AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 6/24/2020 at 12:09 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah the Battalion bonuses themselves are pretty poor, although you get some points back from the Kopp Rukk in that you don't need to take a Prophet to get access to his spell.  So you can load up on 4 Wardokks, get access to all the good spells, and put them inside a Battalion to keep your drops down.

I'd suggest 2x minimum Morr Boys in the Battalion, to use as chaff.  They're not really worth investing in further, because Savage Orruks have a better save and 2" reach, but you can always use a cheap chaff unit.

Brutal Rukk is awful, but again it bundles up your units (Battleline this time) into one package.

If you take a Rogue Idol or Big Stabbas, that will put you up to 3 drops overall.

Why do you think that Brutal Rukk is awful? 

What I understood is that you can move 5" with savage Orruks, than at the start of charge phase you can run + charge. If run is intended to move5" (again) + charge it doesn't look so bad. 

The Morboys natual +1 hit if a monster has died in the game seems to, on paper, syngergise really well with the Rogue Idol/Bonegrinz combo.

If the rogue idol barrels into the opponents line, they have no option but to deal with it, meaning that every unit of morboys will get the +1 hit.

I suppose my question really comes from what's better to have:

* x20 Morboyz with natural 3 attacks each at 3+ hit, with the 6+ save for 240 Points

or

* x30 Savage Orruks with the 2" reach, 3 attacks while at least 15 are alive and 5+ save for 300 points

From a survival standpoint the Savages can get to 3+ save whilst from an attacking one the Morboys can get to 2+ to hit which is pretty brutal.

Edited by VonSmall

On 6/27/2020 at 2:17 AM, DestructionFranz said:

Why do you think that Brutal Rukk is awful? 

What I understood is that you can move 5" with savage Orruks, than at the start of charge phase you can run + charge. If run is intended to move5" (again) + charge it doesn't look so bad. 

Hey Franz, what I don't like about it is that I think it's too restrictive.  You have to be wholly within 12" of the SBB at the start of the charge phase, which means you can't run away from him and out of range.  It's overly restrictive on the Boarboys in particular, since they are moving far faster than him, so he acts like an anchor holding them back.  

I've read it differently from you in that I don't think you get a "free" extra 5" move in the charge phase, but if that's what it's meant to be, then I agree that's far better (for Savage Orruks especially).

Maybe you could send in an FAQ?  I sent one in already, but they ignored it in the last round of FAQs.  I might try again too.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:37 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Hey Franz, what I don't like about it is that I think it's too restrictive.  You have to be wholly within 12" of the SBB at the start of the charge phase, which means you can't run away from him and out of range.  It's overly restrictive on the Boarboys in particular, since they are moving far faster than him, so he acts like an anchor holding them back.  

If you start the movement phase with the Boarboyz and the Savage Big boss from the same position it means that at the end of movement phase you have 7" of gap between the two units. So you can still make the run+charge movement with the Boarboyz. (W.W. 12") . If you think otherwise that the movement of the Savage Boss would be not enough you can still always run with him in the movement phase, favoring the run + charge of the Boarboyz in the charge phase. 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:37 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Maybe you could send in an FAQ?  I sent one in already, but they ignored it in the last round of FAQs.  I might try again too.

I will do it for sure. 🙂

On 7/3/2020 at 9:04 PM, DestructionFranz said:

If you start the movement phase with the Boarboyz and the Savage Big boss from the same position it means that at the end of movement phase you have 7" of gap between the two units. So you can still make the run+charge movement with the Boarboyz. (W.W. 12") . If you think otherwise that the movement of the Savage Boss would be not enough you can still always run with him in the movement phase, favoring the run + charge of the Boarboyz in the charge phase. 

Yeah it does mean you can't put Breath on them though (or if you do, it's only going to help in the Charge phase).  So the extra D6" you get from the run is way less than what you've lost from the spell.  Although even then it would sometimes be useful for having a second mobile unit (one with Breath, one near the Big Boss), or if you get unbound.  Maybe it's not as useless as I thought.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:04 PM, DestructionFranz said:

I will do it for sure. 🙂

Yeah I sent it in again too!  Haha.

at 140 pts weirnob is really expensive especially with Wardock is at only 80 pts. It seem they went for massive cost increase for Mage in general. Maybe they found mage where favoured over melee heroes and wanted to shuffle that a bit...

