AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

38 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I also had a question regarding the weapon profile of the 'arboyz leader. The guy carries a Big Choppa AND a Smasha. What would his attack profile be? It says on the Warscroll to add 1 to all of their hit rolls. Do I roll for both a Big Choppa AND a Smasha and add 1 to his hit rolls for both weapons? Or I just roll for the Big Choppa and add 1 to his hit roll? 

If you could clarify this as well, that would be amazing. 

Thanks! 

So there are two things which apply.

1. WYSIWYG - If the model is has 2 weapons then it's duel wielding and uses that profile.
  2. Models which are ambiguous, such as banners etc, have whatever you declare them to have at the start of the game.
2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

What's up guys,

I'd like to validate a 1000 pts list with you all and get your feedback if you can. We have a casual league at work and I just started started playing with a 500pts list of IJ recently. I'm looking to upgrade to 1000 pts and here's the list I am thinking of.

I am hesitating for the artefact to give to my Megaboss. I want to give some survivability to my brutes as I know they have low bravery. Was thinking of this item vs MetalKrippa's? Anyway, would like your opinion on this. 

I also use balewind vortex in the list to get to 1000pts flush and enhance the casting of my shaman. Looking forward to your feedback :) 

Thanks in advance for the help.

My initial thought is that you're trying to do everything and limiting your ability to do anything well. You don't have the Ardboy block to HoG and tie them down, you don't have the uber Waaagh! bomb and you have no real magic potential.

Important Note Post FAQ

With the recent clarification regarding the skitterleap + balewind you can now hand of gork a weirdnob on a balewind vortex and have it stay on the balewind. That makes a Weirdfist with HoG  can now teleport to Greenpuke wherever you want 🤣

40 minutes ago, novakai said:

If your Boss is kitted out with dual wielding weapons, you would roll for Choppa and Smasha with a +1 to hit

Choppa or smasha is when your ardboy is equip with a shield so he loses one extra attack for the shield effect

That's great @novakai. That clarifies it.

Thanks for answering.

54 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So there are two things which apply.

1. WYSIWYG - If the model is has 2 weapons then it's duel wielding and uses that profile.
  2. Models which are ambiguous, such as banners etc, have whatever you declare them to have at the start of the game.

My initial thought is that you're trying to do everything and limiting your ability to do anything well. You don't have the Ardboy block to HoG and tie them down, you don't have the uber Waaagh! bomb and you have no real magic potential.

Important Note Post FAQ

With the recent clarification regarding the skitterleap + balewind you can now hand of gork a weirdnob on a balewind vortex and have it stay on the balewind. That makes a Weirdfist with HoG  can now teleport to Greenpuke wherever you want 🤣

Hey man, thanks for answering. Would you mind taking the time to propose something? I guess I'm fairly new and might not know all the strengths of the IJ. I thought this looked fairly balanced and I saw similar lists going around. 

If you could just take a minute and develop on each of the three things you suggested, that would be amazing 

Please enlighten me :)

Edited by Jabbuk
Adding info

Alright, I have revisited my list following @Malakreecomments. 

Here's 2 new lists for 1k points. My 4 opponents are Sylvaneth (They have the big tree thing too), BoC (Gavespawn, lots of guys), Skaven (havent played them yet) and Idoneth Deepkin (playing fair, not an insane eels build)

List A: The objective would be to buff the 20 ardboys and HoG them to disrupt the enemy lines (Most of them have a pair of smashas for maximum damage output). I have enough bodies to reduce my shaman casting (20+), and I have 2 warchanters to buff everyone. I filled my last points with another unit of gore-gruntas for additional mobility and perhaps a stronger/tankier  front line if needed. I have a group of 10 ardboyz to stay with my 3 heroes when everyone will be far away (equipped with Big Choppas for Rend if a big target). My concern with this list is: how do I handle the big ass monsters in Sylvaneth and BoC. Is this list enough?

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Spell: Hand of Gork 
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 16x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 4x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 3x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 7x Big Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 108

Alternatively, here's...

