TGA Destruction Bros at #SCGT2017 - How we did...

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Just 13 hours of work left before I'm done for the week and can look forward to driving up the coast to Portsmouth for the South Coast Grand Tournament 2017! #hype

I know @DeadlySarcasm had his SCGT prep thread, but I thought it might be cool to get a list of all the players who frequent this forum and are in attendance.

So if you're going, reply with your real name, what army you're taking and what your goals/targets for the event are. I'll keep the list in this post updated and we can try to catch up with each other over the weekend and maybe share a battle brew or two! 

I'll start; I would love to get 4 wins and a top third finish, but 2-3 seems more realistic given I can't win a practice game! :P Either way it'll be great to hang out with new and old friends and I'm sure of some great games.

Tom wall- pure ironjawz- top 100 would be nice. To beat my mate dan hadert (stormcast scum). Both unlikely. Keep track of how many wounds foot causes. But most of all meet new an old bros over a beverage or 10.

Great idea!

I'm hoping to get a decent finish, I think my army is strong and can compete well in all the scenarios. Still riding high on the success of Tommy Burns, I'm aiming for a top 50 finish, although I'm well aware I could fall well short of that!

I just want to go, have 6 great games and stand there with a great big grin on my face because I LOVE playing warhammer.

Main Goal of the General:

• Get my arachnarok to climb over either the Altar or the Silver Tower
  • Get my arachnarok as much terrain as possible (min 1 a game)

Finish:

• Top 50 finish

Personal Goal:

• Have 6 great games
  • Remember said games

Pre SCGT Goal

• Get arachnarok to SCGT without the Howdah breaking 

Post SCGT Goal:

• Never paint a grot again

1 hour ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

I just want to go, have 6 great games and stand there with a great big grin on my face because I LOVE playing warhammer.

F'ing nerd!! ;) 

53 minutes ago, Donal said:

Remember said games

Haha! Nice post, made me lol. This one in particular. Not gonna get "Tomorrow Burns drunk" then?

aaaaannnnd, I've run out of likes, sorry @Soul oWar

I also implore everyone from here who hasn't met him before to seek out Kieran Harper (@Sangfroid) this weekend to say hi and buy him a drink. Whilst he's not playing Ironjawz at this event, he's been a huge part of the Destruction community on this forum and has had some revolutionary ideas and thoughts that have helped shaped the way Ironjawz are played. He's one of us at heart and I have no doubt will be back playing Da Ghostwulfz at events once the GH2 drops.

19 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Haha! Nice post, made me lol. This one in particular. Not gonna get "Tomorrow Burns drunk" then?

I also implore everyone from here who hasn't met him before to seek out Kieran Harper (@Sangfroid) this weekend to say hi and buy him a drink.

The no "Tomorrow Burns drunk" is a general life aim :)

I second people speak to @Sangfroid - Top Bloke

26 minutes ago, Chris Thompson said:

Chris Thompson - Ogres only :D and really just looking forward to being there , anything above last will be a upgrade from 2015 with my dwarfs . Goals would be for my yhetees to kill something or score some points . Still un decided on what to use :(

The pack has changed slightly today, so maybe that might help you decide what to take.

1 hour ago, Chris Thompson said:

Chris Thompson - Ogres only :D and really just looking forward to being there , anything above last will be a upgrade from 2015 with my dwarfs . Goals would be for my yhetees to kill something or score some points . Still un decided on what to use :(

Didn't we play with my dark elves and you won best sports if it was you then awesome game I still remember fondly all or nothing charges at the end into your block with my manticore and dragon with the former killing blow on something important, and your canons failing to hit once all game I believe :-) 

the pack changes are just clarifying a few scoring things but there is a major change to "Capture & control" you now score points equivalent to battleround for each objective no bonus for scoring with general.

22 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Didn't we play with my dark elves and you won best sports if it was you then awesome game I still remember fondly all or nothing charges at the end into your block with my manticore and dragon with the former killing blow on something important, and your canons failing to hit once all game I believe :-) 

the pack changes are just clarifying a few scoring things but there is a major change to "Capture & control" you now score points equivalent to battleround for each objective no bonus for scoring with general.

My cannons killed 6 things in 6 games , themsleves every game :) . Yeah was very lucky to get best sports and had 6 amazing games , gone back to my 1st love ogres now (not a cannon in sight) lol .I played 2 dark elves , were you the warchiefs member (purple hoodies) ?

