How do you handle all your Warscrolls?

3 hours ago, Brunel.Richard said:

I've made these for all the units in my army. They are standard playing card sized so I've just printed this out and put them in those plastic sleeves used for MtG and the like.

Much easier than stuffing around with the app or the books or having reams of printed warscrolls on the table. It also does not clutter up the table and is easy to just pick the cards for the army in using and put the rest away.  

That's a really nice format!  Very tempted to pilfer it if that's OK?

5 hours ago, Brunel.Richard said:

I've made these for all the units in my army. They are standard playing card sized so I've just printed this out and put them in those plastic sleeves used for MtG and the like.

AoSPalyingJPEG.jpg

Much easier than stuffing around with the app or the books or having reams of printed warscrolls on the table. It also does not clutter up the table and is easy to just pick the cards for the army in using and put the rest away.  

Is this in a format you can share?

Here's an initial playing card sized attempt.  In theory it'd be possible to produce a set of these as properly printed playing cards for sale - however I've a feeling that would cross the narrow line of "profiteering" and fall foul of IP rules (quite rightly).

I think the keywords need shunting to the top like @Brunel.Richard has done

Capture.JPG

Here's what I've cobbled together so far.  It's pretty big because it contains all of the necessary fonts and a few bigish images, there are two HTML files one for the A4 list and one for the playing card sized one.  Still very WIP and likely be changed and improved :)

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the imagery in this - they have been extracted from various epubs that I own.  Please do not distribute this as your own work, sell it or otherwise be a douche.

WarscrollBuilder.zip

@RuneBrush feel free to steal whatever you want. I put the Keywords up the top purely to save space down the bottom so I could make the abilities more readable and to try to get all the rules on one side of the card. 

@Shane Happy to share it but it is an InDesign 6 file so not an easy format to use unless you have InDesign. I'll post it Monday once I'm back at my desktop. 

Cheers :)  Having played a few games the past weekend I'm currently thinking that a Warscroll the same size as one of the character cards in Silver Tower could be the most versatile - at least with the area I've been playing in at home.

This would put the Warscroll roughly twice the size as a regular playing card, so have enough space for both stats, keywords and abilities for normal units.  Monsterous Creatures (which have the depreciating scale chart) would likely need to use the back for all of their abilities.

Biggest question for me is if I should build this as a Web App, or simply create them as a PDF.  Both have merits - if you wish to have them printed onto card yourself you'd need 300dpi images (i.e. PDF) but if you're doing them on your home printer then you can get away with a web 72dpi...

As i have not played many games the other week i found myself looking through the app so often it slowed the gameplay down.  I have always used a spreadsheet programme for my armies either excel or google docs.   I find this easy to sumarise the rules, if there are any particular ones then they can be looked up at the appropriate time on the app.  It made the game quicker for me as instead of looking up a unit each time it had to move or fight i only looked for the special rules.

This also has the benefit that i can with a little work on my part hide rows to keep out the clutter of units i am not using.  Is it user friendly, not especially, but as i am only playing once a month it works ok for me.

summary sheet.JPG

14 hours ago, pforson said:

Has anyone attempted just printing the Warscrolls out at A5 size and putting them in a folder?

Are they still readable at this size?

If you do a straight forward "shrink", I think the text could be pretty illegible - especially for the ones that have a background graphic.  If you print the A4 one out and chop of the top half (i.e. the picture) then I think that would work without too many problems :)

I'm going to try cropping the frame off in order to keep the text as large as possible and print at A5. I like the pictures and it will make it easier for the occasional Warscroll that uses the whole page for abilities etc.

Like this:

aos-warscroll-clanrats-en-1_3.png

More for my own use than anything else, I've started to knock out a Warscroll Designer: http://runebrush.pa-sy.com/warscroll/

It does the following:

• Styled for a "large playing card" - 146mm x 89mm
  • Editable warscroll name
  • Editable profile (move, save etc)
  • Melee and missile weapon profiles - add as many as you want of both!
  • Editable description
  • You can flag a model as being able to fly
  • Clean button on text boxes - removes line feeds and multiple spaces for tidying up when pasting from a PDF
  • Looks like a dogs dinner - this is a early mock folks, not a premium package ;)

There are obviously a lot of things that it doesn't do...:

• Editable rules (hornblower, banner etc)
  • Editable abilities
  • Command abilities
  • Magic
  • Keywords
  • Second card
  • Saving
  • Straight to PDF

It also won't work on old browsers as it uses newer things like columns.

