Warscroll Designer (BETA)

Following on from the discussion on how people handle their warscrolls, I'm creating a dedicated Topic for the little Warscroll Designer web app I've created.  I'll keep this up to date as I update the tool and we can use this to discuss any new (or broken) features.

Warscroll Designer

Warscroll Designer has been created to allow Age of Sigmar players to generate "tabletop" friendly Warscrolls for their army rather than having to carry round large Battletomes, A4 Warscrolls or struggle with zooming on a mobile phone.  As time progresses, I'll introduce a number of new formats and layouts

HTML5_Badge_32.png The tool is currently in early BETA, which is a posh way of saying it's not finished yet and expect to find the odd bug or error.  Let me know what they are and I'll get them rectified.  This tool also requires a "modern" web browser capable of handling the latest HTML5 standards.

What the tool offers:

• Multiple layouts
  • Editable Warscroll name
  • Editable unit profile (move, save, etc)
  • Melee and Missile weapon profiles (and multiples of each)
  • Editable unit description
  • Editable rules (hornblower, banner, etc) and abilities
  • Option to mark a unit as being able to Fly
  • Text boxes have a "Clean" button, this removes line feeds and multiple spaces when pasting from a PDF
  • Save to your web browser's local storage
  • Command abilities
  • Keywords
  • Magic
  • Output in a variety of sizes in PDF and JPEG formats
  • Wounds Chart

On the short list to add are:

• Print out at correct size
  • Share warscroll link
  • Overflow to second card
  • Save to PDF
Edited by RuneBrush
  • Like 28

Questions and Answers:

Can you load it with all of the known Warscrolls?

Yes and No.  From a technical point of view I could fairly easily implement pre-population of Warscroll data, however the content of the Warscrolls is the property of Games Workshop and although they are freely available, I would need to have a conversation with Games Workshops legal team before I undertook this.  This may happen in time, but not until the tool is closer to completion.

When I go to print, it doesn't come out as expected

Erm, yes.  The size it prints out at isn't consistent with the size you select.  I need to refactor the measurement unit to consistently use mm rather than a mixture of percentage and pixels.

Edited by RuneBrush

Change Log:

21/07/16 

• Fixed an issue with loading rules (caused by tidy up)
  • Improved layout of abilities to match genuine warscrolls
  • Implemented a pre-loader
  • General improvements to style
  • Overhaul of layout change handling, should now be a lot more reliable
  • Added a basic margin functionality for the PDF generation

19/07/16

• Added the foundation part of a decent quality PDF
  • Added a new third-page format that allows 3 warscrolls on one A4 page.

07/07/16

• Warscroll Name no longer populated
  • Improved rendering of the Warscroll at load
  • Form now reset at load
  • Unit description header now displays correctly without having to change it
  • Rules & Abilities now tidy unused rows at reset or load

06/07/16

• Fixed an issue when loading abilities in a saved profile
  • Moved Missile above Melee (as it should be)
  • Added in a reset button for resetting the form

04/07/16

• Fixed an issue where Bravery and Wounds displayed the wrong way round

01/07/16

• Added the much needed save option*

30/06/16

• A6 layout now added, this is marginally longer than the large card layout
  • Fixed an issue with the description header
  • Large text blocks can now enbolden text by wrapping with the asterisk character
  • Implemented unit rules and abilities

21/06/16

• Original released
Edited by RuneBrush
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leviathus said:

Oh by the way (I was testing for a bit); if you insert values into wounds and bravery, the output is mixed up. So if you insert "10" in the Bravery box, the Wounds stats changes to 10 (and the other way around).

Nicely spotted :D  I've just fixed that and uploaded it (you may need to Ctrl+F5 to force refresh it)

• Like 1

Hi @RuneBrush.

Have had a little play, and it is really good so thanks for all the work. If I could make some suggestions they would be the following:

• Could you put missiles above melee? A very nit picky thing I just find it a bit distracting that it is the opposite way to the normal layout
  • Would it be possible to put in a button to clear all fields? Currently it is little bit fiddly to do lots of different warscrolls.
  • Last one: I have saved a warscroll with two Abilities. When I bring up the saved version I have to manually add a field to the abilities area before it will display both of them. Not sure how easy this would be to solve though?

Again, really nice work and a boon to those of us with distinctly average IT skills!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Again, really nice work and a boon to those of us with distinctly average IT skills!

Aye, awesome work on this, thanks! I've been wanting printed copies of my warscrolls to keep in one little folder for easy flicking through during games but was really dreading trying to put something together myself, so this is awesome :D 

• Like 1

Had a go wwith the tool last night, its fantastic, and will probably start transfering all the information for my new lists too it for quick access. Lets you shorthand the descriptions too so you don't need all the chaff writing which is nice :D

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I've just started looking at keywords, though need to give it a bit more thought on the best way of tackling it - doing a autocomplete tag seems like the best way, but is quite a bit of work to get it right :)

15 hours ago, StoneMonk said:

Digging this! Would love to use this along with the path to glory. quickly update/change my general's stats and abilities between gameplay.

