both Terrorgheists go down you've lost all killing power. Some flayers could really help here I think.

And the Corpse Cart was updated in the Soulblight book, it now only buffs Soulblight Wizards. Shame really, I had a nicely converted Corpse Cart (and Mortis Engine, same deal :( ) which is entirely useless to me now...

57 minutes ago, Kiekeboe said:

The Terrorgheists will do work for sure. You may lose ghouls faster than the Crypt Ghasts can return but that depends on your opponent I think. The main problem could be that once one or both Terrorgheists go down you've lost all killing power. Some flayers could really help here I think.

And the Corpse Cart was updated in the Soulblight book, it now only buffs Soulblight Wizards. Shame really, I had a nicely converted Corpse Cart (and Mortis Engine, same deal :( ) which is entirely useless to me now...

Yeah, its a one trick pony list for sure. It's more of a casual setting this time around.

The corpse cart change though threw me a little bit. I had no idea about that. I guess I need to change that then.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, Honk said:

Not sure if double gheists are that friendly 🤔 

if you throw out the cart and one ghast, you could upgrade the Ghoulking to regent and maybe squeeze in the chalice 

Tournament is over now and boy did it go well. 

I managed to get most of my spells through every hero phase thanks to the +2.
Spectral Host + 4 extra attacks + rerolling hits for maw + feeding frenzy sent in turn 1 won me all games basically. 
And even if they managed to kill the first Gheist another took it's place. 

The other units basically never saw combat. :)

Went 3-0.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dejnar said:

Tournament is over now and boy did it go well. 

I managed to get most of my spells through every hero phase thanks to the +2.
Spectral Host + 4 extra attacks + rerolling hits for maw + feeding frenzy sent in turn 1 won me all games basically. 
And even if they managed to kill the first Gheist another took it's place. 

The other units basically never saw combat. :)

Went 3-0.

Whoa, which list was this?