16 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

there is a major change to "Capture & control" you now score points equivalent to battleround for each objective no bonus for scoring with general.

Oh! I hadn't noticed that. Good shout. That is big. That definitely changes the complexion of the battleplan. @Paul Buckler or @DeadlySarcasm worth sticking something in the chat so people know about that if they don't already (you may have discussed it in your super secret SCGT chat though).

@Chris Thompson - Yeh Kieran is a dirty purple headed chief!

Morning all,

Back to work and feeling more than a little worse for wear after a long weekend wargaming!

Hopefully everyone had a nice time. I was able to catch up with everyone from the thread bar @Chris Thompson I believe? Just thought it might be interesting to have a bit of a rundown on how everyone did and people's thoughts on it. So, out of 182 players we looked like this;

12th - James Box - @Caffran101 - Destruction
74th - Donal Taylor - @Donal - Destruction
75th - Chris Tomlin - Ironjawz
143rd - Matt Brasier - @KnightFire - Ironjawz
156th - Adam Petford - @DeadlySarcasm - Destruction
168th - Tom Wall  - @Tom - Ironjawz
169th - Chris Thompson - @Chris Thompson - Ogors

Firstly, we need to congratulate James on a great finish! Nicely done. Secondly we need to note that there were two Destruction armies in the top 10; @Jack Armstrong and @Sedge so congratulations to those guys as well.

I am disappointed, but not surprised, with my placing. I always like to get around 4 good wins and a decent placing at SCGT, but with the list I was bringing (ie Ironjawz!) in this pack and meta I knew I'd be stretching to achieve just 3 wins. The couple of rules tweaks in the pack (Leader Generals, no stacking) hurt Ironjawz and arguably not a lot else now that Khorne can't stack anyway, so I'd question the need for them.

However, this didn't really stop my enjoyment. I had 6 good games vs nice guys, it was just hard work. But being that I picked Ironjawz over a stronger list I did accept that it would be the case beforehand and had fun regardless. Not putting any pressure or weight of expectation on myself was the right way to go.

I'll report on the games in my thread and on the podcast, but for reference I played;

Beastclaw monsters + Moonclan - Minor Loss
Beastclaw monsters + Moonclan - Major Victory
Stormcast Aquillor gunline - Major Loss
Sylvaneth Gnarlroot 12 greatbow Hunters - Major Loss
Stormcast Stardrake - Major Victory
Sylvaneth standard Gnarloot - Major Victory

Variety is the spice of life and all that ;) 
Didn't come up against any Tzeentch, but that's because I never got high enough up the tables where they were all camped out!!

I think in order to legitimately compete at the moment, Destruction are limited to Beastclaw monsters + Kunnin' Rukk (the Moonclan variant being an option as well I guess). It will be very interesting to see what GH2 brings.

Also, @Ian Gilmore took out painting with his fantastic Ironjawz, super pleased for the Doctor! (He also came 100th!)

It was nice to meet all you guys, the Ironjawz players seemed to share my feelings but it'll be interesting to hear about your weekends!

Chris

I had a great weeked, I had put quite a bit of thought into my narrative (challenging Gordrakk) so it was great to face @Ian Gilmore in the final game, where I could kill gordrakk, for a perfect narrative ending. I had a pretty terrible run of dice through games 1-4 (and my practice game on the friday), being seemingly unable to roll anything higher than a two.  A rough rundown of my games:

Game 1 - vs Flesheater courts, a pretty decent game, and I think it was a reasonable match up for me. I started well, killing his vampire lord on zombie dragon with my maw crusha and only taking 4 wounds in the process. I had some pretty bad rolling, and 5 of my brutes got stuck on mystical at a key moment, and his 6 heroes to my 4 meant he found it easier to contest objectives. I managed to secure a draw on the scenario, but lost on kill points. Modified by him achieving his agenda (kill my general) and me not (kill more characters than I lost, we killed 3 each) made it a major loss.

58fddac5720b9_2017-04-2209_15_36.jpg.2e51d6c6eeec51d4e887977a651f9966.jpg

Game 2 - vs Nurgle blightkings, after a loss in game 1 I decided I needed a win, my opponent castled up in one corner, keeping everything close to maximise the coverage of his aura buffs.  I garrisoned the tower with some aardboys, and it moved to the opposite end of the board from my opponent. I threw one unit at a time at him to hold him up while I racked up points. When the aardboys died I garrisoned it with a unit of brutes until I had an unassailable lead. He achieved his agenda (kill more of my heroes than he lost) and I failed mine, making it a minor win to me.