List B: The objective would be to buff the 20 ardboys and HoG them to disrupt the enemy lines in the back (Most of them have a pair of smashas for maximum damage output). I have 2 groups of brutes ready to wreak havock once the Waaagh kicks in, at the same time as the ardboyz in the back. Balewind Vortex to fill up points. I will have no problem to handle the big monsters with my brutes. However, do I have enough body on the field? Is it too slow?

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 89

What do you say? Which list is better considering my opponents? Thank you guys for the precious feedback.

Edited by Jabbuk

On 7/3/2019 at 7:21 AM, Arkahn said:

Some of you already tried some Meeting engagement ? 

I'm planning to use this list, what are your opinions ? 

For the last 40 pts i'm between keeping it for thriumph or grabbing an endless spell... 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Spearhead
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Main Body
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Rearguard
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 960 / 1000
Wounds: 75

Just a quick comment on your list :) 

I played a quick game a few days ago with a similar list.

I was taken a bit a back as the battleplan we played "rearguard action" (yeah: that battleplan is named accurately) turned my spearhead, main body and rearguard deployment sequence around. As such, the Wierdnob/ardboys was forced to enter the game last and my opponent dispelled my big green hand of gork with some sneaky stormcast scroll-ability (guess something similar could happen against Khorne).  Needless to say, there was much action in the rearguard...

Getting the side with the rearranged deployment order was unlucky to the point of crippling. Without the extra movement from battalion and no teleports until round three (out of four) I was having a hard time capturing any objectives, and forced to spend command points on d6 movements in the hero-fase. 

I'm not familiar enough with the new battleplans to recognize if such changes to deployment order are commonplace but I think it is necessary to consider such developments.

General question: Are Brutes not viable anymore?

Idk if they were actually good at one point, frenzied with a triple Waaagh a unit of 5-10 they did some carnage, but thats super situational. In the last few games I whiffed all my rolls with them and after doing the math and the recent changes and the general theme in this forum is - Ardboys are the new kids in town - Thats super sad for me, I don't really like the lore of Ardoys, are they already IJ, or just prospects? And the sculpt suck in comparison to the amazing Brutes. I will use em still in big blobs of 30 but I actually want to field the models I like and not those that are winning.

Any tipps how to use my lads still maybe as more defensive or objectives? Maybe Hero Hunting with Bloodtoofs and Hand of Gork?

Brutes are certainly viable, but you got it right they're better used in special mission. Of course, right now Ardboys are under costed and brutes are around fair-costed, so you don't want to play only Brutes (unless you go all in with the brutes fist /hand of gork combo). But playing 1 to 3 5-man squad isn't going to hurt your game plan. They do hit significantly harder than Ardboys estpecially the boss with his Rend 2. Might sound obvious, but try to opposed them to high wound units to maximize their value.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:34 AM, Malakree said:

Be interested to know what his matchups were. It looks like his round 4 was an ironjawz mirror and the meta itself seems a little light on the heavy MW output. That said ironjawz seem like a pretty solid counter to slaanesh, because of smashing and bashing, which themselves look to be a strong meta breaker.

So as long as slaanesh remains dominant then it should leave Ironjawz well placed. Against skaven/FEC/tripple bloodthirster khorne I can see it tanking pretty hard.

It's all about dodging those terrible matchups 😂

Hey! I was the guy playing jawz. I played two stormcast lists, a khorne list with dogs, cavarly, bloodthirster and 6 enlightened, an ironjawz mirror matchup, and a slaanesh list in round 5. 

With the changes to Gristlegore and Evocators, we're unlikely to see as many mortal wounds flying around. Changehost remains a threat but it's fortunately an army not too many people seem keen on playing. 

The only skaven I would be particularly worried about would be a list that's gone super heavy into warp lightning cannons - but that's come at the cost of a lot of other scary stuff they could run so I don't think people will run it (even with the enginecoven reductions).

The meta was softer than e.g. my run at BOBO was, but there were still plenty of very competitive players and tough lists at the event.

42 minutes ago, TinyDino said:

Hey! I was the guy playing jawz. I played two stormcast lists, a khorne list with dogs, cavarly, bloodthirster and 6 enlightened, an ironjawz mirror matchup, and a slaanesh list in round 5. 

