Army Transport Recommendations

Bozly

So ive been transporting my armies and for big dudes with huge wings ive been putting them in big tubs lined with some extra foam. my basic guys work alright in a bag i have. I was wondering if anyone had a better way for the big guys. it hasnt happened yet but im worried about my green stuff additions or spikey bits snapping off in transport with it being pretty open. im wondering if theres a specifc transport maker or box you guys are familiar with.

So i'll run down transports, but in short that tub with tissue or foam aint half bad and other options like battle foam or plunk foam cases can improve or detract from waht you are already doing.

So casing wise you have a few options. The best one being a tray, a box/tube with foam/tissue/etc, a case with foam, a case with magnets

A tray is really just any open contrainer you throw your models in. It works great for super short distances. One of the most damaging things you can do your model is taking them in and out of any case. The more protective a casing solution is the more dangerous taking your models out of a case can actualy become. A open container with everyone standing up is relatively safe from this damage, and makes taking out and putting away your models very quick. However, for long trips where  you maybe are transporting your models in a car and you might stop suddenly, bad things can happen pretty quickly. More so if you drop said tray you again  can have a swift and dramatic in to your hobby. 

FLG glorified tray (i'm actualy thinking i might be bying this pretty soon <.< it's not bad for events):
https://store.frontlinegaming.org/frontline-gaming-flg-display-board.html

Tube/box with some sort of loose but protective subtance like packing peanuts/tissue/ foam bits/etc. This can have alot of the advantages of the above tray. As your removal of your models is swift, with some extra insurance if you should drop the case. However, for the most part this actualy isn't to disimilar from said tray above, and droping or throwing the container in any manner will likely end up with dead models. 

A case with fitted/pluck/ swiggle foam.  These are full on cases and thus can more tightly contain your models. Also the there is abit of a fine line between this and the above option as the above can become more of a case with a good strong lid and filling it to the brim with your protective subtances. These work well if you are ever in a car accident or should drop your case. As these won't suddenly end your model. However, due to the snuggish fits you do need to remove the models from the case at some point. problem being here  is that doing so too quickly or too often is bound to end up damaging some of the more fragile models. Namely spears/wings/etc can get caught in your packing subtance with out your notice and end up breaking as you remove them from said case. The fitted shape style foams or pluck forms have the added conern of potentially leaving alittle wiggle room for models to either lodge there spindle bits into said foam, or for your models to break or become damaged from wiggling about to much in there cells. This is the best case solution for armies with few spindlly bits (more a 40k thing less an AoS thing) or for more casual players who have lots of time at thier gaming venue to remoce models from thier protective housing. It's also one of the better options for travel by car or plane. 

Battle foam:
Custom (pretty good <.< but kinda killed my admech, doesn't make it bad just makes me bad): https://us.battlefoam.com/720-p-a-c-k-720-molle-custom-load-out-black/
PLuck https://us.battlefoam.com/720-p-a-c-k-720-molle-pluck-foam-load-out-black/
GW cases (i use these for my 40k armies): https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=2562756967+3631572685&Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AUS_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1524949380000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1524949380000]

The magnet option. The magnet option can be as good or better than the above 3 depending on how strong your magnets are. really gentle magnets are like slightly better trays, where as super strong magnets can be about as good as a snuggly fitted case. However, the stronger the magnet the more case again that is required to extricate your models from thier protective confines.  Also it takes abit more hobby time to magnetize all your models, and potentially more time if you go for a more build your own solution. Another danger is long term transports as keeping the models in your car or on a plane can actualy cause alot of damage even for the most tame and accident free drivers <.<. This is becuase the model under goes some rather "unatural" stress over the course of its transports. any gentle vibrations through your model can ahve the top part of the model bobbing, while the base stays firmly afixxed to it's magnet surface. This can cause odd snaps to models like prosecutors/bloodthirsters/mortis engines/morgast/ etc that can be prevented or mended with some liberal use of pinning.

examples
battle foam ( I currently use this for my daemons, works well)  https://us.battlefoam.com/720-p-a-c-k-720-molle-with-magna-rack-load-out-black/ 

table war case ( don't recommand, but you might like it, needed modification for safer car travel) http://www.tablewar.com/display-tower-full-size-case-mark-iii/

I hope this helps you decide what to do. 

I use magnets on my SCE army in a large plastic storage box. They survived a couple of two hour car journeys from Oxford to Warhammer World and back with no problems.

The only issue I have had is models "jumping"together as you move models around the battlefield or pick them up. Hasn't caused any damage but is a little annoying. Unfortunately the mouldings on the bottom of the base don't allow the magnets to be stuck in the middle of the base to solve this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

KR should totally be mentioned here:

https://www.krmulticase.com

They have a nice feature in that you can buy 1 "outer case" and then an inner cardboard box.  So you can swap boxes or not buy the outer case at all.  Their website is a ****** storm and they don't have "true" pluck foam.  I don't like them for these reasons (not a deal breaker) but people swear by the soft foam and competitive pricing as a result of separating the the fancy case from just the foam z cardboard box.  

I've heard that Battlefoam has some drama and bad customer service that have put people off.  I've personally gotten great customer service a couple times and they do have a top notch product so that is where I've put all all my chips down.  And I do mean all my chips.  If you get foam, prepare to be locked in to a particular product.  You have to jump through some hoops for them to be interchangeable.

I've tried the magnet system and have two complaints.  First, it's not full proof.  A guy in my group had his tub take a tumble down the stairs and it didn't go well.  Now I totally get that you sort of play the odds on this one, but still....   That is a bad day I want to avoid.  Second, and again- this is a bit of a personal note, I don't trust puny magnets.  But I've had problems in game with models sticking together.  This can probably be avoided with the refrigerator magnets as opposed to the rare earth ones tucked under the bases, but again, I just don't trust them.

Finally, I would say that I've seen people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on their army and countless hours but then complain about the cost of foam.  I never got this.  To me, it sounds like trying to cut a corner.  Mmimzie is the first person that I've heard advance an argument against foam that isn't just "OMG, it costs too much!"  I get this matters sometimes but it is a qualitative criticism not a quantitative one.

I've got an assortment of different transport options that I use.  At the moment, my primary method is an A+ Case with everything magnetised to the steel shelves.  I tend to also take a KR box which has a baking sheet in the bottom for my larger models (often shared with my brother).  Putting it into context, I generally use public transport to get to/from events - WHW is a 30 minute bus ride, followed by a 4 hour train journey (2 changes) and then 30 minute walk and the only time I've had a model move is when I've not put it flat on the metal sheet.

One of the biggest challenges I find with foam is that many of our models have delicate components or are pretty spiky, which mean they catch on the foam and bits can break off.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, Thebiggesthat said:

A 'really useful box' branded poly case, with the bottom lined with magnetic roll. The magnets on the bottom of all bases.

@Bozly - This is the correct answer you need!

That said, if anyone is after one of those large 720 Battlefoam cases I do have one for sale...

Archived