Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

16 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Yep but those kind of rules are much better suited to horde armies trust me as I mentioned earlier Harlequins aren't saved by 4+ inv. 

Didn't save death much. But that's probably due to the heroes ruling and also lack of decent warscrolls and rules at the time.

DoK have much better warscrolls as they are now than zombies and skelebones ;) Though they're obv gonna be played super differently.  So tbh I can see it working.

I just fear having to play a horde army xD Especially with paper armour means I'm gonna need SOOOO MANY.

Wonder if I can just have a small elite snake army... and pretend I'm not playing expensive hordes.

@Kramer pre orders are this saturday i think. Release will be the next weekend, would be too strange to release with no preorders.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Glad to know that you know what kind of an army they are with new rules. Last time I checked Battletome is releasing in two weeks. 

Also if you compare them to what they are now then good luck to you. I'd rather compare their Allegiance abilities to those armies with post GH 2016 Battletomes. 

I just figured since you seemed soooooo sure that they were an elite harlequin esque army that you had some kind of magic crystal ball, guess not huh?

And comparing them to anything is silly considering that this is the basic army allegiance ability and not the actual allegiance abilities, ala Legion of Sacrement or Legion of Night. The point was to illustrate how ridiculous worrying about this tiny tidbit was.

2 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

@Kramer pre orders are this saturday i think. Release will be the next weekend, would be too strange to release with no preorders.

Fair enough! That's the difference between me hitting refresh like a madman and still having to wait a week, and 3 to 5 workdays ;) Which I'm curious to see, if they sent before the release so you get it on the day of, or they send on the day of the release. 

@BURF1 Nope I didn't compare them to Harlies I just said that I like glass Canon armies and didn't imply that DoK are glass Canon but you did say that they are horde army without any proof to back it up and you were so sure about that that you even used capital letters. You don't want to worry about tidbit we got why to comment here? It's all speculation right now and it's huge part of such message boards - to speculate. 

30 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

A battletome that makes major changes to the way an army works? *le gasp!* lol

It's way too early to make any real speculation as to the overall functionality of the army, let alone the power level. Look at the death book, before LoN dropped death players had all the new warscrolls and most of the new allegiance abilities, spells, and relics and people STILL were hilariously off in regards to the form and function of LoN armies. Within a week the majority of the grumbling turned into list building and game playing as people came to realize that it was actually a pretty great, if conservative, book. 

TLDR: We won't know how the army works or how good it is until the battletome leaks sometime next week, the previews are fun but not enough to draw meaningful conclusions.

Couldn't agree more, I said earlier and I'll say it again: GW has been delivering solidly and has earned my faith.  

Think about how interactive GW has made all of the more recent allegiance abilities.  So far we've seen only passive ones for DoK, and I'd be surprised if there isn't an active element revealed.  Nurgle has the wheel that can be manipulated,  Death has Gravesites that can be summoning and resurrection beacons, Fireslayers have runes that can be activated, Seraphon have teleportation they can use, Stormcast have (disappointing) deepstrike.  Passivity is boring, activity is fun.  It would be a pretty substantial step backwards in game design to have an army defined by a bunch of passive buffs...which is why I have faith (which I hope is not misplaced).

I've updated the Daughters of Khaine page on the AoS Shorts site to gather all the information on the new release in one place.

You'll find all the pictures, videos, & articles (including Chuck Moore's great piece on Morathi's background and motivations).  I'd be grateful if you can let me know of any community coverage of Daughters of Khaine as it comes out - previews, lore background pieces etc etc).

I'll keep updating the site throughout the week with community content (podcasts, previews, videos) etc and have an initial impressions show up for release day 1f642.png:)

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

Couldn't agree more, I said earlier and I'll say it again: GW has been delivering solidly and has earned my faith.  

Think about how interactive GW has made all of the more recent allegiance abilities.  So far we've seen only passive ones for DoK, and I'd be surprised if there isn't an active element revealed.  Nurgle has the wheel that can be manipulated,  Death has Gravesites that can be summoning and resurrection beacons, Fireslayers have runes that can be activated, Seraphon have teleportation they can use, Stormcast have (disappointing) deepstrike.  Passivity is boring, activity is fun.  It would be a pretty substantial step backwards in game design to have an army defined by a bunch of passive buffs...which is why I have faith (which I hope is not misplaced).

Active abilities for shenanigans would be awesome and i hope we see some. More tactical elements is always welcome.

Real talk though will we have a sticks to snakes spell?

Turn those sylvaneth into some snakaneth allies!

(Don't even ask about my late night sense of humor...)

Loving that Morathi is keeping Khaine’s heart and that’s avoiding him coming back, so damn Grimdark! She’s basically deceiving her whole race in her own benefit, at least she’s still the complete b**** badass! 

Also, the 6+++ is good, specially in an army with horde potential (that is not going to change, if something we’ll get the option to play them in smaller numbers, but witches are always going to be there), and the retconed power from pain is a fun dynamic, rewards thoughtful play instead of throwing yourself to the enemy. However I do agree it isn’t mind-blowing, hope we see something more exciting for the next preview. Also, I would bet the blood cauldrons are going to buff their ward save, let’s hope it can get better than a 5+++ though!

I think the allegiance abilities will have more effect on some of the newer units since Witch elves could already get all of the buffs mentioned by other means. like other people have said we're at the stage where everything is out of context unitil we see the battletome. All it takes is one unit to have a 3+ save, you can buff to 2+ with mystic shield and re-roll 1's becomes massive.

DoK are a horde army right now because its the only option. With the 2 types of Melusai there could also be an elite build in there once we see the book. 

