GHB2 - Square Bases an Issue?

Tidings

I'm a big fan of square bases on certain units, mostly the archers that I keep tightly grouped and generally don't need to shuffle around much in melee.

I was wondering though, with the GHB2 around the corner, are square bases likely going to be a problem? Should I just hold off on basing them for now?

3 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

I think the writing is on the wall for squares. I'd go round to avoid basing in the future but that's just me.

I think this is a pretty fair assumption.  You can pick up movement trays that will allow you to neatly rank up models like archers if that's what you're looking for.  Everybody has their own opinion, but unless you're planning on using models in a different game system that requires square bases, I'd stick with rounds for AoS.

I think the only issue is there if players purposefully use bases as a meassure to gain drastical advantages.
To me the debate of bases always goes both sides. There is a pro to having a smaller base, there also most certainly is a pro to having a larger base. It's incorrect to assume that smaller bases will always work to your advantage. Heck a gigantic base offers you a much larger advantage versus a mini base. 

What I would do if you are so inclined to use square bases is to use the 25mm base as the minimum. Simply because I believe the smalles AoS base GW now provides in a round is the 25mm base aswell. This way the unit still thakes up the same ammount of virtual space and the gain in theoretical advantage is just simply kept to a minimum. 

Will GH2 prevent you from using square bases? No, I don't think so. I do however believe that a notion will be made for base to base meassurement instead of model to model meassurement. Simply because it allows you to create models to your liking without interacting with game rules.

21 hours ago, Trout said:

How many forums do you post the exact same thing on ;)?

Ha, I take it you regularly browse reddit as well. :P

12 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

GW does not even enforce base sizes and shapes in 40K. Square based bikes still show up to 40K gts alongside 25mm marines and nobody cares. AoS is the more casual of the two games. I seriously doubt GW is going to start regulating bases in GHB2.

That's really good to know. I haven't been to a 40k tourny but I would have thought base sizes would be standard.

Thanks for all the answers guys, I'm definitely going to put all melee units on rounds. Will probably do the same for future archer units too. 

8 minutes ago, Tidings said:

That's really good to know. I haven't been to a 40k tourny but I would have thought base sizes would be standard.

I hope not! My necron infantry is all on Secret Weapon RuinedTemple bases that are the size those models were sold with.  Same exact models are on 32s now,  I think,  but I'm not throwing away the time and money spent on the 25s.

Archived