The Grand Alliance Books

In AoS for the Skirmish, but very interested in the fluff. I have the Tzeentch and Stormcast Eternal Battletomes, and they're fantastic. However, there are some other Skirmish warbands I want to build but not sure I need to drop $30-40 on their battletomes as well.

So, my question is, do those 4 Grand Alliance books provide enough background on the units and factions that I could read those to get the general idea? Does the Death book have info on the FEC and what the various Crypt creatures are or do I need the FEC Battletome? Same with Chaos...can I get a feel for Khorne and Nurgle flipping through the Chaos book?

I guess I'd like to know how much fluff is in these Grand Alliance books...or were they mainly all rules and warscrolls to get peoples WFB into AoS?

Thanks!

Here's my thoughts:

Personally if I was in it just for Skirmish, I wouldn't buy either. The warscrolls are all available for free, so the only benefit you get from either is the fluff side of things.

The GA books basically give 1-2 pages of fluff per faction. Stuff that should probably be available in an abbreviated form anyway on the GW website (Shame that you basically have to goto 4chan to find out this info). Additionally, they contain out of date warscrolls for some factions. At the end of the day, I'd only suggest it if you're collecting a faction without a battletome AND you prefer things in print.

The Battletome on the other hand, may be a bit overkill for someone interested purely in Skirmish. It'll give you a ton of fluff and hobby advice, but it'll also give you stuff you won't be able to use in Skirmish (like Warscroll Battalions, Allegiance Abilities, etc). It's also quite a chunky investment, purchasing a Battletome would get you like half a Start Collecting set.

I see the battletome more as an investment, if you think that you'll ever get into AoS proper with your faction, then it's worth it to find out the hobby and fluff side of stuff and slowly build into AoS proper. If all you're interested in is Skirmish, then you have to weigh up how much having in depth knowledge of the fluff is worth to you.

@someone2040 makes a lot of sense. It can appear a waste of money for a Skirmish player to purchase battletomes, but as a hobbyist I get a lot of inspiration from the art, fluff, and painted models within their covers.

Heck, when I was strictly a Blood Bowl player I would buy WFB army books for my teams simply to get into their history, build backgrounds, etc.

At least this time, another boon for AoS, I'll have the option to expand models and use more of the book.

Archived