Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess there is more coming and 2018 is more of an AoS year. Still I would have prefered, that they would have waited till after the Nurgle release and do like a big bang kind of release with maybe the new Death army.

I am curious for the rules of the rereleased Building. I hope that it is not to order specific.

1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

So only a new campaign and 1 scenery/terrain that allready existed. Nothing special. Really dissapointed... nothing for competive games or games with points. 

At least nothing we know of yet. Might still come with the book.

Reasoning behind that: They want everybody to buy it.

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

So only a new campaign and 1 scenery/terrain that allready existed. Nothing special. Really dissapointed... nothing for competive games or games with points.  Always the same. Age of hope is dead, yeah youre right.

i mean.. we're not even an hour into it, nurgle hasnt been released.... chill your stuff dude

I'm bit disappointed as well. And it's not (just) because of lack of new models/etc., it's because they literally showed us nothing new or important information. What kind of campaign book is this, how does the campaign work, when will it release, will it have effect/impact on matched play, etc. Etc. I see 0 reason why they had to make this into some countdown. Was that countdown time it took them to setup webpage? Oh well, whatever. Guess we'll have to wait the next countdown for even more trivial info.

5 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

So only a new campaign and 1 scenery/terrain that allready existed. Nothing special. Really dissapointed... nothing for competive games or games with points. 

I see 3 old towers as scenery pieces in the "Malign Portents: Behind the Scenes" video:

1) Skullvane Manse / Lair of the Astromancer

2) Deathknell Watch

3) Dreadstone Blight

lol i knew this would happen. 

all the death players expecting a massive new range of models and back story etc etc. 

nurgle has literally.. just been announced. its not even up for preorder yet and you all want death models, releases, rules, points etc etc. 

chill... its comming. 

Well that's disappointing... yeah okay the whole "explore the Realms"  is cool (I wish we had this sooner but hey), the extra bits of background for the champions are nice but...i expected something more.

I don't know maybe explaining what is Nagash's plan ! What can we expect for Malign Portent  and where does it leads us ? I mean we don't even know what it is, do we ?

Oh and the Knight of Shroud is a Nighthaunt...so no Deathrattle this year I guess ?

Excuse my english

2 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

lol i knew this would happen. 

all the death players expecting a massive new range of models and back story etc etc. 

nurgle has literally.. just been announced. its not even up for preorder yet and you all want death models, releases, rules, points etc etc. 

chill... its comming. 

Yeah soon as they announced nurgle for christmas I knew the wait will be a bit longer. Honestly listening to the knight of shrouds background made me think of starting a new death army. 

5 minutes ago, Harioch said:

Well that's disappointing... yeah okay the whole "explore the Realms"  is cool (I wish we had this sooner but hey), the extra bits of background for the champions are nice but...i expected something more.

I don't know maybe explaining what is Nagash's plan ! What can we expect for Malign Portent  and where does it leads us ? I mean we don't even know what it is, do we ?

Oh and the Knight of Shroud is a Nighthaunt...so no Deathrattle this year I guess ?

Excuse my english

I wouldn't rule anything out for this year. It has just begun.

I already hate this book. 'Supplemental rules content' is GW speak for 'either ban it or let it destroy matched play'. If it had been a whole lot of build-up for nothing that would have been one thing, but this is going to be actively detrimental to the game the same way the first 2 weeks of firestorm were(which resulted in pretty much blanket tournament banning)

2 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

I already hate this book. 'Supplemental rules content' is GW speak for 'either ban it or let it destroy matched play'. If it had been a whole lot of build-up for nothing that would have been one thing, but this is going to be actively detrimental to the game the same way the first 2 weeks of firestorm were(which resulted in pretty much blanket tournament banning)

You haven’t even seen the book yet...

Just now, AthlorianStoners said:

You haven’t even seen the book yet...

You're right, it could also have no rules content intended for matched play so as to be irrelevant to matched play, which would be the better of the two options. Because there are only 2 options. As much as GW have been doing better over the past little while, they are still GW.

14 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Sorry but we are like 20 aos players in our store, and no one is interested in narrative games. Its nice to know something about the lore of aos, but no one, really nooo one needs a countdown to get informations about the lore.... 

I'm amazed that your group is so narrowly focused. None interested in narrative gaming?

GW just said this on FB in response to a complaint about the lack of new models:

There's plenty more to show you soon, Oliver, don't worry.
Malign Portents is the start of some exciting times for the Mortal Realms.

Also:

Hey Matt,
Malign Portents is lots of things - it's everything you said and more.
It's a new narrative chapter for Warhammer Age of Sigmar. It's a campaign. It's new fiction. There will be books. There will be models. There will be changes to the shape of the Mortal Realms. You will not be disappointed.

In this context, 'everything you said and more' refers to "A single battletome or a series of books? A Season of War campaign? A boxed set?"

So it sounds like there's a lot to come.

I'm really happy with this. A detailed lore refresh is really welcome, and I love the new art and tone. Excited to see what comes next. I can understand why competitive players would like something crunchier, but honestly my experience with AoS has only improved the further I've moved away from matched play. More stuff to plan narrative games with is exactly what I wanted.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/04/malign-portents-the-time-is-nighgw-homepage-post-1/

"While the website is a great way to get started, you’ll want to get your hands on the Malign Portents book in the coming months to help guide you through this tumultuous time."

"There’s something for every player, whether you’re looking for a narrative hook for your next campaign or new tactical challenges in matched play."

First look at the book!

AoSMalignPortents-Book1rw-475x500.jpg

Archived