Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

I dont think so. Logically it have to release directly after soul wars, but we have to see. If there would be so much time between it i dont think that they had include the new models and battallions inside gh18.

and its not that we didnt got any informations. We got the points for the models and we could see the, in the sacrosant release video.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, J.Z. said:

I have a quick question- 

On Retributor warscroll it said that unit consist of 3 or more units.

5 unit Retributor Palladins is worth 220 point so how many is unit of 3 worth? 

220pts, can't buy models individually. Ignore the warscroll, go with the GHB unit sizes.

Just now, Bellfree said:

220pts, can't buy models individually. Ignore the warscroll, go with the GHB unit sizes.

Ugh... Well I'm asking because in old Starter box you have only 3 Retributors and with easy-to-build Ret. Box unavailable i'm short of two.

That's GW politics I guess. I heard the new box have the same problem already, even before release.

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

That's crazy. 3 or more months with points values in the GHB for units without rules? 

That's a lot of time for having a half working army, with stop-gap warscrolls and no idea of what should or shouldn't be added to existing armies.

I hope both the Nighthaunt and SCE releases overlap somehow.

Its not really half a working army, its even more on top of the Stormcasts, and we have been pretty spoiled. KO and Sylvaneth could wish they got releases like we did! 

We are even getting two of our Wizards straight away. Defintiely cant complain if we have to wait a little longer for the rest of our toys. 

1 hour ago, J.Z. said:

Ugh... Well I'm asking because in old Starter box you have only 3 Retributors and with easy-to-build Ret. Box unavailable i'm short of two.

That's GW politics I guess. I heard the new box have the same problem already, even before release.

The Nighthaunt have a unit that you cant complete to the minimum even if you buy 3 Soulwars - the scythe squad is minimum 10 and has a sergeant with a bell rather than the scythe. You get three useless Sequitors, an undermanned Evocators squad... 

its pretty silly. I think its even worse than the last one. 

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

I dont think so. Logically it have to release directly after soul wars, but we have to see. If there would be so much time between it i dont think that they had include the new models and battallions inside gh18.

and its not that we didnt got any informations. We got the points for the models and we could see the, in the sacrosant release video.

They didnt have to include the new points anyways, since they would be in the battletome. It could simply be for completeness sake and to build up some hype.

1 hour ago, Crazyterran said:

Its not really half a working army, its even more on top of the Stormcasts, and we have been pretty spoiled. KO and Sylvaneth could wish they got releases like we did! 

Please do note there is a difference between a "half working army" and "half a working army'.

We can't build an army right now with confidence that it will work in 4 months, because we don't know if our awful Allegiance Ability will change, if we will get Stomrhosts/battalions which will make apparently weak units (eg. Castigators) better, we don't know if prayers will change, if our artifacts will change, we don't even know full equipment options for some units (Castigators? Evocators?).

A list built upon the little we know right now may and will be a half working army after the Battletome is released, if you are any competitive.

4 hours ago, J.Z. said:

Get two off Ebay - it's the easiest solution. Lots of them floating around from people parting out Starter Boxes. 

3 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Please do note there is a difference between a "half working army" and "half a working army'.

We can't build an army right now with confidence that it will work in 4 months, because we don't know if our awful Allegiance Ability will change, if we will get Stomrhosts/battalions which will make apparently weak units (eg. Castigators) better, we don't know if prayers will change, if our artifacts will change, we don't even know full equipment options for some units (Castigators? Evocators?).

A list built upon the little we know right now may and will be a half working army after the Battletome is released, if you are any competitive.

Agree to 100%. Its totally on point what daniel wrote. I really like the new models but you cant build a list now. Too much is missing.

I know list-building right now is silly, but i'm thinking more and more of a celestant on stardrake + drakesworn + castellant + a random caster

the new mystic shield give to the drakesworn the reroll he needs to be as resilient as the celestant on stardrake. If staunch defenders still exist, we can have 2 big dragons with a 1+ rr1 and a 2+ rr 1, with double rain of star (much more reliable in character sniping) and +2 to allies casting rolls as well as -2 to ennemies, which will be very important i think.

It still left enough point for having 3/4 more units, and two stardrake are enough to hold the central line

54 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you guys think of that lord exorcist review? Was he 100 points or 120?

