Hordes of Corsairs are still the way to go. Or at least that’s what I’ll be playing. 

Things that jump out initially at me are: 

Vitrioc Spray making rend totally unnecessary and the huge numbers of attacks you can get from a horde of corsairs incredible. They didn’t get buffs to hit or wound but throwing another attack on them from a Fleetmaster and generating large numbers of wounds should do great work. With that power it favors large numbers of weaker attacks than it does more quality ones. 

And most important in my opinion is the command ability. Keep a unit of 10-20 handbow corsairs wrapped around a fleetmaster just behind a unit or 2 of 40 more corsairs in combat. String the handbow unit out and pick them. You should be able to cover huge amounts of the board as other units benefit from battleshock immunity as long as they are wholly within even just 1 model from the handbow unit. Solves the issue of your corsairs running in the first round of combat and you only need 1 CP a turn to keep them all in the fight instead of 1 per unit. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

also the wound characteristic improved

What do you mean? I just checked and they still have 2 wounds per model (same as before).

Edit: you probably mean their Save characteristic improved instead of Wound.

Edited by The Golem

1 hour ago, Rhivan said:

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on Drakespawn Knights? They seem durable but overall eh in damage potential (at least from what I've been reading) 

Beyond that what are some combos/builds you guys are interested in?

They‘re rubbish. The damage is the worst of all melee cavalry (See CoS Thread Mathhammer) and The costs for them are astronomical (170?/5). If they had 2-3 melee attacks each they might be worth that many points, as they are now they just eat almost 200 points while giving you nada. Even buffed up they‘re still behind other melee cav.

summed up:

costs: F-

damage E

tankiness: B+

Bodies (which you need to hold objective) : E-

i‘d advise to switch to wild riders or the likes.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

ok lets compare:

old warscroll: 140 points

old.PNG.6b4b9e49f41561fdd0ce7f4d6d318261.PNG

new warscroll: 170 points (?)

new.PNG.581914858e6bb7d2b78c8345d3e456eb.PNG

while playing the Knights (and after damage calculation) I liked the  damage. What I always missed was the rend on the Knights. So would we pay 30 points more for a unit of 5 Knights to get a -2 rend and 2 damage weapon on the charge? I totally would. 

just for the mind games take 15 Knights and pay 90 points more (so we leave 10 Dreadspears behind in our army list). Personally I like more expensive cav units anyway. It is less about efficiency pointwise. For me it is important to have a Knight unit that can crush their targets in one round of combat. The new rules look better to me. 

PS: if I remember correctly they got a point decrease in GH2019 for the time between the last Handbook and Cities of Sigmar. 120 Points I guess. 

Edited by Kaleun
  • Confused 1

@Kaleun

I looked it up it is 170 points for 5.

conparing their old cost (which were overcosted) to the new ones win‘t Give you reliable data.

the u it you describe Propably wo ‚t Kill much. Assuming you‘d get all 15 to attack (very unlikely due to their footprint) you‘d have 16 attacks, already underwhelmed?  They‘d do 10.66 wounds with their lances (assuming the enemy‘s armor was 5+). The mounts would do 6.6667 dmg which leaves you with a total of 17.33 dmg for which you spent 510 points. (That‘s almost a Hearthguard deathstar)

Same example with 10 wild riders (240 pts) would do 14  wounds, their mounts would do 3.33 wounds which is a total of 17. 33 wounds for 240 points. 15 Riders (360 pts) would do 21.49 wounds.

Drakespawn Knights are rubbish - sadly, I wished they were better.

Anvilguard from Aqshy has the following artefacts from Malign Portents:

Aqshy

• Weapons

1. Ruby Ring. In your hero phase, you can pick the nearest enemy unit within 18" and a die. On a 5+, you do D3 mortal wounds. If two units are equally close, pick one.

2. Magmaforged Blade. Pick one melee weapon. If the wound roll for that weapon is 6+, that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound in addition to its normal damage.

3. Magmadroth Blood Vials. In your shooting phase, pick an enemy unit within 8" and roll a die. 4+ do 1 mortal wound.

4. Purefire Brazier. In your shooting phase, roll a die for each enemy unit within 9". On a 5+ do 1 mortal wound to that unit.

5. Onyx Blade. Pick one melee weapon. It gets +1 to-wound.

6. Exile Torch. At the start of the combat phase, pick an enemy hero within 3" and roll a die. On a 6+, that hero takes a mortal wound and may not fight or be chosen as the target of an attack.

• Relics

1. Essence of Vulcatrix. Once per battle, at the start of your hero phase. Roll a die. On a 1, take D3 mortal wounds. On a 2+, get +1 to hit and wound until next hero phase.

2. Thermalrider Cloak. +4" Movement and can fly.

3. Smouldering Helm. During the combat phase, each save of 6+ deals 1 mortal wound to the attacker.

4. Ignax's Scales. Negate mortal wounds on a 4+.

5. Crown of Flames. +1 Bravery to allies wholly within 9".

6. Cleansing Brooch. Once per battle, at the start of the hero phase, you can heal D3.

-> Also Assassines could be a thing to boost the Damage output of certain units if needed. There are some nice artefacts for the assassin like the Ghyrstrike (Pick a melee weapon to be: +1 to hit and wound), if you make the Assassins origin from city compatible with Ghyran. This would result in 6 attacks hit and wound on 2+ with -1 rend and D3 mortal wounds per 6 on hit. 

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at assassins as well. They will be a nice addition to units of corsairs who may struggle against small based tough characters where you can’t get 10+ corsairs into combat. 

