GHB17 - Let´s talk order

Sadysaneto

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the stunties hadn't had 2 AoS updates so far as well as extra stuff in this book. I can understand it of the AoS poster boys but at this point the Dwarves will have had more love than either Death or Destruction will have had never mind the elves.

12 hours ago, angrycontra said:

I think people shouldn't judge armies just based on these previews. 

Well, we are judging them based on playing them as our favourite armies (for some of us 30 years).  And then looking at a new rule and thinking "how can I make this work with what I have/play with?"

Had Brayherd gotten that ability to say, retreat after charge?  Which is Khazrak's ability? Man I would have been overjoyed and my Wanderers would have really gotten shelved.  

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

So...has nothing been spoiled yet about what Darkling Covens get?

From War of Sigmar:

"-Add count of nearby coven models to units (ie if you have 10 dread spear hanging near your 10 shards, they count as 20 for the storm ability) INcredible idea !!!!
-Pass battleshock for 1 mortal
--One unit in 12" of the gen can run and shoot/charge each turn
-one unit in 12" of the gen reroll wound of 1"

Sounds really nice.

11 hours ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

My worries as far as dispossessed go is will my cannons break alligence? Man ironweld as its own faction is so bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Cannons are not dispossessed alligence as they are ironweld but I assume are available as allies. War machines don't get buffs anyway (as even compendium the machine does not have dispossessed keyword) so it's not really a problem I don't think. Really looking forward to dispossessed abilities and relics though.

Swordmasters went down by 20 points and get a horde bonus.

Spireguard stayed the same points but get a bonus at 30 (not sure I could stomach painting 30 of them)

I'm surprised the archmage stayed at 120. I think this is because there is only one warscroll for the on foot and on horse archmage.  Honestly the on foot archmage should probably be around 100 (same as a loremaster)

Shadow Warriors get a size bonus (probably should have gone down to 180 points IMO)

Strangely the Guardians of the Dawnspire battalion is not listed, but was given points in the box set.  What does that mean?  (not that its super powerful)

The Drakeseer went down by 40 as well as the Archmage on Dragon

Overall happy with the changes for my High Aelf army

4 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

can I still keep a Hurricanum with the Darkling Covens? How do these new Ally-rules work?

Since collegiate arcane is not an darking covens ally, if you take a hurricanum and darkling covens, you would have to use generic order allegiance abilities ( therefore could not use new darkling coven allegiance abilities or use black gaurd/executioners as battleline.) So you could do it, but at a cost.

48 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

Does...does that say that Executioners are Battleline for Darkling Coven allegiance?

Are you telling me that I can field an entire army of nothing but Executioners and Sorceresses?

You can, and I wish you well in this endeavor. May you not run into anything with a -1 to hit debuff

Yeah...I'm a bit lost as what to do now. When I had to take three of Bleakswords, Dreadspears and Darkshards that gave me something to build around and try to maximise what I could get out of these less powerful units....now I can just fill my army with Black Guard and Executioners is seems kind of...boring. Do I just buy some boxes of those and do that?

(This is not a complaint, we got awesome stuff, I'm just trying to work out how to make my army look/feel cool and interesting.)

2 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

Yeah...I'm a bit lost as what to do now. When I had to take three of Bleakswords, Dreadspears and Darkshards that gave me something to build around and try to maximise what I could get out of these less powerful units....now I can just fill my army with Black Guard and Executioners is seems kind of...boring. Do I just buy some boxes of those and do that?

(This is not a complaint, we got awesome stuff, I'm just trying to work out how to make my army look/feel cool and interesting.)

I think that your being lost is a good thing! This is a reset! You  can now go about the fun job of figuring out what works for you aesthetically and from a competitive standpoint. 

I do think that with the new darkling covens abilities that have been leaked, you are gonna want to take some of the traditional battleline units. and executioners, while great, have a pretty hard counter with a negative to hit debuff, so your hypothetical army would be easy to figure out. 

I think there is going to be a lot to talk about tactically with the darkling covens and am looking forward to it

I actually have liked the Black Guard more than Executioners for a while. The Exeecutioners have such a reputation that people tend to throw everything at them...letting the Black Guard sweep in at full strength and mop stuff up. I am probably going to go crazy and field a 30-man Black Guard unit, especially now they cost a lot less. Maybe even two 30-man units.

Apparently there's a Command ability for sorceresses that lets you reroll 1s on wound rolls, which will be nice for them too, as I tend to roll a lot of 1s there, and go 'damn, if only I could reroll these like I can reroll 1s to hit'.

lizards look insane. they went from a decent army with pointless command ability to an amazing army with potentially gamebreaking command ability.

my list which was consistantly doing well got over 200 points back... including formation price increase

2 minutes ago, fued said:

lizards look insane. they went from a decent army with pointless command ability to an amazing army with potentially gamebreaking command ability.

my list which was consistantly doing well got over 200 points back... including formation price increase

My sylvaneth Gnarlroot list got a 150 points increase already including 120 points in discounts. 

1 hour ago, Kaleun said:

do you have more intel about the new aelfs?

No.. I just meant that I would not expect (purely based on feeling etc, no facts) ANY of the old HE factions to get attention except points and warscrolls: I think any new Aelf models will be their own faction (Shadow realm themed) seperate of exisiting stuff. Play HE as they are and if that doesn't make you happy you'd better pick some nice allies.. and if that isn't enough: pick a new race and start over. I think old HE still have quite a lot of nice units myself though (but I don't play them so no real experience): reavers, phoenix, loremaster, boltthrower don't seem that bad.

Archived