Wanderer Themed Hurricanum - WIP - C&C Welcome!

Tidings

Hey guys, here's my project to make a custom Wanderer-themed Celestial Hurricanum. I started planning this project a while ago, and despite the Hurricanum going up in points, I still think it's extremely good. But not only does the official model not match my Wanderers at all, I don't even think it looks good. So I set out to make my own!

I made a custom Warscroll for it, leaving the rules/keywords exactly as they are, but changing the names and fluff. The point of this was not just to be super nerdy and fluffy, it was also to help inspire the model and come up with something that makes sense while being very different from the official model. 

I also wanted to reuse models that are now useless since the Wanderer keyword was dropped from half my army *grumble*. The wolves were Orion's hunting hounds before, and the Warhawk is one I hadn't gotten around to painting and would otherwise abandon now. Finally, I have a lot of converted Waywatchers that are a kitbash of Wildwood Rangers and Glade Guard. Figured one of those will make a good starting point for the character. 

Here's some pics and the custom Warscroll, let me know what you think! Please note that the base is the wrong size, I'm picking up the correct one as soon as I can.

There will be moar leaves. :D

gEZDPF1.jpg

Testing a different Waywatcher pose

iI0mTRZ.jpg

The diving warhawk

bttzyd4.jpg

I drilled holes through the first branch and into the second. It sits very firmly in place, so I won't even need to glue it. That way I can take it out and play the rules without the battlemage if I want (the hawk represents the comet spell)

i1M1QsB.jpg

Finally, a moment of silence for my poor bases. I put a lot of love into them and there was no way to get the wolves off without destroying either their feet or the base. :(

OlvilAZ.jpg

Here's the fluffy Warscroll

vqIqZOo.jpg

Hope y'all enjoy, please leave any feedback you have before I start gluing! :D

9 minutes ago, Yeled said:

Love the warscroll! I'm pretty sure I can convince my local group that it's official. (I just need you to change the keywords to aelves and wanderers ;) ).

Ha! I'm not trying to trick anyone, just making it more fluffy for myself. Noticed a few names/abilities I forgot to change in the paragraphs.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more WIP pics! Been building up the different color tones in the rocks and tree, trying to get subtle greens, reds and muddy browns to show nicely. Hope you like the progress! 

Pretty happy with the stone, working on the base before adding leaves to the tree, which will hide most of my hard work lol
LZ6TUSR.jpg

A look at the other side
MTsfVKD.jpg

Starting to put some of the leaves on. Was originally planning to put LOTS of leaves on but now I don't want to hide the base of the tree so much... :/
x5MgOCn.jpg

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yet you are not using his model? He seems like a good "mass" to build around. Maybe better than the moving tree. Love your paint job tough.

No, I didn't want to use Orion. If you think that's a better way to go than what I did then you're free to do it yourself! He is a dead character from an outdated game, and the generic version for him is a different unit that will probably never be played. Despite him fitting well for this I still wanted to avoid confusion where possible. If I were to use Orion as another model, I might consider him for a Wood Elf themed Celestant Prime. 

On top of that, the fluff I wrote for this model is based around a very old Wood Elf character that old-school fans might remember - Thalandor, aka "Doom Star". I wanted this to be a mystery of whether he is Thalandor himself, somehow survived, or a descendant of Thalandor. 

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback/compliments everyone! I'll update with more pictures soon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

@Tidings I think we are due an update Mr T, I suspect it's finished as you used one in the tournament this weekend just gone? I'm not stalking you honest:D 

If I may be so bold, may post a pic of my wanderer themed Hurricanum when I finally start it? I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive. I know others on the wanderer thread are planning Wanderer conversions of their own so it would be nice to post pics of them all here for inspiration. Not to hijack of course.... Well ok to Hijack but in the nicest possible way :D

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I took a break for a while but I'm getting back to painting! Here's a ****** cellphone pic of my Hurricanum in its current state. Still need to finish basing it, which includes deciding on whether to get a new Nomad Prince to use, or just making it modular with the magnet. 

zjm17ci.jpg

GNHNR51.jpg

Nice quick update of this post! really like the autumn theme and love the work you have done on that Nomad prince's spear. Planing to do something similar (it has been a WIP for months) but using one of the spellweaver models to make it seems like the mage and the tree are being empowered by each other.

Archived