Lord Exorcist is 140, so same as Incantor. His spell is interesting but hard to get off with the short range, so we'll see. Hard to pick that over the auto-dispel once per game. 

10 hours ago, J.Z. said:

Are you sure they are unavailable?  They still are on the site for me in the U.S.  Regardless lots of places should still have stock. I got a box the other day on eBay, probably some on amazon as well. Also various retail locations should still have them. 

9 hours ago, Crazyterran said:

We are even getting two of our Wizards straight away. Defintiely cant complain if we have to wait a little longer for the rest of our toys. 

The Nighthaunt have a unit that you cant complete to the minimum even if you buy 3 Soulwars - the scythe squad is minimum 10 and has a sergeant with a bell rather than the scythe. You get three useless Sequitors, an undermanned Evocators squad... 

its pretty silly. I think its even worse than the last one. 

They didnt have to include the new points anyways, since they would be in the battletome. It could simply be for completeness sake and to build up some hype.

Not to point out the obvious but if you’re  the type of player only concerned with matched play then yes the Soul Wars boxes aren’t necessarily the best option. However there are tons of ways to play AoS. 

I think conplaining about the great value you do indeed get with the entire box because it’s not min max with matched play is a little short sighted and unfair.   They could easily offer complete units but then the box would just be more expensive which I guess you might want but from a business stand point I think they want to keep it around that price point. 

For anyone playing with friends, there's no reason to insist on the units being full sized.  Or even in multiples of 5 or 10 or whatever.  It's really simple arithmetic to figure out a points cost per model and just go with it.  The game isn't going to break down because your units have non standard quantities.

If you play in events or with people who regularly do, then you might not want to do that, but if it's just the people down at the local store or friends at a club or at someone's house, it's really not that hard to play matched play with whatever unit sizes you want.  Easiest house rule ever with very little effect on the game.

1 hour ago, Tiriom said:

I think complaining about the great value you do indeed get with the entire box because it’s not min max with matched play is a little short sighted and unfair. 

They could easily offer complete units but then the box would just be more expensive which I guess you might want but from a business stand point I think they want to keep it around that price point. 

I don't want to claim any knowledge of their actual manufacturing process, but I'd imagine that the cost of adding the extra models to the units isn't particularly high - had the initial sprue  etc been designed with that intent.

From a business perspective it does indeed seem from a simple glance, omitting many other possible factors, that simply making them odd sizes and forcing you to buy more sets is going to be a net positive for them.

I think you saying that consumer concerns and criticisms of this approach of forcing you to buy multiples etc is "short sighted and unfair"  on the grounds that it would cost GW too much and/or force them to make the box prohibitively expensive is in itself rather unfair. You have no more grounds that you are basing your opinion on than they do.

What is likely is that GW have decided that any loss of good will etc is outweighed by extra sales etc and that it is is profitable for them - that does not necessarily mean it is best for the consumer. 

--

As someone who is interested primarily in matched play, I would say the stripped down sets and odd numbers are pretty disappointing. I found it a problem with the previous starter sets and one I had hoped would be gone in the new ones.

There's nothing worse than seeing your friend who is new to the game buy the starter sets, only to later find out once they get more into the game that their units are either not legal for matched play, or do not have the weapon options that they really need. I've seen first hand the disappointment that can bring.

10 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

140pts for the exorcist

I hope he gets something nice in addition to that spell. Incantors get a lot of tricks (auto-unbind, suicide mortals) in addition to the less underwhelming spell. It's not like I love the model anyway. It's the more static, less inspired cousin of the Lord Veritant.

3 hours ago, ledha said:

If staunch defenders still exist, we can have 2 big dragons with a 1+ rr1 and a 2+ rr 1, with double rain of star (much more reliable in character sniping) and +2 to allies casting rolls as well as -2 to ennemies, which will be very important i think.

I believe the wording on Arcane Lineage suggest the roll can only be modified by one, regardless of the number of Stardrakes within 18".  "Each time a casting roll is made for a WIZARD within 18" of any Stardrakes in your army..."

6 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I believe the wording on Arcane Lineage suggest the roll can only be modified by one, regardless of the number of Stardrakes within 18".  "Each time a casting roll is made for a WIZARD within 18" of any Stardrakes in your army..."

Damn, you are right. I always thought it was cumulative. Sorry for the error. It sound a bit less impressive...

Archived