AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

27 minutes ago, J.J said:

More of a little tester in a local campaign before I try and force Gordrakk to a tournament of any kind (I realise that I have no Warchanters in there...) - If anyone has had any success with the big guy please give me your suggestions!

He can work on his own without the battalion, you shove his voice of gork on himself then try to obliterate a key opposing hero (hopefully a wizard) using Smasha/Kunnin. Against a Wizard Hero with a 3+ save and Voice on him the average damage is 11 with an expected range of 7-15. That's JUST from Smasha and Kunnin. 

The most common list for him to be run in is the GordrakkFist which is him with a Gorefist attempting to alphastrike people.

@j.j ran a similar list early on, wasn't working to bad.

my suggestion: Use Warboss on boar. His waaagh is unrestricted, and reroll 1 to wound army wide is really good. He is the perfect fit in a gordrak list.

I would also advise fungoid over Weirnob at the moment.

I'll give the above list a try and see how I get on, using his voice on himself and seeing how much damage he can do before being picked apart. With it being against Stormcast I just have to hope he survives the trip across the table.

The Warboss on boar looks great, problem is after looking they seem near impossible to get hold of at the moment. How come the Weirdnob has fallen so far out of favour in comparison? From a cursory glance the Fungoid only seems good for the potential command point, whereas the Weirdnob's Foot of Gork spell looks like it'll almost always cast on an 8 and can be devastating.

16 minutes ago, J.J said:

The Warboss on boar looks great, problem is after looking they seem near impossible to get hold of at the moment. How come the Weirdnob has fallen so far out of favour in comparison? From a cursory glance the Fungoid only seems good for the potential command point, whereas the Weirdnob's Foot of Gork spell looks like it'll almost always cast on an 8 and can be devastating.

The weirdnob 

• 30 (or 40) points more expensive
  • Only gets 1 spell a turn with no option for a second
  • Has a conditional +2 to cast that drops off faster than you expect.
  • Arcane Bolts your own units randomly while casting/unbinding.
  • Foot is the highest CV spell in the game.
  • Foot will more often than not do nothing in a game.
  • You want your wizard to be casting Mystic Shield or a Realm spell.

Compare this to your 2 Gloomspite options.

1. Deathcap shaman can trigger a second spell and has a fantastic personal spell which is more reliable than foot at 40 points cheaper.
  2. Fungoid Shaman gets a second spell, a 4++ save and generates additional CP's throughout the game at 30 points cheaper.

Given that the majority of IJ lists now are trying to stack multiple Waaaghs! to steamroll someone in a single combat phase your priorities are generating CP's and protecting your Waaagh! sources. We aren't trying to kill people with spells, the main reason to take a wizard is the realm spells. Notably the realm of fire has a +1 damage for all weapons on a target which is bonkers with our Waaagh! explosion.

End result is that the Weirdnob is an overcosted wizard who generally does as much damage to you as your opponent and can't even cast a second spell. The only lists which will run him are Weirdfist lists.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, J.J said:

From a cursory glance the Fungoid only seems good for the potential command point, whereas the Weirdnob's Foot of Gork spell looks like it'll almost always cast on an 8 and can be devastating.

Personnaly i'm sometime bringing a Weirnob (will probably play 1 at LVO alongside Fungoid). You at least need the realm spell to maximize it's efficiency tough. If you're behind in the game a lucky foot could swing the odds too.  Most poeple find it bad, but is mostly just average.

Fungoid on the other hand is pretty much an auto-include right now. Generating CP in IJ is just pure gold. You basically get a wizard for free.

Hey fellow Destroctoids,

I started the hobby less then a year ago and just finished my 2k+ of Ironjawz. I don't have much playing experience yet, but I am super into the hobby, the painting, building, glue sniffing and rules as well as strats. Ladida...

My point: may I use the Megaboss modell as a proxy for eg. the Bannerboss of the Greenskinz? I know that he might be too big (base-wise) but I really love the Mini. If I understand correctly since AOS 2.0 he is not really worth taking anymore, because you can stack and spend multiple Mawkrusha Waaghs.

Or maybe you have a different idea what to do with this beaut?

Greetings

10 hours ago, Malakree said:

Command squad with 4 Big Choppas and the other 6 with shields is what I run.

For full offensive all Big Choppas are the best as @tolstedt said.

Rend is so good with multiple waaaghs.  

If the shield had a mortal wound save as well it would be a question for me.  Since they don't, I think punching back with rend to eliminate enemy attacks is better.  But if you are just putting ten on an objective to sit, then shields give you that chance of glory.

