kharadron Thunderers and you

Connelj2

So I'm making this thread to have a talk about thunderer weapons and which ones would be better in which situations

i used the aethercannokn this weekend and was impresses with damage, however even at 4+/2+ not many shots got though, fulminator seems good but I haven't tried it onthe table, as do the mortors, thoughts?

I think the aether rifles are For all around good damage output vs most creatures with a 4+ save.  If the save is 2+ the rifles drop off a bit and it's time for aethercannons.  The other weapons look like a lot of fun,  but the fumigator has too short of a range for my tastes.  Mortars are cool but with no rend I fear you're just throwing spitwads. Remember to buff those shots with a khemist!

For myself I plan on a group of 10 rifles with a smaller group of 5 aether cannons.  The idea would be to park the rifles at some distance and defend objectives.  The cannons will fly around and soften up those harder targets.

Straight up, Aethercannons look good. It's when the other variables (buffs) come into play that they'll start to shine. Put an Aetherkhemist or two in there, and some rerolls dependent on target/Barak, and you'll do fine with them.

Mortars buffed as above in a safe place as well as in numbers are going to be brutal.

I'm not convinced Fulminators are worth anything due to the range.

While I will mostly be playing mortars to save the points of additional boats, if I ran my thunderers in a vessel I would most probably try out the fumigators. They're getting a lot of rage because of their range (pun intended) but compared to the 12" of the aether cannon I do not see it as such a loss, 3" aren't that much... If you're going to get screened by cannon fodder 3" isn't enough to pass through it, it isn't enough to not get charged next turn and usually you'll get close enough to have something at range because of the flying ship so not such a big deal. 

On the other hand, for those 3" which I don't think that really matter that much you're getting quite a lot more of damage per shot. However I haven't tried it out and I'm pretty new to the game, so don't pay me too much attention.

Aethershot Rifle: Decent all around, multiple shots and a 3+ to hit is nice. Also has a -1 rend. 4+ to wound is a negative.

Aetheric Fumigator: Nice suicide squad dropped out of a speeding/deep striking boat. Random shots hurt, because you still need to roll to hit and wound. Nice -1 rend and damage 1 /shrug

Decksweeper: More random shots,  followed by 4's to hit and wound as well as -1 rend and 1 damage. 12" range. Meh.

Aethercannon: 12" range, 4+ 2+ -2 D3. With some to hit buffs, this is pretty good if deployed from a boat. High rend is really nice.

Grundstok Mortar: Board control with a 36" range. Throw an Khemist into the mix with a large group of mortars and it will mitigate the poor to hit/lack of rend with high amounts of shots as well as being kept out of range.

A big group of buffed Mortars are going to do great. Surgical striking Aethercannons will also be devastating particularly with some to hit buffs and a Khemist. Though IMO the more I think about it, you are better off just taking more Arkanaut Company with Light Skyhooks if you aren't taking Mortars. The Light Skyhooks can put out some really great damage and can get a +1 to hit against Heroes/Monsters. 

If I was going to run a squad of these guys with my Seraphon I would be really tempted to go with the Fumigator or Decksweeper precisely because of the random shots. It is a single dice roll for the unit - which is incredibly economical use of both the re-rolls a Starseer generates and of the +1 from his Curse of Fates spell. I don't have the wording to hand, does the once per game re-roll for Barak-thryng work with this?

Otherwise it is too swingy - could be devastating, could be meh.

When I played with the cannons, I really liked the capability to clear out an objective at 1000 point running 5 with khemist that's 10 shots will about 4 shots going though to wound liberators, really helps cleaning out an area

I feel the rifles become a lot less cool when you realize the endrinriggers could pump out the same quality of shots with their pistols in addition to the drill cannons, along with some nice CCW attacks, while also not taking up transport space. they are defiantly not the same, but I think I would rather spend points on the balloon boys rather than rifle- thunderers.

6 hours ago, Dez said:

A big group of buffed Mortars are going to do great. Surgical striking Aethercannons will also be devastating particularly with some to hit buffs and a Khemist. Though IMO the more I think about it, you are better off just taking more Arkanaut Company with Light Skyhooks if you aren't taking Mortars. The Light Skyhooks can put out some really great damage and can get a +1 to hit against Heroes/Monsters. 

Eh, I dunno about the skyhook thing personally,  I was frankly unimpressed when I used mine the last game I played, but I see your point. I personally feel (as a Mhornar pirate! ) that the cannons are the best choice if your putting them in the boats with the general, as with re-rolls against a target a turn allows them to hit a lot more and cause a bunch more damage than vanilla ones. 

8 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I feel the rifles become a lot less cool when you realize the endrinriggers could pump out the same quality of shots with their pistols in addition to the drill cannons

I dont understand what you are talking about here....

