My analysis about Death in GH2017

deynon

I realised some video about the new allegiances in GH2017, I'm still waiting the eventual compendium before creating my final opinions for this new release.

In the while you can share with me the opinions about them.

GH2017 review

Grand Allegiance Death:

Flesh Eater courts:

NIghtHaunt:

Soulblight:

Do you share my thoghts about? Or no?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These were certainly not the changes I expected.

ROTN nerf is reasonable. And the other Command Traits don't look so good now. This means that using a named character as a general is more viable now (Hello Neferata / Mannfred).

No 5++ death save certainly means some of your elite heroes are going to get alpha'd off the table, if it wasn't already happening.

Most of the traits and artefacts look like a pretty 2/5 on the power scale, so I see myself using cloak of mists and shadows for move movement options.

If we don't really see any big rules changes or shooting nerfs, I don't really know a viable method to push into competitive with.

Guess we'll have to wait for the official book to come out.

Thanks for the video.

7 minutes ago, Bradifer said:

These were certainly not the changes I expected.

ROTN nerf is reasonable. And the other Command Traits don't look so good now. This means that using a named character as a general is more viable now (Hello Neferata / Mannfred).

No 5++ death save certainly means some of your elite heroes are going to get alpha'd off the table, if it wasn't already happening.

Most of the traits and artefacts look like a pretty 2/5 on the power scale, so I see myself using cloak of mists and shadows for move movement options.

If we don't really see any big rules changes or shooting nerfs, I don't really know a viable method to push into competitive with.

Guess we'll have to wait for the official book to come out.

Thanks for the video.

Never suffered and alpha'doff the table with my Heroes.

Anyway before taking the end judgement I'm waiting tomorrow,when we'll see if they release the compendiums or not. If the compendium exit I can change my mind, otherways I already prepare the bae for the new video about my opinion about.

Anyway luckyly we still have quite a lot of options...i's a bit harder but still there are.

Glad that you liked them^^

1 hour ago, deynon said:

The analysis isn't too complex. Tomb Kings are now completely self-contained, VLoAT took a points nerf and is no longer Soulblight, but could still be a useful tool in generic Death lists as the spell is still VERY powerful. I'll be posting a thread with some more specific thoughts.

34 minutes ago, lare2 said:

See Red Fury took a hit as well. 

Ring of Immortality: does this mean it doesn't cost reinforcement points? 

no more points, but if you don't heal enough it dies anyway...

@swarmofseals: I want to see what really changed and how much is the damage^^ I have to make a video for the channel so a minimum of research I have to do^^ moreover seeing what happened to the Mourngul^^

5 minutes ago, deynon said:

no more points, but if you don't heal enough it dies anyway...

@swarmofseals: I want to see what really changed and how much is the damage^^ I have to make a video for the channel so a minimum of research I have to do^^ moreover seeing what happened to the Mourngul^^

Yeah, I've composed some thoughts on this in this thread: 

6 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Yeah, I've composed some thoughts on this in this thread: 

Thanks, I just finished veryfing the Mourngul and the VC, so I had to take the sight of TK one, you made me save some time searching (Ushabti example^^). 

I need to see also the other units.

More I see and more it seems they tombed the Death^^

Definitely hoping for a deathrattle battletome soon and maybe some new units (Please GW) They've lost a lot of fun options with tomb kings losing the deathrattle keyword so I kind of hope some of that comes back in a new form, I've heard rumours about a skeleton giant but I'd be more interested in them bringing out/revamping chariots and horse archers.

6 minutes ago, lare2 said:

I might be wrong here but I'm seeing nothing that'll significantly help death... Please tell me I'm wrong! 

I think it's hard to say at the moment. There are two global changes that should help death out:

1. Shooting is generally more expensive now, which means that Death characters are more difficult to snipe. Death has no shooting to speak of and were thus unaffected by this.
  2. Battalions are far more expensive now. This is huge for Death because Death, for the most part, didn't have good battalions. It's a big nerf to every other faction that should barely affect Death.

In addition to this, while the Death trait isn't quite as good anymore the additional subfaction bonuses are solid (particularly Soulblight and FEC, I think) and other alliances have also seen hits to their powerful abilities, such as Rampaging Destroyers and Battle Brew. 

So many of the dominant things were nerfed -- Sayl, Kurnoths, Skyfires, Khemist/Bloodsecrator Stacking, Stonehorn Spam, Kunnin Rukk etc. Death's big problem is that it had nothing to compete with these.

Also, the game appears to be shifting to support horde armies more. This could be good for Death, as horde always was a strength of Death's.

As has been mentioned by others there are a couple of interesting nuggets in the FEC and Soulblight traits that I think help out quite a bit.  Here are the two examples that I mean:

Flesh-Eater Courts look to have a turn 1 charge with the Ghoul Patrol now.  The Patrol's 9' inch away deployment +plus the new item that grants one time plus 3' to charge on the Crypt Ghast seems to get 90 0r 120 ghouls in your face turn one.  You can even push the odds up more with the plus 1 charge derangement.

Soulblight got a mini Battle Brew, +1 to hit and +1 to wound on A Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon seems gooooood.

Has me excited to test at least.

26 minutes ago, lare2 said:

I might be wrong here but I'm seeing nothing that'll significantly help death... Please tell me I'm wrong! 

Soulblights are quite good, FEC too and GA:D  can be quite useful too, But it requires  bit of effort to calibrate everything (as I said in my video about Soublights, them allied to deadwalkers it's not bad...). Instead Nighthaunts gained something but still quite low.

There will be a great amount of changes in Death.

@TheWilddogno, with 120 ghouls it's impossible the Ghoul Patrol and that arrtifact, simply you don't have enough space to be able to do such a thing (you ave to decrease the amount of at list a unit of ghouls. Anyway  I find it not good to apply in such a crude way (I mean such amount of ghouls) cause you need the room to move themm on the field before and at turn 1 I doubt you'd be able t to do it. 

And about Soulblights...there are even better combinations^^

Mainly a deathrattle player so haven't fully analysed the others. Must say though, I am happy with the extra 60pts the massive regiments rule has given my general list... Was just hoping for more. Greedy, I know! 

10 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Soulblight got a mini Battle Brew, +1 to hit and +1 to wound on A Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon seems gooooood.

Has me excited to test at least.

Yeah and for a VLoZD if he happens to miss and take the D3 wounds he can just heal it back up anway

14 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Mainly a deathrattle player so haven't fully analysed the others. Must say though, I am happy with the extra 60pts the massive regiments rule has given my general list... Was just hoping for more. Greedy, I know! 

Did they release some Deathrattle rules or at least points? :)

8 minutes ago, choocheelo said:

*siting and looking at FEC, Nighthound and Dethlords army and cry....  

WHY I DONT START F**** VAMPIRES!

why FEC? They are quite good at the end, they have only to shift compared to before.

@Malakithe: deathlords, deathmages, deathwalkers, deathrattles, Nighthaunt

@Kugane: no

1 minute ago, deynon said:

why FEC? They are quite good at the end, they have only to shift compared to before.

@Malakithe: deathlords, deathmages, deathwalkers, deathrattles, Nighthaunt

@Kugane: no

Well, thats a handbook I'm not buying then haha. Thanks for the info! 

Archived