I will add some form of save into it as I think it's pretty important and a pain without it, most likely it'll just be to local storage.  In theory I could add in pre-population of Warscrolls, however I fully expect to receive a slap from GW if I did this!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 5:31 PM, RuneBrush said:

More for my own use than anything else, I've started to knock out a Warscroll Designer: http://runebrush.pa-sy.com/warscroll/large-card.html

It does the following:

• Styled for a "large playing card" - 146mm x 89mm
  • Editable warscroll name
  • Editable profile (move, save etc)
  • Melee and missile weapon profiles - add as many as you want of both!
  • Editable description
  • You can flag a model as being able to fly
  • Clean button on text boxes - removes line feeds and multiple spaces for tidying up when pasting from a PDF
  • Looks like a dogs dinner - this is a early mock folks, not a premium package ;)

There are obviously a lot of things that it doesn't do...:

• Editable rules (hornblower, banner etc)
  • Editable abilities
  • Command abilities
  • Magic
  • Keywords
  • Second card
  • Saving
  • Straight to PDF

It also won't work on old browsers as it uses newer things like columns.

I will add some form of save into it as I think it's pretty important and a pain without it, most likely it'll just be to local storage.  In theory I could add in pre-population of Warscrolls, however I fully expect to receive a slap from GW if I did this!

This is amazing! Thanks for your efforts in this :)

Thanks.  I've just done a quick update which has added A6 layout, fixed an issue with the description text, added in unit rules (horn blower, icon bearer etc) and abilities.

You can also use stars to highlight bold words in the text :)

27 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Thanks.  I've just done a quick update which has added A6 layout, fixed an issue with the description text, added in unit rules (horn blower, icon bearer etc) and abilities.

You can also use stars to highlight bold words in the text :)

Not sure whether it's a Chrome issue, but I can't see any text from abilities etc until i change the card layout drop down menu. Then shows for both sizes.

EDIT: Tricksy, it's working now

13 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

Not sure whether it's a Chrome issue, but I can't see any text from abilities etc until i change the card layout drop down menu. Then shows for both sizes.

EDIT: Tricksy, it's working now

Sounds like it had cached some of the old scripts - I find Chrome can be notorious for doing that :( 

On 6/21/2016 at 10:12 AM, pforson said:

I'm going to try cropping the frame off in order to keep the text as large as possible and print at A5. I like the pictures and it will make it easier for the occasional Warscroll that uses the whole page for abilities etc.

Like this:

aos-warscroll-clanrats-en-1_3.png

If you wanted, you could always print the picture on the back of the warscroll :)

I've just done another update which will allow you to save to your browser's local storage.  I'm off home shortly (yay for early finish Friday) so once I get home I'm going to set up a new post for the warscroll designer so we can continue using this one for talking about how everyone handles warscrolls :)

Personally I'm not massive on taking material with me to club nights as I've gotta get on the tube at rush hour with a heavy enough bag. 

Whilst I'm a big fan of the GA books and battletomes, I just use the app for games. If I'm bringing a formation I might bring the battletome with me or just take a picture of the formation for reference. 

• 1 year later...

For warscrolls (and other similar things) I use a program called Magic Set Editor, witch is normally used to create custom "Magic: The Gathering" cards,  and a custom template that I found browing in this site/forum:

I write (or more simply copy / paste) the official warscrolls and fix the typos, then I print 4 cards per sheet, cut them, fold them and place them inside a card sleeve with another card (I use cheap Magic cards) to give them  some strenght.

Here I attached some examples (yes, I play Stormcasts) for some warscolls, a warscroll battalion and a generic info card.

LIBERATORS.jpg

LORD-CELESTANT.jpg

THUNDERHEAD BROTHERHOOD.jpg

PRAYERS OF THESTORMHOST.jpg

Archived