G.Thunderers: 100 pts, 5 wounds, 12 shots (8 from normal guys and 4 from leader), 18" range

Skyriggers: 120 pts, 6 wounds, 4 shots, 12" range (assuming you are counting the drill cannon as an "extra" as the wording implies)

The quality of the shots are the same 3+/4+/-1/1 but the quantity and range are significantly greater for taking the Aethershot Rifle. Obviously there are other benefits to taking Riggers, but looking only at the shooting, it seems that the rifles are still just as cool when compared to rivet guns

2 hours ago, Volund said:

I dont understand what you are talking about here....

G.Thunderers: 100 pts, 5 wounds, 12 shots (8 from normal guys and 4 from leader), 18" range

Skyriggers: 120 pts, 6 wounds, 4 shots, 12" range (assuming you are counting the drill cannon as an "extra" as the wording implies)

The quality of the shots are the same 3+/4+/-1/1 but the quantity and range are significantly greater for taking the Aethershot Rifle. Obviously there are other benefits to taking Riggers, but looking only at the shooting, it seems that the rifles are still just as cool when compared to rivet guns

it would be 9 shots at least for the unit of 3 without drill, and I guess my example was bad and I should feel bad. I was just saying I would rather take the riggers in a squad of 6 instead of rifle thunderers in a squad of 10 because of the rigger's quality in both phases and general durability, plus all the other reasons. I'm basically trying to say I would take thunderers for a special weapon instead of the base gun.

19 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

it would be 9 shots at least for the unit of 3 without drill, and I guess my example was bad and I should feel bad. I was just saying I would rather take the riggers in a squad of 6 instead of rifle thunderers in a squad of 10 because of the rigger's quality in both phases and general durability, plus all the other reasons. I'm basically trying to say I would take thunderers for a special weapon instead of the base gun.

Understandable position you have.  The rule of cool is definitely playing into my first 10 having rifles.  In my opinion theyre The perfect objective Overwatch team. Riggers are powerful but I don't see me taking more than 3 to 6 of em. 

On 5/2/2017 at 4:34 PM, Connelj2 said:

When I played with the cannons, I really liked the capability to clear out an objective at 1000 point running 5 with khemist that's 10 shots will about 4 shots going though to wound liberators, really helps cleaning out an area

i had a crew of 5 cannoners and was planning on using a khemist when they came out to roll around with them, but since i had to do something else in the meantime i've been using... 5 more thunderers, which technically gets you the same number of more attacks as a kheist buff..  I'm thinking Khemist probably doest shine as much with minimun unit sizes now as they do with something larger..

1 minute ago, Naflem said:

i had a crew of 5 cannoners and was planning on using a khemist when they came out to roll around with them, but since i had to do something else in the meantime i've been using... 5 more thunderers, which technically gets you the same number of more attacks as a kheist buff..  I'm thinking Khemist probably doest shine as much with minimun unit sizes now as they do with something larger..

Going more thunderers is probably the better option at first.. With khemist it mean output drops significantly with 2-3 wounds

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2017 at 3:41 PM, Dez said:

Aetheric Fumigator: Nice suicide squad dropped out of a speeding/deep striking boat. Random shots hurt, because you still need to roll to hit and wound. Nice -1 rend and damage 1 /shrug

Speeding boat yes, but Deep striking I would say no.  The deep strike mechanic says you have to deploy everything more than 9 inches away from the enemy and they don't get a move; so the Fumigator would have to drop in out of range. 

I find that you have ample volume of low rend shooting - particularly from the Ironclad itself (I use the Aethermatic Volley Cannon) - the 18 odd pistol shots that 6 Skyriggers with saws can spit out and the 2 shots each from Arkanauts. The Thunderers provide the can opener unit with the -2 rend Aether Cannons.

Fulminators 9 inch range prevents them from contributing if you want to do the Airship drop as they will be outta 9.

Avg Wounds Per 5 Gun

Aethershot Rifle 3.33
Aetheric Fumigator  5.53
Decksweeper 4.37
Aethercannon 4.17
Grundstok Mortar 3.33

You add 1 kemist buff:

Aethershot Rifle 5.00
Aetheric Fumigator  8.3
Decksweeper 5.63
Aethercannon 8.3
Grundstok Mortar 6.6

Even in a (potential) 1 kemist buff per unit world Cannons Match Fumigators with additional Rends.  You add more buffs and cannons climb higher and higher on that list.

I will say from a test perspective, Running a foot Urbaz list with 20 Mortars, and a squad of 9 skyhooks in range of my 4 kemists... that was the grossest tabling of a beastclaw raiders I ever saw, killing 3 stonehorns, 2 frostwhatevers, and some mornefang to the man top of turn 2.

• 4 months later...

Archived