Will GW remove Slaanesh?

Since AoS launched, Slaanesh has been missing. For a while people theorised that maybe all the 90s ****** wasn't a good selling point for kids. It certainly looked for a while like GW was going to fully replace Slaanesh with the Skaven god and be done with it.

But then rumours started that Slaanesh was going to eventually make a return, and indeed with the start collecting and new warscroll, and now their own dedicated alliance abilities, perhaps Slaanesh will make a return after all.

I for one really like Slaanesh. It's the least boring of the chaos gods and the models are awesome.

But these days there's a focus on social media on diversity, particularly gender diversity. I wonder if GW will remove the only transgender pansexual character it has across the game.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They mentioned in the first book he's kidnapped by Tyrion and Teclis in the realm of light. We just have to wait until Light and Shadow realms are explored and he/she will be back. The fact that they released a get started set for Slaanesh and also allegiance abilities mean that they are still very much interested in the idea.

I look forward to seeing it new line of Slannesh models when the new line comes out.

Yeah, she/he is going to return at some point without a doubt. It could be a few years from now but it will happen. And there will be new models and kits, and it will be glorious!

I suspect that aelves and Slaanesh will see a story arc and new releases around the same time, given how closely they're linked in the lore. Which could mean a release sooner rather than later, given that aelves are a popular race in dire need of some GW lovin'. Maybe early next year?

The more I think about Slaanesh's fate in AoS, the more I wonder if (s)he could have actually ended up like Grimnir or Khaine: his/her body is destroyed but his/her "essence" is still present and can somehow be felt by his/her followers. That way Slaanesh may never really return, but (s)he has never really disappeared either.

The reason I'm thinking about this possibility is because if Slaanesh returns, the GHB17 Slaaneshi Hosts battle traits such as "pretenders" and "seekers" won't be valid anymore (at least fluff wise).

On the other hand, such a fate would be really anticlimactic if GW ever publish a campaign around Slaanesh.

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, The Golem said:

The reason I'm thinking about this possibility is because if Slaanesh returns, the GHB17 Slaaneshi Hosts battle traits such as "pretenders" and "seekers" won't be valid anymore (at least fluff wise).

I don't think GW think that far ahead when they print this stuff! Or, to put it more charitably, I don't think GW would let future plans get in the way of a good opportunity to give people some cool and fluffy battalions.

It's never looked like GW would replace Slaanesh, It's just the same tired baseless reason that gets trotted out every time while at the same time GW publishes new books that have illustrations of Keeper of Secrets in them with their ****** out. Especially right after they showed no issues with  when revamping the game they retired 2 entire armies and put mention of Slaanesh in the new books. If they were going to get rid of he/she/it it would have been during the end times with no mention afterwards. It always seems like the community has more of an issue with Slaaneshs image than GW does.

I seriously doubt it.

I suspect that was rumours spread around by people desperate for aos to fail due to all the "silly rules " .

Using a fundamental part of chaos bending the story arc to suit their "gw is ruining fantasy " narrative with no real justification or grounds for it .

As shown in ghb17 gw is more than willing to show support for slaanesh and all it's kinks

Take my personal theories with a grain of salt:

So... we're solidly in the "Chaos Track" right now.

Khorne - initial game release
Tzeentch - Next release
Nurgle - Current/immediately upcoming release

Then we're looking at "horned rat or slaanesh" unless they get sidestepped by Destruction stepping "up to the plate".

Skaven are currently not front and center in regards to models. Pestilins was prominent in the initial Runegate wars ... not quite as much the other Skaven.

So, GHB 2018 or perhaps 2019... maybe as late as 2020 for the return or at least storyline progression to pull Slaanesh followers more back into the forefront.

No way it's still in the lore, good Slaaneshi followers story in Call of Chaos.  Deals with excess in a much more imaginative way than simply just SEX!!!  Also there wouldn't be any Slaaneshi daemons if Slaanesh was dead/destroyed.  Him/Her being alive but missing is a rather good narrative hook 

Slaanesh is Hermaphroditic rather than anything else. 

i think the new allegiance abilities can still exist when slaanesh returns, they all represent different aspects of the patrons traits, the pretender is one whos hunger and desire for power allows him access more abilities, the neverending ascension of newer things, similar to a certain sigvald we know ?

seekers are essentially not just searching for their god, but they are wracked by a lust driven pilgrimage of carnage, driven by impulse and the song of their blade.

and finally the invaders one is still possible as chaos lords above all are a cowardly lot, joining hands when and only when it rewards them. in particular the slaaneshi lords dont display the divine right of war or serious doom and gloom that other lords under different patrons assume. to them this is a game. and then they move on.

after all, slaanesh allows the devoted the slavery of self promotion. doing things purely for yourself and only minimally for slaanesh is actually slaanesh's game all along.

