House rules for skirmish

I am not sure about any need to limit shooting, I think while it may hamper the super units, it will cripple the units that have normal shooting. My reavers for instance, firing 3 shots each, made not dent in the Stormcast force I faced. 

If an effect deals with the opponent's bravery or battleshock, it needs to be applied to the enemy general as that is the unit whose bravery is used.  For example, the Stardrake Icon from the Saurus Warrior warscroll says "If a battleshock test is made for an enemy unit within 5" of any stardrake icons, add 1 to the result" so the icon would need to be within 5" of the enemy general.

If an effect deals with the opponent's bravery or battleshock, it needs to be applied to the enemy general as that is the unit whose bravery is used.  For example, the Stardrake Icon from the Saurus Warrior warscroll says "If a battleshock test is made for an enemy unit within 5" of any stardrake icons, add 1 to the result" so the icon would need to be within 5" of the enemy general.

If an effect deals with bravery or Battleshock for an enemy unit, or references special benefit for battleshock rolls for a friendly unit, the ability does not apply and it should be ignored because in Skirmish one does not make battleshock tests for units.

1 hour ago, Nin Win said:

I don't even see that as a house rule.  That's just the rule.  The only unit in the army that makes battleshock tests is the general.

Btw, I find it nutso that the game has been out for all of about 6 seconds and ppl wanna house rule stuff.

I swear this urge is like some sort of drug addiction.  Smacksmack ... new rules ... gotta change ' em .... tweakkkkkk...ahhhhhh

I don't even see that as a house rule.  That's just the rule.  The only unit in the army that makes battleshock tests is the general.

However, the General (as a unit) doesn't actually make the test.

It is a "special battleshock" test for the warband that happens to use the General's Bravery characteristic, until he (or she) dies. At which point you use a value of 5.

Coming from my experience with Hinterlands I think the most important thing to balance is Mortal Wounds. Play against a Heraldor or a Lord Celestant and you'll quickly see. The last version of Hinterlands introduced 2 "rules of three" the first was that a single model can only target up to 3 models in any phase with abilities or attacks, the second was only a total of 3 Mortal Wounds could be made per turn and any subsequent Mortal Wounds could have saving throws taken against them (with a rend of '-'). These rules were precisely put in to curtail Mortal Wound spam which can wreck a Warband in a single turn.

I also think lots of command abilities, command traits, artefacts and battle traits interact in a somewhat clumsy manner with Skirmish, so you'll want to have some house clarifications.

After that your group should think about fun house rules like adding in injuries and levelling up (or whatever else you want!) :D 

I like not rolling for mysterious terrain before the game and instead rolling the first time a model moves into it. Makes for a fun thematic element...creep carefully and hope it's not crumbling! Also saves bookkeeping.

I had thought shooting would need some form of comp, but it hasn't appeared to be the case so far.

7 hours ago, bottle said:

Coming from my experience with Hinterlands I think the most important thing to balance is Mortal Wounds. Play against a Heraldor or a Lord Celestant and you'll quickly see. The last version of Hinterlands introduced 2 "rules of three" the first was that a single model can only target up to 3 models in any phase with abilities or attacks, the second was only a total of 3 Mortal Wounds could be made per turn and any subsequent Mortal Wounds could have saving throws taken against them (with a rend of '-'). These rules were precisely put in to curtail Mortal Wound spam which can wreck a Warband in a single turn.

I also think lots of command abilities, command traits, artefacts and battle traits interact in a somewhat clumsy manner with Skirmish, so you'll want to have some house clarifications.

After that your group should think about fun house rules like adding in injuries and levelling up (or whatever else you want!) :D 

While there are imbalances, those pop up in every game the only part of skirmish I find truly broken is the AoE mortal wound spam. I was thinking that maybe consider all enemy units in range to be the unit affected.

18 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Btw, I find it nutso that the game has been out for all of about 6 seconds and ppl wanna house rule stuff.

I swear this urge is like some sort of drug addiction.  Smacksmack ... new rules ... gotta change ' em .... tweakkkkkk...ahhhhhh

I take it you didn't read the bit in the rules that says "We suggest you come up with some house rules for things like limiting multiple shots etc"?

I would be interested to know how people treat things like pink horrors - is each pink horror its own mage? Do you count all pink horrors on the table as one mage (i.e. one horror can cast a spell each hero phase)? Do you just limit the number of pink horrors people can take? I found that one is fine (and does't feel particularly under costed, as it only has one wound) but that more than one would feel broken if they were each allowed to be mages.

Hmm we definitely played that wrong if so. We were treating them all as individual units.

-edit-

OK... Re-reading. I think we played it right since it says "treat each model as a unit".... but I could see some shenanigans if someone took 10 Pink Horrors. :)

Archived