Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

I think the Scrivener has some potential in lists where Plaguebearers are being used offensively, but he'd also be the first thing to go if I needed points for Command Points or Spells. Rerolling any kind of hits on PBs is good as their 4+ to hit is hot garbage. Its so easy to give them 2+ to wound, it could be worth it.

The Scrivener is probably wildly overpriced. I suppose 100 points could be better looked at as +2 attacks to PBs for one round with 2 shots at Grandfather's Joy. 

The one case I can see them being better is if they can buff multiple units in a situation where combats are likely to go for multiple rounds. 

Lots of conflicting thoughts on that guy. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

You also reroll ones to hit, but only on plaguebearers.  The named heralds continue to be useless, fortunately with the range on unbind going up and arcane bolt being needed poxwalkers are looking better than ever

Poxbringers (I know what you meant) are baller. I've been rocking 2 before AoS2 and they've been solid.  Unlike their newer pals, they are worth their points.  

Hey guys.  I just want to confirm that Virulent Discharge was nurfed at some point.  No nearby unit gets more than 1 roll, even if you have multiple units with this ability within 3" of it, right?  

All the discussion i can find search I believe was pre-nurf. Comparing to old warscrolls, I see the wording on warscrolls changed to add "within 3" of any friendly unit with this ability".   Same wording on the nurgle's rot ability. 

4 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Hey guys.  I just want to confirm that Virulent Discharge was nurfed at some point.  No nearby unit gets more than 1 roll, even if you have multiple units with this ability within 3" of it, right?  

All the discussion i can find search I believe was pre-nurf. Comparing to old warscrolls, I see the wording on warscrolls changed to add "within 3" of any friendly unit with this ability".   Same wording on the nurgle's rot ability. 

Yep. If a unit is within 3" of multiple units of Blight Kings there is only one role to see if they get D3 mortal wounds. 

I will probably try many list with slimux, I was considering summoning early game 1,2 beast of nurgle since they cost really cheap and they have a good mortal wounds output 

Summoning flies at the 4th turn its a risk, if they even fail a charge they are totally wasted, better summon something 2 turns before to annoy the opponent and letting him waste damage/points on them instead of some last turn risky units

The other thing I will try are the endless spell cogs with gutrot, if u can cast them on the first turn u can setup kings with +3 charge, failing only with 5 or less

Cogs, after charge and move become useless, can be used to add 1 more spell, like a Change to the cycle of corruption, so if not dispelled it can be more useful than the 2-cast Artifact on rotbringer sorcerer

37 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

I will probably try many list with slimux, I was considering summoning early game 1,2 beast of nurgle since they cost really cheap and they have a good mortal wounds output 

Summoning flies at the 4th turn its a risk, if they even fail a charge they are totally wasted, better summon something 2 turns before to annoy the opponent and letting him waste damage/points on them instead of some last turn risky units

The other thing I will try are the endless spell cogs with gutrot, if u can cast them on the first turn u can setup kings with +3 charge, failing only with 5 or less

Cogs, after charge and move become useless, can be used to add 1 more spell, like a Change to the cycle of corruption, so if not dispelled it can be more useful than the 2-cast Artifact on rotbringer sorcerer

I think it’s more worth it to save a command point and let gutrot use the “at the double” (I think it’s that one) command ability to let the blightkings re-roll that 8” charge.

I've been thinking about the summoning too. I think its feasible that you can use it in a very case by case sort of way. PBs or Beasts would be good chaff to pop out and cause trouble early in the game. If you can wait a turn or two, it may be worth it to summon something heavier. Has anyone tried playing a bit of a delay game to maximize summoning? Endless spells could help with that. Some of those can act as pro chaff.

7 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Is the lord of afflictions the only hero whose command ability must be the general to use? Couldn’t find any but I wanted to see if someone knew of any others..even in StD

I wonder if the warscroll will change with 2.0.  It would add flexibility to the army to use the LoA command while not the general. 

At first I thought drones were going to be the go to summon but after running a couple of test games it is very slow, which means very low impact.

This was under Menagerie by the way.  Which is super disappointing as I was looking forward to it being a viable alternative.

I am starting to feel like Nurgle is going to end up with the short end of the summoning stick.  

At this point I think summoning a couple of beasts or 10 man plaguebearer speed bumps is the best option most of the time.  