12 hours ago, broche said:

at 140 pts weirnob is really expensive especially with Wardock is at only 80 pts. It seem they went for massive cost increase for Mage in general. Maybe they found mage where favoured over melee heroes and wanted to shuffle that a bit...

Kinda BS when the two newest factions who won't have to eat cost increases are also two of the most magic-heavy factions we've ever seen.

33 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I don't think so. Reroll to cast/dispell is really powerful, as is a 12" move hero. Throw in a solid built-in spell and 120 feels a bit cheap.

There's a reason he's the least popular Bonesplitters wizard, my friend. He doesn't show up in a lot of tourney lists - Wurrgog and Wardokks are almost mandatory by comparison. Come to think of it,  Bonesplitters also don't show up much - BW is better and in BW you have even less room for him.

But if you think reroll to casting and dispelling is REALLY powerful you're gonna have a wild time playing against Seraphon and LRL. It's not bad, but on a single cast wizard with a decent but unremarkable warscroll spell it's hardly a game-changer. Also if you were curious, a reroll on 2d6 is roughly equivalent to a flat +2 in terms of probabilities (without creating a huge table with percentile results to see how it affects all the possible outcomes).

Edited by NauticalSoup

6 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Just noticed that the GHB 2020 list Bonegrin/Icebone/Drakfoot Warclans as battalions.  Does anyone know where these rules are?  I've never seen them.

They are probably planning to release those in a White dwarf soon (like those ironsunz bataillion from ironjawz)

Anyone played around with the Anvil of Apotheosis for Bonesplitterz yet? 

One of my main issues with playing Bonesplitterz prior to this has been access to baseline hard hitting units that didn't require buffs, outside Big Stabbas. This was was somewhat alleviated in the new book with the inclusion of the Rogue Idol into Bonesplitterz, which worked out great. 

But now, you can make a pretty solid beatstick custom Hero if events allow it, and I think a non-zero amount will. I'm thinking even a Monster Hero alongside a Rogue Idol might be pretty terrifying - there's plenty of solid support spells in our Lore, and that Hero would get Warpaint, Monster Hunter, and Tireless Trackers, making it a great aggressive piece on the board. One could splurge and make it Ethereal with a good save, which would give us a nice independent unit that can swing around and fight things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Anyone played around with the Anvil of Apotheosis for Bonesplitterz yet? 

One of my main issues with playing Bonesplitterz prior to this has been access to baseline hard hitting units that didn't require buffs, outside Big Stabbas. This was was somewhat alleviated in the new book with the inclusion of the Rogue Idol into Bonesplitterz, which worked out great. 

But now, you can make a pretty solid beatstick custom Hero if events allow it, and I think a non-zero amount will. I'm thinking even a Monster Hero alongside a Rogue Idol might be pretty terrifying - there's plenty of solid support spells in our Lore, and that Hero would get Warpaint, Monster Hunter, and Tireless Trackers, making it a great aggressive piece on the board. One could splurge and make it Ethereal with a good save, which would give us a nice independent unit that can swing around and fight things.

There's definitely gas in Anvil I think, a cheap foot hero with the +1 save CA could give savage Orruks a 2+ save, 5+ with shield, +1 from the spell, +1 from wardokk prayer, +1 from CA.

Can anyone tell me why the maniak weirdnob did go up in points?

The only thing I can think about is that he was a fast wizard with good + to casting in big waagh.

ah I forget his re roll that might be the thing with the + to cast

Edited by AlmGandix3
forgot about the re roll to cast

1 minute ago, AlmGandix3 said:

Can anyone tell me why the maniak weirdnob did go up in points?

The only thing I can think about is that he was a fast wizard with good + to casting in big waagh.

He was too close to being able to cast spells against Seraphon/Nagash/Lumineth and it interfered with the Magic Dom's fantasies.

• Haha 2