Im not familiar yet with how the cities all interact with each other so I don’t know how you get one from Ghyran to help out Anvilguard but I think they will be good enough to take without the artifacts. I’ll probably end up running 2-3 at a time. 

1 hour ago, CommodoreCass said:

I would like to start an Anvilguard Army but I dont own CoS BT for now. What units can I choose to be fluff and have a regular Anvilguard Army :

-Scourge Privateers and Order Serpentis or only Scourge Privateers (Wich is basically only 4 entries)?

All units can be in and Anvilgard army and I'm sure most of them will be represented in the fluff. But the Anvilgard battalion consists of:

1 Black Ark Fleetmaster, 3 units Black Ark Corsairs, 1-3 Scourgerunner Chariots, 0-1 Kharibdyss.

What do you think about the Drakespawn and Scourgerunner chariots?

The Scourgerunners seem ok for their points, but have a very strange rule where only one model in a unit can be upgraded, so they are best taken in singles.
The Drakespawn seem quite nice on paper, but it would suck to get get counter charged with them. The MW's (and good looking models) make them seem very tempting to me though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDD said:

What do you think about the Drakespawn and Scourgerunner chariots?

The Scourgerunners seem ok for their points, but have a very strange rule where only one model in a unit can be upgraded, so they are best taken in singles.
The Drakespawn seem quite nice on paper, but it would suck to get get counter charged with them. The MW's (and good looking models) make them seem very tempting to me though.

In my opinion the scourgerunners are more useful as gigantic screens. The board control they have is insane. Their base size means that you can control huge amounts of the board, for fairly cheap.

Especially if you run them as units of 1, you should be able to position them to block off most things. Who cares if your chariots die if they absorb a *pick your favorite bully unit* charge. I think they are going to be a way to get corsairs* up into combat at closer to full strength size. Put the chariots in front of the corsairs, and deliver them into your opponent. 

Their shooting is nothing to write home about, but that's not what they are really there for. Taking singles not only for  the bonus as the unit leader but also as an even better screen is the best bet as well. I think I'll be going with a MSU style with these guys, mostly so I can feed sub - 100 point units into the opponent all game. 

Particularly with the command trait, this army is going to be built around attrition. I really don't think I'll be able to lose the 160 corsairs I'm planning in most games, and I image having 4 cheap chariots will help with that as well. 

*Or whatever you'll be running

Edited by Ignatius "Nate" T
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 5:13 AM, Ignatius "Nate" T said:

Hordes of Corsairs are still the way to go. Or at least that’s what I’ll be playing. 

Things that jump out initially at me are: 

Vitrioc Spray making rend totally unnecessary and the huge numbers of attacks you can get from a horde of corsairs incredible. They didn’t get buffs to hit or wound but throwing another attack on them from a Fleetmaster and generating large numbers of wounds should do great work. With that power it favors large numbers of weaker attacks than it does more quality ones. 

And most important in my opinion is the command ability. Keep a unit of 10-20 handbow corsairs wrapped around a fleetmaster just behind a unit or 2 of 40 more corsairs in combat. String the handbow unit out and pick them. You should be able to cover huge amounts of the board as other units benefit from battleshock immunity as long as they are wholly within even just 1 model from the handbow unit. Solves the issue of your corsairs running in the first round of combat and you only need 1 CP a turn to keep them all in the fight instead of 1 per unit. 

Phoenician Corsairs hit hard and hit guaranteed with the Pheonician CA. Legit tactic imo.

Also, someone said corsairs are 80/240 (10/40). Can anyone confirm if the discount for 40 is 240 or 280?

28 minutes ago, soots said:

Phoenician Corsairs hit hard and hit guaranteed with the Pheonician CA. Legit tactic imo.

Also, someone said corsairs are 80/240 (10/40). Can anyone confirm if the discount for 40 is 240 or 280?

I’ve been checking out the combos from every city for corsairs. Anvilguard jumps out because of the two things I listed as well as the battalion but who knows what I’ll end up going with. 

And they were 80/240 before cities as scourge privateers. Haven’t seen anything about it yet but yes. They used to be and hopefully still are buy 30 get 10 free 

5 hours ago, InterrogatingTheCat said:

Not sure if anyone's already had this idea, but putting the Venomblade artefact onto an Assassin makes him into a damn good hero killer. Each wound roll of a 6 would be causing 2D3 mortal wounds

Well spotted 👍

What is everyone planning to use as a General? Fleetmaster?

Adjutant? Fleetmaster or a sorceress?

Retinue? Corsairs? Or Blackguard to get buffed from the sorceress?

Im planning on starting an Anvilgard army.  I want to go with big packs of Corsairs, many Kharibdyss and charriot running around. Fleetmaster and a Sorceress as character. What do you think of this?

someone told me Corsairs were one of the worst line of AoS and I already bought my Start Collecting.

Edited by CommodoreCass
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CommodoreCass said:

Im planning on starting an Anvilgard army.  I want to go with big packs of Corsairs, many Kharibdyss and charriot running around. Fleetmaster and a Sorceress as character. What do you think of this?

someone told me Corsairs were one of the worst line of AoS and I already bought my Start Collecting.

That’s my plan too.

A few posts up in this thread Ignatius suggests using the chariots as a screen which advances before your corsairs, which sounds good. They are cheap. 

Keep them as individual chariots and each becomes a squad leader with better shooting.

And if your fleetmasters survive then when the corsairs hit they can do so with bonus attacks.

I’m thinking of running some dark riders for added speed and Bravery lowering, and some shadow warriors deepstriking to cause what delays/havoc I can.

Perhaps a sorceress and a big block of Dark Shards for a firebase?

Edited by Kierdale