With the changes to Gristlegore and Evocators, we're unlikely to see as many mortal wounds flying around. Changehost remains a threat but it's fortunately an army not too many people seem keen on playing. 

The only skaven I would be particularly worried about would be a list that's gone super heavy into warp lightning cannons - but that's come at the cost of a lot of other scary stuff they could run so I don't think people will run it (even with the enginecoven reductions).

The meta was softer than e.g. my run at BOBO was, but there were still plenty of very competitive players and tough lists at the event.

Ok, yeah I suspected you'd dodged a bunch of the more horrific matchups. Stormcast can be a ****** but it depends on the build, the khorne list is just odd and I'm pretty sure IJ have a positive matchup vs slaanesh (due to smashing and bashing). Plague monk lists would still

be a huge threat to IJ but it's really dependent on what goes off and where.

Still a very solid set of matchups (except the mirror ;) ) and nice to know that IJ hold their own against other competitive armies! I feel like with Slaanesh becoming such a dominant player in the Meta good IJ's have a solid chance to place really well.

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Everyone agrees with this sentiment, we all want Brutes...they look so much more badass.  They still are useful against high wound targets.  They just are slower than the the rest of the army, have less bodies, and are more expensive.

3 hours ago, Keilerei said:

General question: Are Brutes not viable anymore?

Yes Brutes are definitely still viable. The Brute Boss with Claw/Smasha is the second best recipient of Waaaghs! we have after the cabbage and ironically is the only model in the unit who really matters. As a result MSU Brutes with Waaagh! bombs is still horrific, they perform a different role to other units in the army. The reason for all of this is because if you get +6/7 attacks, which is easily achievable, the Brute Boss is making ~7 attacks with his claw, if ANY of them hit then the 8+ attacks with his smasha hit automatically with a 3+/-2/d3 profile that's a ton of damage. With Bash 'Em Ladz giving RRAwounds (NOT FAILED) one of their biggest weakness is now gone. 

I've also theorised that there is a potentially vicious Brutefist list. 

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth

Battleline
20 x Orruk Brutes (680)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Brute Fist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116

Turn 1

3 Command Points.
Cast Chronomantic Cogs.
Speed up Time.
Cast Hand of Gork on the 20 Brutes.
Use Mighty Destroyers to move the MK 12" forward.
Use Brutefist to have the Brutes charge with +3 to charge, (with a RR if needed)
Use Mighty Destroyers to have the Brutes activate in your hero phase.
Use Waaagh! if you still have the CP and run the rest of your army forward.
Charge with Cabbage+20 Brutes as the chaff should be cleared.
Eat important stuff.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Yes Brutes are definitely still viable. The Brute Boss with Claw/Smasha is the second best recipient of Waaaghs! we have after the cabbage and ironically is the only model in the unit who really matters. As a result MSU Brutes with Waaagh! bombs is still horrific, they perform a different role to other units in the army. The reason for all of this is because if you get +6/7 attacks, which is easily achievable, the Brute Boss is making ~7 attacks with his claw, if ANY of them hit then the 8+ attacks with his smasha hit automatically with a 3+/-2/d3 profile that's a ton of damage. With Bash 'Em Ladz giving RRAwounds (NOT FAILED) one of their biggest weakness is now gone. 

This exactly led to my Bruteboss (Waaaghed x 7) delivering 28 wounds on Evocators on Dracolines in my last game . Funny thing is that the stunt was not even hard to pull off with Bloodtoofs' "each unit counts as two for waagh purposes".

Poor evos didn't know what hit them :)

• Like 2

@Planar How do you found the count as 2 units valuable? I must admit right now i'm really tending toward Ironsunz (the -1 to hit in round  is really valuable to me) but I must admit that the ability to operate the Maw krusha with only 2 other units sound valuable as well. 

7 minutes ago, broche said:

@Planar How do you found the count as 2 units valuable? I must admit right now i'm really tending toward Ironsunz (the -1 to hit in round  is really valuable to me) but I must admit that the ability to operate the Maw krusha with only 2 other units sound valuable as well. 