I'm definitely with the folks hoping for a glass cannon type army. Defensive armies are just dull to play. I'd rather lose a few games from bad dice than be bored.

In case anyone is interested a Melusine is a vengeful female creature from French folklore - often depicted with the body of a snake or fish - sometimes with wings :) 

I'm very happy they are keeping Morathi's character true to form - she has such a rich history of double dealing gods, demons, and anyone that suits her own purposes it would be sad to see her change.

Slightly annoyed to see that political correctness has had an influence on the sculpt and we have firmly entered the age of the mono-boob with GW's new female figures. I'not bothered one way or the other if female characters are overtly sexual or tastefully dressed but no actual woman - particularly not one as vain as Morathi - would go out with her chest looking that way! Weaponised sexuality is what this character does - its a bit tragic to see her depicted making basic fashion mistakes.

I can't wait for the Daemonettes in Dungarees and Ug boots

On first reading I was a bit disappointed with the theme of deathless style save as it seems a little samey, having said that I don't have any suggestions for how to add a bit of resilience to the army without either save after saves or negative hit mods and neither of those options are remotely origional.  The second teased scaling ability looks interesting and thematic which I like a lot.  

The most interesting thing for me is that while in a vacuum the allegience abilities are nothing to write home about theres clearly a lot of synergistic possibilities with the various cults/cities.  So I think they are actually quite a good foundation to build a few varied forces.  Now we won't know obviously until the tombs out but I am quite excited and pleased by the snippet they have shown so far.

I'm actually in favour of GW toning down the 'stripperific' quality that the witch aelves used to have. There's a time and a place for big hair, and chainmail bikinis - and it's called the 1980s. ?

If they keep the distinctive visual look, but add in some more badass features like serpent-monsters, they can update it a bit and create something new. I'm certainly keen to see what evolves out of it all. 

45 minutes ago, Redbaron said:

I'm actually in favour of GW toning down the 'stripperific' quality that the witch aelves used to have. There's a time and a place for big hair, and chainmail bikinis - and it's called the 1980s. ?

I would agree with you if the game was set on earth in 2018 but it isn't. Nobody is complaining that the Fyreslayers aren't wearing a collar and tie and getting a sensible haircut. 

Fantasy characters should look like a fantasy, not monday morning at the office. Women have ****** and you can represent that tastefully without resorting to the sculpting equivalent of pixellating them.

what I cant say b r e a s t s on this forum? thats equally pathetic. by automatically obscuring it it just makes it look like i used an offensive word. which i didn't.

59 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I would agree with you if the game was set on earth in 2018 but it isn't. Nobody is complaining that the Fyreslayers aren't wearing a collar and tie and getting a sensible haircut. 

Fantasy characters should look like a fantasy, not monday morning at the office. Women have ****** and you can represent that tastefully without resorting to the sculpting equivalent of pixellating them.

what I cant say b r e a s t s on this forum? thats equally pathetic. by automatically obscuring it it just makes it look like i used an offensive word. which i didn't.

Social responses to actual issues are always extreme. They will consolidate with time and settle into something rational but in the interim with all the justifiable attention on the topic you will find people favour the over cautious approach.

I would agree tho that restricting the use of ****** seems ridiculous.  

Yes I fully understand the reasoning behind the policy. Its just a little dissapointing that that feature of the model has to be designed to look wrong. Even a Barbie doll - a product actually aimed at children - is modelled with more thought to anatomical accuracy than a high quality miniature. They could have just given her a breastplate - which would have made it a little more tolerable but she's wearing a dress - presumably with a cardboard box underneath it.

Its interesting to me that themes of torture, murder, human sacrifice and genocide are seen as more socially acceptable elements of a game than naughty language and boobies.

Anyway its just a minor gripe over an otherwise impressive miniature.

So looking towards the new Battletome, what's people's hopes towards the Iron Avatar of Khaine?

Do you think it'll be a scenery piece like Wyldwoods, Graveyards and the like from recent armies giving the army buffs if near it or do you think it'll be a actual unit, maybe a construct powered by Morathi's magic to make the Witches believe that Khaine is fighting alongside them?

Hoping it's the latter and it's a combat unit, if so I'll definitely be picking up the Forgeworld Avatar down the line.

I think we will more likely see it as buffing scenery. I feel like we would have seen something about it being a unit by now, or art of that nature. I am very curious with the new background reveal of Morathi how her relationship has changed with Malerion and what is going on there.

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Yes I fully understand the reasoning behind the policy. Its just a little dissapointing that that feature of the model has to be designed to look wrong. Even a Barbie doll - a product actually aimed at children - is modelled with more thought to anatomical accuracy than a high quality miniature. They could have just given her a breastplate - which would have made it a little more tolerable but she's wearing a dress - presumably with a cardboard box underneath it.

Its interesting to me that themes of torture, murder, human sacrifice and genocide are seen as more socially acceptable elements of a game than naughty language and boobies.

Anyway its just a minor gripe over an otherwise impressive miniature.

1. You have no idea if "political correctness" has had any "influence on the sculpt", you made it up from thin air. The fact that GW are still releasing female models with combat heels and armored boobies should tell you that it did not.

2. There are plenty of dresses that make a woman's chest look exactly like that. It has do do with the fabric and the cut of the dress, and nothing to do with "anatomical accuracy".

3. The next time a male miniature is released without an anatomically correct bulge in his nether regions, I expect to see several posts from you complaining about political correctness and anatomical inaccuracy. I assume you are concerned with accurate anatomy in general and not just that of women.

Archived