58fddb21d7e56_2017-04-2213_18_53.jpg.637fc108dd189b050a86b2b7252676de.jpg

Game 3 - vs double stonehorn kunnin ruk. This was a bad match up and I felt a bad scenario for me. Turn 1 I ran my gore gruntas off the board in his terrotory to get my agenda, then spent the rest of the game trying to keep my characters alive to stop him getting his. He won a major victory on the scenario (because anything stood on my objective was in range of his rukk) but I acheived my agenda and he failed, so I got a minor loss.

58fddb0f1fd2d_2017-04-2217_06_46.jpg.99a8cfe3e97cd98be57b89a15a3043c8.jpg

Game 4 - vs mixed order hurricanum shooting. This was the least enjoyable game for me. I took turn one, hoping to get up on points early and then stall him out. I used destruction move + ironfist move to get my gore gruntas and a unit of brutes onto his side of the territory to get an early 4 points, then he shot all my models off over the next few turns to claim a major by holding all the points. I ended up with only my warchanter left, becuase he was out of line of sight (but also out of scoring territory). My inability to roll anything higher than a 2 really hit home this game, with my opponent even commenting that usually when people say they are having bad dice its an exageration, but that with me it was really a thing. The final result was a major loss.

58fddafd9c32a_2017-04-2310_00_13.jpg.27626e1af016b06e5a0e2b13c5f9c4cc.jpg

Game 5 - I was a bit down after game 4, so was delighted to find myself drawn against Steve Foote for game 5, with his Sylvaneth/Stormcast list. I decided to go for the full experience and we played on the big board tiles, which as an amazing experience that eclipsed every other aspect of how the game went. The scenery added a huge amount of immersion to the game. In terms of the game itself, he took the first turn to get some early points on the realm gates, I went next and charged into the stuff on the realm gates, then got the double turn, allowing me to kill it. The fact I had 5 battle line units to his 3 meant I focussed on killing his battle line first, then cleaning up the two treelord ancients. It was a very one sided game, my dice returned to normal rolling, but Steve caught my inability to roll 3+. At the end of the game he decided to focus on killing Zebgrokk (megaboss on maw crusha) which he eventually achieved with his unit of dryads, just before they died.  I got a major win, so was on 2 wins, my minimum I wanted to acheive for the tournament.

58fddae9d9fc7_2017-04-2313_04_03.jpg.54ae01e209cf68f23fa6fc07e6de4c11.jpg

Game 6 - after having built up a narrative about wanting to challenge gordrakk, it was amazing to face him in the final game of the tournanent (from @Ian Gilmore. All thoughts of playing the scenario went out of the window, and I set up to use my units to screen Ian's army from stopping me getting to the altar, then got Zebgrokk there on turn 1. In my next turn I struck the altar, doing 3 wounds to Gordrakk as I challenged him. He attempted to charge me and failed, allowing me to charge him, do a decent number of mortal wounds with the impact hits, and then kill him with the maw crusha in combat. Ian won a major victory in the scenario, and we both failed our agendas (keep the general alive) but I had done what I came to achieve. At the end of the game I there was only an 80 KP difference between the armies (Ian still had his war chanter). I think if I had played to the scenario it would have been a tighter game, (I had a better list than Ian I think, just because a maw crusha + a unit of 5 brutes is better value than Gordrakk) but it would have been far less fun! 

58fddad8841de_2017-04-2316_19_15.jpg.f0695ef662a07e94650f83f2b6c336c7.jpg

@Sedge was peddling Tzeetch filth but @Kanamorf got 13th with bonesniffers at his first scgt showing (another Cheltenham warchief, Ian Spink) great work there! 

Well done guys especially @Chris Tomlin Top 40% (sounds better than top half ;-) and Da other ladz with Ironjawz. This pack was horrible for this pure faction and as the faction hasn't exactly got a lot going for it in the current meta was a tough slog. 

Back to GHB scenarios now for events until the release of the new handbook so hopefully will tip the scales back a little :-) 

myself had a great time and caught up with a few of you but while I do love the tin-men I did miss my Ghostwulfz a lot 

I unfortunately didn't have a good event at all. Not knowing the pack or my army just meant I performed awfully, and wasn't enjoying my games as much as I should have.

I think my foray into mixed destruction is a no go for now, and I'm going to stick to Ironjawz going forward, I just love them so much I feel like a complete idiot for not taking them to SCGT.

