Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

I was going to include it at first, and if I went for Terrorgheist instead of the 4 morgjast I would have been able to fit it, but since I wanted to try out Grand Host and Morghast I decided against it. One other variation of my list I have in mind is running the balewind on the Necro with Soul Harvest to get an 18" d3 mw bubble lol with a natural +2 to cast (thanks to balewind and Sacrament allegiance) and a possible extra +1 if the mortis is close, which should be tasty to say the least haha give him the 4++ artifact for shooting and that necro is going to be crazy valuable.

One other thing I still have to work out for that list is what do I do with those extra 70 points I'd still have. The obvious answer would be to change the wight king, since he won't be doing anything really, but I'd like to be able to up the dog unit to 10, meaning 60 points are gone right off the bat. maybe another necro? The ideal would be some kind of hero that costed 130 or less so I'd be able to do the dog thing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, smucreo said:

Hahah He does love his ambushes yeah, I'd still try to stick with Sacrament/Grand Host for now since I really like Arkhan, but if they end up not working THAT well I can see myself saying ****** it and going full ambusher :D 

Certainly go Arkhan for now, Legion of Sacrement for him is really good. So is his Battalion, for me the crux is the Mortis Engine, it isn't bad, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Though having said that fans of Arkhan should go Arkhan ;) 

20 minutes ago, Killax said:

Certainly go Arkhan for now, Legion of Sacrement for him is really good. So is his Battalion, for me the crux is the Mortis Engine, it isn't bad, but I'm not a huge fan of it. Though having said that fans of Arkhan should go Arkhan ;) 

Whaaaaat you dont like the gungan shield generator!? Lol

So far im sold on 3ish lists. Grand Host + Deadmarch, Arkhan with Sacrament, and some ambushing list

3 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Whaaaaat you dont like the gungan shield generator!? Lol

So far im sold on 3ish lists. Grand Host + Deadmarch, Arkhan with Sacrament, and some ambushing list

:P Well comming from a Khorne perspective the thing I absolutely dread is Ambushing Terrorgheists dealing with a backfield Bloodsecrator. A nice aperitif.

Having said that I pretty much agree. Though don't care too much for Deadmarch. Another thing I do fear and I think all should is 6 Morghast Harbingers as a unit for Grand Host, nicely boosted with Bloodfeast. Point click, delete.

1 hour ago, Burf said:

I'd agree. And the Balewind necro is the one who gets amaranthine and some shooting protection.

Necros do not have access to Amaranthine Orb, you would need a Vampire Lord for this.

AmaOrb is the 6th spell in the Lore of Vampires and necros can pick one spell from Lore of Deathmages

Arkhan could take it, but he cannot be placed on the balewind due to having the Monster keyword.

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

:P Well comming from a Khorne perspective the thing I absolutely dread is Ambushing Terrorgheists dealing with a backfield Bloodsecrator. A nice aperitif.

Having said that I pretty much agree. Though don't care too much for Deadmarch. Another thing I do fear and I think all should is 6 Morghast Harbingers as a unit for Grand Host, nicely boosted with Bloodfeast. Point click, delete.

Thats why i said i have 3 ideas floating around. In only 6ish short hours i can download the book to the app then the real theorcrafting can begin!

I totally agree on the Morghast. My plan is to use them no matter what Legion unless its Night. Night gets ambushing TGheists but everyone else gets 4ish Morghast no matter what the build it

37 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

Wait... Can you stack the graveyard site regen? :0

Each gravesite picks one summonable unit to heal within 9".  Absolutely nothing prevents multiple gravesites from healing the same unit, provided it is within 9" of each of them.

2 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Thats why i said i have 3 ideas floating around. In only 6ish short hours i can download the book to the app then the real theorcrafting can begin!

I totally agree on the Morghast. My plan is to use them no matter what Legion unless its Night. Night gets ambushing TGheists but everyone else gets 4ish Morghast no matter what the build it

Neat! Yeah the book is full of hammers and anvils and the choice is really a visual one. One advantage that is also there for the Arkhan fans is that next to Terrorgheist and Morghast Harbingers heavyweights there are also some great middleweight options in Hexwraiths and Black Knights. These options are great also considering that the magical support can allow middleweight units to just make enough of a push and there is offcourse the added advantage that some of them are still Summonable also so that makes Necromancers stick longer on different areas too.

The only Legion I'm less certain about in terms of effectiveness is Legion of Blood. The raw power is there but there are more magical and attrition tools found in Legions of Nagash as there are raw power boosts. For that Legion to fully click a single new support Vampire could do the trick though! Something akin to re-rolling failed charges, boosting etc. A Bloodstoker basically.

You know, I'm actually reading the book right now and for each battalion there is a subtitle with the name of an allegiance, like Death, or Legion of Blood. For an example look at the image in the post. Could this mean each battalion is restricted to specific allegiances? I hope not.

