AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

35 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

What's the community opinion regarding the MKBoss weapon? Gore hacka or the fist? More attacks or the ability to mirror some mortal wounds?

Gore hacka on an offensive set up, and consider rip-tooth fist in a defensive set up (ironclad/etheral amulet + mystic shield)

1 minute ago, svnvaldez said:

My gut says go with rip tooth for MK and go with spears for pigs... literally the opposite way  I have mine built.

what i do is I glue the weapon really lightly so it's not to painful to switch. lot less work than magnetise, and you can switch without much problem each 6month-year or so

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

What's the community opinion regarding the MKBoss weapon? Gore hacka or the fist? More attacks or the ability to mirror some mortal wounds?

I'd say the extra attacks is better. Especially if you're taking a damage option like Metalrippa's. That said if the riptooth isn't errata'd then it's HILARIOUS vs shooting armies. Basically whatever you have your MK built to be or personal preference.

16 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Also how do people like to arm the pigs? the spear or the choppa.

My gut says go with rip tooth for MK and go with spears for pigs... literally the opposite way  I have mine built.

I'm a firm believer that GW just rotates the optimal weapon set up so people who don't want to magnetize, yet play WYSIWYG will go out and buy duplicates lol

The two are basically equivalent. Each has a solid role and neither is strictly worse than the other. Go with personal preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

Remember you can only bring 1 mount trait per battalion.

The setup will probably be hilariously good in some battleplans and an absolute trainwreck in others, but if you went and bought 3 MKs then they are meant to be used!

Oh I remembered it being like that only for big waagh armies. Too bad for the triple build. 

Yes I had a guy in the US build me a mbmk in flight mode. He didn't take much for his work but with shipping around the world and customs it cost me the price of three mbmks. Totally worth it! 

9 hours ago, broche said:

what i do is I glue the weapon really lightly so it's not to painful to switch. lot less work than magnetise, and you can switch without much problem each 6month-year or so

At first I wasn't fan of the idea of magnetizing Warhammer models, but after getting models with multiple loadouts I figured why not give it a shot.

Oh boy it is really easy! You just drill a little bit in the arm and in the hand and glue a magnet in each (Make sure you faced them the right way). There you go, now you can freely switch. It isn't some kind of a proceedure a surgeon is required for. :P

With a little tinkering it is easily done with Gore-Gruntas too. I haven't done it with my Brutes because I don't ever foresee me using huge units with the 2" range weapons.

• Like 2

Playing against shooty stormcast, what do you guys think would be better? Ironsunz for the -1 to hit first turn or Bloodtoof for the guaranteed teleport to mess with their backline? My opponent favors deepstriking double balistas with vanguard Raptors and I'm worried of losing a MBMK before it even gets into combat.

1 hour ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Playing against shooty stormcast, what do you guys think would be better? Ironsunz for the -1 to hit first turn or Bloodtoof for the guaranteed teleport to mess with their backline? My opponent favors deepstriking double balistas with vanguard Raptors and I'm worried of losing a MBMK before it even gets into combat.

I think both can work. Do you know how many drop he as? the -1 to hit + sunbless armour should make the MK survive. I think he will go for the Warchanter first, with Ironsunz they would be -2 to hit

1 minute ago, broche said:

I think both can work. Do you know how many drop he as? the -1 to hit + sunbless armour should make the MK survive. I think he will go for the Warchanter first, with Ironsunz they would be -2 to hit

Not sure how many drops but he might be trying to squeeze Gotrex into his list which might make him drop a ballista and some Raptors. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironsunz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

Was thinking something like this. I like Fast 'Un to react to his potential drops behind me.

Debating using Gryph-Feather charm on WC instead for another -1 hit and little extra movement to keep up.

25 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Was thinking something like this. I like Fast 'Un to react to his potential drops behind me.

Screen, screen hard. Split one of your Ardboy units into 2 blocks of 5, that will let you spread them out more to greatly reduce his drop space to stop him powerdropping your backline. Hide that warchanter as far back as you can and screen it like mad. With -2 to hit you should be able to force him into giving up a charge in HIS turn if he wants to kill it.

Seriously, playing against stormcast is 100% about knowing how to block off areas of the board so they can't drop into them. This is obviously weighs heavily on your ability to deploy properly and that's a whole extra ****** of a lesson to learn.

27 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Screen, screen hard. Split one of your Ardboy units into 2 blocks of 5, that will let you spread them out more to greatly reduce his drop space to stop him powerdropping your backline. Hide that warchanter as far back as you can and screen it like mad. With -2 to hit you should be able to force him into giving up a charge in HIS turn if he wants to kill it.

Seriously, playing against stormcast is 100% about knowing how to block off areas of the board so they can't drop into them. This is obviously weighs heavily on your ability to deploy properly and that's a whole extra ****** of a lesson to learn.

Thanks, I need to start remembering that Ardboyz can be in 5s. Do you think Gordrakk is worth it or would I be better with a regular MBMK for another block of GGs or Brutes?

23 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Thanks, I need to start remembering that Ardboyz can be in 5s. Do you think Gordrakk is worth it or would I be better with a regular MBMK for another block of GGs or Brutes?

I mean you're close to running the list I'm planning on using next weekend at bloodshed in the shires.

I really like Big G as a second MK because he wouldn't be getting a trait or artefact anyway, so you're not losing out there. His base stats are all higher and his CA is just better. For 80 points it's a very significant upgrade over a standard MK.

Question for everyone:

I have the book in front of me right now and on the Violent Fury ability of the Warchanter, it says"add 1 to the damage inflicted by attacks made with melee weapons by that unit..."

Does that mean that the pigs in GGs units do not get +1 damage on their profile?

Could anyone confirm how this rule applies please?

