Mourngul in or out

LJ26

It really depends on his pts cost. As is, yes, the new mystic shield makes him stronger but he is still pushing the low end of threat level for his pts cost now.  Compare to other monsters in the 350 pts neighborhood and the Mourngul less damage than them with a lot fewer wounds. His claim to fame is that armor save and -1 to hit modifier but I just don't think it justifies the pts cost, as is. 

Compare him to 9 spirit hosts (360pts):

Hosts have 27 wounds with a 4+ save. Which means it takes 216 attacks with a 4+/4+ and 1 damage to kill them.
Mourngul has 10 wounds with a 3+ save and -1 to be hit. Which means it takes 182 of those same attacks to kill a mourngul.

Thus Hosts are tougher before you even take into account the benefits of their summonable keyword which provides them with far more self healing that the mourngul can put out.

Hosts have 54 attacks that hit on 5+, MW on 6+. This leads to ~9 MW and another ~4.5 1 damage wounds at no rend.

Mourngul has 8 attacks that hit on 3+ that are damage 2, 3 if you roll 6s which leads to ~2.66 wounds at 2 damage and ~0.88 wounds at 3 damage leading to an average of 7.96 damage before saving throws at rend -1.

Thus, on average the hosts are bringing more damage, in the form of mortal wounds than the mourngul is bringing at -1 rend.

The Mourngul's 1 benefit over the hosts is that it is twice as fast but imo there are better options for "fast" if that is what is needed. Especially taking into account the new black coach, which we don't have rules for yet but I bet it will be in a similar pts cost range with similar speed but much more powerful.

I think if the Mourngul was 280pts or so he would be competitive, but as it stands, he is just outclassed.

Well, firstly all FW units are getting "new rules" around AoS 2 release so we dont actually know what he's going to do yet.

If he does stay the same, he's actually more playable now than he has been since his initial nerf - a walking -1 to hit aura is huge, NH's new buffs can get him into range of proccing his extra damage and new mystic shield helps him rather than being unusable. Overall I think he's pretty playable now and may even be really good. It's hard to overstate just how good -1 to hit auras are, especially when combined with other -1 to hit things.

I'm certainly looking forward to maybe, finally, having a chance to use mine again after he's sucked for so long!

7 hours ago, ianob said:

Well, firstly all FW units are getting "new rules" around AoS 2 release so we dont actually know what he's going to do yet.

If he does stay the same, he's actually more playable now than he has been since his initial nerf - a walking -1 to hit aura is huge, NH's new buffs can get him into range of proccing his extra damage and new mystic shield helps him rather than being unusable. Overall I think he's pretty playable now and may even be really good. It's hard to overstate just how good -1 to hit auras are, especially when combined with other -1 to hit things.

I'm certainly looking forward to maybe, finally, having a chance to use mine again after he's sucked for so long!

He can also bring along an Executioner Lord, since a lot of things that can kill him quickly are heroes on other behemoths.

16 hours ago, Nevar said:

He can also bring along an Executioner Lord, since a lot of things that can kill him quickly are heroes on other behemoths.

That's not a very good reason for bringing a bad model, though.

55 minutes ago, Arael_Greywings said:

Oh, actually it does have the full support... After all ForgeWorld is GW

No, it has not. It has indeed a warscroll and points. But: it is FW and thus in tourney, not always accepted. It is never displayed in official GW games nore battle reports and whereas we are in un full nighthaunt era, we won't see it (because of new GW NH units).

I'm not complaining BTW. FW has many superb miniatures managed even worse by GW (AoS/40K/Hobbit)

26 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

No, it has not. It has indeed a warscroll and points. But: it is FW and thus in tourney, not always accepted. It is never displayed in official GW games nore battle reports and whereas we are in un full nighthaunt era, we won't see it (because of new GW NH units).

I'm not complaining BTW. FW has many superb miniatures managed even worse by GW (AoS/40K/Hobbit)

I was a bit sarcastic there to be honest... It is a bit of a conundrum for me since GW owns Forge World why they don't support the models better, I mean if more people buy em they will earn more...

Archived