1518268689109207640988.jpg

3 hours ago, smucreo said:

I was going to include it at first, and if I went for Terrorgheist instead of the 4 morgjast I would have been able to fit it, but since I wanted to try out Grand Host and Morghast I decided against it. One other variation of my list I have in mind is running the balewind on the Necro with Soul Harvest to get an 18" d3 mw bubble lol with a natural +2 to cast (thanks to balewind and Sacrament allegiance) and a possible extra +1 if the mortis is close, which should be tasty to say the least haha give him the 4++ artifact for shooting and that necro is going to be crazy valuable.

One other thing I still have to work out for that list is what do I do with those extra 70 points I'd still have. The obvious answer would be to change the wight king, since he won't be doing anything really, but I'd like to be able to up the dog unit to 10, meaning 60 points are gone right off the bat. maybe another necro? The ideal would be some kind of hero that costed 130 or less so I'd be able to do the dog thing.

You could keep a spare 60 points so you can summon up a unit of wolves near the end of the game to steal an objective away.

since it's only 60 points your opponent probably won't even expect or plan for it. 

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

You know, I'm actually reading the book right now and for each battalion there is a subtitle with the name of an allegiance, like Death, or Legion of Blood. For an example look at the image in the post. Could this mean each battalion is restricted to specific allegiances? I hope not.

1518268689109207640988.jpg

Ya. kinda of confusing. Lets say I take the allegiance Grand host of Nagash. I can use battalion Nightfall pack or I only can use The first Cohort? ? imagine the possibilities of damages. Lord of Nagashizzar +1 attack to Deathrattle, and Battlion +1 attack to Vargheists.

**********upated. Seems like the app say can use both*********

Guys, the Battalion rules arn't any different as they have been before. You have acces to the Battalion if you can fufill the unit requirements. This is the case in Chaos also where you have many Battalions that can be used criss cross and don't have anything to do with Allegiances. 

The only thing that can prefent you from doing certain things is the Mortarch rule that is applied for each Legion. Meaning you can't use Arkhan in Legion of Night or in Legion of Blood Allegiance etc. 

@smucreo you should know this aswell mate :D  This is why we can use the Warbands from the Everchosen book in the first place ;) Nurgle/Khorne isn't Everchosen or Slaves to Darkness but can use it's Battalions if you meet the unit requirements. In another example, can also be found on recent tournaments. From time to time Murderhost is also used with Grand Allegiance Chaos despite there being Khorne above the name of it. 

Just got the new battletomw and reading nagash’s new warscroll. Anyway I’m wantig to run a first cohort list at 2k and was just wondering if I’m reading his magic rules right, so if I am reading correctly does he not generate any new spells from the new lores? Instead it would appear he knows the spells of all other deathmages in the army. 

If thats correct I guess I’ll have to find the points to squeeze in a few nexromancers/vampires to tag along. Kinda hard considering he and the morghast are so expensive hah!

3 minutes ago, Nubl0 said:

Just got the new battletomw and reading nagash’s new warscroll. Anyway I’m wantig to run a first cohort list at 2k and was just wondering if I’m reading his magic rules right, so if I am reading correctly does he not generate any new spells from the new lores? Instead it would appear he knows the spells of all other deathmages in the army. 

If thats correct I guess I’ll have to find the points to squeeze in a few nexromancers/vampires to tag along. Kinda hard considering he and the morghast are so expensive hah!

You have to read the actual rulebook.

He knows 3 spells from the lores.

5 minutes ago, Burf said:

You have to read the actual rulebook.

He knows 3 spells from the lores.

I’ll give it a look, if so that’s awesome as it was a tight squeeze just to fit everything in the list. 

*edit* I’m a doofus, Just read it’s under the grand host of nagash rules.

cheers guys , 

i could use some brainstorming about my updated list for LoN .

So far i've been thinking for something like 

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Sacrement one (70)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

1650 / 2000

Logic is necro hides behind mortis engine till he can summon the vortex  and spam d3 mortal's in a wide area via Soul harvest  .  The 2 big blocks of skelies provide a solid core ,  That leaves me at 1650  points , thing is i'm kinda lost from there . I do miss something that can deal with +2 saves so probably a TG/morghast /spirithosts  would be a good idea . Or could probably switch the vamp lord for his dragon equivalent. So any thoughts ?  

1 minute ago, GonnaWorkForFood said:

cheers guys , 

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Sacrement one (70)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

1650 / 2000

Logic is necro hides behind mortis engine till he can summon the vortex  and spam d3 mortal's in a wide area via Soul harvest  .  The 2 big blocks of skelies provide a solid core ,  That leaves me at 1650  points , thing is i'm kinda lost from there . I do miss something that can deal with +2 saves so probably a TG/morghast /spirithosts  would be a good idea . Or could probably switch the vamp lord for his dragon equivalent. So any thoughts ?  

My question is, how does the balewind pair with Arkhans Command Ability? Does it first boost, and than double, or double, and then boost? Because for something like Soul Harvest, that can make the difference between (3+3=6*2) 12" vs (6+3=9*2) 18", so a whole another 6" of range.

3 minutes ago, GonnaWorkForFood said:

cheers guys , 

Leaders
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Sacrement one (70)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

1650 / 2000

Nice list, I would probably go with a zombie dragon. At the moment the list is lacking a powerful hero, or at least a distraction carnifex

Archived