One of my original ideas was to add in a "Name" option that will allow you to give the unit a custom name in addition to the actual unit type.  With Path to Glory being added as part of the GHb I may resurrect that idea - so you could have "Bob - Mighty Lord of Khorne" ;)

9 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Hi @RuneBrush.

Have had a little play, and it is really good so thanks for all the work. If I could make some suggestions they would be the following:

• Could you put missiles above melee? A very nit picky thing I just find it a bit distracting that it is the opposite way to the normal layout
  • Would it be possible to put in a button to clear all fields? Currently it is little bit fiddly to do lots of different warscrolls.
  • Last one: I have saved a warscroll with two Abilities. When I bring up the saved version I have to manually add a field to the abilities area before it will display both of them. Not sure how easy this would be to solve though?

Well spotted!  I've fixed all of these (Ctrl + F5 to make sure it refreshes fully).  The abilities loading was purely me naming something incorrectly and not checking it :D

• Like 1

Hi,

Really super tool. Thanks for all the effort.

A few minor points:

• Heading 'Description' doesn't appear unless you manually re-type 'Description'
  • Can you maybe add a little bit of space between the sections? - I've taken to adding a line with a full stop in order to create breathing room, otherwise it's all a bit cramped.

How are you going to handle Warscrolls that are full page?

Ta,

Pete

• Like 1

I've just rolled out an update with a few fixes.  I think I've resolved the issue where the card would occasionally not be tall enough when you first load, resulting in you having to refresh the page.  A few people with old browsers may however find this hasn't worked - please let me know!

I have also noticed an issue with the print format, in that it didn't actually size properly.  The issue is related to the way browsers scale the content for print and I hope to have a resolution soon.

23 hours ago, pforson said:
  • Heading 'Description' doesn't appear unless you manually re-type 'Description'
  • Can you maybe add a little bit of space between the sections? - I've taken to adding a line with a full stop in order to create breathing room, otherwise it's all a bit cramped.

I've fixed these two items, let me know if the gap between sections is enough.

23 hours ago, pforson said:

How are you going to handle Warscrolls that are full page?

Not a clue yet :D  My hope is that once they hit the limit of the card I can get it to automatically scroll onto a new one.  That also reminds me that I need to do a wounds chart too

• Like 1

The issue with printing has now been resolved and everything should render nicely and print out at the designated mm size :)  Printing does need some improvement which I'll tackle at some point - likely at the same time as handling multiple Warscrolls on a single sheet.  I may add an A5 size too as that could well be quite useful.  That said, that's all for another day - unlikely to do any further changes until next week now!

• 2 weeks later...

Just done a bit of an update, it's now possible to generate an A4 PDF page with a single warscroll on!  This should be a pretty decent quality version (easily good enough to print out).  I've added in a third of an A4 layout size.

One pretty large "under the bonnet" change is I've modified the zoom component.  Originally the card was rendered huge (300dpi) and then shrunk down (hence the zoom being at 30% initially), this didn't actually work when I joined it up to the PDF tool so I've had to reverse that and instead scale it up to 300dpi when I generate the PDF.  The only thing you should notice is that the zoomer now starts at 95% and goes up to 150% :)

And another update.

I've added page margins for the PDF and added various graphics to make it look a little less like a dogs dinner.  I've also properly fixed the abilities bug where they wouldn't reload from a saved profile.  Abilities also display more like a GW Warscroll - so they're headed up with Abilities and each ability is inline with the descriptive text rather than a heading above it.

Keywords are likely to be the next update as this will make the tool useful for games.

Edited by RuneBrush

Very quick update (managed to knock this out in my lunch).

I've branded up the web application with 'unofficial' and a GW disclaimer as I realised I'd not done it (and don't want to get in trouble after all).

I have also implemented the initial part of Keywords!  This is currently quite limited and you can only select from my pre-defined list which is exclusively Chaos at the moment.  I have added in some advanced pre-population however - for example if you select "Khorne Bloodbound" it will also add the Khorne and Chaos keywords :)  I think I've managed to get everything worked out for Chaos but it'll need the other GA's added - of which I will likely need a bit of help.  The new Generals Handbook keywords of "Leader" and "Behemoth" are there too.

Have a play and let me know any issues.  I know the display of the keywords on the Warscroll does need a little improvement

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

What format would you need the other keywords in etc?

They're in a bizarre JSON format currently, I'll post up what I've got so people can see how important tackling it :)

I'm currently toying with the thought of pre-populating all of the Warscroll names with keywords but not sure if that would be useful or crossing the line on IP?

On 22/07/2016 at 3:45 PM, Bowlzee said:

What format would you need the other keywords in etc?