4 hours ago, firebat said:

illustrations of Keeper of Secrets in them with their ****** out.

It always seems like the community has more of an issue with Slaaneshs image than GW does.

I don't know if that's a personal setting or the general settings for the forum that censored that but it did amuse me. :)

6 hours ago, Marc Wilson said:

Militant LGBT activists protesting about prejudicial removal of a lustful murder God? I would have thought it's unthinkable... but then PETA and furry cloaks (not a euphemism)....

Hmm... I'm not so sure Slaanesh is Transgender. I'll ask him when I see her next.

I'd have thought if there's any protesting about Slaanesh, conservative christian soccer mums would be the more likely group — albeit in the other direction.

Also, could I ask that you not make jokes at the expense of lgbt groups? It just bugs me.

7 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Since AoS launched, Slaanesh has been missing. For a while people theorised that maybe all the 90s ****** wasn't a good selling point for kids. It certainly looked for a while like GW was going to fully replace Slaanesh with the Skaven god and be done with it.

But then rumours started that Slaanesh was going to eventually make a return, and indeed with the start collecting and new warscroll, and now their own dedicated alliance abilities, perhaps Slaanesh will make a return after all.

I for one really like Slaanesh. It's the least boring of the chaos gods and the models are awesome.

But these days there's a focus on social media on diversity, particularly gender diversity. I wonder if GW will remove the only transgender pansexual character it has across the game.

Thoughts?

If GW was going to remove Slaanesh why keep writing Slaanesh into books?  Guy Haley said "I write slaanesh into stories to prove he's not going away to the internet nerds"

I'm a little tired of seeing people mention this with no foundation of an argument.

No slaanesh is not going away, GW would of done it at the start of AOS. If they were going to they would no mention fulgrim in gathering storm or give emperor's children legion abilities and their on entry in 40k. Also on the AOS front slaanesh has gotten far more updates than it ever has done compared to whfb also the slaanesh daemon start collecting box and allegiance abilities for the new handbook. I also keep these images on hand to prove a point Bretonnia and tomb kings is how GW squats something. They kill their line and don't talk about it. 

7ba0b82b833903f75fcc570e0cf99b51.jpg

S1vzSxn.png

ENrYr1c.png

This is far the opposite of squatting lol. 

2 minutes ago, thediceabide said:
Mc·Guf·fin
məˈɡəfin/
noun
BRITISH
  1. an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot.

Well, Slaanesh's current predicament does have a bit more explanation and contextual coherence than most McGuffins (though I wouldn't put too much in the AoS narrative universe beyond the touch of McGuffinism, many cool micro plots aside). I do think Slaanesh will be leveraged heavily to introduce new happenings and plot progression without a concomitant progression in it's own story.

With the new traits in the GHB17, I actually think that might be farther off than I had previously thought.

As for the allure of Slaanesh, I think it works great in the narrative stuff, but has trouble translating to a battle game. Excesses of sensual desire made manifest? My first thoughts are not stabby stabby, at least not large roving war bands stabby stabbying. Okay, the more I write the more this could turn into mass rape orgies and actually make sense, but I just don't think it translates in how they write the rules for the units as they'll work on the table. The units just fight, like everyone else. And they're fast? I suppose that's a nod to the speed of thought and desire and the physicality of sensuality, but it doesn't fulfill the fantasy for me.

8 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

I'd have thought if there's any protesting about Slaanesh, conservative christian soccer mums would be the more likely group — albeit in the other direction.

Also, could I ask that you not make jokes at the expense of lgbt groups? It just bugs me.

Err... the jokes clearly at the expense of the OP, my good mate. It's called satire (a form of humour), and contains absolutely less-than-zero imagined malice. My wife is a Christian and if driving my little 'un to 'Little Kickers' make her a 'soccer mom' then no I don't suppose she's offended by Slaanesh (or satire) either. 

Me? I can't wait to paint all those boobies in my garage - hubba hubba! :)

Archived