3 hours ago, Keilerei said:

Hey fellow Destroctoids,

I started the hobby less then a year ago and just finished my 2k+ of Ironjawz. I don't have much playing experience yet, but I am super into the hobby, the painting, building, glue sniffing and rules as well as strats. Ladida...

My point: may I use the Megaboss modell as a proxy for eg. the Bannerboss of the Greenskinz? I know that he might be too big (base-wise) but I really love the Mini. If I understand correctly since AOS 2.0 he is not really worth taking anymore, because you can stack and spend multiple Mawkrusha Waaghs.

Or maybe you have a different idea what to do with this beaut?

Greetings

So technically no you're not allowed to proxy at tournaments. At a local/friendly level it's about what you and your opponent are cool with.

Are you any good with conversions? If so see if you can't mash a goregrunta with the footboss and make him a banner from the ardboy kit.

Be a hell of a project but nobody is going to question it being a bannerboss as long as it's on the right base size for a boar mounted warboss.

Yeah that's what I thought. My local group is cool with it.

Sadly the model is the first one I painted, I fell in love with the hobby because of this guy, so no conversions. The model is huge, which should make him in terms of fluff pretty  important. That's why I would like to include him, but haven't seen him in many lists.

Right now I am using him as a brute babysitter, but after all the allegiance and battalion stuff he sits at the far end of the table and misses all the fun. 

Maybe someone has some neat tricks to make the best use of him.

9 hours ago, Keilerei said:

Yeah that's what I thought. My local group is cool with it.

Sadly the model is the first one I painted, I fell in love with the hobby because of this guy, so no conversions. The model is huge, which should make him in terms of fluff pretty  important. That's why I would like to include him, but haven't seen him in many lists.

Right now I am using him as a brute babysitter, but after all the allegiance and battalion stuff he sits at the far end of the table and misses all the fun. 

Maybe someone has some neat tricks to make the best use of him.

I've seen people saying that with Thermalrider Cloak he actually becomes pretty usable. All it takes it +4" movement and flying.

We can multi stack the greenskinz orruk warboss’s Waagh ability, right? Just like the IJ megabosses, right? I don’t anticipate doing that over the megaboss’s mighty waagh very often. However, I could see a situation where, depending on the scenario, my cabbage might be separated from some of my MSU orruks and I would still want a guaranteed waagh.

10 minutes ago, Nogginnocker said:

We can multi stack the greenskinz orruk warboss’s Waagh ability, right? Just like the IJ megabosses, right? I don’t anticipate doing that over the megaboss’s mighty waagh very often. However, I could see a situation where, depending on the scenario, my cabbage might be separated from some of my MSU orruks and I would still want a guaranteed waagh.

Yes, any and all of the waaaghs! can be used any number of times as long as you have the Command Points.

7 hours ago, Thenord said:

Quick question. 

What would you guys choose as an ally, Bonegrinder giant or rogue idol..? 

if you are going wierdfist or using a wierdnob and hoping to get off foot of gork go rogue idol. If they allow the realm spells in your area and you have a few wizards, go rogue idol. If you are looking for something to smash into stuff and for amusing things to occur, go bonegrinder.

If I were making an ally recommendation from scratch (and granted you didn't for it) I would probably say Troggath hag is a great choice. Slightly cheaper, highly resilient, strong if short ranged shooting attack and a wizard with an amazing spell. That spell on her completely changes a combat. Also because she is a wizard and resilient she is great for all the scenarios where only a wizard or artifact holder can sit on an objective.

Another classic ally choice would be the fungoid cave shaman. If you are in the realms for magic, 2 of these for 180 points will generate 3 CP on average by the end of turn 3, a value of 150 points meaning you basically got 2 spell casters for 30 points. If you have the aetherquartz broach then those extra CP will result in a 4th CP meaning your 180 points of spell casters generate 200 points of CP by the end of turn 3. With this little guy it is possible to forgo battalions entirely if you are looking at stacking Waaagh, drop your 300 points of Bloodtoofs for 360 points of 4 wizards and with your aetherquartz broach you will waagh 4 times a turn every turn of the game and have a lot of unbind and casting attempts too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, broche said:

4.5 CP :)

Haha I was about to correct you to 4.33333 recurring and then realized that you need to factor in a 1/3 chance each of the additional CP may generate additional CP in a lucky streak. You are right, sticking 2 of those guys for 180 points is 4.5 roughly CP after 3 turns. of 4.5 x 50points = 225 points average value if they stay alive for 3 turns and do nothing else.

If you combine that with the Prophet of the Waaagh that means those 180 points results in an average over your games of +6 attacks to all units or 2 per turn average. You would pay 180 points for something that did nothing else and granted your army an average 2 attacks per turn on every weapon in every unit.