Here's how it's currently formatted.  This hooks in with a fuzzy lookup routine which provides the autocomplete functionality :)

{
	"ga": {
		"chaos": {"name": "Chaos"},
		"death": {"name": "Death"},
		"destr": {"name": "Descruction"},
		"order": {"name": "Order"},
		"scenery": {"name": "Scenery"}
	},
	"matched": {
		"leader": {"name": "Leader"},
		"behemoth": {"name": "Behemoth"},
		"artillery": {"name": "Artillery"},
		"batt": {"name": "Warscroll Battalion"}
	},
	"allegiance": {
		"khorne": {"name": "Khorne", "ga": "chaos"},
		"nurgle": {"name": "Nurgle", "ga": "chaos"},
		"tzeentch": {"name": "Tzeentch", "ga": "chaos"},
		"slaneesh": {"name": "Slaneesh", "ga": "chaos"},
		"skaven": {"name": "Skaven", "ga": "chaos"},
		"zharrgo": {"name": "Zharr Goroth", "ga": "chaos"},
		"build": {"name": "Building", "ga": "scenery"}
	},
	"faction": {
		"bloodbound": {"name": "Khorne Bloodbound", "allegiance": "khorne"},
		"slaves": {"name": "Slaves to Darkness", "ga": "chaos"},
		"rotbringer": {"name": "Rotbringer", "allegiance": "nurgle"},
		"tamhorde": {"name": "Tamurkhan's Horde", "allegiance": "nurgle"},
		"mastclan": {"name": "Masterclan", "allegiance": "skaven"},
		"pestilens": {"name": "Pestilens", "allegiance": "nurgle"},
		"verminus": {"name": "Verminus", "ga": "chaos"},
		"eshin": {"name": "Eshin", "ga": "chaos"},
		"skryre": {"name": "Skryre", "allegiance": "skaven"},
		"moulder": {"name": "Moulder", "allegiance": "skaven"},
		"legazg": {"name": "Legion of Azgorh", "allegiance": "zharrgo"}
	},
	"unit": {
		"bloodletter": {"name": "Bloodletter", "allegiance": "khorne"},
		"plaguebearer": {"name": "Plaguebearer", "allegiance": "nurgle"},
		"horror": {"name": "Horror", "allegiance": "tzeentch"},
		"flamer": {"name": "Flamer", "allegiance": "tzeentch"},
		"daemonette": {"name": "Daemonette", "allegiance": "slaneesh"},
		"dogre": {"name": "Dragon Ogre"},
		"duardin": {"name": "Duardin"},
		"ogor": {"name": "Ogor"},
		"trog": {"name": "Troggoth"},
		"gargant": {"name": "Gargant"},
		"greyseer": {"name": "Grey Seer", "allegiance": "skaven"},
		"skavwar": {"name": "Skaven Warlord", "allegiance": "skaven", "faction": "verminus"},
		"warlocken": {"name": "Warlock Engineer", "faction": "verminus"},
		"packmast": {"name": "Packmaster", "faction": "moulder", "tags": ["hero"]},
		"plaguepriest": {"name": "Plague Priest", "faction": "pestilens", "allegiance": "skaven", "tags": ["priest","hero"]},
		"skaass": {"name": "Skaven Assassin", "faction": "eshin", "allegiance": "skaven", "tags": ["hero"]},
		"bahai": {"name": "Ba'hai", "allegiance": "leg"}
	},
	"tags": {
		"hero": {"name": "Hero"},
		"daemon": {"name": "Daemon"},
		"monst": {"name": "Monster"},
		"wiz": {"name": "Wizard"},
		"human": {"name": "Human"},
		"mortal": {"name": "Mortal"},
		"celst": {"name": "Celestial"},
		"totem": {"name": "Totem"},
		"priest": {"name": "Priest"},
		"mach": {"name": "War Machine"},
		"crew": {"name": "Crew"},
		"dragon": {"name": "Dragon"}
	}
}

Hi all :)

Was just having a think about the best way to tackle Warscroll sharing.  My original thought of a copy/paste link isn't going to work very well, with just some filler text the "optimised" link is around 1800 characters long :|  So I'm thinking about alternatives.

One option is a "free-for-all" that simply saves the Warscroll and gives you a link.  All well and dandy but you'd have no way of ever editing it and it's always open to abuse...

Another option would be to allow you to log in using Facebook or Google, and your Warscrolls are saved alongside your login.  Not everybody has FB or Google though and some people (e.g. me) are quite apprehensive about signing in on an insecure website for what is in essence a novelty.

I could hook registration into my blog - so you could sign up there but it means another account in a world where every website needs a different log in.

Final option would be to enter your e-mail address and get sent the sharing & editing link (or something along these lines).  This would actually be the easiest but would people be happy at doing this?  Again there could be questions over data entry security.

Thoughts?  Happy to take suggestions too!