Las Vegas Open

17 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Nah not taken my army to US before. Am doing Adepticon and LVO. I'm new to the hobby generally. 

Yeah I’m just getting into AoS in a big way. Played a bunch of games but nothing serious. Going to get into the competitive scene when the 2nd edition drops

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2018/02/01/huge-age-of-sigmar-contingent-at-lvo-2018/ 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/04/the-las-vegas-open-2019/

Here is an article about last years AOS event. Mainly so you can get a look at the tables, awards, convention hall, and armies. LVO is great only issue about last years is the TO opted to convolute the players pack with side missions that I felt really slowed the games down.  Hopefully a more  straight GH game is played with the release of AOS 2.0.

Tony Moore @Countmoore and Nigel Chorlton from the UK went to LVO last year. Maybe you can track them down and ask about their experience.

1 minute ago, svnvaldez said:

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2018/02/01/huge-age-of-sigmar-contingent-at-lvo-2018/ 

Here is an article about last years AOS event. Mainly so you can get a look at the tables, awards, convention hall, and armies. LVO is great only issue about last years is the TO opted to convolute the players pack with side missions that I felt really slowed the games down.  Hopefully a more  straight GH game is played with the release of AOS 2.0.

Tony Moore @Countmoore and Nigel Chorlton from the UK went to LVO last year. Maybe you can track them down and ask about their experience.

Thank you very much for sharing this! I’ll be sure to check that link out. I’m also after any hints/tips I can get about the event so will definitely track down those guys and ask them.

25 minutes ago, Tip4Tap said:

Yeah I’m just getting into AoS in a big way. Played a bunch of games but nothing serious. Going to get into the competitive scene when the 2nd edition drops

Same as me for the last 6 months then. It's great fun but stressful at the events, but definitely recommend it. You'll have a great time in Vegas regardless, because Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Same as me for the last 6 months then. It's great fun but stressful at the events, but definitely recommend it. You'll have a great time in Vegas regardless, because Vegas. 

Yeah it’ll also be my first time in the U.S which is pretty cool.

9 minutes ago, Tip4Tap said:

Yeah it’ll also be my first time in the U.S which is pretty cool.

I work there so know it well, just not played a GW event there. Happy to hang around with you if you like dude. I'll be alone anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I work there so know it well, just not played a GW event there. Happy to hang around with you if you like dude. I'll be alone anyway. 

For sure dude that would be cool.

11 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/04/the-las-vegas-open-2019/

LVO was awesome. One of the best gaming weekends I’ve had. If you need anything give me a shout. 

I was told to come to this site to post. Very cool website. Originally posted in Reddit.

I am very much a novice at AOS with maybe an ~ 4000 point painted Free People/Order Army. Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, I rarely - if ever - get to play any games in my local area so I was hoping to attend the LVO just to get some mileage out of my army and enjoy 3 days of just war gaming. My questions are:

1. What is the casual gaming scene there like? Is it fairly easy to pick up a game? Hows is it coordinated, etc? My concern is that the LVO is mainly tournament driven and I am no where near that level of game play.
  2. In casual open gaming - is there scenery and buildings available for people to use or do you have to bring your own?

Thanks for any help.

I went last year and it was my first tournament. It was a total blast. Unfortunately the AOS championships are going to be Friday-Saturday this upcoming year and taking a Friday off is nigh impossible for me. I don't really understand what made them decide to change the schedule format. I know Im probably an exception, but I figure theres going to be a few other people like myself who can't take a weekday off.  Definitely considering making it down for the doubles Sunday regardless, but its a big trip just for one day! 

Thanks for the info Dervinus. How much experience have you had prior to your first tournament? In all honestly I would be a bit intimidated since I am fairly new to it all. That's why I was wondering how the casual scene was - but maybe I should just sign up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 10:33 AM, traijan said:

Thanks for the info Dervinus. How much experience have you had prior to your first tournament? In all honestly I would be a bit intimidated since I am fairly new to it all. That's why I was wondering how the casual scene was - but maybe I should just sign up. 

My first 2000 point game of AOS was the first game of the LVO last year...so dont worry about it. On the bottom tables - which is where I ended up - nobody really takes it too seriously. 

Traijian I highly recommend tournament weekends as a great way to get immersion into the hobby for a relatively low 'price' of away time from the family.   For me I can tell my wife I want a Saturday one off game and then build a list/make sure it's packed/get it to the location set up the toys/play a game pack up and get home for something like 3-5 hours of time.  Or I can get do a weekend tournament with giving my wife months of forewarning, arranging some help with the kids for when I'm going if necessary, and then  be away from the family for roughly 48 or so hours and in that time get a minimum of 5 games and up to 7 with lots of total immersion in the hobby.   

Two day vs one day vs local to you vs long distance travel add various factors on time, but the important thing is you don't have to be an expert to have a lot of fun at a tournament.  I would suggest cutting your teeth on something local to you if you can to make sure tournament play is fun for you, as the opportunity cost (Food, hotel, travel) is usually lower.  

Archived