As a result, I'm taking a little hobby break to focus on RL stuff that I've been neglecting in the build up to SCGT, so I don't expect to be posting much over the next couple of months.

Even though I lost 5 games, I was able to get 5 agendas which I'm pretty pleased with still, but I will need to give it some consideration as to whether I go next year or not.

Grats to everyone who did really well, especially to @Ian Gilmore for his painting and beating me game 2!

Enjoying reading this so far this morning guys.

Firstly, congrats to James for finishing well. and also for the guys higher up there. There were quite a few destruction lists around the top tables and i was watching a few games to see how people were doing. 

Def disappointed to see how the pack damaged a number of the destruction armies, such a shame as only the mixed filth has really been doing well recently as already mentioned and the pack only helped them imo.

However, this has got me pumped for jumping back on to my Destruction, not payed them much in GHB but have a few cool lists i want to play with. 

This event has made me decide one thing with my destruction. i definitely wont be playing the 40+ Kunnin Rukk archer lists ever. Played against it Game 5 (against a great player and real top guy) but it wasnt great at all.
My opponent tried so hard to be as quick as possible and was prepared before hand with dice and rules, but it was still long and slow turn wise. We only managed 2 turns and both mine we 10-15 max either side of being double turned!! I lost 30-0 for 0 kill points and just watched and waited. My opponent also felt rushed, felt bad and wasnt enjoying himself either (which i dont think the mission was helpful for him either tbh) and all in all killed the day for me as after that i had to play the dreaded game 6 ;). I was tired lol.

I will say it again though, i have no negative thoughts towards the gent i played as he is genuinely an awesome guy and as i know him it was a chance to hang out and chat what ever was happening in the game.

Reason i bring this up is i wanted to know how others got on against that type of list?

And also, did anyone else experience this?

Also to players using it, be cool to hear how you find it and how you get on getting through your games?

1 hour ago, ChippyRick said:

Reason i bring this up is i wanted to know how others got on against that type of list?

And also, did anyone else experience this?

I played against a 30 rukk (plus two stonehorns, see above) on a scenario where you had to stand on a point to hold it. To be fair to my opponent, once he had the upper hand he did try to mitigate the impact of it, he didn't use the rukk to shoot every hero phase, and we worked together removing the misses from the die rolls, which at least gave me something to do.

He was initially going to roll the dice in batches of 50, but I asked him to do 25s for 2 reasons:

1 - Its easier to stop rolling once its dead in batches of 25, if the first 2 batches are particularly lucky you don't need to roll the rest.

2 - I can roll saves for the first batch while he is rolling the second batch of hits

We finished the 5 turns of the game, with me running away to try and stop him getting his agenda, and I think we had a good 30 minutes left in the round. I didn't find it too painful, and I think a lot of that was down to my opponent making a conscious decision to not do everything possible to win the match. If he had used the rukk to shoot in every hero phase he would have probably had the same result, but in 3 turns that ran out of time, and with me spending less time doing stuff.

5 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Firstly, we need to congratulate James on a great finish! Nicely done.

2 hours ago, ChippyRick said:

Firstly, congrats to James for finishing well. and also for the guys higher up there. There were quite a few destruction lists around the top tables and i was watching a few games to see how people were doing. 

=D thanks for the congratulations guys! I am pretty surprised that this weekend went so well for me. I'd like to thank my opponents for taking part in 6 great games over the weekend, especially as they kept smiling each time a thundertusk shot off their leaders. I also broke my curse against Jimbob (after against him in three tournaments in a row).

I felt that the turning point in each game I played came when I eventually got a double turn. I went second in every game I played (none of that was my choice though), and whilst I didnt get the double turn exactly when I needed it, I felt that when the situation arrived I took full advantage of it: two rounds of thundertusk mortal wounds and a rampaging stonehorn is difficult to deal with.

Its a shame that all of the rumors around GHB2 is pointing to my army list becoming unusable. Hopefully it wont arrive before the next competition (Bristol Smash in June).

Frostlord on Stonehorn (battlebrew)

2 Huskards on Thundertusks (blood vulture)

Megaboss (General, bellowing tyrant)

10 brutes (dual wielding)

2 x 10 savage orruks

20 grots (with a fanatic inside)

Great to read everyone's remarks. If nothing else it sounds like it was a great time. Haven't played in a tournament in ages, and never any in the UK, but maybe this is cool event to add to the hobby bucket list! 

Congrats to everyone who did well, and thanks again for sharing! 

Archived