Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sigwarus said:

Have you played a game against Nagash since the LoN book? If not I can tell you that he more than pays for his costs. Imagen said wizard being able to reroll al saves or cast his 8 spells at 3+ to cast trough a magic portal. That should imply a point raise. 

While nagash is borderline op I think you're missing one very big nerf he got: new mystic shield. Before he could easily give himself +1 to all save rolls making his save 2+ with rerolls of 1. This made him unkillable by any unit that didn't have rend -1 or better or mw output. Now that mystic shield has been changed, his ability to survive is drastically lower.

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

But that's not true. Fyreslayers, Kharadron, Dispossessed and quite a few smaller factions get 0 access to wizards. You can say they can get access to wizards via allies of the same faction, but summoning is the same. Every faction (except Destruction?) has summoners.

Consider the fact that stormcasts are having sorcerers. As everyone is friend with SCE,  Order has magic. Basically, every faction has access to magic, at least in allies.

Yeah I guess the guys at the short end of the summoning (and to a lesser degree magic in general)  stick are Destruction.

...unless there is new stuff inbound we don't know of yet.

(And to be fair: there are some cool wizards in Destruction so magic wise it isn't too bad)

As for the shooting: as expected, and I think I kinda like it on first glance. Will see how it works on the table.

Funny. This was my post to the official GHB feedback thread bit over a year ago:

I think a limitation, that shooting while within 3" of enemy would only be allowed to enemies within 3" could be good for the game, looking at the amount of skyfires and kurnoth hunters in the tournament reports. This would give more tactical choices to shooting and prevention of it. This could be taken model per model, so by forming your units right, the front warriors could slow down the offenders, while the back ranks could still fire further, but also would allow fast cavalry and such to be able to harrass the shooters better. But to be clear, I wouldn't want to stop shooting totally when engaged.

I think it's more of a coincidence, but still fun.

I like how that creates an interesting tradeoff for shooting armies:

Place shooting in front to have maximum range to attack stuff, but risk them being attacked early, OR put them behind some chaff sacrificing a bit of range but keep them safer and able to shoot stuff behind enemy lines. In turn 2 or so.

Coming from a WH40K background, it's interesting to see, that in AoS if a dedicated shooting unit gets tied down in close combat, they still fight at their full potential (shooting in the shooting phase, fighting in the combat phase), the only restriction, that they can't choose their target.

32 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Consider the fact that stormcasts are having sorcerers. As everyone is friend with SCE,  Order has magic. Basically, every faction has access to magic, at least in allies.

I think we're fooling ourselves if we think a 100-140 point single caster will be magically competitive with  armies that have multicasting and bonuses to cast.  They may have "access" to magic, but we have yet to see how viable those casters are.  Order Dwarves certainly aren't the only ones in a tough spot, but up until SCE gained wizards, they had zero access to magic.  I am sure there are other factions out there in a similar spot. 

3 minutes ago, Vanger said:

Coming from a WH40K background, it's interesting to see, that in AoS if a dedicated shooting unit gets tied down in close combat, they still fight at their full potential (shooting in the shooting phase, fighting in the combat phase), the only restriction, that they can't choose their target.

This is offset by them having usually rubbish cc attacks or short range. There are some exceptions though...

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Why do you want magic in all factions? Why on earth a dwarves army need magic where basically they HATE this kind of stuf??

Let the armies fight with their own strenght!

Because magic is being thrust to the forefront of the game with Endless spells and 50ish new realm spells.  The lack of magic within dwarf armies was previously compensated with ranged attacks, but the new edition is universally making ranged combat weaker.  So now you have a slow, low mobility force with weakened ranged threat and no significant magic.  One could claim that they have strong defenses, but this is simply not true when set alongside something like SCE.  Dwarf players are concerned, and legitimately so. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Why do you want magin in all factions? Why on earth a dwarves army need magic where basically they HATE this kind of stuf??

Let the armies fight with their own strenght!

I don't think it's necessarily wanting all armies to have Magic but more wanting to have new stuff for your army when other armies are themselves getting new stuff. Where it doesn't make sense in the fluff for Fyreslayers to have wizards, they could choose to expand the way the Runemasters and Runesmithers utilize Runic buffs in the army (for one example). Or ur-gold runes or artifacts as an excuse to summon some version of Endless Spells.

In addition I think there is a fear that if the new Endless Magic and Summoning changes are implemented without a change to Unit points or Warscrolls (ie armies with access to magic going up in points and/or armies without going down in points) then it does potentially put those armies without access except by allied units at a disadvantage. Though I can't see GW not using the GHB2018 to tweak the points to account for these new systems.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, AlphaKennyThing said:

Aha I have to say, I liked the random nature of AoS at times, but Endless Spells have just made things infinitely more interesting.

You see people carefully laying out screens, having a perfect battle plan in mind to counter their opponent. As soon as one of those Purple Suns is plonked down in the middle of the board, the game will look like a tabletop recreation of Mario Kart. Gargants slipping on conjured Endless banana skins and wiping out 40 objective-holding grots, wizards being launched into orbit by their own Balewind Vortexes, 'Ardboyz being eaten alive by a ravenous spell their own shaman just summoned. Summoned reinforcements arriving only to be teleported across the board to somewhere useless. It's going to be bloody mental.

And all the while I shall be cackling manically, whilst my opponent sobs into his battletome, "BUT MUH NETLIST!?!?"

Bring it on, I say!

I had to laugh so hard at this. Thanks for making my day. The image of this situation is now burned in my head. You really hit my kind of humor here. 

50 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

While nagash is borderline op I think you're missing one very big nerf he got: new mystic shield. Before he could easily give himself +1 to all save rolls making his save 2+ with rerolls of 1. This made him unkillable by any unit that didn't have rend -1 or better or mw output. Now that mystic shield has been changed, his ability to survive is drastically lower.

Oh, I have seen the change and recognized the impact for nagash. But now one endless spell makes it possible for rerolls to all saves. Rerollable 3+ (or 4+ if rend) will save him. But sure I've seen it and it is something. You will really have to kill nagash in this edition. 

Traditionally non-magical armies like dwarfs and Khorne were better at dispelling. There's some of it in aoS, but like in past editions, it's not exactly often meaningful enough to really be a strength as it needs some serious investment in it and still often the magic is stronger. 

2 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Traditionally non-magical armies like dwarfs and Khorne were better at dispelling. There's some of it in aoS, but like in past editions, it's not exactly often meaningful enough to really be a strength as it needs some serious investment in it and still often the magic is stronger. 

And, according to the current wording, you would only get an unbind check when the Endless spell is initially cast.  Once a Endless spell is cast, they said you have to spend a casting attempt to try to unbind them in future phases.  These non-magical armies may have the ability to unbind when spells are cast, but they'll have no way to get rid of those spells once they are on the table without allies (who will likely be limited in their spellcasting).

3 minutes ago, Imperial said:

15 faction focus and only 1 about desctruction  :(

Jeah. I also find this really sad. I mean Death also only had two faction focusses.

I really hope that they will bring a focus on Destruction and did something for Destruction after all.

In the last GHB2017 they already only catered to Ironjawz players, so I hope they will also address other Destruction factions. 

Archived