Bleep Bloop's Mengel Minis Season of War Paint Log

Hi there.  I'm Bleep Bloop.  This is the painting log of my entry for Tyler Mengel's Season of War Painting Competition.  Tyler is an amazing painter and hobbyist, and generously holds fun, community painting competitions with prize support.  I'm a notoriously slow painter and up against the competition deadline, so I hope I can finish in time!

I decided to work on my Mortis Engine...let's see if this turns out to be a good idea or not. :-)

One thing that has bugged me about most Mortis Engines I've seen is the terrible mold line running along either side of the necromancer's cloak.  I'm determined that mine will have no such line.  A zillion layers of liquid green stuff later, we're in business!

IMG_4959.JPG 

Just starting to block in some values on the altar and stonework:

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

17 hours ago, Callidan said:

Wow Dude I love your work. Can I ask how did you do the bone? 

Thanks Callidan! Sure, Here goes:

-I start with a black undercoat
-base coat with Liquitex burnt sienna (leaving deep recesses black)
-layering with gradually lighter layers of burnt sienna+ Vallejo Bonewhite (3-4 layers)
-final layer with vallejo bonewhite+skull white (about 3:1)

for layering, I always mix in Liquitex slo-dry medium to keep it very thin and fluid.  I love that stuff. Thin layers I find are the key for building up translucency and depth.

I made a bit more progress on the Mortis Engine chassis.  I've worked on the flames and torsos that will flank the necromancer. Wow, those took a while! All the bone areas will get one more selective highlight to make them pop.  At this point the altar is just dry-fit to get an overall feel.
FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Here's where their missing heads are! 
This is my usual setup for painting small parts and sub-assemblies. (LED leads buried in clay, stuck on old GW paint pots). A little pin vice and a tiny blob of superglue helps bits stay put while working on them, but is easy enough to remove when finished. Simple and it works great.

FullSizeRender-9.jpg

On July 28, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Urauloth said:

Very impressive. Can't wait to see the necromancer in place.

What colours went into that stone, if you don't mind?

Thanks! 
I used several thin layers of blues and greens over a black undercoat. First is caliban green mixed with a bit of liquitex Cerulean blue and just a bit of black.  Then build up with less black and start to mix in Vallejo Bonewhite. The sharpest edges have a bit more Vallejo Bonewhite and even skull white mixed in to try to push the contrast up (but still have a blue-green base).

On July 28, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Mirbeau said:

This is ridiculously good, no way am I entering that competition now xD

Is this regular or airbrush painting?

Aw, thanks!  But you should definitely enter!

It's all done with traditional brushes.

I like that base. Are the levels achieved with some kind of polyfilla?

I want to learn a bit of that for more dynamic basing.

Tbh I think if you get this in you'd be hard pressed to lose :P

I know that what I entered that meets this (some simple judicators) aren't up to scratch. I painted them as nice tabletop units. You've put real contest effort into this in many ways.

Archived