2019-10-18 16_39_54-aos_orruk_warchanter_eng.pdf.png

"When a unit shoots or fights, it
makes attacks with the weapons it
is armed with. A unit attacks with
all the weapons it is armed with,
including any used by its mount."

The warchanter ability adds 1 to the damage of all weapons in the unit, it is pretty clear cut. In fact the only time mounts are pointed out as having any rules impact by itself (in the core rules) is for heroes on mounts and artifacts affecting a specific weapon. Battletomes has some extra mentions about heroes on mounts, such as certain command traits etc.

For Gore Gruntas for example it has no effect at all and might as well just be considered 1 big thing with 2 weapons. The pigs also get +1 attack from Waaagh, they are no different than if the rider just had 2 weapons instead rules wise 99% of the time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

"When a unit shoots or fights, it
makes attacks with the weapons it
is armed with. A unit attacks with
all the weapons it is armed with,
including any used by its mount."

The warchanter ability adds 1 to the damage of all weapons in the unit, it is pretty clear cut. In fact the only time mounts are pointed out as having any rules impact by itself (in the core rules) is for heroes on mounts and artifacts affecting a specific weapon. Battletomes has some extra mentions about heroes on mounts, such as certain command traits etc.

For Gore Gruntas for example it has no effect at all and might as well just be considered 1 big thing with 2 weapons. The pigs also get +1 attack from Waaagh, they are no different than if the rider just had 2 weapons instead rules wise 99% of the time.

Phew! That's great. Thanks for pulling out the rule too. So glad it counts for both.

8 hours ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I would go with Ironsunz. 

List V1.0. I have a soft spot for Brutes and hate that Ardboys outclass them. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 147

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I have a soft spot for Brutes and hate that Ardboys outclass them. 

Everyone keeps saying this but I really don't think they do. The points cost and role are different enough that they don't DIRECTLY compete. Ardboys are an anvil while Brutes are a hammer.

The issue is that Goregruntas outclass them. 

With all that said IMO if you are going for a Brute focused list you Must use Da Choppas warclan. The ability to multibuff several different units also letd you split some of your Brutes into smaller less juicy targets  with out losing efficacy.

Secondly the +2 bravery makes such a massive difference to the inevitable battleshocks.

Finally is the charge rerolls, this is probably the most important part for Brutes. With a unit of Goregruntas it's very easy to get yourself 3/4" charges just because of how fast they are. Likewise ardboys have their own +2 to charge which makes it much easier for them to make those long charges.

Brutes however are both slow and lack the extra charge range. The free charge refill makes a big difference in regard to those longer range charges you will inevitably have to make.

By the same token I'd also swap killa beat on the second WC for Get Em Beat. Your warchanters should be able to keep up with the brute units making it way more useful than when compared with GGs or Cabbages. Combine that with the charge reroll and a Brute unit now has a 3d6+1 rerollable charge which makes them a ton easier to get them where you need them to be!

Not sure if you've got the extra 10 brutes but also try replacing the 15 ardboys with 2 blocks of 5 brutes. Points wise it uses those spare 10, gives you better board coverage with the same wound count and slightly better damage output.

Additional Note

Seeing your list set out like that actually let twig that the comparison should be done at 10 brutes to 15 ardboys since there is a mere 10 points difference.

graph.php?q=r:335:28:2:m000;r:434:6:3:m0

10 brutes, +1 damage without their hit buff.

graph.php?q=r:335:32:2:m000&f=isrv&s=

15 Ardboys with +1 Damage.

Brutes have the same wounds with a smaller frontage and better damage output. The 6++ from Ardboys works out at about +2 effective wounds, the bravery difference at 6 damage is obviously better for the ardboys but tapers off as damage taken increases, due to casualties taken. In this regard the +2 bravery for Da Choppas, boss skewer and/or golden toof all become very important.

So it really is the case of Hammer vs Anvil.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Alrighty. I get what your saying. With that kind of list I might as well go full on glass cannon blitz mode. Plus for me its more visually appealing and thats the most important part. I just hate the Ardboys models. Now I could use the Blood Bowl guys. They fit a bit better.

Im not sold on Da Choppas. None of their abilities are good with the exception of the multibuff. But is that worth sacrificing a trait for the megaboss? Im thinking no

Edited by Malakithe
  • Like 1

So I'm thinking of trying something pretty stupid next Friday. I'm sure it'll fail spectacularly but it tickles me to try it. 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Bone Krusha
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Brute Fist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 166

Warchanters are basically there for Waagh energy  which I'll use for the Zap' Em ability and to capture backline objectives with a big death star moving up for Wraith of Gork. Potentially rolling 22 dice for the 2+ MW. Balewind for Prophet maybe so it does D6 MW at 12" instead of 6".  Its dumb but I miss the old Weirdfist.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Alrighty. I get what your saying. With that kind of list I might as well go full on glass cannon blitz mode. Plus for me its more visually appealing and thats the most important part. I just hate the Ardboys models. Now I could use the Blood Bowl guys. They fit a bit better.

Im not sold on Da Choppas. None of their abilities are good with the exception of the multibuff. But is that worth sacrificing a trait for the megaboss? Im thinking no

Da choppas have a good command ability and will also quite often provide charge rerolls, as there will often be some terrain even partially within enemy territory within 12" of your guys. The forced artifact is just for the first weirdnob to get an artifact, so you can account for that as you wish. The trait is for any general, but the +2 bravery aura is quite decent, I prefer it over any of the other warclan traits actually.

Not to say I think the choppas and spamming brutes/ardboyz is the best option, but is certainly interesting enough and this clan would be the way to run it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Da Choppas is super good. spreading frenzy of violence on  3 units instead of 1 is super valuable. Reroll charge is super good, and +2 bravery is valuable especially on Brutes, and artefact is easily ignorable

• Like 2