Hi guys,

i'm new to this game and starting with 5 Friends all buying a start collecting box.

We want to Play multiplayer games (mostly in teams) with lists up to 1000 Points.

So i bought the Start Collecting! Deamons of Nurgle Box.

I also want to buy a great unclean one or rotigus.

So which one would you prefer for this army? What else should i order to get to 1000 Points?

After reading for Hours, this was my first idea, please give me some advice :D

1x   GUO or Rotigus (340)
1x   Herald of Nurgle (100)
30x Plaguebearers of Nurgle (320)
3x   Plague Drones of Nurgle (220)

-> 980 Points.

Im open to every Idea around the nurgle theme, still want to build a good list BEFORE buying :)

10 minutes ago, uebelst4r said:

Hi guys,

i'm new to this game and starting with 5 Friends all buying a start collecting box.

We want to Play multiplayer games (mostly in teams) with lists up to 1000 Points.

So which one would you prefer for this army? What else should i order to get to 1000 Points?

-> 980 Points.

Im open to every Idea around the nurgle theme, still want to build a good list BEFORE buying :)

If it's me, I go with GUO w/ bell/blade for the extra movement and spell casting buffs. That's just me liking the big guy, tho. Any and all (eventually) should be a part of your demon lists. But don't stop there....... rot bringers bring a lot to the table as well?

Hi thanks for your Reply, im also happy playing with rotbringers.

ive just bought one start collecting, and now im free to build what i want with nurgles.

Only restriction is the maximum of 1000 Points. And i want to Play One BIG guy in this 1k list. GUO or Rotigus :D

1 hour ago, uebelst4r said:

These units are solid. My 1k list is simmilar, only with Blightkings and Festus instead of the GUO.

If you have the hobby skills, magnatize your GUO so that you can take advantage of different build options. Personally I’ve moved into the bell & blade camp, combat GUO always lets me down. 

5 hours ago, uebelst4r said:

Hi guys,

-> 980 Points.

I think you need 2 battlines at 1K, 

5 hours ago, Tasman said:

Let me weigh in and say that it sue that the maggoth lords didn't get a point reduction.......?

The battletome was made for AoS 2, so it would be surprising if they did. We have decent summoning (now free!), which is taken into account points wise- we all thought our units were a little expensive in AoS 1.0. In 2.0 I imagine we won't feel that way anymore. It's quite possible to summon 10 plaguebearers or even 3 plague drones (for free!!) in a game, especially if you build a list to generate a load more contagion points. 

My opinion about's the menagerie:

-most effective summoning list

-expensive taxe. I would try it with proxies. But can be counter easyly by killing horticulus and placing unit within 3" of feculent tree. GW telling that it'll be super effective but I don't think that it'll be. The salty taxe you pay for horticulus, beast and bataillon let you not taking key unit that you need to be effective since turn 1. 

10 hours ago, uebelst4r said:

Hi guys,

-> 980 Points.

You need two battlelines. For nurgle thats either plaguebearers or blightkings. Could also use marauders and warriors in the slaves to darkness line with a mark of nurgle. GUO is great. Most like the bell and bileblade. I like the sword and flail. But this kit is VERY easy to magnetize so you could buy one kit, put tiny magnets in the two hands (and head I suppose although the head doesnt make a difference in terms of WYSIWYG) and all 6 of the hand options and simply pop one what you want to use that game and take them off for another combination!

With the amount of points required to summon a unit of 3 Plague Drones, are you better off including them in your army rather than hoping to summon?

They have such a good damage output when followed by a daemon hero with 'Witherstave' to add to their survivability, I don't want to go without. 

I also really don't want to use menagerie and I'm wondering if anyone has tested how good Nurgle are at summoning without that?

Cheers!

13 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You need two battlelines. For nurgle thats either plaguebearers or blightkings. Could also use marauders and warriors in the slaves to darkness line with a mark of nurgle. GUO is great. Most like the bell and bileblade. I like the sword and flail. But this kit is VERY easy to magnetize so you could buy one kit, put tiny magnets in the two hands (and head I suppose although the head doesnt make a difference in terms of WYSIWYG) and all 6 of the hand options and simply pop one what you want to use that game and take them off for another combination!

How can i fit another Battleline in a 1k List with GUO?  Can i find any examples somewhere?

Archived