new terrain rules spotted

Arkiham

6 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Are these 40k terrain pieces that have been migrated to AoS? They really don't look like they fit in a fantasy setting to me...

Would be great for a Tzeentch themed board.

Or as coral for the fishmen ;)

I suppose there are a few thematic boards they would fit on... but as a Wanderer player I like the more traditional fantasy feel. :P

Slightly off topic, but I miss the flavor of Bretonians, Empire, etc. These terrain pieces would be so out of place on a standard grassy table with those armies on it haha. 

Yeah I'm not that into this kind of terrain. I feel if you put a little effort in painting / basing you can easily make some great "alien-looking" terrain with random bits and branches. I wish they would release more modular stuff that you can easily combine instead of set pieces. Stuff like the Garden of Morr that you can easily use in many different ways...

The most remarkable thing to me is that it is an implementation of 40K stuff into AoS.  Not a conversion, not a kit-bash, but a straight port of a previously 40K only model being moved into a Fantasy setting.  I know that the Chaos Daemons have been able to go back and forth between systems for a long while now, but this is cool to me!  I wonder what if there is a chance of anything else jumping between systems now?

I do miss some of the more classic Fantasy style terrain though.  Sure, the big, flashy, and magical stuff is awesome, but without some of the simpler themes, one can lose appreciation for either.

i find it interesting as not long ago im sure someone who works for gw started a thread asking what people think of white dwarf an how it can be improved, i could probably dig it up an link but i cba tbh ;)

i mentioned on there about adding more warscrolls for aos, new terrain, narrative characters etc etc to make white dwarf magazines more desirable, now this might be coincidence but they might be far more active than we realise on forums checking feedback anonymously   

I think the Shardwrack looks ports over really well (it's crying out to be nurglified), less convinced by the Venomgorse :S  Sadly my immediate reaction was "more mortal wounds?" and then realising it would make a fantastic screen for ranged units!  But that's very negative and it's really nice to see warscrolls appearing for more scenery

With the right paint job these could absolutely work in the stranger parts of the mortal realms. I'd use the Venomgorse in the jungle areas of the realm of life. The spines could be tree replacements in the realm of metal, or be part of the bones of some giant beast in the realms of beasts or death. Their paintwork as shown here is very 40K but with a little adaption they really could work well.

While I really like the look of the Shardwrack Spines for a Choas Wasteland type setting, the tree things just look a bit too alien for my liking but I suppose could work in niche parts of some realms.  The only reason they've done this is because the kit isn't selling that well and opening it up to AoS increases the potential size of the market a bit.

To be honest I very nearly bought this kit when it came out for 40k, but it was just a bit too expensive and I only really wanted the Spines... They really should have been 2 kits at £30 each and they probably would have sold like Munitorum Containers (hot cakes).

Archived