I've always been a huge fan of Bloodtoofs just for the extra 2 bravery. There's such a massive difference between bravery 6 and bravery 8 it's unreal. Add in the +1 to charge/run and I love them.

I can see the double up for Waaagh! being so unbelievably good, IMO the megabattalions are mostly there for pulling off Waaagh! bombs and the moment you drop to 5 units it absolutely hoses your potential. 

So I haven't played with it specifically yet but all my previous experience, and the experience at the doubles, tells me the Waaagh! bomb is just as crucial as it always was.

@Malakree it's quite the opposite for me, i always found Bloodtooth pretty bad, never came close to play it at 120 pts. However at 80 pts it's a different story. Here how I value the individual power:

Ironsunz:
-1 to hit: Really high
extra wound/attack: Medium

Bloodtooth
+1 Charge: High
+2 bravery: low-medium
+1 run: irrelevant-low
Count as two: ???

I'm not sure how I rank the last blootooth power 

14 minutes ago, broche said:

@Malakree it's quite the opposite for me, i always found Bloodtooth pretty bad, never came close to play it at 120 pts. However at 80 pts it's a different story. Here how I value the individual power:

Ironsunz:
-1 to hit: Really high
extra wound/attack: Medium

Bloodtooth
+1 Charge: High
+2 bravery: low-medium
+1 run: irrelevant-low
Count as two: ???

I'm not sure how I rank the last blootooth power 

So I run support characters a LOT and often do so to position early in the game. Hand of Gork makes it less important for your block of 30 Ardboys but still important to move the rest of your army. The Bravery stops you from losing models to garbage checks (1 brute down, there goes another) but it also has some large ramifications for anything which targets bravery an example being Mind Razor on Witch Aelves, Terroghiest/Crypt Flayer screams, a ton of Death stuff. HoS also has a fair bit which targets Bravery.

So of the top armies at the moment 3 target bravery in a pretty solid fashion. Against those the difference between bravery 6 and bravery 8. If they need to equal it then its 72% (6+) vs 41% (8+) or if they need to beat it 58% (7+) vs 27% (9+). Those are some pretty solid differences with the amount of anti-bravery kicking around.

18 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Alright, I have revisited my list following @Malakreecomments. 

Here's 2 new lists for 1k points. My 4 opponents are Sylvaneth (They have the big tree thing too), BoC (Gavespawn, lots of guys), Skaven (havent played them yet) and Idoneth Deepkin (playing fair, not an insane eels build)

List A: The objective would be to buff the 20 ardboys and HoG them to disrupt the enemy lines (Most of them have a pair of smashas for maximum damage output). I have enough bodies to reduce my shaman casting (20+), and I have 2 warchanters to buff everyone. I filled my last points with another unit of gore-gruntas for additional mobility and perhaps a stronger/tankier  front line if needed. I have a group of 10 ardboyz to stay with my 3 heroes when everyone will be far away (equipped with Big Choppas for Rend if a big target). My concern with this list is: how do I handle the big ass monsters in Sylvaneth and BoC. Is this list enough?

Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Spell: Hand of Gork 
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 16x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 4x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 3x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 7x Big Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 980 / 1000
Wounds: 108

Alternatively, here's...

List B: The objective would be to buff the 20 ardboys and HoG them to disrupt the enemy lines in the back (Most of them have a pair of smashas for maximum damage output). I have 2 groups of brutes ready to wreak havock once the Waaagh kicks in, at the same time as the ardboyz in the back. Balewind Vortex to fill up points. I will have no problem to handle the big monsters with my brutes. However, do I have enough body on the field? Is it too slow?

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 89

What do you say? Which list is better considering my opponents? Thank you guys for the precious feedback.

If any of you guys would mind giving some feedback on those 1k lists, I would really appreciate it.

Loosing 1 Brutes out of 4 left don't affect much the game state (outside the psychological effet of loosing a model to battleshock). 
You still have 3 brutes left at the end of the day (and it only happen out of 6). Loosing 3 brutes is far worse, as you have 1 out of 3
that will whipe your whole squad. Outside the bravery attack, the +2 bravery is a very situational bonus (mostly useful on 1 units, Brutes)
and can easily be replaced with an artefact (Tooth or Skewer) or a command point. For me it's a nice too have, but not the thing that 
will affect the outcome of the game. 

The count as 2 is intriguing as it allow stuff that were not possible before. The Maw krusha can operate pretty independantly as keeping only 
2 units at 15'' is much easier. It also ensure waagh mid and late game (assuming MK is still alive). My take is that it have a good value 
in scenario with spread out objective and not much when action occur mostly at the center of the board. Would be better if it apply to 
Footboss as well.

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

If any of you guys would mind giving some feedback on those 1k lists, I would really appreciate it.

I like the 1st better, more units and balewind don't bring you much. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

I've also theorised that there is a potentially vicious Brutefist list. 

Turn 1

3 Command Points.
Cast Chronomantic Cogs.
Speed up Time.
Cast Hand of Gork on the 20 Brutes.
Use Mighty Destroyers to move the MK 12" forward.
Use Brutefist to have the Brutes charge with +3 to charge, (with a RR if needed)
Use Mighty Destroyers to have the Brutes activate in your hero phase.
Use Waaagh! if you still have the CP and run the rest of your army forward.
Charge with Cabbage+20 Brutes as the chaff should be cleared.
Eat important stuff.

Yeah I've been thinking the exact same thing with Brutefist!  Vicious is definitely the word.

I'm thinking about buying some Blood Bowl orcs (they scale really well with Brutes) to quickly boost up my numbers.  They're a lot cheaper than normal Brutes, and are also very nice models in dynamic poses.  With some minor conversion work, they fit right in.

15 hours ago, broche said:

Maybe its the list I am playing. I run two segments  in my army. One YOLO fast (1x maw crusha+ 2 units of 3 gruntas) and one slow (2 x 5 brutes+ 1x20 ardboyz+ Megaboss babysitter with banner for battleshock immunity). This gives me enough flexibility for all scenarios.  With Bloodtoofs I can pull Waaghs with both megabosses and that is crucial as it channels our offencive power to the most needed area.

On this last game where the brute boss scored 28 wounds I was alpa striked by the Dracolines. If it was not for bloodtoofs I would have spend 4 command points and get only +1 extra attack. (my Waagh roll was 3,5,5,6 6) and I had 3 units around the megaboss. With the battalion I got 7 extra attacks! Bloodtoofs eliminates the Waagh gamble and allows you to spread your units for more board control. These make a HUGE difference for IJ.

Also starting the game with 3 CP is super awesome. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Mikelomba said:

Is that the real reason, or justo not as much much competitive? Because resurrect 3 united of 20 ards...sounds cool

Literally the real reason. Ardfist is in a solid place now with HoG allowing you to dump 30 Ardboys in your opponents face turn 1.

2 hours ago, Mikelomba said:

Is that the real reason, or justo not as much much competitive? Because resurrect 3 united of 20 ards...sounds cool

No, the real reason is that both Blood Toofs and Iron Sunz require an Iron Fist, rather than an Ard Fist.  And even considering the recent buff to Ard Boyz, running a super battalion is probably more effective than an Ard Fist on it's own.

Edited by mikethefish

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

No, the real reason is that both Blood Toofs and Iron Sunz require an Iron Fist, rather than an Ard Fist.  And even considering the recent buff to Ard Boyz, running a super battalion is probably more effective than an Ard Fist on it's own.

Eh probably not true. If you're going for an objective tanking list there's a ridiculous Ardfist list which is mostly about making your opponent hate life.

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- All Using Shields

Battalions
Ardfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1910 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 218

Turn 1
HoG the 30 Ardboys across the board then shove them in your opponents face using +3 to charge
Hide the Warchanter in a corner, us Palisade to block all line of sight and the 10Ardboys to zone around him creating a massive bubble of no entry.
Spread the other 60 around the board denying the opponent the ability to get out of their deployment zone.
Begin the Meatgrinder till you're ~30+20 down.

Turn Whatever
Use the WC at the end of your opponents turn to bring back both units.
HoG the 30 Ardboys across the board.
Laugh Manically as your opponent glares at you in hate.

• LOVE IT! 1